Overall Thoughts on Game? (NO STORY SPOILERS)

MystifyR

What title says, what's everyone's thoughts on the game?

Personally its abit disappointing, the trophies are average at best, ive only played for a few hours and started the Madrugada storyline first.

As well its abit sad to see the skill tree system gone, not a huge fan of how your character is already this master at everything, chain stealth attacks, all weapon slots already unlocked, aswell collectable trophies which i like but when its not even 100% of the collectables you need to collect only like 60% just feels lazy.

I reckon it would've been a great opportunity with New Gen now here the whole Far Cry system needs a huge shake up, cause this game basically feels like Far Cry 5 with a new skin. personally Far Cry 3 was the pinnacle of Far Cry games cause it changed a lot of its gameplay and overall feel from 2, i just feel there sadly just pulling a FIFA or Madden on us now, new game every year, just reskinned.

Overall i mean the game is fun but there's just nothing new, so far i found Far Cry 5 more enjoyable. 

But these are my thoughts and opinions, I'm open to discussion and would like to see what everybody else thinks?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MystifyR said:

What title says, what's everyone's thoughts on the game?

Personally its abit disappointing, the trophies are average at best, ive only played for a few hours and started the Madrugada storyline first.

As well its abit sad to see the skill tree system gone, not a huge fan of how your character is already this master at everything, chain stealth attacks, all weapon slots already unlocked, aswell collectable trophies which i like but when its not even 100% of the collectables you need to collect only like 60% just feels lazy.

I reckon it would've been a great opportunity with New Gen now here the whole Far Cry system needs a huge shake up, cause this game basically feels like Far Cry 5 with a new skin. personally Far Cry 3 was the pinnacle of Far Cry games cause it changed a lot of its gameplay and overall feel from 2, i just feel there sadly just pulling a FIFA or Madden on us now, new game every year, just reskinned.

Overall i mean the game is fun but there's just nothing new, so far i found Far Cry 5 more enjoyable. 

But these are my thoughts and opinions, I'm open to discussion and would like to see what everybody else thinks?

A lot of games today it’s just same game sadly. Assassins Creed/ all sport games/ Call of Duty/ Battlefield/ Fortnite style games and more. If you want original games it’s Hideo Kojima games or indie 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

A lot of games today it’s just same game sadly. Assassins Creed/ all sport games/ Call of Duty/ Battlefield/ Fortnite style games and more. If you want original games it’s Hideo Kojima games or indie 

I can understand that, but for example personally i love the AC games, and to a degree they try new things whether they hit or miss is a different topic for another day. but i pretty much agree with you there, Death Stranding got alot of flack and i could understand why, but then i finally beat the game and the story all came together XD.

Got the shiny Plat last night. I enjoyed it, but found the game to be lacking compared to previous entries in the series. 

I wasn’t a fan of perks being attached to the clothes you wear. Definitely prefer the old perk system where I could level up what I wanted when I wanted to suit my play style, not a fan of mixing and matching clothes to get a few beneficial perks to then have to change outfits mid-fight if my stealth run goes bust and it’s now guns-blazing. I also miss hunting animals for upgrades instead of just installing a new ‘upgrade’ in your Supremo backpack. There was no incentive to hunt in FC6. Also the ability to rest to change day to night or vice versa, why did they get rid of that?! It took away from the freedom to play how I want; I loved stealthing through enemy bases at night. And the main villain was such a non-event and was hardly in the game. Very disappointing. The story was also very forgettable. 

The above makes it sound like I’m really ragging on the game. It’s still good fun. Co-op was a blast. Gunplay was solid, great haptic feedback, and there are some very creative weapons. Plus it’s gorgeous to look at. Overall though, to me it just felt like a stripped down / simplified game compared to previous entries, which were already fairly simple..

Trophy wise, it was a fairly standard affair for a FarCry game. I don’t mind it. Definitely not a challenge though.  

For now, FC 3>2>5>6>4 is how I rate the numbered ‘main’ games of the series (never played the OG). May swap 5 & 6 after some more time with the game, DLC etc

/my2cents

Edited by OTPYG
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, TJsTrophies said:

It's a Far Cry game, that should tall you how it is lol, if you liked the others you will like it, if you didn't, then you won't.

I dunno, it's kind of more nuanced than that. Ever since Ubisoft launched FC4 incomplete, there's been this half-hearted feeling behind these games.

14 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

@OTPYG congrats dude. Any idea why this plats still so rare. Im only a couple hours into it but even trophies like capture all bases is still a ultra rare.

Are you playing the PS5 version mate? Not many of us about on those haha. Might be why its rare.

1 hour ago, TJsTrophies said:

It's a Far Cry game, that should tall you how it is lol, if you liked the others you will like it, if you didn't, then you won't.

Pretty much this. Its a tried and tested formula that for me works and I always find these games a blast. Dont take themselves tok serious and are nothing overly taxing! I like the Unique Weapons in the game and the mods etc you can use and I find its better than FC5 imo.

It is more of the same, which is a little disappointing, but I would hope that for FC7 if they go there, they change it up in some way and make the game a little different and approach it from a different unique angle like Arkane Studios did with Deathloop. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

@OTPYG congrats dude. Any idea why this plats still so rare. Im only a couple hours into it but even trophies like capture all bases is still a ultra rare.

thanks! It isn’t a quick Plat, took me between 40-45 hours (not rushing though) and has been out for less than a week, so that might be why it’s still quite rare. I’ve been lucky enough to have a lot of spare time over its release due to both 1. living in a city still under covid lockdown and 2. looking after my sick pup, so got it finished quite quickly due to not leaving the house!!

• Like 1

As of right now, I would put it as 4 > 5 > 6 > 2 > 3 in the mainline series.. This is very provisional, as I have basically done all side stuff first (save for FND outposts) and have only done around 1/4 of the story. I did it with Watch Dogs Legion and Immortals Fenyx Rising, and its come to be my favourite way to play Ubisoft games - finish with the story. 

6's world design and gameplay is great, some of the best in the series. Yara is beautifully designed, like Hope County was, and I think the FPS gameplay feels noticeably more polished. The supremoes are really cool, and I quite liked the Special Ops. My main criticism currently is the story feels a bit underwhelming as of right now, but again, I'm very early on and its more that it's very light rather than bad. I've only seen 3 cutscenes with Anton and Diego thus far, so I have to expect the story evolves a bit moving forward. Anything from here on is my rambling about the series in general. 

Edited by PhantomFear94

It's growing on me as I wasn't sure how to feel about it at first but I will say that it's just unnecessarily long. I popped the first story arc trophy last night and I'm 15 hours in... I like an epic but the story and characters here are quite poor and tonally it's all over the place. It's trying to deliver this serious narrative but Far Cry is inherently silly so I find myself laughing unintentionally. It's not helped by how weird the character models look - looks early last gen at times. This engine is showing its age; needs an overhaul. 

Also, there are just too many systems to manage that it's unlikely you will engage with them all to their full extent. A lot of it feels superfluous.  Somebody mentioned hunting earlier - I haven't even done any proper hunting and probably won't until I actively pursue the related trophies. Why would I need to trade animal meat when there are so many other systems that grant materials? 

Mechanically it's still fun just going around and one-shotting everything with a silencer but there's just so much fat I find myself getting exhausted by it at times.

My personal ranking of the FC games I've played:

FC5 > FCND > FC 3 > FC Primal > FC 4

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ashbo said:

Are you playing the PS5 version mate? Not many of us about on those haha. Might be why its rare.

Yeah i am but i mean the percentage ratio is low compared to players playing

47 minutes ago, OTPYG said:

thanks! It isn’t a quick Plat, took me between 40-45 hours (not rushing though) and has been out for less than a week, so that might be why it’s still quite rare. I’ve been lucky enough to have a lot of spare time over its release due to both 1. living in a city still under covid lockdown and 2. looking after my sick pup, so got it finished quite quickly due to not leaving the house!!

Thanks dude. Hope your pups better soon

• Like 1

From what I have played so far.. it is a disappointment compared to prior Far Cry games.  The gear system is horrible in so many different ways.  Ubisoft has no understanding of how to make fun or interesting loot.  There are no set bonuses, no rarity tiers for gear, no interesting modifiers, all of the items are bad looking on your character, no gear loadouts to quickly switch between items and no defense numbers to actually be able to tell how much that "minor blast protection" buff actually benefits me without just getting blown up a ton of times with and without the gear on.  As far as weapons go.. almost all the weapon modifiers you can unlock are trash or uninteresting and the new bullet types are crap because you can't switch on the fly and things like poison/blast rounds just nerf your ability to kill enemies with that gun too much.  You can no longer get an explosive round sniper rifle that can tear through animals, armored guys and vehicles alike to just have fun terrorizing baddies.  You gotta switch to different guns for each of those things now.  Ultimately, the most efficient way to play is just get armor piercing rounds on a rifle/sniper rifle and headshot everything in stealth while wearing nothing but movement speed gear.  It also has an additional benefit of preventing the idiotic amount of respawns that come out of thin air when you get into a loud firefight.  If I deviate from crouch walking around and headshotting people with a silencer the game gets tremendously irritating in a very unfun way in a hurry on action difficulty.  It makes almost all of the guns feel like I am just making the game harder for myself if I try to use them.

Removing the perk system and replacing it with armor pieces that grant skills was such a stupid idea.  No one wants to lose out on tons of quality of life skills by having to swap gear for them.  Like I would love to be able to have increased swim speed, but if I have to put on a piece of gear every time I enter the water then I am just not going to do that.  It is a GIGANTIC drop in quality of life.  I have found myself wearing move speed gear mostly the entire game because it is always good and everything else is too situational to be worth hitting the pause button and changing my gear one slot at a time for one situation then changing it back after that 10-15 seconds of usefulness ends.

Most of the game's activities are just a direct rip from Far Cry 5 as well, but they took out all the fun and interesting side quests and characters.  The story just feels insanely been there done that and phoned in to me so far.  A lot of the crazy fun stuff from prior Far Cry games is just not here.  The game direction feels like they are trying to push it more toward a traditional shooter with gear mechanics so they can incentivize charging money for gear because that is the only progression system in the game. 

Far Cry 6 is easily worse than Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, 4, 5 or New Dawn, in my opinion.  It might be good for people who want less RPG mechanics and would rather just play a generic open world shooter that doesn't do anything special, but I find it to be dull and lifeless.  The game also has a fair amount of annoying glitches.  The world map shows already collected items sometimes, I had my companions refuse to spawn after a period of time that required restarting the game and sometimes my M79 grenades just clip through whatever I am shooting at and do no damage just to name a few.

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Elegy said:

From what I have played so far.. it is a disappointment compared to prior Far Cry games.  The gear system is horrible in so many different ways.  Ubisoft has no understanding of how to make fun or interesting loot.  There are no set bonuses, no rarity tiers for gear, no interesting modifiers, all of the items are bad looking on your character, no gear loadouts to quickly switch between items and no defense numbers to actually be able to tell how much that "minor blast protection" buff actually benefits me without just getting blown up a ton of times with and without the gear on.  As far as weapons go.. almost all the weapon modifiers you can unlock are trash or uninteresting and the new bullet types are crap because you can't switch on the fly and things like poison/blast rounds just nerf your ability to kill enemies with that gun too much.  You can no longer get an explosive round sniper rifle that can tear through animals, armored guys and vehicles alike to just have fun terrorizing baddies.  You gotta switch to different guns for each of those things now.  Ultimately, the most efficient way to play is just get armor piercing rounds on a rifle/sniper rifle and headshot everything in stealth while wearing nothing but movement speed gear.  It also has an additional benefit of preventing the idiotic amount of respawns that come out of thin air when you get into a loud firefight.  If I deviate from crouch walking around and headshotting people with a silencer the game gets tremendously irritating in a very unfun way in a hurry on action difficulty.  It makes almost all of the guns feel like I am just making the game harder for myself if I try to use them.

Removing the perk system and replacing it with armor pieces that grant skills was such a stupid idea.  No one wants to lose out on tons of quality of life skills by having to swap gear for them.  Like I would love to be able to have increased swim speed, but if I have to put on a piece of gear every time I enter the water then I am just not going to do that.  It is a GIGANTIC drop in quality of life.  I have found myself wearing move speed gear mostly the entire game because it is always good and everything else is too situational to be worth hitting the pause button and changing my gear one slot at a time for one situation then changing it back after that 10-15 seconds of usefulness ends.

Most of the game's activities are just a direct rip from Far Cry 5 as well, but they took out all the fun and interesting side quests and characters.  The story just feels insanely been there done that and phoned in to me so far.  A lot of the crazy fun stuff from prior Far Cry games is just not here.  The game direction feels like they are trying to push it more toward a traditional shooter with gear mechanics so they can incentivize charging money for gear because that is the only progression system in the game. 

Far Cry 6 is easily worse than Far Cry 3, Blood Dragon, 4, 5 or New Dawn, in my opinion.  It might be good for people who want less RPG mechanics and would rather just play a generic open world shooter that doesn't do anything special, but I find it to be dull and lifeless.  The game also has a fair amount of annoying glitches.  The world map shows already collected items sometimes, I had my companions refuse to spawn after a period of time that required restarting the game and sometimes my M79 grenades just clip through whatever I am shooting at and do no damage just to name a few.

Could have said it better myself ?

6 hours ago, Elegy said:

What you said about wearing parkour gear and and just one-shotting everything with a silencer has been my preferred way to play as well. Just a tip though, you can mix and match items and their perks. No need to equip the entire set so if only one item makes you move faster (for instance, there are boots that make crouching faster) then the rest of the pieces you are free to wear what you want without having to constantly swap out.

Agreed about them taking activities from Far Cry 5 and making them less fun. They somehow managed to ruin the treasure hunts which were my favourite thing to do in FC5 and New Dawn. Here, they're uninspired and lazy.

I am really enjoying the game. I am over halfway tru the story. I have had some weird issues but nothing major. It is a blast to fly around in some of the helicopters and wing suit. I do have a few things that are extremely annoying.  I think they missed the mark with not having a 3rd person option for the game. This game need that option for the whole game. Especially for the driving. This game also a Preston from Fallout 4 ? of people always asking you if you want information. Seems every time you go to a base or capture an area somebody always hollering at you. The information is good they give you. The enemy spawns can be a pain also. You take over a checkpoint and there are tons of enemies that just keep coming and stack up on the road. I hope there is some good DLC and PLEASE BRING Far Cry Blood Dragon remake to the PS5!!!! 

1 hour ago, upindat said:

I am really enjoying the game. I am over halfway tru the story. I have had some weird issues but nothing major. It is a blast to fly around in some of the helicopters and wing suit. I do have a few things that are extremely annoying.  I think they missed the mark with not having a 3rd person option for the game. This game need that option for the whole game. Especially for the driving. This game also a Preston from Fallout 4 1f602.png of people always asking you if you want information. Seems every time you go to a base or capture an area somebody always hollering at you. The information is good they give you. The enemy spawns can be a pain also. You take over a checkpoint and there are tons of enemies that just keep coming and stack up on the road. I hope there is some good DLC and PLEASE BRING Far Cry Blood Dragon remake to the PS5!!!! 

yer i wouldnt mind some 3rd person in the driving sequences atleast, the whole base building system and 3rd person camera there bugs the hell outta me how its only in camps but the whole camp thing is garbage to me.

Pretty sure Blood Dragon is coming to ps5 tho, if you get season pass it says it comes with Far Cry Blood Dragon, doubt it would be a remaster tho, probaly be what they did with far cry 5 and released a HD version of FC3 which was basically just the PC version.

1 hour ago, MystifyR said:

yer i wouldnt mind some 3rd person in the driving sequences atleast, the whole base building system and 3rd person camera there bugs the hell outta me how its only in camps but the whole camp thing is garbage to me.

The camp system is pretty lame as well.  There is no depth to it at all.  The Cantina also seems to be entirely glitched right now.  You are supposed to be able to purchase meals that give buffs in exchange for meat (not actually cooking anything.. it is just a vendor).  However, I have found that whenever I buy any buff and leave.. I come back and I can't purchase it again.  So initially I thought it was just because the buff was already active so I bought something else and it said it replaces the currently active buff.  Okay.. that is fine, but the real issue shows up after coming back to the Cantina again.  Now it says I can't purchase the same buff again.. and I can't purchase the one that I had before that I supposedly overwrote because the game still thinks I have that one too.  This same trend kept occurring and now there are like 5 buffs I can longer buy when I visit the Cantina and the active buff that shows in my arsenal menu isn't even the last one I bought or even want.  I was forced to just swap between two different food buffs to get the 15 meals purchased trophy since the only time this glitch corrects is when I purchase a completely new meal.. then I can purchase any of the other meals again that were previously greyed out within the menu.  I no longer use the Cantina at all, because presumably I'd run out of new meals to purchase to fix the glitch and have all 15 greyed out eventually.  It is 100% broken and unusable and it feels like it wasn't tested at all.. a completely useless camp building.

Hunting and fishing seem mostly pointless beyond trophies because there are far easier ways to get all the resources and the Cantina is broken garbage.  The only useful camp buildings seem to be the one that grants access to more fast travel spots + wingsuit.. and the bandidos camp building that lets you send recruits out to gather resources.  The other 4 are junk.  I don't even know if Ubisoft play tested or sanity checked anything in this game.  Why is this stuff so pointless?

Edited by Elegy
  • Like 2

On 2021-10-12 at 9:57 PM, XXIIlII said:

Damn someone actually likes collectable trophies :0

Haha! Personally I love when games have these half-assed collectibles trophies where you only need to collect half or 70% or whatever.

I just finished Bioshock 2 recently. This time around, the game only required you to discover 100/130 audio diaries rather than all of them, and it was amazing what a huge difference that little wiggle room made to the overall experience.

It meant that I was able to just explore and focus purely on enjoying the game, without having to obsessively consult a guide every 2 seconds to ensure I didn’t miss a single diary or collectible (like I did in Bioshock 1). I played through the entire game without following any sort of guide and was able to just fully immerse myself in the incredible world.

I really wish more games would do this. I hate having to make a choice in most games between either spoiling the immersion and experience by following a guide as you play, or wasting a ton of time having to do a second playthrough or chapter select mop up (this option is even worse when games don’t have proper collectible tracking). 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

Haha! Personally I love when games have these half-assed collectibles trophies where you only need to collect half or 70% or whatever.

I also really like this, mainly because it gives you some leeway if one of the collectibles bugs out or something.  I'm looking at you AC Valhalla.

Edited by jh7459
Update
  • Like 2

The more I play the more bored I’m becoming. It’s becoming a chore to finish the game in general. Not sure what it is for me. I love the environment but I feel like this Far Cry is so “blah”. I’m trying to avoid making this a  perverse review, as I haven’t finished the story, but I just can’t seem to get into anything about the game. The old far cry mission system felt like a better build than this new “operations” system. I feel like I could careless to help the people desperately asking me for help.  I am getting super irritated with the spawning of the more enemies feature, it ruins the fun for me. I don’t need to have reinforcements coming in, with no alarm being activated, via helicopter almost every single time.*

I am happy to read of those who are enjoying it, at least they accomplished a great game for many. I’m just not one of them, sadly. No more full price Far Cry games for me.

* I ended up taking the survey Ubisoft sent out via email. They got more details than this review since it was a direct communication to the developers on what I disdained.

• Like 2

On 2021-10-14 at 10:14 AM, jh7459 said:

I also really like this, mainly because it gives you some leeway if one of the collectibles bugs out or something.  I'm looking at you AC Valhalla.

Exactly. ? I feel like it still makes you do enough work to make you want to thoroughly explore the environments looking for stuff, but also gives you a bit of a cushion for a few that you may miss or might glitch on you. When collectibles are done like this I actually don’t mind them at all, especially if they are related to the game’s lore.

• Like 1