Struggle to get S-rank

its_ArchroniX

Am I the only one who finds it incredibly difficult to achieve S-rank?

I have finished the game and am now on my way to get the platinum trophy. I manage the red rings just fine, and here I don't have too much trouble either but to get S-rank at each level is extremely difficult.

No matter what I do or what I try I always get to A-rank. I'm not a big fan of 'speedrun' trophies (ironic, with a game like Sonic) but find them very doable in other games so far. I even follow videos where they show the best route to take to get S-rank but still, I just can't do it.

Anyone have any tips/tricks? The trophies that I still have to finish for the most part are the red rings and the S-rank trophies, but this is making it a chore that I am reluctantly working on.

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 1

The best way to get S ranks is to farm points using wisps. You can get hundreds of thousands of extra points just by staying in the drill wisp form as long as possible. Destroying everything as frenzy, bouncing along walls as laser, and collecting the blue coin things as cube can quickly rack up points as well. 

Sidestepping repeatedly on the long straight parts can get points where you'd otherwise not be getting any.

There's a cap on how many points you can get with a particular method, though.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

Does Super Sonic help this any, or does he not give enough points?

The trick is getting almost all red rings in a single run, and then abuse wisp powers (Like using a drill back and forth constantly instead of moving forward) to get points. Speed and rings won't give you nearly as much, but you still need to finish within a certain time.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 1:15 AM, DawningWolf55 said:

The trick is getting almost all red rings in a single run, and then abuse wisp powers (Like using a drill back and forth constantly instead of moving forward) to get points. Speed and rings won't give you nearly as much, but you still need to finish within a certain time.

100% Tropical Resort as a test, and yeah, it is pretty much this.

To those who may be intimidated, it honestly didn't seem too bad, once you get an idea of a stage's cutoff time and which wisps respawn indefinitey, it becomes fairly simple to rack up S-rank points.

'Course, I don't wanna get too ahead of myself, as it was just the first world.......

• 1 year later...

Old post but it's still a popularish game based on recent players. 

S ranks aren't that bad. You don't even need all 5 red rings on many of the stages so far I've tried. Really you just need between 3-5 depending on the level and to use all the wisp powers you can. 

I thought it was going to be an annoying grind but once you know the level layout it's  not that bad if you're using wisps.