RipvanX

2 good games, 2 bad ones

17 posts in this topic

Coming off hot and pissed at the Anniversary Collection and going straight into Dracula X and HoD was a bad idea. These 2 games are so atrocious in terms of design and presentation. Dracula X makes Rondo of Blood look bad while HoD has the worst backtracking in the series combined with a dog shit soundtrack. Most notably the music from the caverns and clock tower made me want to shove my head through the wall after hearing it for more than 10 minutes.

Without a video guide I would have never made it through. It’s like that uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures screaming “ONE MOORE THING!” over and over because the locked doors throughout the game are so obnoxious to get around and find their respective keys. Not to mention how poorly some of the portals are labeled on the map and having to literally double check every single location was terrible. (That giant marble room was the biggest offender).

Looking forward to revisiting CotM and AoS down the road but the prior 2 titles killed all my motivation to keep going for now. What’s sad is that I beat HoD back in the day as a young teen in the mid 2000’s, so I have no idea how I managed that.

Edited by RipvanX

I'm probably one of the few people in the world who feels the complete opposite on Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance, COTM is probably one of the worst Castlevania games post-SOTN era IMO. It feels like nothing like SOTN and just doesn't fit in especially with that awful DSS system, there is no story, the dialogue is trash, who the hell is Nathan Graves?? The enemy variety sucks and you know they do when they way too many color palettes of the same enemy (Armored knight) luckily this game isn't non-canon so it can actually be ignored, you can just tell Igarashi had nothing to do with the game.

Harmony of Dissonance actually feels like a successor to Symphony of the Night with how everything is, yes the soundtrack isn't the best, but they had a valid excuse for that, but I know people don't bring it up just to make their argument seem strong. The story is actually a much more improved version than whatever COTM had with the whole "Friend being jealous of the main character being chosen to hold the whip and defeat Dracula" situation. 

I played and beat the Advanced Collection recently so this opinion is fresh, COTM is not as good as people made it out to be all these years, very overrated game that doesn't deserve the praise it gets. 

Y'all gonna be mad at me for this, but I really like all four 🥴

Edited by Motherboop

I'll do you one better - never played any of the 4!

Well, not entirely true - played through some CoM but it was via an emulator (which i generally dislike) and I never finished it.

Wait... did I say that out loud?!?

Wait, 4 games? I thought there were only 3 Castlevania games on GBA; Circle, Aira and Harmony. 

….what’s the fourth, Rondo? Dracula X?? Symphony??? If it’s any of these, then why is it called the ADVANCE collection!?

I had a pretty shitty experience with Rondo of Blood so I’m not sure I even want to bother with these. 😕

7 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

I had a pretty shitty experience with Rondo of Blood so I’m not sure I even want to bother with these. 1f615.png

Just to be clear most of these are metroidvania, with the exception of Dracula X. Even then you have save states and rewind so you’ll probably have a better time than you did with Requiem.  

22 minutes ago, bikeman223 said:

Just to be clear most of these are metroidvania, with the exception of Dracula X. Even then you have save states and rewind so you’ll probably have a better time than you did with Requiem.  

Thanks for the info. I will take a closer look at these ones. I think Castlevania is a cool series and would love to explore more entries in the series, it’s just after Rondo of Blood I’m not exactly itching to jump into another one like that again.

It was only Rondo that I had a bad time with. The other half of Requiem (SOTN) was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. 🙂

sweet more castlevania, is dracula x and dracula x chronicles the same? I saw some of the chronicles gameplay and it looked amazing, really nice boss fights.

17 hours ago, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

sweet more castlevania, is dracula x and dracula x chronicles the same? I saw some of the chronicles gameplay and it looked amazing, really nice boss fights.

Nah, Dracula X Chronicles is 2.5D remake of Rondo of Blood. Dracula X/Vampire's Kiss is SuperFami/SNES variation of the product and it's essentially a downgraded version of the same story.

Glad I decided to continue, I had to wash the bad taste of Dracula X and HoD out of my mouth. The difference in quality compared to CoTM and AoS is day and night (no pun intended). I played these over 10 years ago so forgotten almost everything. At least Dracula X is short and can use passwords to skip most of the game like the Anniversary Collection.

HoD almost broke me though, it’s my least favorite Metroidvania and will never touch it again.

Edited by RipvanX

On 10/14/2021 at 4:14 AM, OniHunter2003 said:

I'm probably one of the few people in the world who feels the complete opposite on Circle of the Moon and Harmony of Dissonance, COTM is probably one of the worst Castlevania games post-SOTN era IMO.

You're not completely alone here. I bought Circle of the Moon, and really didn't like it at all back in the day. I can't compare it to any future Castlevanias, as it was literally the last one I played.

6 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

You're not completely alone here. I bought Circle of the Moon, and really didn't like it at all back in the day. I can't compare it to any future Castlevanias, as it was literally the last one I played.

Have to agree, CoTM feels really clunky compared to the other castlevania games. Feels like a cheap off-project they did with the lack of item variety and level design too. I remember getting it for christmas the year it came out and didn't like it that much compared to SoTN. Although I really enjoyed HoD and AoS

Forgot Dracula X was in this, so I started laughing, thinking “Yeah, HoD be like that.”

Never played Dracula X in this version, so can not really say how bad it is yet.

As for HoD, cut that middle part after teleporting to Castle B and game would be generally great. At least compared to CoM it is not clanky. CoM really requires a lot of effort to do simple movement and responsiveness just always fails, can not even play it with analog stick. CoM showed how difficult is to use arrows on DS4, got my fingers erased to blood:).

Plus, damn, another collection and still there is no option to turn music off completelly. I respect composers, especially Yamane, but please, this 8 bit music... Have to put general volume on bare minimum and media player to maximum, and still in moment of silence between tracks those tunes just scratching my brains.

15 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Never played Dracula X in this version, so can not really say how bad it is yet.

As for HoD, cut that middle part after teleporting to Castle B and game would be generally great. At least compared to CoM it is not clanky. CoM really requires a lot of effort to do simple movement and responsiveness just always fails, can not even play it with analog stick. CoM showed how difficult is to use arrows on DS4, got my fingers erased to blood:).

Plus, damn, another collection and still there is no option to turn music off completelly. I respect composers, especially Yamane, but please, this 8 bit music... Have to put general volume on bare minimum and media player to maximum, and still in moment of silence between tracks those tunes just scratching my brains.

The GBA wasn't exactly known for having quality soundchip to it. Every game has that scratchy sound to it

I've beaten the three GBA games and enjoyed them all quite a bit. Circle of The Moon - while I still like it - is my least favorite, while Aria of Sorrow is my favorite of the three.

That said, both of those specific games in this collection share one thing that I despise to no end; absolutely horrid RNG for obtaining certain collectibles.

I thought that collecting the cards in Circle was bad enough, but getting certain souls in Aria is easily some of the worst RNG I've ever experienced.

I grinded for gold to buy the Soul Eater Ring in the hopes that having it would make collecting more tolerable, but it didn't appear to help with getting souls all that much.

(Especially when considering how expensive it is compared to everything else you can buy from Hammer in the game, let alone how expensive it is in of itself)

Even went out of my way to get a Chronomage soul so I could get a Sky Fish soul with it, and there still appeared to be little difference.

The luck stat in Aria also seems pretty worthless from what I can tell, and there doesn't seem to be a way to increase it in any significant or meaningful capacity.

Ended up getting all of them anyways because I'm an extremely stubborn girl, for better or worse, but holy hell was the journey mind-numbing. 😂

This admittedly makes me a little concerned for how annoying getting the platinum trophy for a hypothetical collection of the Nintendo DS Castlevania games will be.
(Primarily due to the fact that most people seem to think that Dawn of Sorrow is even worse when it comes to RNG for soul collecting than Aria is)

Edited by Zephrese