Game Thoughts

SnowNinjaRaccoon

I have personally no problems with a game being difficult but seriously, this game is pure bullshit to be honest.

Let's start with the genius decision of getting hit preventing you from sprinting - you have to reload, a mob is approaching you so you want to get in safety to reload but the moment you turn your back some random zombie will basically zoom in on you, hit you and you won't be able to sprint anymore. Before you are able to reload your gun you already lost like half your HP.

The game spawns special enemies waaaay too frequently to be able to keep up with it. Just had 6 tall guys spawning in a radius of 20 meters of me... just to fuck me over cause the attempt was good.

But what happened soon after was the cherry on top of the bullshit cake - a tall guy spawned out of thin air and grabbed me the moment he spawned. I have a clip of it, he was nowhere to be seen but suddenly I got grabbed...

This game is just artificially difficult for the sake of it. This game could be so much fun if it wasn't for this crazy unbalanced bullshit.

Also some cards simply don't work - like the one that is supposed to grant you temporary health with each shotgun pellet? I got temporary health maybe once from it.

I am usually the last to whine about a game needing a patch because of the difficulty but I definitely see myself waiting for a patch due to the game being just unfun and wasting my time with crap like this.

Edited by SnowNinjaRaccoon
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

Worst game you have played in years? you have either not played many games or have been under a rock for the past 3 years. the industry has forgotten that QA even exists 

Show me where I said it was the worst game in years? I said the game is bullshit, not that it is the worst game I have played. That award goes to We Happy Few.

2 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Show me where I said it was the worst game in years? I said the game is bullshit, not that it is the worst game I have played. That award goes to We Happy Few.

Oh no, don't say things like that, I'm looking forward to We Happy Few... I didn't have time to play it yet ? ?

• Like 1

In the first couple of days, that was my main gripe with the game - the inflated difficulty. Chucking 5 or 6 special Ridden (often of the same type) did not make for a fun encounter. Then on Thursday, the devs announced that they'd lowered the special ridden spawns across all difficulties. Since then, I'm enjoying the game a lot more. There's still bouts of bullshitness and I've just had a game end on the run to the saferoom after it spawned 3 of the grabby-type Tallboys to incap most of the team but generally, I think it's better now. Not perfect but better.

Although this is on recruit, mind. The other difficulties are a whole different story.

7 minutes ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

Well the title of the thread suggests that lol. Im not advocating for B4B ive no intention of ever playing it, was just saying we have been served many steaming piles of shit in the last few years, Avengers, Anthem, godfall, cyberpunk, balan wonderland just to name a few just from the last 2 years lol

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

World War Z does the same thing if you get hit, then it cancels your sprint

WWZ was the reason I started this game cause I was hoping for a similar experience. WWZ, however, has more methods to equalize that - you can camouflage yourself with smokes and with its 3rd person view you have a better overview when someone approaches you from behind.

22 minutes ago, anotherfangirl said:

Oh no, don't say things like that, I'm looking forward to We Happy Few... I didn't have time to play it yet 1f605.png 1f62c.png

The game is simply said broken. All its mechanics are broken - if is unfinished. All the survival mechanics like eating, sleeping etc. can be totally ignored with no punishment whatsoever. The pills mechanic is also completely pointless. The fact they charged full price for that is criminal. Sorry for telling you the truth - see it more as a friendly warning to stay away from that crap xD

16 minutes ago, Ac3dUd3- said:

Well the title of the thread suggests that lol. Im not advocating for B4B ive no intention of ever playing it, was just saying we have been served many steaming piles of shit in the last few years, Avengers, Anthem, godfall, cyberpunk, balan wonderland just to name a few just from the last 2 years lol

Yeah and as I said, game is fine just totally unbalanced which makes it not fun in its current state.

And I have played Balan... thanks for reminding me that pile of crap exists. Thanks to you I won't be able to sleep tonight cause of the nightmares about the game returning lol

While I agree that there's a bit too much variability in how many mutations spawn, I wouldn't go as far as to say the game is unbalanced. The "roguelike" element might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it gives the levels a lot more replayability. Sometimes levels are a cake walk and sometimes they are ridiculously hard, but that's just the nature of it. It gets a lot more manageable after you start unlocking the better cards like the one that let's you escape grabs.

Personally, I'm having way more fun with this game than WWZ. The level/enemy variety is much better here.

I'm finding a lot of this is down to 2 things:

1. RNG.

No two ways about it, because of the nature of the randomness of the AI Director, you could have the absolute worst possible run even on Recruit with what the game decides to throw at you & what items it spawns for you. On the flip of that, you can get lucky & have runs that literally feel like a walk in the park with how little it throws at you. RNG always finds a way to mess with players & this is no different.

2. Skill level of the players you match with & their ability to be a team player. 

This is another hugely defining thing but it does seem like it's getting better as time passed from launch. I've had games where people couldn't even last 5 minutes due to being overwhelmed or not staying together & then others where I've done entire acts with the a group no problems. The better players get, the easier they can adapt to the AI when it decides to bully your team. Sometimes no matter how good your team is, the AI Director can and will just be punishingly unfair, that's the fact of roguelite style games.

I've just done the whole of Act 1 on Veteran up until the finale with 2 PC players & a bot with relative ease but had to leave before playing the finale. In early access and on launch day, that never would happened but as time goes on, the average player skill level will drastically increase, it already has in the last week alone & this makes harder levels & harder difficulties easier to manage.

Also the game has only been out for general release for 4 days which isn't enough time to grab anywhere near enough data to make drastic changes,  as time goes on, there's no doubt spawn rates & difficulties will be tweaked & changed as feedback rolls in.

Players will either have to adapt & get better & find people to play with regularly to form their own groups with or be patient with the devs & give them time to tweak things in the right direction.

Try managing your ammo better and try switching weapon instead of reloading when your clip is empty. Can get you out of a tight spot. Also try and equip more movement related cards to make it easier to avoid being grabbed/slowed. Stick to the bottom supply line if you want movement cards.

You shouldn't be getting surrounded so often, your team mates need to be watching out for you in those situations. I would also say probably 9/10 times you get surrounded is because your team was split up and not working together.

Just try lowering the difficulty until you get better at the game and unlock more cards and you'll have a much better time. I sucked at first as well but I'm steadily improving with practice and a better build. And I'm by no means an FPS player at all.

I was 

On 16.10.2021 at 2:46 PM, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

I have personally no problems with a game being difficult but seriously, this game is pure bullshit to be honest.

Let's start with the genius decision of getting hit preventing you from sprinting - you have to reload, a mob is approaching you so you want to get in safety to reload but the moment you turn your back some random zombie will basically zoom in on you, hit you and you won't be able to sprint anymore. Before you are able to reload your gun you already lost like half your HP.

The game spawns special enemies waaaay too frequently to be able to keep up with it. Just had 6 tall guys spawning in a radius of 20 meters of me... just to fuck me over cause the attempt was good.

But what happened soon after was the cherry on top of the bullshit cake - a tall guy spawned out of thin air and grabbed me the moment he spawned. I have a clip of it, he was nowhere to be seen but suddenly I got grabbed...

This game is just artificially difficult for the sake of it. This game could be so much fun if it wasn't for this crazy unbalanced bullshit.

Also some cards simply don't work - like the one that is supposed to grant you temporary health with each shotgun pellet? I got temporary health maybe once from it.

I am usually the last to whine about a game needing a patch because of the difficulty but I definitely see myself waiting for a patch due to the game being just unfun and wasting my time with crap like this.

Hey Ninja, thx for your headsup, I always like your guides and posts and you really are one of those around here I trust in terms of assessments so I think I gonna wait for a patch. I really want to play this game with three friends at a later point. It would be super nice if you update this thread in the future in case the balancing changes for good. :-) 

On 16.10.2021 at 9:24 PM, Skurkitty said:

This game broke my heart. I was so excited for it, and it was a steaming pile of shit. I know your pain.

100% agreed, this game could have been so so good, endless potential. A mixture of Clockwork Orange with Dishonored flair but in the end it was a broken mess :-( 

Totally agree the games bullshit and artificially difficult to the extreme.

There’s barely any normal infected, just torrents of Specials. They’re far too tanky, so far too much damage and they’re beyond annoying.

The gameplay itself also isn’t all that good, it’s not as tight or refined as I expected for the spiritual successor to L4D. The card system is so superfluous it’s hilarious. Half your cards barely have an effect on the game, yet the Corruption cards it forces you to use at times are literally game changing in the unfair way way possible.

World and level design sucks too, you constantly revisit locations, they’re boring to play through and the missions suck ass.

Its 2 for 2 imho of Turtle Rock absolutely flopping. It’s not the worst game ever, but it’s still pretty fucking terrible and a 4/10 at best.

I already traded it in; used the £45 credit to get Red Dead 2, The Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3, so at least my purchase didn’t go completely to waste.

One of the most disappointing games I have EVER played.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DavySuicide said:

Hey Ninja, thx for your headsup, I always like your guides and posts and you really are one of those around here I trust in terms of assessments so I think I gonna wait for a patch. I really want to play this game with three friends at a later point. It would be super nice if you update this thread in the future in case the balancing changes for good. :-)

Thanks for the kind words. I am just always trying to be honest I guess - if a game is shit I will tell you it is shit, if a game is unfair I will tell you that as well.

B4B is far from being shit, it is good but as I said - pretty bullshit. Most of the time the game just decides it wants you dead and there is not much you can do about it.

I only need the final act on veteran and I am not looking forward to Nightmare.

The big problem is: the leap between difficulties is just too much - hear me out why.

You should either make the enemies tougher or reduce the amount of starting points - not both like the game does.

On Recruit you get a starting point with each mission, so if you fail you can start from that mission - on Veteran you get a starting point on average for every other mission, if a chapter has 5 missions you will get one at the very start and at the 3rd mission - on Nightmare you only get 1 starting point.... so when a chapter has 5 missions you will have to do all of them without failing. This is ridiculous honestly. Not only you have no checkpoints but you have to deal with the RNG hell this game is.

I can already see people raging while failing at the last mission of a chapter cause the game decided to throw an army of armored Tall Boys + a Hag + burning zombies at you.

They should really add more checkpoints to Nightmare if they want to keep the ridiculous RNG and difficulty. Just my 5 cents.

• 1 year later...