Ps5 keeps hardcrashing while playing Genshin Impact Ps5 version

M1_J4_

So basically, i play for a random amount of time and then the system’s completely turns off, being unable to turn on until i unplug the power cable once. This happens only when playing Genshin impact on the ps5 version, other ps5 games are no problem at all 

if this is revelant: my console is from winter/christmas last year meaning its 1. almost 1 year old and 2. it one of the ones made when it was really new 

Hope anyone can solve my problem or at least relate to it 

• Like 1

The exact same thing happened to me a few times too. On both Genshin Impact and Assassin's Creed Valhalla, but no other games. At times it happened several times a day, and there was a period where it'd happen every day for about a week. It could happen while I was playing, but most often it seemed to be during long periods of me being AFK or on menu screens. 

I've never had the overheat warning message, but there were some signs that it was a heat related issue. At first I took the side plates off and it stopped happening. When I put them back on, eventually the problem came back so I moved the console somewhere more spacious. I had to replace the power cable with something longer to make that possible. Since I did that in July it hasn't happened once, so one of those things may have had an effect.

It could all just be a coincidence though. I haven't played my PS5 as much recently, although I still regularly play Genshin when I do.

The Ps5 did this to me twice now in the past two weeks, once on Diablo 2 Resurrected and once on Far Cry 6. I moved it from the area I had it and put it into a more exposed area, and hope that is what is going to stop it. But it was getting insanely hot. For a day I had the back facing my leg and the amount of heat this thing pushes out is absurd. It hasn't happened again yet, I do game a ridiculous amount so if it does happen again, I will return to give a follow up message. But I do believe it is heat related right now as well like Shadio believes.

Edited by Gecko-Byte
Proper time frame
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 3:05 PM, M1_J4_ said:

So basically, i play for a random amount of time and then the system’s completely turns off, being unable to turn on until i unplug the power cable once. This happens only when playing Genshin impact on the ps5 version, other ps5 games are no problem at all 

if this is revelant: my console is from winter/christmas last year meaning its 1. almost 1 year old and 2. it one of the ones made when it was really new 

Hope anyone can solve my problem or at least relate to it 

This happened to me on the PS5 with genshin and some other games. It hard crashed and did it more and more often. I then took the plate off and vacuumed the vacuum hole and even used compressed air on the fan. After that, tons of dust came out and I didn't have that issue until four months later. In which I did the same thing and it stopped doing it.

On 10/16/2021 at 3:47 PM, Gecko-Byte said:

The Ps5 did this to me twice now in the past two weeks, once on Diablo 2 Resurrected and once on Far Cry 6. I moved it from the area I had it and put it into a more exposed area, and hope that is what is going to stop it. But it was getting insanely hot. For a day I had the back facing my leg and the amount of heat this thing pushes out is absurd. It hasn't happened again yet, I do game a ridiculous amount so if it does happen again, I will return to give a follow up message. But I do believe it is heat related right now as well like Shadio believes.

You should do as I have suggested and vacuum through the vacuum holes and use compressed air on the fan

So I have come back to make an update, my frustrations with the console are triple folding and I am at wit's end of trying fixes that I have researched and been told to do by both Sony and people around the internet.
When I first posted it did it twice, but the problem has only gotten worse.

The very day I installed the latest firmware I was getting this issue but it wasn't bad at all.

Things I have been told to try in the past few days
- Cleaning Fan
- Cleaning Power Unit (All of which I did a week prior to the firmware update, so re cleaning it didn't give much of anything dust wise)
- Rebuild Database
- Try new AC Cord
- Try new Power Outlet
- Rebuild Database
- Factory Reset and Reinstall Firmware
- Turn off HDMI Device Link
- Check my Power Settings (Rest mode is deactivated)

Thing is I can play almost every Ps4 title flawlessly without the console aggressively shutting off on me, but once I turn on a Ps5 game its on burrowed time, usually now like clockwork giving me only 15-30 minutes top. Nothing is warm, I have used a temp gun and temperature probes to monitor the heat as well and nothing is out of the ordinary for me.

I do believe I have a defective console at this point that took a year to show its true colors, I work tomorrow but I will be calling Sony back on Friday to further discuss and possibly get the system sent in, I am at the end of the straws on trying things that are all just making it seem like its getting worse.

Edited by Gecko-Byte
FIxing Paragraph

Sounds like heat issues anytime it shuts down and doesn't come back immediately. Can't say this has happened to me yet and I got my console in March, but I've really only played 2 PS5 games. Everything else has been off my PS4 backlog. The key isn't cleaning the fan, you need to get to the heatsink. That's how I've kept all my other consoles (including launch PS2/PS3) working this long. Usually this means further disassembly which might make some people nervous.

Saying try new cords and rebuilding the database is BS. It's like calling for PC repair and they say turn it off and on. It's probably not gonna help but the 'tech manual' has to start with the dumb stuff.

On 2021-10-18 at 9:14 PM, Gecko-Byte said:

So I have come back to make an update, my frustrations with the console are triple folding and I am at wit's end of trying fixes that I have researched and been told to do by both Sony and people around the internet.
When I first posted it did it twice, but the problem has only gotten worse.

The very day I installed the latest firmware I was getting this issue but it wasn't bad at all.

Things I have been told to try in the past few days
- Cleaning Fan
- Cleaning Power Unit (All of which I did a week prior to the firmware update, so re cleaning it didn't give much of anything dust wise)
- Rebuild Database
- Try new AC Cord
- Try new Power Outlet
- Rebuild Database
- Factory Reset and Reinstall Firmware
- Turn off HDMI Device Link
- Check my Power Settings (Rest mode is deactivated)

Thing is I can play almost every Ps4 title flawlessly without the console aggressively shutting off on me, but once I turn on a Ps5 game its on burrowed time, usually now like clockwork giving me only 15-30 minutes top. Nothing is warm, I have used a temp gun and temperature probes to monitor the heat as well and nothing is out of the ordinary for me.

I do believe I have a defective console at this point that took a year to show its true colors, I work tomorrow but I will be calling Sony back on Friday to further discuss and possibly get the system sent in, I am at the end of the straws on trying things that are all just making it seem like its getting worse.

Update: The recent update entirely fixed my issue, I haven't hard crashed in days and my apartment is always sitting between 83F and 86F without my thermostat even being on, so it definitely eliminated my issue being heat related.

The Update that started the issue for me, and the update that seemingly fixed my issue were less than a week apart. I didn't check any update patch notes, but possibly more than I was having this issue as well?

Edited by Gecko-Byte

Sucks when an update can do crap like that but that's also why I hate forced updates. I always say don't fix what isn't broken, and the majority of updates don't give us anything useful (who needs the streaming/social media BS?). I've decided to skip the last couple updates and sounds like I made a good choice if this is what's going on.

• 4 months later...

So I haven't had this issue since I cleaned out my PS5 and moved it to a more ventilated place, but I found this post about it the other day:

tl;dr, this person thinks the issue is being caused by the power supply clogging up with dust and overheating. I can't verify it, but if anyone else is still having this issue then maybe this is something to try

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having issues for about 6 months now, myself. Started sometime in October 2021 and still haven’t found a fix…

For reference, I have a release day PS5 - disc version.

Never had issues with my PS5 until Ghost of Tsushima came out with their update in October, 2021. If I remember correctly, there was a PS5 update about the same time? First time I noticed a hard crash, I was play Call of Duty Cold War (downloaded version of the game). Next time I started having issues was when I was playing Back 4 Blood (also downloaded version). The issues progressively got worse when playing Back 4 Blood but yet any other game I’d play, I never had issues. 

I called Sony and they sent me the instructions on how to put in safe mode and try repairing and resetting the PS5. Every downloaded PS5 game that I own, I have deleted from the system and re-download and nothing seems to work. Sony sent me a shipping box to send my PS5 in to have it looked at, but was told it could take up to 6 weeks and I have yet to send it in. 

I have since finally narrowed it down as to what causes the hard crash for my console. ANY PS5 game that is downloaded to my console makes it hard crash. I then have to unplug the power as you stated, to turn it back on. If I have a PS5 disc, no issues. Downloaded games for the PS4 also do not cause any issues, it’s only the downloaded games for the PS5. 

It takes approximately an hour for the first crash to happen. If I reset and turn it back on and let the PS5 repair the drives and start playing again, the second crash tends to be anywhere from 15-30 minutes after reset. Third and future crashes progressively get shorter in time before continuing to crash. The PS5’s fans are never loud and the system doesn’t seem hot. 

I am going to try and perform the cleaning mentioned Shadiochao’s post above and will report back. 

Edited by Registered_User

Yeah that's weird. There seem to be a few clues leading to some kind of storage issue. Did you upgrade? I think they need a heat sink. I mostly buy disc games so very few games are DL'ed and I've no need to expand storage. Anyway if the fans are tied to the CPU/GPU then I dunno if an overheated drive would give a warning.

• 1 year later...

Going to necro this so there's more visibility on this stuff happening. Genshin very reliably hard crashes my ps5 due to what I can only assume is poor optimization. Even in a small building that I need to load into and during a dialogue scene, the ps5 will heat up so much it will crash. No other game I play does this and there's no reason why a mobile game should incinerate my ps5.  It takes less than 10 minutes of watching in-engine cutscene dialogue for Genshin to manage to hard crash my ps5 and need my internal and external drives to rebuild themselves. 

Yes, if I have better ventilation I can slow down this from occurring but why do I need to give my ps5 such pristine optimal conditions to play a mobile game when I can instead run any of my other games without worry. If the idea was to play it because it was free, it's going to cost you more than the price of any full priced game if you need to replace your whole ps5.

Edit: update, I tried to play again and ended up putting the console to rest after maybe 10 minutes and Genshin still crashed my ps5, even when in rest mode. Latest update didn't seem to make anything better, but possibly worse.

Edited by Kinokee