Favourite Far Cry Games In Order

Ac3dUd3-

Now that there are 9 Far Cry games, how would you personally rate them from best to worst? What did you like what didnt you like?

1. Far Cry 3 - widely regarded as the best in the franchise and I have to agree, everything from story, visuals, things to do in it all just click and its an excellent game
  2. Far Cry 6 - for me this is hot on the heels of FC3, I really enjoyed the story, setting and environment. They really captured the "brutal" part of dictatorship and the politics were not in your face. all around the 2nd best in the franchise.
  3. Far Cry Primal - wooly mammoth and saber tooth tigers what's not to love!
  4. Far Cry 4 - I dont remember a great deal about FC4 but it was a solid game, nothing horrible nothing amazing.
  5. Far Cry New Dawn - More of FC5, was meh but better than FC5
  6. Far Cry 5 - Loved the visuals, the landscape and fishing etc, i was really turned off by the strong religious push. couldnt stand the main antagonists so it drops score because of it. 
  7. Far Cry 2 - Low because i havnt played it myself, only watched videos. Its on my to do list.
  8. Far Cry Classic - Low because i havnt played it myself, only watched videos. Its on my to do list.
  9. Far Cry Blood Dragon - I liked the story and setting I just couldnt stand the visuals of looking through a "retro" camera. Struggled to even finish it because of this.
  • Like 4

From the ones I've played:

1. Far Cry 5 - setting, gameplay, and characters were awesome, story was enjoyable

2. Far Cry 6 - setting and graphics were good, characters weren't that great and the gameplay was a downgrade from FC5

3. Far Cry Primal - all around solid, got boring quick though

4. Far Cry New Dawn - colors were cool and was fun to play, felt more like an expansion to FC5

5. Far Cry 4 - very boring, lack of fast travel areas, couldn't even finish it.

Haven't played:

Far Cry 3 (would probably be high on my list if I played it)

Far Cry 1

Far Cry 2

Far Cry: Blood Dragon

Haven't play 6 yet but this is my list from best to worse:

Blood dragon.

FC 2 - The "hardcore" FC.

FC 3.

New Dawn.

The rest were kinda boring:

FC 5.

FC 4.

FC primal.

FC 1 - The only thing I remember about this is that it was very hard.

So yeah the DLC one's were better than some of the main games for me.

And I wish we get more games like FC 2.

Edited by XXIIlII
  • Like 1

1. Far cry 5 - loved the seed family and seeing good ol’ us of a. Great story too. 

2. Blood dragon - would be #1 but too short! 

3. Primal - thought I wasn’t gonna like it but I had a lot of fun with the club and bow. Did more clubbing than a teen in the 60’s 

4. New dawn - a lesser version of 5 but still good, cringe villains reminded me of the twins from borderlands 3 but even less intimidating and funny somehow 

5. Far cry 3 - it was would’ve been better if vaas was main villain instead of the other guy and Jason was really obnoxious to play/hear. 

6. far cry 4 - boring personally 

• Like 2

Blood Dragon 

Classic

Primal 

Haven't played New Dawn and 6 yet. 

3 and Blood Dragon are awesome. 

4 is good, 5 and classic are OK, primal is boring and 2 is an insult and one of the worst AAA games I've ever platinumed (and I'm referring to the singleplayer part here not the hilariously bad MP) 

• Like 1

1. Far Cry 3 (Formula felt fresh and new at the time)

2. Far Cry 6 (would be 1st if the formula hadn't been used that often)

3. Far Cry 4

4. Far Cry Classic (completely outdated tech and enemy AI. Would be cool to have a remake)

5. Far Cry New Dawn

6. Far Cry 5

Haven't played that much of far cry 2 and primal so far but since they got me bored pretty quick they are just competing for place 6 and 7.

Haven't played blood dragon at all but will do and i hope it's better than 2, primal 5 and new dawn.

Good thread ?

Only played 1 & 2 on 360 and will play BD through FC6 season pass as a remaster.

FC3 - Vaas was excellent, great music and gameplay and the game as a whole was a blast.

FC New Dawn - I didnt overly enjoy FC5 and thought this would be more of the same, but I actually enjoyed this more and the story angle too. Mickey and Lou were great and their Highwaymen Bandit organisation was done well.

FC6 - This is on par with ND. Very enjoyable and fun to play. Story wasn't the best and Anton Castillo for me wasnt the best protagonist FC have done, however some of the missions were great and I really enjoyed the Special Ops modes. I milestoned this one for plat 750.

FC Primal - This for me was great. The removal of tech and weapons was quite refreshing and although arguably this was a reskin of FC4 which wasn't great I had fun with this and enjoyed story and animal companions.

FC5 - I enjoyed the setting and the combat etc, but the protagonists were annoying and I jt wanted the game done around 3/4 in.Just wasnt as engaging as I hoped it was going to be. Don't get me started on the dlc, it was shit!

FC4 - I didnt hate this, I just found it boring off the bak of how good FC3 was. Didnt like Pagan Min, thought the story was meh and ironically enjoyed the dlc more despite how crap FC5's dlc was.

Far Cry games are a tried and tested formula that Ubi are happy with it seems. Its always more of the same with a few tweaks here and there and the plats are always fun to go for.

I do believe now though (well probably since after Primal), they need to freshen it up and alter it somehow and change the direction a little as repeating the same concept is getting old a little. How they do this I dont know, but maybe in FC7 they will??

Edited by Ashbo
  • Like 2

1) 3 - 'Foke....deece.....heeeeat!'

2) Blood Dragon - Incredible game

3) 4 - Even loved the Yeti's DLC

4) 5 - Still good, but annoying multiplayer

5) New Dawn - Interesting, but my least favorite 

Havent finished 6 yet. Never played Primal or anything else.

Edited by TheGoaler
Spelling
  • Like 1

1. Far Cry 3 - Best villain by far and it's the game that perfected the open world FPS genre.

2. Far Cry Primal - It did something completely different and I absolutely adore it for that.

3. Far Cry Blood Dragon - Just a really cool concept

4. Far Cry New Dawn - Loved seeing the setting of 5 turned on it's head and if not for the Splinter Cell reference this one would be much lower ?

5. Far Cry 5 - I loved the setting and really dug the villain.

6. Far Cry 2 - A few years back I would have put this at number 1 but in my age I've grown to love the simplicity of the newer ones and find this one way too masochistic.

7. Far Cry 4 - A perfectly fine Far Cry but to me it just played like Far Cry 3-2 and it just didn't do enough new things to set itself apart. Like the Yeti DLC though.

8. Far Cry Classic - Still very good considering its age. However it's a little bit long and some of the levels are a tad uninspired. Also the protagonist is dreadful.

I haven't played Far Cry 6 yet although I do intend to. I just refuse to pay full price for Ubisoft games cause it will literally be half price by Black Friday.

• Like 1

I still have recency bias for FC6 right now but as it stands:

1. Far Cry 6. Really grew to love this game after initially forcing myself to play through it. Now I'm sad that it's over.  I 100% the map (well, those missions that weren't bugged)  which wasn't required for platinum but I just wasn't ready to leave Yara yet. I hope Ubisoft release a NG+ and an infamous difficulty trophy like they did with FC 5. The final act is really good but I think that's because of the order in which I chose to do the missions. Best protagonist in the series by far. In fact, I don't really care for the villains DLC; I'd rather just continue Dani's story.

2. Far Cry 5. I'm sure once the recency bias settles down this might end up taking my top spot again. I thought it was a much needed change of direction focusing more on discovery and exploration as opposed to the map just revealing everything  via climbing towers. Loved the treasure hunts and I think they nailed the oppressive nature of the cult while maintaining a consistent tone.

3. Far Cry New Dawn. Just really fun. Great RPG mechanics. Made me weirdly nostalgic for 5. Enjoyed the expeditions mode too.

4. Far Cry 3. Good campaign but the open world was very overrated even back then. It may have introduced the FC formula but Far Cry 5 perfected it. It has a lot of problems that people just tend to gloss over for some reason.

5. Far Cry Primal. I appreciate Ubisoft trying something different with this one and it was the first one I played to do way with the towers, thank goodness. Clever combat mechanics.  It's very clearly a spin-off title but a good one for its length and better than the next game on my list whose map it uses.

6. Far Cry 4. Meh. It's like a mechanically more polished Far Cry 3 but without the interesting campaign. I did enjoy Troy Baker's performance as Pagan Min. He's actually my favourite villain of the series. 

Haven't played Blood Dragon, 2 or the first one. I'll probably play Blood Dragon when I get the season pass (on sale).

• Like 1

Here's my personal list, from best to worst:

1. Far Cry 6 - Seems like it's the most refined and polished blueprint ever since they took this path with Far Cry 3. I finished it completely a while ago. I enjoyed my time with it, at times I loved it, the story's compelling for sure! But I wish they didn't stretch out the narrative beats and use Giancarlo Esposito as a marketing crutch. Because he's definitely not the focus of the story, Dani is. Also: Dani is the best protagonist of the entire franchise, full stop. Giving her (my Dani was female) a voice and a likeable personality was a tremendous move. Making her sing along randomly with radio hits is a stroke of genius, by the way. I'm done with silent protagonists at this point ... Aside from Gordon Freeman maybe. I am hoping the next Far Cry will actually innovate sufficiently, though.

2. Far Cry 5 - The entire angle of the cult, the payoff at the end and the addition of those sidequests, the AI companions, and so on: it is still a really enjoyable game. It has a banger of an intro sequence which might be my favorite out of all the Far Cry games. And Joseph Seed is one of the most charismatic villains this franchise has seen yet.

3. Far Cry Primal - Unique take on the gameplay, and warping the setting into the Stone Age was definitely refreshing!

4. Far Cry 3 - For many, it's one of *the* Far Cry classics. If not the definitive classic. A bit barebones by today's standards, but it did pave the way for the games to come.

5. Far Cry: Blood Dragon - Serving as an homage to 80's pop culture, it is packed with funny references, the gameplay is over-the-top and the main character was voiced by none other than Michael Biehn. Fan service galore if you grew up with 80's movies. Probably the best spin-off besides Far Cry Primal.

6. Far Cry 1 - The one that started it all. I remember the freedom it offered back in 2004, it was unprecedented. It's been many years since I last played it, but it's a keeper.

7. Far Cry 2 - I was a big fan of Far Cry 2 initially, but it slowly decayed as the years went by and better Far Cry games came out. I wasn't even satisfied with the endings available. I don't think I could play Far Cry 2 again, just because nearly all the other main entries did a better job.

8. Far Cry 4 - This Far Cry was in hindsight a disappointment. It felt like Far Cry 3.5 and the story didn't even stick with me at all when I finished it. I was just glad I could platinum it and be done with it. It is by no means a bad game, but it's the least interesting main entry.

9. Far Cry: New Dawn - I remember almost nothing about this game, despite it being only two years old, I think? The way they wrote off the Deputy, the diminished role of Joseph Seed in the spin-off, the lackluster villains, the rehashing of the open world which got nothing more than a fluorescent lick of paint, ... I just don't care about this game. At all.

So in conclusion:

Best main entry: Far Cry 6

Best spinoff: Far Cry Primal

Worst main entry: Far Cry 4

Worst spinoff: Far Cry: New Dawn

• Like 3

Far Cry 2 - toughest and my first. Really a great game that had some ridiculous multiplayer trophies added to them

Far Cry 3 - really started the open world Ubisoft formula but had great mechanics and a good antagonist.

Far Cry Blood Dragon - Long Tall Sally...nuff said

Far Cry 4 - the characters weren't as great but I still had a lot of fun with this one. World felt varied enough to not make it so boring and grindy.

Far Cry New Dawn - it was fine. Wish the antagonists were better developed or not nearly as obnoxious. 

Far Cry Classic - I don't like this one. Linear, not very well upgraded, and the enemies kind of suck. It did give us Uwe Bolle's Far Cry so there's that.

I own Far Cry 5 just haven't played it yet and no interest in Primal. 6 maybe I'll try down the line.

Edited by Francofone

I am in the middle of FC6 at the moment and will just give my ranking up to this point. I'll update once I have finished 6.

1. Far Cry 3- It will be difficult to remove this from my top Far Cry game. After struggling to like 2, this come along and Made what people consider the Far Cry formula. Vaas will always be one of my favorite villain's. Like someone mentioned, he should of been the main villain. I thought everything was right about the gameplay. The perks were first introduced in Far Cry 3. 

2. Blood Dragon- I actually played this before 3 and it remains my second favorite. I have a feeling it may drop after 6 is done. Anyways I loved all the 80's refences and so many good one liners in the game. Loved the retro look of it. Made me feel like I was back in my childhood again. Looking forward to playing it again when it releases in the FC6 season pass.

3. Far Cry New Dawn- I actually enjoyed this more than 5. I liked the look that they give the game. They introduced expeditions and I liked doing them. I thought the twins were Okay as villain's.

4. Far Cry 4- Pagen Minn was a decent villain. Other than him, I don't really remember a whole lot about Far Cry 4. It did have the ability to ride Elephants, I do remember that.

5. Far Cry 5- I had higher expectations for 5. I liked the idea of being in the USA and going against a cult. For me it was a struggle to get through. The story didn't connect with me like I thought it would. The game play was more of the same. I didn't like that each of the 3 before the father had their own territory and you could tackle them in any order. It felt like it disjointed the story for me and it wasn't as cohesive as it should of been.

6. Far Cry Primal- I like what they tried to do with it and it was fun first starting out. It got kinda boring quickly.

7. Far Cry Classic- I only am putting this before 2, because I finished Classic and never finished 2. I probably shouldn't even rank 2 for that reason. Classic wasn't good. I know it is an older game and I didn't play it until the PS3 version. If I had played back when it first come out, I may have thought otherwise about it.

8. Far Cry 2- I am only putting it here because I never finished the game. I remember liking the environment and some things about it. Other than that I can't comment to much.