Wanting to try out a horror/survival game. Looking for recommendations

damcrac5

Suggestion for horror/survival genre entry.  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What would be a great entry into the horror/survival genre. PS3-5 or Vita available.

• Alan Wake Remastered (PS5)
    • Tormented Souls (PS5)
    • Resident Evil (Comment with which title)
    • Silent Hill 3 HD (PS3)
    • Other (Please comment with suggestion)

I've been getting interested in trying out different genres of games that I have played in the past.  Horror/survival and Racing are ones that I am looking to jump in.  The poll has titles that I've been considering.  Nothing over the top difficulty wise and nothing very long(<30 hours to 100%).  I was looking at RE2 or 3, but have access to 7.  Might hold off on 8 and see what the DLC ends up being.

What are your thoughts and recommendations?

• Like 1

I would've voted for Silent Hill, if that HD collection wasn't so jank. Instead, I'll suggest the Resident Evil 1 remake, which is not only one of the best horror games I've ever played, but among the best games period. It does everything a remake should.

Don't be too concerned about fixed camera angles and tank controls, because alternate 3D controls are always available on the analog stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EverythingOnFire said:

Can't go wrong with either Alan Wake or Resident Evil 7. Both are legitimately great & unique experiences. Neither are very difficult either, though I can't comment on what it's like to 100% them.

Looking at 7's DLC, that leads upward of 30-40 hours alone, lol.  Maybe I'll hold off on it if I really get into the genre.

35 minutes ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

I would've voted for Silent Hill, if that HD collection wasn't so jank. Instead, I'll suggest the Resident Evil 1 remake, which is not only one of the best horror games I've ever played, but among the best games period. It does everything a remake should.

Don't be too concerned about fixed camera angles and tank controls, because alternate 3D controls are always available on the analog stick.

I don't mind janky controls.  I've been playing PS3 games in the last couple of months that can kind of feel off but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying them.  RE1, based on it's guide on the site, may be a great option.  Only $20 digitally.  I've always heard good things about 2 and 3, so this is a new one for me.

57 minutes ago, Helyx said:

Maybe try 'Back in 1995'.

That actually seems like the kind of game I can appreciate on the Vita. Will have to check to see if it is available digitally, lol.  Not that I'd consider it a true entry into the horror/survival genre. 

52 minutes ago, damcrac5 said:

I don't mind janky controls.  I've been playing PS3 games in the last couple of months that can kind of feel off but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying them.  RE1, based on it's guide on the site, may be a great option.  Only $20 digitally.

Controls aren't really the issue with SH3 HD. That version is just littered with problems which make it far inferior to the PS2 and (particularly) PC releases, especially sound screw-ups, such as monsters playing incorrect sound effects, and at the wrong pitch. That said, if it's the only way you're able to play SH3, then it's probably still worth it.

But, yeah, I don't think you'd regret picking up RE HD. ?

• Like 1

I think the REmake (Resident Evil HD) is a great starting point. Originally for the Gamecube but still holds up beautifully today.

I'd say closely behind that, you've got Amnesia and Outlast. I dislike the changes made from the originals in the Silent Hill HD Collection but as a first time player I don't think they'd bother you. Silent Hill 2 especially is one of the greatest games ever made, horror or otherwise.

There's a lot of great horror between PS3/4 but I'd ease in with the above. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJ__Beatroot said:

Until Dawn will make you jump.  Great game!

I've heard how good the game is and forgot I had it via PS+ collection. Might give this one a go.

3 hours ago, Ragtag_Dude said:

Dude, play Evil Within.

That is a 9/10 and 50 hour plat, lol.  Great game eh?  Maybe for a spare account, then. 

3 hours ago, LC-Fraggers said:

I think the REmake (Resident Evil HD) is a great starting point. Originally for the Gamecube but still holds up beautifully today.

4 hours ago, ScarecrowsFate said:

But, yeah, I don't think you'd regret picking up RE HD. 1f642.png

Sounds like I've got a front runner. Do I just snag the RE HD bundle disc that include 1 and 0?

4 minutes ago, damcrac5 said:

Do I just snag the RE HD bundle disc that include 1 and 0?

Don't see why not, although opinions of Zero are fairly mixed among fans and critics, so maybe don't play it first. Bit of an odd duck in the series, but I thought it was okay when I played it on GameCube ages ago.

• Like 1

Though the frame rate is a bit suspect on PS4, I'll recommend Control as a PS5 game. I've played through it on the PC and liked it, and it'll be one I rebuy for PS5. Control's horror is more paranormal and psychological than gory. Being a Remedy game, the AWE (altered world event) expansion does have a tie-in to Alan Wake. AWE offers more scares than the main game content.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Though the frame rate is a bit suspect on PS4, I'll recommend Control as a PS5 game. I've played through it on the PC and liked it, and it'll be one I rebuy for PS5. Control's horror is more paranormal and psychological than gory. Being a Remedy game, the AWE (altered world event) expansion does have a tie-in to Alan Wake. AWE offers more scares than the main game content.

I won a copy of Control Ultimate edition for PS5 a couple months back. I didn't know it fit into a psychological horror.  I saw it as an third person action game that looked very entertaining.  Guess I've got 2 horrors between that and Until Dawn to test the waters. Then move on to RE 1 HD.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

21 hours ago, damcrac5 said:

I've heard how good the game is and forgot I had it via PS+ collection. Might give this one a go.

That is a 9/10 and 50 hour plat, lol.  Great game eh?  Maybe for a spare account, then. 

Sounds like I've got a front runner. Do I just snag the RE HD bundle disc that include 1 and 0?

Sure but be aware that RE0 is considered by many (myself included) to be one of the toughest- if not the toughest- game in the entire franchise. Just don't jump into that one expecting a cakewalk if you're new to the genre.

Edited by LC-Fraggers
  • Like 1