God of War 2018 coming to Steam, January 14th

Sylvanticore

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sony just wants you to buy, period. If they can get a lot of new people to buy one of their products four years after its release, then that’s a win for them and the new people willing to hand over their cash. 

I understand that but. Exclusives games has always sold a system. And Sony had great exclusive games for decades. This way, why should people actually get a ps5 when all the games gets released on PC later at some point

7 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sony just wants you to buy, period. If they can get a lot of new people to buy one of their products four years after its release, then that’s a win for them and the new people willing to hand over their cash. 

Sounds great if they can keep people on their consoles and only get additional sales from PC.

Sadly, there will be folks that drop the console and simply wait for PC ports. This means those people stop being Sony hardware, Sony games and 3rd party games from the Sony ecosphere.

What a great exchange for 70% of sales on Steam.

Looks like Sony is playing checkers, not chess and are ignoring the long game.

Edited by TJ_Solo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Sounds great if they can keep people on their consoles and only get additional sales from PC.

Sadly, there will be folks that drop the console and simply wait for PC ports. This means those people stop being Sony hardware, Sony games and 3rd party games from the Sony ecosphere.

I dont think it is too simple. I havent bothered checking the requirements, but maybe building a PC good enough to run some of those games smoothly might be expensive and a turn off to many people. Plus you have to wait for a while before the game is released on PC. Others might simply enjoy gaming in a console, not on PC.

But I agree that it is a risky move. If it was an exclusive that no one cared, but GoW is maybe the biggest of the exclusives, it is like Nintendo releasing Mario or Pokemon on Steam. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zircon_Lotus said:

I dont think it is too simple. I havent bothered checking the requirements, but maybe building a PC good enough to run some of those games smoothly might be expensive and a turn off to many people. Plus you have to wait for a while before the game is released on PC. Others might simply enjoy gaming in a console, not on PC.

But I agree that it is a risky move. If it was an exclusive that no one cared, but GoW is maybe the biggest of the exclusives, it is like Nintendo releasing Mario or Pokemon on Steam. Time will tell. 

You don't need to build a PC. Actually, for people wanting a new 3070 GPU it is easier to just buy a pre-built or even a capable laptop.

Time will tell? the story was already told with Xbox. Sony is just repeating it.

16 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

Or the other way. People who played this (and Horizon) on PC will want to play the newer game who will be available on a Sony console.

7 minutes ago, Tempestad_cl said:

Or the other way. People who played this (and Horizon) on PC will want to play the newer game who will be available on a Sony console.

You think that a person on PC will go out and buy a PS4 or search for a PS5 in order to play the next Horizon game when they waited years to play(either discounted or pirated) the first one?

Sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

More people got to play Sega games. That worked out well for decades. 

If you think Sony as it is now is comparable to Sega in any way, you have some issues or you're just trying to mess about. 

Either way, your comments in most posts are off base or simply not worth replying to. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

What is this figure based on and what do you mean? 70% of what sales?

Let's look at the demographic you think Sony is being short sighted on:

Owns a Playstation 4 AND a capable gaming PC (you're already at a pretty small market)

Is interested in first party Playstation titles BUT doesn't buy them for four years after launch (reducing the size of that market further)

Decides that they'll forgo any more console gaming and move exclusively to PC (apparently they only titles they purchased for their console were first party)

Willing to wait four years to play any of the titles that motivated them previously to purchase and own a console, but now has no interest in

I don't think Sony is sacrificing much in that case, and the potential to reach a lot more people who never owned a Playstation console to begin with is much greater than any loss. Sony isn't hurting for console unit sales and the video game market grows significantly each generation so there will be plenty of new people to take up the space vacated by such lackadaisical Playstation gamers as you've described.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vergil said:

This way, why should people actually get a ps5 when all the games gets released on PC later at some point?

If they can't wait 4 years - they'll buy a PS5.

If they can - they'll wait for a potential PC port.

Games like Horizon and GOW already have their dedicated fanbases that will buy the sequels day one. A share of people will wait. Sony's job now is to know how substantial that share is. I'm sure people at Sony did some calculations/checked the statistics, and found an optimal time frame to sell each PC port and not damage their console sales. 

If they didn't, well. They may always rethink the decision in the future.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MandA60VISE said:

But what about the previous games that are needed to understand the story?

This. I am always fine with sony waiting a couple of years and launch their games on PC. But this is strange. Same logic to Uncharted. How can someone play U4 on PC without knowing the story. The previous iterations of Uncharted and God Of War make a huge difference on the impact of these games. GoW trilogy and Nathan Drake Collection should go to PC as well.

Story without context it is not really story, just filler.

bmg_ps.png

What is this figure based on and what do you mean? 70% of what sales?

Paying Steam a 30% royalty for using Steam's store. So Sony gets 70% of the sale. 

Let's look at the demographic you think Sony is being short sighted on:

Again, your comments assume everyone now is locked into whatever platform they have. 
Selling a game on Steam will have no butterfly effects at all for people that may be on the fence what platforms they want to spend their future time and money on.

Previously it was a matter of getting 0 Sony games outside of a Sony system. Now, if one waits long enough you can get more than 0. Sure, you aren't getting all of them yet and can't pick which ones you get but waiting will get you something. That could be fine for some people and even reduce their desire to get Sony hardware thus reducing the chances of Sony selling 1st and 3rd party games on their hardware.

Time will tell, yes? It didn't work out too great for Xbox and their decision. Maybe it will be different for Sony? I am not predicting anything but merely covering an option or two that isn't completely sunshine and rainbows.

Edited by TJ_Solo