Should PS1/PS2 games have trophies if Sony can use their cloud service and your disk.

amurnin100

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Sony has already considered it, considering they filed for a patent that does exactly that in 2013.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/03/sonys_latest_patent_could_bring_trophies_to_older_games

The patent application was updated again last year:

This already works with PS2 games on PS4 and on so-called "remasters" of LocoRoco and Parappa (which turned out to be running under some kind of emulation). Sony has the technology already to run these games. They won't run with a disc, because the framework isn't there to support them, and PS3 has a vastly different architecture.

It's a technical and legal battleground and Sony rather remakes the most lucrative titles rather than release it in their original form. I'd wager they are also embarrassed by some of the content as they seem to be censoring things left and right.

• Like 1

I would not mind to replay some of the classic games from PS1 and PS2 for some virtual bling, I replay some of them every few years anyway, hell I'd play nothing but my retro game collection for a year or so, yet I wouldn't even mind paying for the privilege via a subscription service or a small fee for bundles that have the games either. Doing this would be a small effort for Sony and offering all these old gems for purchase would mean a lot of extra income, not only from trophy hunters, definitely a smart decision. And here basically lies the problem, Sony is allergic to making smart decisions as of late, which is exactly why I doubt it will happen unless all the dumbfucks in charge of making decisions in that company happened to perish in the same freak accident or something.

• Like 1

Why Nobody even answered the question?

It's an interesting question about if you'd prefer a trophy list for each game, for a set of games, no trophies, no platinum... I thought about it before and I thought it could be a good discussion since someone asked it here.

But no, the discussion about "how possible it is to be true" is on again ?

For me: 100% for each game. Simple list, simple trophies, no platinum. Just to have a record that people played the game :)

Edited by TurtlePM
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, boorish_brute said:

They might do it if the put all old games on PS Now or something.

https://www.ign.com/articles/playstation-patents-the-ability-to-add-trophies-to-emulated-retro-games

This would be my guess. They'll put these on PSNow to differentiate it from PS+ and possibly draw a new crowd entirely into that subscription and get people to double dip into both subscriptions.

I think it's a brilliant idea tbh, but isn't very consumer friendly as most people would rather own the games then sub into a monthly service. I'd wager people will get burnt out from too many subscriptions and this formula will eventually turn on its own head, but that's another topic entirely.

• Like 1

Honestly, when I think of the failure of the PS Classic, I attribute it a lot to staying too classic. Could you imagine how well that would have sold if it was the only way to get PSOne games on your trophy list? They could have sold memory cards (look-alikes) that contained different ROMs down the line to stay nostalgic.

To more specifically answer your question, it would be great if there was a device that let you use your PSOne discs and supported trophies. That said, we'd be more likely to see Sony sell PSOne classics to us again with trophy support, and I'm fine with that.

Clearly, the PS3/Vita storefront is not going to be moving forward in any capacity, so no need to hold out hope that the PSOne games you already own will ever be usable on future systems.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Honestly, when I think of the failure of the PS Classic, I attribute it a lot to staying too classic. Could you imagine how well that would have sold if it was the only way to get PSOne games on your trophy list? They could have sold memory cards (look-alikes) that contained different ROMs down the line to stay nostalgic.

To more specifically answer your question, it would be great if there was a device that let you use your PSOne discs and supported trophies. That said, we'd be more likely to see Sony sell PSOne classics to us again with trophy support, and I'm fine with that.

Clearly, the PS3/Vita storefront is not going to be moving forward in any capacity, so no need to hold out hope that the PSOne games you already own will ever be usable on future systems.

I mean that's what xbox does. You put your disc into the system, and it downloads a digital copy of the game. You just have to keep it in the system whenever you play it as it acts as an authentication

Reading PS1/PS2 discs is technically not possible, but anyway "if" Sony let us access old games, who exactly is going to do the work of implementing trophies for each game? Even something basic like "Beat the game" requires work to do. It's probably why they tried to port a few PS2 games to PS4 with trophies, but I doubt they sold enough copies to make it worth doing for more games.

Would I like it? Of course I would.

I'd love for this to be a possibility but tbh, I think trophy hunting is niche enough of a hobby to where Sony wouldn't see trophies as worth investing the time and money into. I think they're prioritizing making high tier exclusives to rope people into the Playstation platform more than they are trying to expand the other mechanics of the their consoles. I'd personally love for them to put more emphasis into trophies and community features. I was even a bit disappointed that when the PS app updated, we could no longer see our friends most recent trophies. I thought that was a fun little feature. 

But yeah. I think it comes down to what they think is better to put time and money into. 

Whilst in my head I would love to go back to PS1 games and earn some trophies, I do wonder if doing this would ruin the way I feel about these games as well. Especially games that I hold quite an emotional attachment to like Breath of Fire 3, MGS, Ridge Racer 4 etc. I think it would ultimately taint those experiences by making pursue them in a completely different mindset.

The actual port is not difficult to do, the implementation of trophies is and the price point of these games to break even or even profit and even gain a sustainable following would be the biggest hurdle. Even if it was launched on an anniversary of PlayStation to give it a kickstart , makes business sense , the only question is 1) is it sustainable from a business cost and 2)As eveyone has become woke , does any content need adjusted , what’s wrong with reclassifying the game for the modern audience ?.

Just now, VigilantCrow said:

If it makes financial sense than Sony should do it. I just don't see how it would in the long run. 

Agreed , it is a short-medium term investment, but it’s not like the first time they done something short term , and they have the financial capacity to do it. 

My knee jerk reaction is that if Sony could even put 50% of their back catalogue on PS Now with trophy support, I'd pay twice what they're asking for it now.

Once the dopamine hit fades, I'd probably be realistic about the fact that my backlog from the past five years alone is never getting cleared, never mind replaying pretty much my entire childhood.

• Like 1

Honestly with Sony's attitude regarding older games, I doubt it will ever happen officially other than devs porting or remastering old games.  One of the biggest problems is that devs have to make the trophies and many of the devs for the games that would be the most requested either don't exist or don't care.  Square/Enix is about the only one doing ports and remasters of their old games to PS4/PS5.

The most likely thing is that any sort of trophy or achievement support for older games will remain unofficial and of questionable legality at best since it's done via emulation.  I know a site does exist for it, but I doubt I could link it here.