Should PS1/PS2 games have trophies if Sony can use their cloud service and your disk.

amurnin100

Can a retro gamer play their old favorites from PS1 on PS4 and PS5? Sure. But physical copies of PS1 discs giving trophies? No way in Heaven or Hell, doods! Considering that the PS5 I have doesn't even support physical PS5 games(I opted out of the disc drive to save money since I was one of the sad sacks who didn't get in the bus before it drove off and had to go online to get my console and then it cost me almost 50% more :(), it'd be almost impossible to have a console read an old CD-rom of a PS1 game and tick off trophies from it without referring to the rom port on PS+. I'm just happy I could replay old classics on my PS4/PS5 and they got some trophy support, I'm not concerned about it. Considering I don't even have a PSX anymore, not even a PS3, I am happy that some of my favorite classic RPGs got a revival and some cool trophy tasks instead of whining about not being able to earn trophies by slotting in an aging storage medium.

I mean, yes, I confess that I do emulate older games on my computer, but mainly modded randomizers because I think that's how one can breathe new life into older games. I'd never have touched Link to the Past, Soul Blazer or Final Fantasy Mystic Quest again if I didn't learn about their randomizers on Games Done Quick. They even have Kingdom Hearts randomizers. I'd love to see a game with a randomizer mode get trophy support. (Technically Nexomon Extinction has a rando... but you only get it after you beat the main game and get all of the trophies already, so it doesn't count.)

That would be impossible for every game as you would have to painstakingly add to them to thousands of games one by one and theres way too many games stuck in licensing limbo(case and point any wwf/wwe game that featured chris benoit will never be rereleased after his infamous crime before death) that only maybe 30-60% of all games could potentially get rereleased much less get trophies. Look at the retroachievements emulators, they do a great job at adding achievements to old games but not even half of all games have had them added yet because the thing is being worked on by the community and even with dozens of people they can only work so fast.

Idk, we are talking about a company that couldn't even be bothered to properly tag PS1, PS2, and PSP games, but instead called them PS4/5, seriously, why are there even different versions of these games? I've played nearly every PS1 game and have had a blast doing so, but they will never let you use your old disk. There's no way for them to make money unless they charge an arm and a leg for the device itself.

• Like 3