New update lets you pause mid-run

Abby_TheLastofUs

1 hour ago, NathanielJohn said:

I'm super confused by this statement. How is this technically possible? Literally no game on PS4 or PS5 functions like this. It makes a save file on your hard drive, and it erases that save file when you load it. Why on earth would you not be able to upload it to the cloud in between? Does the PS5 block certain save files from being backed up or something?

Maybe the save point is stored somewhere else, and not in save data. 

1 hour ago, Link-Xia said:

I’ve tested myself and got an opposite conclusion. You CAN S/L when a suspend point is created.

So, if you already got some powerful gears and items, just:

Create a suspend point.

Close the game and upload your save file.

Enter the game and continue your progress.

When you die, download your cloud save data and you can continued your progress at where your suspended before.

I believe it will make the game much easier and not so stressful.

This was my biggest question about this patch. I have zero issues save scumming, but hopefully I'll just learn how to play the game properly. 

2 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Btw, I'm working on a Full Trophy Walkthrough on this for the site, so if anybody is wanting to jump in, if you hold on a few weeks, we'll hopefully have a extensive guide here making Platinum much quicker and much less stressful!!

Looking forward to your guide. I'm waiting for the digital deluxe goes on sale again for that sweet weapons boost to start that you've mentioned in other posts. 

2 hours ago, communistwookiee said:

Can't wait for all of the people who got the platinum before this update to hurl insults at anyone who does it now.

I ll give it my best shot.  

For me, it was a superior game without the option to scumsave, given that i really enjoy Souls/roguelikelike games.  It was an utter joy to play capturing the roguelikelike highrisk/highreward tension and nervousness that a roguelikelike/souls run deep into uncharted territory with hours of play on the line can produce.  Forget trophies, this is intense fun gaming.   Pair that with the amazing AAA graphics, sound and gameplay.  So good and such an unexpected surprise.  Rare Rng collectables not so much.  Definitely one of the top 3 gaming experiences this year for me.

Its also understandable that 2-3 hour runs in  a roguelikelike is definitely asking a lot(even for a friend of the roguelikelike), and how it was incompatible with the marketing/sales/customer demands on a AAA game with 20 minutes of credits.  

Nothing to insult anyone about i think,  this change was always coming for a game this good.   I m thinking Hades is going to get a tryout soon, and i ll be happily scumsaving as needed thoughout.

Edited by maisie666
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NathanielJohn said:

I'm super confused by this statement. How is this technically possible? Literally no game on PS4 or PS5 functions like this. It makes a save file on your hard drive, and it erases that save file when you load it. Why on earth would you not be able to upload it to the cloud in between? Does the PS5 block certain save files from being backed up or something?

I had the same thinking here. Perhaps Sony introduced a way to make "ephemeral" save files in one of the firmware updates? I mean, adding a single flag for this would be probably trivial.

edit. Never mind, seems like this information was false and you can upload to cloud just like any other save file.

Edited by HusKy

13 hours ago, breakXedge said:

Well, can't agree on that.I think they recommended people to use rest mode just to get rid of those questions regardings save&quit feature. I can't see Returnal on your profile but, If you ever play it, you'll see you can complete a biome in less than an hour. And once completed you don't need to do it again, you can skip everything and go to the next level.

Doesn't that leave you radically under powered for the late game content?

1 hour ago, TemplePilot said:

Doesn't that leave you radically under powered for the late game content?

Erm... Maybe, or maybe not. As everything is rng here, you can start a run and get a powerful weapon and a revive object soon. And you don't have to complete biome 1 again, but you can rush every room collecting power ups in a matter of minutes, so you don't start biome 2 or 3 from scratch.

I already have Platinum, achieved before The Patch. At the beginning I missed the save system as in Demons Souls Remake. But now when they've added this feature, we have a little problem inside the community. Achieving Platinum is now much easier thanks to the ability to back up your game save and surely some people will divide the Platinum into pre-patch and post-patch eras.

However, I wanted to refer to something else. Despite all this, I managed to finish the game and I must admit that it is probably better - not be able to save the game during the cycle. It's a different experience. This game was designed that way (roguelike) and now it's hard to say, but I think in my opinion it will lose what it had to offer. Not completely, of course, but still.

Overall, it doesn't bother me (new update). The creators decided so. Many games are balanced over the years. This was also the case here. That's it. Have a nice game. And fewer sleepless nights thanks to the cycle suspension. The game was amazing, the best that the PS5 had to offer and generally one of the best games for me (of course waiting for new games designed for PS5). I will remember RETURNAL forever.

Regards

PS: Does anyone else feel during the game like in an unknown episode from the Ridley Scott's movie Prometheus? This feeling was with me from beginning to end of the game.

Edited by Kessarath
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've used this suspend feature when I'm only missing the rare cipher like in Biome 2 and 6 and rare Log#50 on Biome 5.

I would create a checkpoint when I see the room to teleport to biome 2 or the center room below the boss in Biome 4 that connects to the Biome 5 or 6 teleporter. This seems to always create a new "seed" when loading the next biome.

For Biome 2: I'll just run pass through enemies, use the first warp on the foot of the mountain then teleport back running backwards to check if that cycle spawned the rare room that houses the missing ciphers. If not, download back the checkpoint.

For Biome 5: Teleport to Biome 5, run to the the south east corner to the challenge room and check if the room that houses Log 50 spawned. If not, download back the checkpoint.

For Biome 6: Teleport to Biome 6, and just run past all enemies up to the boss room, checking in-between if it spawned the room I'm looking for.

I wouldn't use the exploit if HouseMarquee didn't make the rooms spawn RNG. At least make it spawn more often or guarantee that room to spawn if that's the only thing you're missing.

I already never die at this point and just annoyed that this game is taking platinum as a hostage with the stupid RNG.

• Like 1

I purchased this game yesterday.  I wanted this day one but never got around to it and got distracted by 'real life' stuff (it seems to get in the way sometimes)

I took the plunge for a a couple of reasons, there was a 25% price drop on PSN, discovered they had patched the pause thing (woried i would lose progress in rest mode) without really reading too much into the details.  I wont be using any 'savescum' tactics, quite welcome the challenge, but it is nice to know that if i have to stop playing for whaever reason i can without too much punishment.

Early impressions on this game are simply just WOW.  Looks beautiful and definately has that loop mechanic that hooks me in with these types of rogulike/lite titles

17 hours ago, chickenbaltipie said:

I purchased this game yesterday.  I wanted this day one but never got around to it and got distracted by 'real life' stuff (it seems to get in the way sometimes)

I took the plunge for a a couple of reasons, there was a 25% price drop on PSN, discovered they had patched the pause thing (woried i would lose progress in rest mode) without really reading too much into the details.  I wont be using any 'savescum' tactics, quite welcome the challenge, but it is nice to know that if i have to stop playing for whaever reason i can without too much punishment.

Early impressions on this game are simply just WOW.  Looks beautiful and definately has that loop mechanic that hooks me in with these types of rogulike/lite titles

Hey, welcome and have fun!

I also just started out playing this game 3 days ago, had the game for some time, just had other things keeping me bussy. It's indeed an amazing game so far, but I have something weird going on tho. Yesterday I beat the 3the boss and by that also the first act, but i'm still in my first run ?. Atm i'm clearing biome 4 while stil not having died in the game except for the intro where they basicly force you to die. Was not expecting this to go this good, I hope I'm not missing out on scoot logs or other stuff because of this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bunkerbudy said:

Hey, welcome and have fun!

I also just started out playing this game 3 days ago, had the game for some time, just had other things keeping me bussy. It's indeed an amazing game so far, but I have something weird going on tho. Yesterday I beat the 3the boss and by that also the first act, but i'm still in my first run 1f602.png. Atm i'm clearing biome 4 while stil not having died in the game except for the intro where they basicly force you to die. Was not expecting this to go this good, I hope I'm not missing out on scoot logs or other stuff because of this.

You are not, don't worry about this. Nothing is missable  I'm pretty sure beside the fact that you can pause your cycle they did some other adjustments in terms of difficulty and enemies. I've expected this game to be much harder as well. I played Nex Machina a couple of weeks ago so I guess it was the best training for returnal. I'm at the last biome now and only had little problems. The only really tough enemies are the exalted ones, which can actually wipe you with 2 or 3 hits depending on your life bar. 

Enjoy the ride it's the best game I played so far on ps5 except Demon Souls.