Is the Battle of the Bands trophy unobtainable?

UnhallowedBlood

I've recently picked this game up again planning to get the online trophies out of the way, but when I try to access Battle of the Bands I keep getting a message saying "Sorry, but you're unable to play Battle of the Bands at the moment. You are currently attempting to connect to Rock Central." Is this just a server issue that comes and goes, or have all the events finally ended? I'm concerned this may have made the platinum unobtainable, and the last time this trophy was earned was back in May.

Edited by UnhallowedBlood

One of my friends is going to do a bit of checking on it. He mentioned the servers for this have been dodgy for a long time, so it's possible we're just having issues with it at the moment. He thinks it's probably just a server issue, and the wording of the error message I mentioned above makes me think the same. If the final event concluded I think it would give a different message along the lines of "Sorry, but there are no events available at this time."

Ah yeah, seems like this was an inevitable problem at some point. According to the guides on TrueAchievements, they added in an event around 2012/2013 to effectively future-proof the trophy for around 8 years, so that anyone starting the game could jump on and not miss out. Well it seems like that 8 years has passed, and the classic event is no longer available.

Not saying you're SOL right now. This is Harmonix we're talking about, so at least it isn't EA or Activision you have to contact to try and get a fix, but it may be that this is a sign of things starting to ramp down for these older rock band games now. Still though, it seems it was complaints that got the event back in the first place, so it's probably you're best shot.

Also slightly off-topic, but it is ironic how a thread got shutdown a few weeks back asking if the platinum was unobtainable due to online trophies. It is, for now, so anyone new starting should keep that in mind.

20 hours ago, wltrsjcwvita said:

Ah yeah, seems like this was an inevitable problem at some point. According to the guides on TrueAchievements, they added in an event around 2012/2013 to effectively future-proof the trophy for around 8 years, so that anyone starting the game could jump on and not miss out. Well it seems like that 8 years has passed, and the classic event is no longer available.

I was aware of that being a possibility, but I wasn't sure if that was the case. I think I read that that "final" event was posted in April of 2012, so it should have ended in April 2020 but didn't seeing as people were still earning it all the way through early 2021. I'm guessing that long period where the servers went down paused the timer for the event which would be a likely reason it ended up going until March if it actually did. Whatever the case, I reported it to Harmonix, got an automated response saying they'd investigate it, got a response saying they closed the ticket, and got a response saying the ticket had been resolved. The issue is still there though, so since I didn't actually talk with someone from Harmonix about it I can't say exactly what happened on their end regarding it.

For anyone else who's locked out of this trophy at the moment, contacting Harmonix support about it would be your best bet. It's hard to say if they'll do anything about it since this is such an old game at this point, but as he mentioned they already brought these servers back once likely due to receiving enough complaints. It's not a guarantee, but if enough people report this issue it's not impossible that they could give us a solution.

Edited by UnhallowedBlood

• 1 month later...

i had a similar problem 2 years ago and i made a post asking about it on r/rockband on reddit. one of the hmx people wrote back and said they didnt find anything wrong but reset the servers after i mentioned it. it worked after that. you can try making a post there to ask whats going on. im not sure if they still monitor the subreddit as much though

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2021 at 11:35 AM, UnhallowedBlood said:

I've recently picked this game up again planning to get the online trophies out of the way, but when I try to access Battle of the Bands I keep getting a message saying "Sorry, but you're unable to play Battle of the Bands at the moment. You are currently attempting to connect to Rock Central." Is this just a server issue that comes and goes, or have all the events finally ended? I'm concerned this may have made the platinum unobtainable, and the last time this trophy was earned was back in May.

I am almost positive it’s simply a server issue. The legacy servers have been down for months now. I have made a post on Twitter, on Reddit and through their official support page, but basically got a vague “we’re working on it” like response. The more people put in tickets, the more likely they will be to fix it.