Jump to content

Star Ocean: The Divine Force (PS5 | PS4) - October 27 2022


Recommended Posts

Just now, MissShake said:

 

Is it now? Hmmm, I have it in the backlog but I haven't given it a shot yet. I just miss the Norse mythology vibes of VP so while I'm sure it's good it's just not the same, ya know?

Totally agree.  To me, it is like tactics games.  There are good ones, and God Wars comes close, but nothing have ever reached the heights of Final Fantasy Tactics is quality.  Back on topic, exist archives story isn't close to VP, but the exploration and battle system really is on point

 

And I hope SO6 is good.  I'm going to buy it anyways as I love the series and never thought we would get another one

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This and that F2P kart racer are the only games I like in the whole event. Looking forward to playing this. Star Ocean Til The End of Time was my very 1st SO game on the PS2 and I absolutely loved it! Also would love to see another Valkyrie Profile game. VP2 Silmeria was my 1st game in the series and again, I absolutely loved it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty excited for this.  I haven't played one since Till the End of Time.  Heard mixed things about Last Hope.  I was planning on getting Faithlessness and Integrity, but it just sort of fell of my radar.

 

Also like a lot people here, Valkyrie Profile Hrist next?  Please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just really hope it's better than SO5. That game was such a disappointment. Divine Force looks great so far though. The gameplay reminds me a lot of PSO2, which is a good thing. Kind of disappointing to see them still refusing to go beyond SO3, but any SO is better than no SO.

I'm really glad the series isn't dead. After the disaster that was SO5 and then the failed SO mobile game, I thought for sure the series was done, and maybe even Tri-Ace as a studio. Knowing Tri-Ace is still around gives me some hope of finally getting a Radiata Stories remaster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/29/2021 at 10:48 PM, Ilzaki said:

Pretty excited for this.  I haven't played one since Till the End of Time.  Heard mixed things about Last Hope.  I was planning on getting Faithlessness and Integrity, but it just sort of fell of my radar.

 

Also like a lot people here, Valkyrie Profile Hrist next?  Please?

You should really give Last Hope a shot, it's a a great game :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really do have to wonder how they manage to keep releasing ever worse rated Star Ocean titles and yet won't do Valkyrie Profile Hrist, a game that their fanbase actually wants.

 

Star Ocean is something that someone like me wants to like. I couldn't fully get into 1 and 2, though 3 I feel was good. 4 had issues. 5 I hear has even further issues. This one doesn't look encouraging and might well get a worse response than 5. They really need to drop this Sci-Fi/Fantasy mix that is usually largely Fantasy and commit more to Sci-Fi. That or if they want to really grab some attention, continue the 4D plotline and set a game in 4D Space which has an interesting concept. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s Star Ocean, so I’ll play it, but I won’t lie: I’m not super excited for it. I too wish they would drop the whole “undeveloped planet” stuff and focus on sci-fi, but I don’t think they have the chops for it. So instead, expect that laser weapons will once again take the form of swords and the like.

 

And for people clamoring for Hrist, sorry, but I firmly believe that any concepts for that game were used instead for Lightning Returns. Accuse me of wearing a tinfoil hat if you like.

Edited by starcrunch061
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

It’s Star Ocean, so I’ll play it, but I won’t lie: I’m not super excited for it. I too wish they would drop the whole “undeveloped planet” stuff and focus on sci-fi, but I don’t think they have the chops for it. So instead, expect that laser weapons will once again take the form of swords and the like.

 

And for people clamoring for Hrist, sorry, but I firmly believe that any concepts for that game were used instead for Lightning Returns. Accuse me of wearing a tinfoil hat if you like.

 

The undeveloped planet thing is like a tumour on the series. Star Ocean 1's endgame plot will stick with me for how ridiculous it is to justify the heroes, largely aliens from an undeveloped planet armed with primitive weapons, having to be the ones to go take down the villain threatening humanity. The villain somehow is simply immune to all modern weaponry so only swords, arrows, and so forth can actually harm him. 

 

I would doubt that. Lightning Returns is very Motomu Toriyama and he wouldn't require taking from others to put it out. Something that is more likely though would be Square Enix being behind there not being a Valkyrie Profile Hrist. SE owns the publishing rights to Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, and most of tri-Ace's other properties. As such if SE doesn't want a Valkyrie Profile game made then it simply can't be made even if tri-Ace itself wanted to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

 

The undeveloped planet thing is like a tumour on the series. Star Ocean 1's endgame plot will stick with me for how ridiculous it is to justify the heroes, largely aliens from an undeveloped planet armed with primitive weapons, having to be the ones to go take down the villain threatening humanity. The villain somehow is simply immune to all modern weaponry so only swords, arrows, and so forth can actually harm him. 

 

I would doubt that. Lightning Returns is very Motomu Toriyama and he wouldn't require taking from others to put it out. Something that is more likely though would be Square Enix being behind there not being a Valkyrie Profile Hrist. SE owns the publishing rights to Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, and most of tri-Ace's other properties. As such if SE doesn't want a Valkyrie Profile game made then it simply can't be made even if tri-Ace itself wanted to. 

well, have to remember that is was originally a super nintendo game too

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

well, have to remember that is was originally a super nintendo game too

 

And they ran out of budget and all that. Regardless, nothing justifies such silliness. Asmodeus could have easily served as the final boss instead of rapidly introducing a villain and then having to come up with complete nonsense to justify the heroes confronting them. I mean damn, the heroes with two exceptions aren't even from the same time period as the villain. 

Edited by Rozalia1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got platinum in Star Ocean 5 a long time ago and despite being short it was a good game, people are just over dramatic about everything that doesn't cater to their every whim and their "high hopes", regarding this one other than the main character looking like a default character in a MMO I'm looking forward to it.... tbh I still trying to understand why Star Ocean 2 never made its way to the western PSstore.

Edited by Sunnyburrito
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

I got platinum in Star Ocean 5 a long time ago and despite being short it was a good game, people are just over dramatic about everything that doesn't cater to their every whim and their "high hopes", regarding this one other than the main character looking like a default character in a MMO I'm looking forward to it.... tbh I still trying to understand why Star Ocean 2 never made its way to the western PSstore.

It is strange they omitted the best game in the series outside of japan for the ps4/vita/ps3 re-release

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...