Skill Issue

Platinum_Vice

Sweeeeeeeeeet, about damned time you had your own checklist going mate!

I shall christen it in the only way I can - by doing this!:

5 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:
Hot takes: 
The Witness rivals Portal 2 as the best puzzle game of all time. 

Ah, the correctest of "hot takes" - let no one eve convince you this take is hot - it's as cold as a coldcumber! ??

7 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Except that the game literally teaches you everything you need to know without any written instructions at all. The only limitations here are your mental horsepower and an ability to think laterally.

I agree, and I choose to assume you mean not just about how to solve the game, but just generally about life... and I still consider this statement to be factually correct ?

I agree on virtually every positive point you make! On this:

11 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:
Some things I didn’t like so much:
- The voice acting on the dictaphones and the post-Challenge cutscenes are somehow even more pretentious than I am.

...Luckily, they are only about 1/3rd as pretentious as I am, so no issue from me ?

12 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:
Trophy talk:
The trophies corral a hunter into completing the lion's share of the game, but incredibly, it refrains from spoiling the “a-ha" moment that I’ve alluded to by only asking the player to complete The Challenge. Abstaining from implementing trophies for the black obelisks or honeycomb puzzles maintains the purity of ‘that’ moment that you either have experienced, or should want to experience. As a result, I give The Witness one of the highest praises that I can as a Trophy Hunter: I wanted to (and did) keep playing long after obtaining the platinum.

That's actually a great point - in the age of trophies, the bar for what games I will keep going with post-platinum has been raised quite a bit, but The Witness did for sure!

• Like 1

You had me sold at the title of this post ?

I have enjoyed your initial layout here so far, so I think I'll tag along for the ride!!

HLD is another one in my insurmountable backlog of stuff, so good luck getting that Eternal Dash trophy!! Only made one solid attempt at it myself and got maybe halfway to the mark but fell short. It's been a long minute since I played it anyway, but the game was sweet and I'm sure I'll get back to it someday. 

Cheers Gonzo, looking forward to following along with your progress here!

Edit: after checking out your review of The Witness, it really gives me fond memories of Myst from waaaaaay back in the day, if anyone is an old man like me and remembers that one!

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

The-Witness-meme.jpg

Great review and the guide looks awesome. It's been 2 years since I've played The Witness and I stopped without getting the Challenge trophy like a damn fool. At this point I feel like I would need to play the game again to get use to the puzzles before attempting that trophy or maybe look at your guide and others to shock my memory into how to solve some of those puzzles. It's definitely up there for puzzle based games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sweeeeeeeeeet, about damned time you had your own checklist going mate!

If everyone else here jumped off a bridge, would I do it too? Yeah maybe, that sounds fun as hell! 

2 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ah, the correctest of "hot takes" - let no one eve convince you this take is hot - it's as cold as a coldcumber! 1f602.png1f609.png

I dunno... spoiler alert:

Spoiler

I'll give Portal 2 a 10/10 when I get around to it too... unless you meant that Portal 2 is indeed worthy of rivalling The Witness, in which case... 

I challenge you to review Portal 2!

f565af543a8f56e1f7858503bc8e76d666eace30

6 minutes ago, Joe Dubz said:

You had me sold at the title of this post ?

I have enjoyed your initial layout here so far, so I think I'll tag along for the ride!!

HLD is another one in my insurmountable backlog of stuff, so good luck getting that Eternal Dash trophy!! Only made one solid attempt at it myself and got maybe halfway to the mark but fell short. It's been a long minute since I played it anyway, but the game was sweet and I'm sure I'll get back to it someday. 

Cheers Gonzo, looking forward to following along with your progress here!

Edit: after checking out your review of The Witness, it really gives me fond memories of Myst from waaaaaay back in the day, if anyone is an old man like me and remembers that one!

Thanks Joe. I'll try to make the ride worth it. Oh yes, HLD. "Hiding Long Dacklog" I believe. ? The Dash Eternal is CRAZY (as you know), so naturally... it must be done!

I have Myst ready to go on a jerry-rigged PS1 Classic (I installed Bleemsync on it) so that I can play games such as Myst and Riven, because they should have shipped with the classic console instead of some of the other... garbage. One day I'll get around to ACTUALLY playing it. It seems right up my alley.

7 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

Great review and the guide looks awesome. It's been 2 years since I've played The Witness and I stopped without getting the Challenge trophy like a damn fool. At this point I feel like I would need to play the game again to get use to the puzzles before attempting that trophy or maybe look at your guide and others to shock my memory into how to solve some of those puzzles. It's definitely up there for puzzle based games.

Thanks Grotz. I'd recommend just starting again. The game so masterfully teaches you how to get through it, plus The Challenge is no slouch and requires genuine knowledge of the mechanics (as you know), plus it's just such a lovely journey through a beautiful game. Give it another crack mate and just get immersed back in there ?

• Like 2

YAAASS!!

Color me excited. I'm so happy to see that you're starting a checklist, and what a way to kick it off. Excellent review, and your pictures are indeed pretty. 

Both you and the good Doctor will surely hear about it when I finally complete The Witness, as I'll no doubt be dying to talk about it with vets of the game. Just got the town laser left, then the really intimidating stuff? So far the Jungle was the hardest for me, the tones and animal noises threw me for a loop. I mean how do you describe pitch??

All the areas you mentioned are gorgeous, but I think The Bunker wowed me the most, up to this point at least. It just drowns you in color, but still allows enough subtlety for, say, different shades to appear when seen through glass.

Anyway. In other Gonzo news, I see Enslaved on there! That's in my PS3 backlog too, I'm excited to see your thoughts on it when you get to it. Also, hell yes to Mark of the Ninja and Bully! Nab those if you see em on sale man, those games are so damn fun.

I feel like Roman right now. MAI CAZZIN IS HEEERE!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YaManSmevz said:

YAAASS!!

Color me excited. I'm so happy to see that you're starting a checklist, and what a way to kick it off. Excellent review, and your pictures are indeed pretty. 

Both you and the good Doctor will surely hear about it when I finally complete The Witness, as I'll no doubt be dying to talk about it with vets of the game. Just got the town laser left, then the really intimidating stuff1f62c.png So far the Jungle was the hardest for me, the tones and animal noises threw me for a loop. I mean how do you describe pitch??

All the areas you mentioned are gorgeous, but I think The Bunker wowed me the most, up to this point at least. It just drowns you in color, but still allows enough subtlety for, say, different shades to appear when seen through glass.

Anyway. In other Gonzo news, I see Enslaved on there! That's in my PS3 backlog too, I'm excited to see your thoughts on it when you get to it. Also, hell yes to Mark of the Ninja and Bully! Nab those if you see em on sale man, those games are so damn fun.

I feel like Roman right now. MAI CAZZIN IS HEEERE!!

Let's go bowling.

Mmm the bunker is good. I think you'll enjoy the town then. A lot of people struggle with the pitch puzzles, don't best yourself up about it. 

Oh, I am indeed awaiting your own review mate!!

I am trying to keep my expectations in check with Enslaved!

• Like 1

I'd like to echo everyone else's sentiments that it's awesome that you've started one of these yourself - I don't know why I took so long in dropping a comment, I dropped a follow on the thread pretty eagerly, within the first five minutes or so it was up ?....

This'll be awesome I think. Great review of The Witness too, not that I needed anymore convincing to play that in future.

16 minutes ago, YaManSmevz said:

I see Enslaved on there! That's in my PS3 backlog too, I'm excited to see your thoughts on it when you get to it. Also, hell yes to Mark of the Ninja and Bully! Nab those if you see em on sale man, those games are so damn fun.

7 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

I am trying to keep my expectations in check with Enslaved!

Bully is a yes from me as well, get that played if you haven't already.

I know I'm just one person - but I'll vouch for Enslaved that it's awesome - Monkey is a really interesting character, that Andy Serkis brings to life in such a unique way that only he can really.

I'm also looking forward to hearing your eventual thoughts on that one - might give me the kick up the arse I need to get around to reviewing it myself ?.....  Oh and find a way to do the DLC because when I looked last I couldn't find it in the store...... Sad times...

Onwards and upwards and all that!

• Like 1

Gonzo-

of course, this being the first day of your brand spanking new checklist (and really, what is a checklist thread, if not a receptacle into which  everyone can recommend so many good games that you literally couldn’t ever get to them all? ?), here’s part 2 of my christening -

this:

3 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

The Witness rivals Portal 2 as the best puzzle game of all time

confirms you are a Portal fan (and therefore, a correct human!)

It also obligates me to inform you that the game I am currently playing - Quantum Conundrum, is both great, and one of the most Portal-like Portal-likes that has ever likened itself to Portal - and given how much I like Portal and Portal-likes, I really, really like this Portal-like!

Well worth a look if a PS3 is still in your possession!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rjkclarke said:

I'd like to echo everyone else's sentiments that it's awesome that you've started one of these yourself - I don't know why I took so long in dropping a comment, I dropped a follow on the thread pretty eagerly, within the first five minutes or so it was up 1f602.png....

This'll be awesome I think. Great review of The Witness too, not that I needed anymore convincing to play that in future.

Bully is a yes from me as well, get that played if you haven't already.

I know I'm just one person - but I'll vouch for Enslaved that it's awesome - Monkey is a really interesting character, that Andy Serkis brings to life in such a unique way that only he can really.

I'm also looking forward to hearing your eventual thoughts on that one - might give me the kick up the arse I need to get around to reviewing it myself 1f606.png.....  Oh and find a way to do the DLC because when I looked last I couldn't find it in the store...... Sad times...

Onwards and upwards and all that!

Thanks bro :)

I like Andy Serkis and didn't know he was in this. 

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Gonzo-

of course, this being the first day of your brand spanking new checklist (and really, what is a checklist thread, if not a receptacle into which  everyone can recommend so many good games that you literally couldn’t ever get to them all? 1f602.png), here’s part 2 of my christening -

this:

confirms you are a Portal fan (and therefore, a correct human!)

It also obligates me to inform you that the game I am currently playing - Quantum Conundrum, is both great, and one of the most Portal-like Portal-likes that has ever likened itself to Portal - and given how much I like Portal and Portal-likes, I really, really like this Portal-like!

Well worth a look if a PS3 is still in your possession!

Hey hey hey hey! Backlogs get smaller, not bigger. You just had to go and mess it all up with you fancy shmancy recommendations of games that do actually look like they'd be a good time, didn't you? Sheesh.

11 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Hey hey hey hey! Backlogs get smaller, not bigger. You just had to go and mess it all up with you fancy shmancy recommendations of games that do actually look like they'd be a good time, didn't you? Sheesh.

Don't be crazy - it's meant to be:

backlog.jpg

?

• Like 1

Nice checklist, will be nice to follow up your progress. Will personally be waiting on The Witcher III and Thronebreaker reviews if you ever decide to get around and review them. Congratulations on that Gwent platinum, I missed out on it before the closure and it remains one of my biggest gaming regrets. 

Also are you still working on Badland ? Are you aiming for the plat ? It's a game I want to do in the future so it would be good to have your thoughts on it ?

Good luck ?

Edited by PlutoRico
  • Like 1

Man, soon I'll be spending more time reading checklists than gaming or working ? But I am in the same boat as @Joe Dubz... Awesome title! :D Glad that you decided to start one :) 

And hey, at least HLD gave The Witness a contest in Game of 2016 ? I hope you'll get that dash trophy soon! 

Speaking of The Witness.. Fantastic way to start your checklist :) Good choice of game and great review overall! I am one of those players that irritated by the pretentiousness of the game, but I enjoyed it very much regardless (and even had my girlfrield play through the game after I was done, cause I enjoyed seeing her struggle with some puzzles :devil: She didn't see it through). 

Looking forward to seeing this checklist evolve! :)  

P.S. If I may give you a tipp... once you have inserted an image into a post, you can Ctrl + Right Mouse click on it and you'll be able to resize it :) That way you can make all images the same size without having to edit them locally (it suffices if you just make them all have the same aspect ratio before uploading them). 

P.P.S. Also, I hope you were not crazy enough to read through my checklist.. I've been getting random likes from you from the very early, to the very recent pages ?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PlutoRico said:

Nice checklist, will be nice to follow up your progress. Will personally be waiting on The Witcher III and Thronebreaker reviews if you ever decide to get around and review them. Congratulations on that Gwent platinum, I missed out on it before the closure and it remains one of my biggest gaming regrets. 

Also are you still working on Badland ? Are you aiming for the plat ? It's a game I want to do in the future so it would be good to have your thoughts on it 1f601.png

Good luck 1f918.png

I'll definitely review the Witcher games, 100%. In fact I'll probably do W3, Thronebreaker and Gwent in one post. I LOVED all three. I am sorry to hear that you missed the cut-off for Gwent. I think CDPR's overwhelming success with W3 and then a subsequent cash-printer patent (ie Gwent's financial success) thoroughly changed their ethos as a company (probably something more common than not), and the console version of Gwent was tactically misplaced in a shredder as one of the results.

Badland is SO GOOD. 10/10 atmosphere. But, the plat is too hard for me and I just don't have that kind of time with my family and work commitments. It was kind of liberating to play a game knowing from the outset that trophy completion was beyond me. I played past the first couple of walls of 'few levels in, ok I think I've seen most of what the game has to offer,' and then 'I'm going to finish the campaign,' before reaching a 'play every level three times to just get these last few hard trophies so I can call it a win within myself by knowing I pushed myself.' This was perfect. I probably put in about 20 hours over ten or so sessions and the last two were a struggle as I pushed out the last few trophies I wanted and was ready to move on to the next game. With 40% completion I'm position 263/71,611 on the leaderboard (top 0.367%) and I'll take it and run. Realistically I doubt I'll revisit it any more for the purpose of obtaining any more trophies, only occasionally in the future to enjoy the gameplay and atmosphere.

If you're going to go for the plat I would suggest reconsideration but that 'quitter's attitude' is one of the reasons that it's out of my own grasp. I will fight anyone to says the game isn't bloody incredible but even I was done with playing each level for about half an hour each. Trophies will require about 1-4+ hours per level each to perfect them. There is a lot of luck involved too in addition to skill. AND, of course, then you need a co-op partner as good as you to do the second half of the game. It is about a 300-500 hour plat. Soooo... it is beyond me mate.

Completionists should instead buy it on mobile (where it was originally released) and play it wearing headphones.

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Man, soon I'll be spending more time reading checklists than gaming or working 1f602.png But I am in the same boat as @Joe Dubz... Awesome title! :D Glad that you decided to start one :) 

And hey, at least HLD gave The Witness a contest in Game of 2016 1f602.png I hope you'll get that dash trophy soon! 

Speaking of The Witness.. Fantastic way to start your checklist :) Good choice of game and great review overall! I am one of those players that irritated by the pretentiousness of the game, but I enjoyed it very much regardless (and even had my girlfrield play through the game after I was done, cause I enjoyed seeing her struggle with some puzzles :devil: She didn't see it through). 

Looking forward to seeing this checklist evolve! :)  

P.S. If I may give you a tipp... once you have inserted an image into a post, you can Ctrl + Right Mouse click on it and you'll be able to resize it :) That way you can make all images the same size without having to edit them locally (it suffices if you just make them all have the same aspect ratio before uploading them). 

P.P.S. Also, I hope you were not crazy enough to read through my checklist.. I've been getting random likes from you from the very early, to the very recent pages 1f602.png

Thanks Arcesius. The Dash Eternal is still evading me (for now).

My misso was in the same boat with The Witness. I think she activated a few lasers and then was happy to move on.

Thanks for the tip - game changer. ?

And... I am definitely crazy enough to have read through most of your checklist (so far). You are not the first and you will not be the last ? 

aubnz.jpg

however I will try to not necro it with more rep points in the future.

• Like 4

Awesome checklist dude! I really enjoyed your write up of The Witness! I'm intrigued as it's a game I picked up for free so I must check it out for myself at some point! 

Love the title of your thread, too. Plenty of us older boys on here and we're all absolutely smashing this shit. ?

Excellent taste in games mate. This will be one to watch in the checklist space. Looking forward to all that is coming!

@Arcesius - I hear you with all these awesome threads popping up. Luckily for me both gaming and work is out for a hot minute, so I I'm all in on all of this excellent reading material. Which reminds me - I have a little Yakuza 0 reading to catch up on ?

• Like 3

I gotta ask how much does the debug menu cut down on the original Jak platinum. Because now I'm curious how much of a time difference there is.

I've got all the release of Jak right back to the PS2 ones and went through them multiple times.

Also @GonzoWARgasm if you liked The Witness, you should probably check out Obduction, it's on the PS4 and it's made by the same people behind Myst itself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Great work man, I feel properly schooled! Was more a Ratchet and Clank person back in those days and never dove into the Jak games, so this was a real treat. I lost track of R+C after the PS2 days so I'm very much looking forward to that write-up!

So was I! I had both but preferred R&C more. Never got a copy of Sly Cooper though. 

2 hours ago, KindaSabbath said:

Awesome checklist dude! I really enjoyed your write up of The Witness! I'm intrigued as it's a game I picked up for free so I must check it out for myself at some point! 

100% do it. Might look a little different compared to your usual plate, but the strange fruits often taste the best. If you like puzzles, you won't go wrong here.

Love the title of your thread, too. Plenty of us older boys on here and we're all absolutely smashing this shit. 1f4aa.png

Oath.

Excellent taste in games mate. This will be one to watch in the checklist space. Looking forward to all that is coming!

Appreciate it, I'll try to live up to the hype ?

2 hours ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I gotta ask how much does the debug menu cut down on the original Jak platinum. Because now I'm curious how much of a time difference there is.

I've got all the release of Jak right back to the PS2 ones and went through them multiple times.

Also @GonzoWARgasm if you liked The Witness, you should probably check out Obduction, it's on the PS4 and it's made by the same people behind Myst itself.

I've just done a bit of research... apparently with The Precursor Legacy's debug you can obtain all power cells but not scout flies or precursor orbs, so... sounds like not much time is actually being saved there considering you still need to pretty much do the whole game anyway. Apparently you can fly around (which is probably faster than travelling on foot), but that's still going to take you multiple hours anyway even if you know the game. Sounds very counterintuitive when anyone familiar with the game could beat it in >6hrs anyway. You might feel the same way with that information?

Obduction...

*goes and watches trailer* 

Wow! Straight to the wishlist! Thanks for the recommendation ?

• Like 2

Brilliant write-up my dude!! You really described the series really well, from start to finish. J&D have always held a special place in my heart... I always loved these games because I think they gave me the feels towards games like Mario 64, or even more so Banjo Kazooie, which I was obsessed with as a kid/young teen! 

The original was def my fave, then 2 came out and it was... Meh IMO. I just wasn't digging the much darker, GTA-themed thingy they had going on. Although agreed with you that the skateboard aspect was pretty well done and at least made traversing that retched city a lil less sucky! I know I played 3, but I don't remember it much so I guess that tells me I wasn't necessarily infatuated with it like the 1st. 

Something else I love, which you also touched on a bit, are the graphics. Sure, compared to some newer stuff, esp PS5 games it might not be great to some. But looking at your screenshots and such of J&D reminded me of the beautiful, vibrant world they had going on there! I feel like they seem to have stood the test of time! 

Funny enough Gonzo, I've never played the Sly series either, despite always hearing decent things about it! Very much looking forward to your take on the R&C series too, that's another one I've loved since inception and still do to this day! Cheers mate ?

• Like 1

First of all, excellent work! I'm pretty sure I still have R&C and Up Your Arsenal sitting around somewhere, you got me wanting to dust em off?

(of course that would also require a dust off of my PS2 as well as hoping that he's still alive, but I digress)

You've also got me sad about the 2016 R&C, I was kinda happy to cop that in spite of a few naysays and was saving it for a rainy day, now I'm officially bummed about it.

Also woohoo, Uncharted!!

• Like 1

First of all, I want to say: I love the "Series Review" angle!

Seriously, this is a really interesting approach to the checklists, and I think sets yours apart completely from most of the ones I follow and gives your write-ups a completely different flavour to most others.

I also really like the heavy dispersement of images in them - more than any other thread, your series reviews feel like a write up in a magazine, where I find myself reading faster to get to a section because the splash image has already caught my eye!

On the Ratchet Series - I agree with a lot of your points, though I think for me the enjoyment graph would be a little more up and down, rather than the slow decline you experienced. I'm still trying to finish up my reviews of the two I played recently - Crack in Time and Nexus - and while Nexus was fine, though a bit short and a little throw-a-way, I actually think Crack in Time is the first one with a genuine shot of competing seriously with Going Commando for the top spot for me. Setting aside the "Chosen One" angle (which, yes, you are right, does retrofit a letterboxed interesting concept onto the franchise,) I think the actual level design, variety and weapon set in A Crack in Time is up there with the best of the games, and the one area it manages to outdo all others, is the Clank sections. 

I generally have never cared for any of the Clank sections in any of the games, but those time-rewind / duplication clone puzzles are the highlight of the game for me - especially the "optional" ones later in the game, required to get the gold bolts.  Frankly, I would pay full price for a game that was entirely based on those kind of puzzles!

• Like 3