Skill Issue

Platinum_Vice

Just finished reading your TLOU write ups, what a great read! ? I love the images you made too, that effort didn't go unnoticed!

22 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

TLOU2 provides extremely accurate depictions of violence. Enemies cripple when you shoot off their limbs. They beg for their lives. They choke on their own blood. They let out blood-curdling screams of pain, fear, desperation, and in agonising emotional pain upon seeing their friends and loved ones dying before your unstoppable onslaught. It is VERY confronting.

For a split second when I was reading this, I thought you said it was very comforting. I was about to be quite concerned for a second there! ? Good thing my eyes deceived me!

22 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Talk birdie to me: let me know your own thoughts about The Last of Us! 

Jokes aside, I reckon TLOU2 managed to be one of the most well-known PS4 games in existence. Now now, before anyone starts raising their pitchforks, I'm not going to say personally whether it was a good work of art or not, but in essence, I like to describe art as something that evokes a strong emotion out of a person. Now there can be mediocre games in existence where the player doesn't feel one way or the other, which is probably the worst thing a piece of media-- or heck, any art can do; making the viewer/reader/player not feel anything towards a piece. But with TLOU2, people have nothing but strong emotions about it. Even on Metacritic, it's quickly clear that people either love or hate it. People can strongly say why the game excels, or how it is greatly inferior to the original since it bastardizes Joel's writing (after all, he isn't the kind of person who would blindly give his name out to strangers, which is what got him killed; a very oddly written lapse of his established judgement) but nonetheless, when TLOU2 is introduced to any conversation, it's instantly going to spark strong feelings from people aware of the game. That's something I don't see often.

Now sure, there's been games out there like Sonic 06 which are well-known and hated as well, but what separates a game like Sonic 06 from TLOU2 is that TLOU2 isn't a buggy, rushed mess; the story is really the main source of contention it has, which makes it an interesting case. With Sonic 06, the devs were rushed to release a product for the holiday season, but every choice in TLOU2 was fully intentional, the devs were given the time to make their game, and they chose what they wanted in the end. While there were changes through the development cycle for sure, their end product was something they decided on which makes it really stand out. And as you said, the fans have been so divided by this game.

For so many people to debate a game's story not for being rushed, but for what it set out to do, is something games rarely do. I suppose there's game stories like Detroit: Become Human that have divided opinions, but a game like that is still positively received nonetheless; TLOU2 has the most division out of a finished game that I, personally, have ever witnessed.
I can't say whether I like the game or not since I haven't played it myself ? But I just think it's a remarkable thing that TLOU2 managed to make people feel strongly about it in such wildly different opinions, almost like politics. You make a great point that fans shouldn't have attacked people who worked on the game for it, almost like they are indeed imitating the game itself.

I don't think any other game in the future for quite a long time will make people feel the same way they do about TLOU2. It'll be interesting to see if or when it happens... and only now am I realizing that I only really talked about my thoughts on the game's reception the entire time... That counts, right? ?

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 2

Shroobs, for someone who hasn't played TLOU2, your fingers are remarkably on the pulse.

20 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Now now, before anyone starts raising their pitchforks, I'm not going to say personally whether it was a good work of art or not, but in essence, I like to describe art as something that evokes a strong emotion out of a person. Now there can be mediocre games in existence where the player doesn't feel one way or the other, which is probably the worst thing a piece of media-- or heck, any art can do; making the viewer/reader/player not feel anything towards a piece.

Mmhmm, definitely heard this take before. A very valid point of view. I'm glad that I felt SOMETHING at the very least. I can't see myself writing so much about any other series in my backlog except for (maybe) three of them.

This is definitely the most artistic game from a AAA dev that I've played this generation. And by 'artistic' I'm not sure what I mean. It's like many other subjective things where you have difficulty describing it but once you see it, you KNOW it falls in the category.

24 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

after all, he isn't the kind of person who would blindly give his name out to strangers, which is what got him killed; a very oddly written lapse of his established judgement

Yeah I remember that coming up pretty often when I was going through reviews when I finished it. I use my name all the time and would offer an explanation that Ellie's influence has made Joel more complacent, so it's hard to fully agree, but so many others agree with you that it is just blatantly out of character.... wait, was it Joel or Tommy gave up their names to the WLF? Oh it was both, nevermind. Anyway, at the very least, it's a very contrived way to set up the premise of the game. 

I mean, if people knew my name and that I'd killed a thousand humans, I'd probably have an alias! The less people that remain, the greater the chances are that you've killed someone's loved one.

30 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

Now sure, there's been games out there like Sonic 06 which are well-known and hated as well, but what separates a game like Sonic 06 from TLOU2 is that TLOU2 isn't a buggy, rushed mess; the story is really the main source of contention it has, which makes it an interesting case. With Sonic 06, the devs were rushed to release a product for the holiday season, but every choice in TLOU2 was fully intentional, the devs were given the time to make their game, and they chose what they wanted in the end. While there were changes through the development cycle for sure, their end product was something they decided on which makes it really stand out.

Oh hell yeah, 100%. This game is finished, it's polished, it's a 10/10 almost across the board.

And! To think I'm complaining about a story that is (regardless of content) character-based, is crazy!!

19 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

For a split second when I was reading this, I thought you said it was very comforting. I was about to be quite concerned for a second there! ?

?

32 minutes ago, Shrooba said:

and only now am I realizing that I only really talked about my thoughts on the game's reception the entire time... That counts, right? ?

It counts, my guy, thanks for reading this big beast of a thing! ?

• Like 2

That was a hell of thing, your Last of Us series write up my man - something very special!

I gotta admit, while I love that first game, I think the second game is light-years ahead of it - where the first one is very much a straight narrative, where the player is given as much lee-way as Naughty Dog can possibly give to let them present Joel is a "good guy" (despite being told over and over that he isn't!)... and I know that the principal argument people have against the second game is that the the narrative toys with that - where the character seem to be "taking control" away from the player, and you are forced to control them doing abhorrent things that you don't necessarily want to do - but I would argue that path was actually set in the first game.

In the original game, it's easy to pretend Joel is pure goodness and light, but in the final hour for that game, he "takes control" - you are forced to control him making a terrible decision, dooming humanity because of his own character flaws - his inability to lose a second daughter.

To me, the was always the "This one time, I'll let you ask me about my business, Kay" from the end of The Godfather. That's the moment where Joel's true colours and inability to do the right thing comes to the forefront - providing the backdrop for the sequel (Godfather Part II, or TLOU Part II) where every character is more complex, and the singular narrative of the original movie / game is viewed one step removed, and all characters are forced to reckon with the events set in motion by those action. Like The Godfather Part II, The Last of Us Part II is a murkier piece of art - it is vastly more complex, and throughout, our own opinion of the individual characters ebbs and flows with the narrative.

Ellie starts as the golden girl, who we love, and we want to see her get her vengeance, however, as she pursues it, and as that lust for vengeance continues to consume and destroy her, we slowly come to first wish she would stop, then desperately hope she will stop, then (when the world finally provides her the peace she could have,) hate her for abandoning it in order to continue her lust for vengeance. She ends up having to, because it's all she has left that is driving her.

Abby, on the other hand, we start out hating - after all, she killed our boy! - however, her character is not seeking vengeance, or forgiveness, she is simply trying to get by, and to survive - exactly the reasons we were able to love Joel in the first game, despite knowing he had done some gnarly shit in the intervening 20 years that we didn't see, but heard about. By the end, all we really want is for the cycle of violence to end, and because that is also what Abby wants, she slowly morphs from villain to hero, in a way very few games (or even movies) have ever managed.

In the end, the second game, to me, is really a treatise on the statement of Dr King:

“The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.

That's a statement I think is absolutely true, of course, but it isn't an easy thing to address in videogames - in fact, most videogames are antithetical to it. That TLOU Part II is able to actually force the player to confront that concept, and does it so well, negates all little nit-picks people have with the narrative or character consistency between the original and the second one. :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

I've seen that face in FFXIV highlight streams but never got a name for it. What a weird man. Anyways, great trophy list. :)

Also, if you are working on the Spyro series, I platinumed the Reignited trilogy and loved it. It's a nice flashback to the old games. :)

You platinumed the Witness? I tried to, got all the puzzle except the challenge. That was the worst experience in my life because the puzzles shut down once the songs end and you only have six minutes to do it and the puzzles are random every time. It's just me, I am not good at puzzle solving as you are(which is why I used a guide the majority of the game). Congratulations on that! :D

• Like 1

@DrBloodmoney you've got some valid points (as usual!) and I'm chuffed that you're willing to challenge my opinions! ?

I definitely agree that complaining about the character having the control over the narrative would be silly... these are linear games, I'm happy to hop in this car, sometimes driving, sometimes navigating, sometimes just going along for the ride, while relinquishing control occasionally to the characters for their input.

Meanwhile, I will happily commit the most violent acts in these (and other) games without issue.

My central issue with TLOU2 is that I didn't like the direction that the car was going for such a large majority of the journey (including running over too many of the wrong people). I wanted to be riding with the Ellie, Joel and Tommy as I enjoy their company. Abby can come along, too, no dramas from me on that.

I just wasn't in sync with the characters on this one, and if the story is going to do that on purpose, I would have liked an even bigger impact that what MLK Jr has offered. Even then, as accurate as MLK Jr is on that one for the real world, the violence is fun in these games, so we kind of need that descending spiral of violence to provide the impetus for more of the action. We don't want to just shoot infected, right?

Do you think you would have liked TLOU2 *even more* if you were in sync with Ellie and Abby for more of their journeys/went on journeys of discovery together? No dramas if you don't think so... keen to know more of your opinion either way.

I like that you prefer TLOU2 over TLOU1, though, I think I'm slowly zero-ing in on your tastes. Discussions like this just make my brain run about like a kid in a candy store!

28 minutes ago, winter_bird_22 said:

I've seen that face in FFXIV highlight streams but never got a name for it. What a weird man. Anyways, great trophy list. :)

Oh really? It's the late El Risitas during a now-famous interview. His laugh was so infectious!

I have to admit to a lack of hands-on Final Fantasy experience. And even then, my FF knowledge is limited to a very minimal awareness of the most basic characters, setting and themes of FFVII (therefore that's probably where I should start with FF one day), and some characters in FFIX, some memes from FFX and some BASIC awareness of FFXIII (that's the one with Lightning?) and FFXV. I couldn't even tell you a thing about FFXIV. So... sorry, but that's not me in those highlight streams :)

I'm really glad you enjoyed stopping by! ? consider stopping in again some time :)

• Like 2

Sadly, I am among the uninitiated, so once I saw "spoilers" I just nodded and glumly sat down.

I will get to these games though, so I can read this because you clearly put in a metric fuckton of work, it's a gargantuan review that you should be quite proud of!

More shuffling of the backlog for me, it seems...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

just wasn't in sync with the characters on this one, and if the story is going to do that on purpose, I would have liked an even bigger impact that what MLK Jr has offered. Even then, as accurate as MLK Jr is on that one for the real world, the violence is fun in these games, so we kind of need that descending spiral of violence to provide the impetus for more of the action. We don't want to just shoot infected, right?

Do you think you would have liked TLOU2 *even more* if you were in sync with Ellie and Abby for more of their journeys/went on journeys of discovery together? No dramas if you don't think so... keen to know more of your opinion either way.

You know - I did think about this, as I’ve definitely had a similar complaint with other games - basically every GOW game prior to the reboot was a problem in that regard for me - where I hated the main character, and the choices he made (and interestingly, is also all about vengeance!) but I think honestly in the case of TLOU2, no I wouldn’t.

The difference, as I see it, is that the characters in TLOU2 are flawed - they aren’t just bad people, and because the actual narrative is so compelling to me, and because they are actually using those bad decisions the characters make to tell such a sad, complex tale, I just ended up loving it - in much the same wat as I loved The Godfather Part II more than The Godfather.

I think the difference between something like a GOW, and TLOU2, is that all the while the characters are doing terrible things, and making terrible choices, there is still pathos there. I don’t just hate Abby at the beginning, or Ellie at the end - I’m also sorry for them. I pity them and wish better for them - so controlling them as they do terrible things is lent an air of longing and sadness to it, as opposed to Kratos in his games, where I simply recoil, and have a sense of removal from the whole proceedings.
In the end, as much as both principal characters in TLOU2 veer towards me hating them, I want them to do better. I want them to end the cycle of violence, for them. So they can find peace - not just so I, as a player can feel better…

to me, that’s the difference between a great piece of art, and just a misguided central premise - if I can hate the character while still loving them, then I figure it did what it needed to do - and if the artists job is to capture your attention for as long as they ask it for, and to take you on an emotional journey - I sure got that with TLOU2! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

In the end, as much as both principal characters in TLOU2 veer towards me hating them, I want them to do better. I want them to end the cycle of violence, for them. So they can find peace - not just so I, as a player can feel better…

to me, that’s the difference between a great piece of art, and just a misguided central premise - if I can hate the character while still loving them, then I figure it did what it needed to do - and if the artists job is to capture your attention for as long as they ask it for, and to take you on an emotional journey - I sure got that with TLOU2! 1f602.png

Nice one Doc ?

7 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

More shuffling of the backlog for me, it seems...

I hope you get to these games soon for your own sake. Definitely worth experiencing. Would love to hear your fresh opinions afterwards before you read or watch anything about them online to gauge your thoughts ?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

Series: Crash Bandicoot 

Oh man what an awesome read that was! Totally worth the wait!

Really fantastic job Gonzo!

You know - one thing I found really interesting (of many) when reading your thoughts was the bits about how you perceived the art-style for the N-Sane Trilogy. I kind of agree with you too, even if it is a little bit of a retroactive agreement. See, when I played the N-Sane Trilogy I think I was a little blinded by the fact I was so happy to just be playing Crash Bandicoot again.

Then, after playing the MediEvil remake recently, which I still loved - I couldn't help thinking a little similarly to how you do here. That keeping some of the designs the same yet probably giving it a bit of over-finesse does make it lose at least a tiny bit of its charm.

Sometimes those angular and spiky aesthetics really did work better on the PS1. Especially in the image you used. Where in the original Tiny looks a little angular, sure. But the N-Sane version he looks like the sole of a shoe with a face drawn on it! Why....... :dunno: your guess is as good as mine!

51 minutes ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

The hunt for the coloured gems and the hidden hub world were the subject of many schoolyard whispers in an age where the early internet was still a place for information about important adult things. Figuring out how to get that red gem on Snow Go or the blue gem in Turtle Woods or that hidden green gem were feats shrouded in mystery. 

Weren't they just...... I remember being so sceptical when someone told me how to get that blue gem..... You had to go through the entire level without getting a single box..... I was like "Yeah right, why would you have to get no boxes?" Guess I was eating my words the next day, and rightly, probably the pavement too xD

Interesting to see you praise Warped very highly. That was my favourite one when I was the child version of RJ, nowadays I think I prefer Crash 2, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I think possibly it's down to Crash 2 having less of the gimmick levels. I love what they were trying to do with those in Warped, but as you mentioned, the bike ones, and the plane ones don't work all that well.

You have admittedly got me even more excited for Crash 4 though  - even if you did mention the fact you thought the game was a tad too long as far as the platinum goes. Another buddy of mine said the exact same thing.

Oh yeah big props to that completion time for Warped as well!

Awesome job with this man!

• Like 2

Gotta love when I check the mailbox and see that the new issue of Gonzo has arrived. And I can actually read this one!!

Thoroughly loved this guy. By that I mean the write-up, but Crash could apply as well. You know I always wanted to, but never got into these games? I was like a teenage girl watching him with awe from behind a tree or something, thinking "he's so bad, I couldn't possibly, no!"

That's why any time someone asks me if I've played any Crash game I immediately interrupt with "What? No way. Gross."

I guess I've heard enough about CTR, time to stick that one in the backlog! Outstanding work, my dude. As usual, I feel properly schooled!

• Like 2

Awesome man - these series posts are my absolute favourite!

I literally just read a whole Gonzo magazine spread on a series I actively do not like... and it was so much fun I read it twice! ?

I guess I can't add too much to this one, on account of nope-ing outta that series early on, but I do have to mention....

4 hours ago, GonzoWARgasm said:

TLOU-Magazine-Crash.png

?? Bravo sir... that made me do a snort laugh ?

• Like 1

On 25/02/2022 at 1:07 AM, Deluziion90 said:

That's a really nice wall of text to read :D. I loved it!

Thank you ?

On 25/02/2022 at 1:08 AM, rjkclarke said:

See, when I played the N-Sane Trilogy I think I was a little blinded by the fact I was so happy to just be playing Crash Bandicoot again.

Then, after playing the MediEvil remake recently, which I still loved - I couldn't help thinking a little similarly to how you do here. That keeping some of the designs the same yet probably giving it a bit of over-finesse does make it lose at least a tiny bit of its charm.

Sometimes those angular and spiky aesthetics really did work better on the PS1. Especially in the image you used. Where in the original Tiny looks a little angular, sure. But the N-Sane version he looks like the sole of a shoe with a face drawn on it! Why....... :dunno: your guess is as good as mine!

^this ?

I think I prefer Crash 2, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I think possibly it's down to Crash 2 having less of the gimmick levels. I love what they were trying to do with those in Warped, but as you mentioned, the bike ones, and the plane ones don't work all that well.

You have admittedly got me even more excited for Crash 4 though  - even if you did mention the fact you thought the game was a tad too long as far as the platinum goes. Another buddy of mine said the exact same thing

Oh interesting! Crash 2 is still such a classic, isn't it?

Get excited for Crash 4 mate, the gameplay is supurb.

I remember being so sceptical when someone told me how to get that blue gem..... You had to go through the entire level without getting a single box..... I was like "Yeah right, why would you have to get no boxes?"

I will try not to spoil anything else for Crash 4 then! 

On 25/02/2022 at 1:28 AM, YaManSmevz said:

You know I always wanted to, but never got into these games? I was like a teenage girl watching him with awe from behind a tree or something, thinking "he's so bad, I couldn't possibly, no!"

You do love a bad boy, Smevz!

On 25/02/2022 at 1:28 AM, YaManSmevz said:

That's why any time someone asks me if I've played any Crash game I immediately interrupt with "What? No way. Gross."

I guess I've heard enough about CTR, time to stick that one in the backlog! Outstanding work, my dude. As usual, I feel properly schooled!

I look forward to hearing about it!

On 25/02/2022 at 4:40 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Awesome man - these series posts are my absolute favourite!

I literally just read a whole Gonzo magazine spread on a series I actively do not like... and it was so much fun I read it twice! 

When did you give it a go? PS1? Remind me what about the series you actively don't like? Backtracking? The senselessness of the story? A total shame!

I'm glad you enjoyed the read anyway. ?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GCGnz0 said:

When did you give it a go? PS1? Remind me what about the series you actively don't like? Backtracking? The senselessness of the story? A total shame!

I'm glad you enjoyed the read anyway. 1f604.png

I know.... I know....

yeah, I spent a fair bit of time with the first one, and I think I a little bit of time with the second one, though that will have been only at a friends place I think, as I don't recall ever actually owning that one... and I could just never get on with the controls or the level design. I'll admit, the running towards the camera was a big part of that (who's idea was that, seriously? Is seeing what's coming really such a luxury? ?), but I do think it's just not for me overall. After all, i've overcome worse mechanics just to see a narrative through in other games...

Crash though?

I don't know. It just never got its hooks in me like it did for others. :dunno:

• Like 2

Excellent look at the Crash series Gonzo! I loved every bit of it, especially the images ? I definitely agree that 3's motorbike and plane levels strayed a bit too far from the Crash formula. It's kinda funny when I think about it though, they made the most janky bike controls but then went on to casually make one of the best kart racers of all time! ?

I also liked how you pointed out the passion of 4's artstyle; that for me was a great strength of the game. Art supplies the character of a game, the two go hand in hand, and seeing that bold take was just as fitting as Toys for Bob placing that ol' 4 in the title.

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Post-Lockdown-Spyro.jpg

Legitimately terrifying.

Good stuff, mah dewt! I think I was a little too old when Spyro came out, I remember my sister falling in love with it and I was like "gaaaaayyyy." Was never for me, but I'm quite happy to see so many peeps getting a nice dose of nostalgia with it. Also i only recently found out that Stewart Copeland did the soundtracks, whaaat?

Along with The Cars, The Police are a huge childhood staple for me, and I'll always have a big rubbery one for them. Those are great songs, off the top of my head I'd go with Canary in a Coal Mine and Can't Stand Losing You. Deygottalottagoodshitdoe.

I'm really diggin how your checklist is growing, man! Lookin forward to the platinum timeline?

• Like 3

Great look on the Spyro trilogy! Man, I really hope Toys for Bob get a shot at Spyro 4. One of my issues as the trilogy went on is that it relied more on gimmicky characters and an abundance of side quests; for this reason I always adored Spyro 1 for it's simplicity... But then again, maybe it's unfair of me to criticize it for this, since a series can't stay simple forever; otherwise it'd be argued it'd lack creativity. I suppose as each Spyro came out, Insomniac needed to take risks to innovate, and I suppose that makes Spyro 1 in and of itself quite a historical game for Playstation. Spyro 2 was also pretty good for making Ripto a good rival. Heck, even Ripto's name was based on the Japanese version of Spyro's logo! ?

19 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

At your request, Sparx now points to the nearest gem to help collect that last hidden cluster that you’ve overlooked

I've always loved this. Similar to Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie is a collectathon that I played for hours on end as a kid, maxing it's completion several times... The gem equivalent in Banjo-Kazooie were these yellow notes, and I think there were about 100 or 200 in every level... (can't remember the exact number, my memory is a bit fuzzy with this ?) But if you missed a single one, you'd have no idea where it'd be! ? That led to quite a lot of frustration to young me, so I'm glad Sparx in the Reignited Trilogy helps out! A seemingly minor change, but it's one of the best things about the Reignited Trilogy for me. Like you said, I also don't really think I'll 100% Spyro 1/2/3 again any time soon, but if I do then it's good that I won't need a guide whipped out for those gems.

Again, awesome read man!

Edited by Shrooba
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Legitimately terrifying.

?

17 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Along with The Cars, The Police are a huge childhood staple for me, and I'll always have a big rubbery one for them. Those are great songs, off the top of my head I'd go with Canary in a Coal Mine and Can't Stand Losing You. Deygottalottagoodshitdoe.

Hot damn. Deydogottalottagoodshitdood. Lottagoodshit. Did you know that Sting still pulls in $2,000US PER DAY for royalties on just Every Breath You Take, let alone everything else going on in his life. Copeland's income doesn't hold a candle to that.

5 hours ago, Shrooba said:

I really hope Toys for Bob get a shot at Spyro 4.

I'm hoping that's what they're doing right now. I don't know what else T4B would be doing instead, but I do wonder why it is yet to be announced yet...? Any ideas? The flipside is that Activision frequently pull smaller studios into the orbit of flagship game titles for ancillary work. In April/May 2021 it was announced that T4B were assisting with Call of Duty's Warzone mode...

One of my issues as the trilogy went on is that it relied more on gimmicky characters and an abundance of side quests; for this reason I always adored Spyro 1 for it's simplicity... But then again, maybe it's unfair of me to criticize it for this, since a series can't stay simple forever; otherwise it'd be argued it'd lack creativity. I suppose as each Spyro came out, Insomniac needed to take risks to innovate

I like this about the sequels but can't begrudge you of thay opinion. Two sides of the same "Spyro Fan Club" coin.

Heck, even Ripto's name was based on the Japanese version of Spyro's logo! 1f602.png

I forgot about this! Such a great little tidbit!!

I've always loved this. Similar to Spyro, Banjo-Kazooie is a collectathon that I played for hours on end as a kid, maxing it's completion several times... The gem equivalent in Banjo-Kazooie were these yellow notes, and I think there were about 100 or 200 in every level... (can't remember the exact number, my memory is a bit fuzzy with this 1f605.png) But if you missed a single one, you'd have no idea where it'd be! 1f62c.png That led to quite a lot of frustration to young me, so I'm glad Sparx in the Reignited Trilogy helps out! A seemingly minor change, but it's one of the best things about the Reignited Trilogy for me. Like you said, I also don't really think I'll 100% Spyro 1/2/3 again any time soon, but if I do then it's good that I won't need a guide whipped out for those gems.

Again, awesome read man!

???

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 1:41 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

Spyro: Reignited Trilogy 

I just re-read this for maybe the third time at least

You did a fantastic job with this one mate - I didn't expect to, but I absolutely agree with pretty much everything you said about the Reignited Trilogy. I am glad that it exists don't get me wrong - but now that I've gotten all three platinums I don't think I'd ever choose to play the reignited versions over the PS1 Trilogy.

That isn't a case of nostalgia goggles getting in the way. You just happened to hit the nail on the head. Reignited whilst  very good, has pretty much none of the soul, and none of the individuality, or character that the original games did, at least not as much. I hate to say that too. 

Who is really that likely to buy the Reignited Trilogy, and not play Stewart Copelands version of the music - the newer versions are fine, obviously. But given the choice, most people would go the Copeland route.

Those redesigns are worse than the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane ones in some cases. Especially Sheila, like what the hell - WHY DID SHE NEED TO HAVE BOOBS AND A CLEAVAGE.

I don't know man, I hope that a new generation of fans could have been created from the Reignited trilogy, because there is a hell of a lot of stuff to like, even love  about it, yet if you already played them,and liked them, you're probably going to get a little less out of it. I think a lot of fans of the original trilogy feel that way too.

I'm pretty interested to see how they'd make a Spyro 4 and whether it would do what Crash 4 seemingly did, by ignoring the sequels (I haven't played it yet obviously,) and pretend that Enter the Dragonfly through Heroes Tail didn't exist.

What do you want us to call you by the way, since the name change. TAFKA Gonzo seems funny - but also really stupid, so you let me know, and that shall be what I use from here on out!

• Like 2

I am someone who never did play the original Spyro games but picked up the Reignited trilogy to experience them finally. I stopped playing halfway through the first title for a few reasons. The first was the game itself seems to be lacking something.. maybe it was the spark the original had i dont know. It was tiresome looking for all the damn gems in every level as that was all there was to do. Also the flying levels legit made me ill. I had to turn to the game off and go lay down it was so bad.

I will fight through these games (at least the first one) and get them complete one day but I am not looking forward to going back to them at all.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

Those redesigns are worse than the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane ones in some cases. Especially Sheila, like what the hell - WHY DID SHE NEED TO HAVE BOOBS AND A CLEAVAGE.

Because gamers like BEEWWWWBBBZZZ!!!

psx-longplay-001-metal-gear-solid-mkv-sn

57 minutes ago, rjkclarke said:

What do you want us to call you by the way, since the name change. TAFKA Gonzo seems funny - but also really stupid, so you let me know, and that shall be what I use from here on out!

I don't think I'll be able to relinquish Gonzo, Gonz, The Great Gonz-olo, etc... unless these are not preferred. A fine question, I too am curious to see if you have a preference!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I just re-read this for maybe the third time at least

? Low-key incredible compliment. Thank you.

Reignited whilst  very good, has pretty much none of the soul, and none of the individuality, or character that the original games did, at least not as much. I hate to say that too. 

Yeah it's bit meh, but I need to find someone who has given it to their kids and see what the verdict is "on the streets."

Let's go do some vox populi interviews and see what "the common man" says.

Ultimately this is really the same criticism that I had for Ratchet and Clank 2016.

I'm pretty interested to see how they'd make a Spyro 4 and whether it would do what Crash 4 seemingly did, by ignoring the sequels (I haven't played it yet obviously,) and pretend that Enter the Dragonfly through Heroes Tail didn't exist

You know, I'd still buy a Spyro 4 from Toys for Bob... there's just no hint of what they're working on at the moment. Fingers crossed.

4 hours ago, gruffiiti said:

I stopped playing halfway through the first title for a few reasons. The first was the game itself seems to be lacking something.. maybe it was the spark the original had i dont know. It was tiresome looking for all the damn gems in every level as that was all there was to do.

I suppose my whole review could be boiled down to these three sentences. Brevity was never my strong point. Your experience is pretty much the core of the matter!

4 hours ago, gruffiiti said:

Also the flying levels legit made me ill. I had to turn to the game off and go lay down it was so bad.

I forgot that this was a thing for so many. Such an epic fail. This is like the video game equivalent to serving raw chicken in a restaurant.

images-8.jpg

5 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

WHY DID SHE NEED TO HAVE BOOBS AND A CLEAVAGE.

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

Because gamers like BEEWWWWBBBZZZ!!!

Look, Sheila's redesign was pretty bad, but I have to come to the defence of boobs. 

Boobs are *pretty good* - 10/10.

5 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

4 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

I don't think I'll be able to relinquish Gonzo, Gonz, The Great Gonz-olo, etc... unless these are not preferred. A fine question, I too am curious to see if you have a preference!

I honestly don't mind. It's just an online username. I'm a little different to current social trends in issue by saying: "I don't care what you refer to me by, I care that you know I exist." 

It's very difficult to avoid saying "just call me [my real name]," especially when I deduced Rjkclarke's first name when I began reading your checklist. It's like when Tom Holland's Spider-Man met The Avengers and said, "Hi, I'm Peter," and then, "oh, we're using our made-up names. In that case, I'm Spider-Man!"

Gonzo genuinely doesn't have any connection to anything for me with the exception that it's what this Checklist group calls me. I don't know, call me Gonzo, call me Vice, call me Arsehole, whatever, just call me. :)

• Like 2