Skill Issue

Platinum_Vice

On 15/03/2022 at 1:01 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

1f525.png Low-key incredible compliment. Thank you.

You're welcome Mr-NOTGONZOANYMORE....... We'll figure something out with the name haha!

Yeah it's bit meh, but I need to find someone who has given it to their kids and see what the verdict is "on the streets."

Let's go do some vox populi interviews and see what "the common man" says.

Ultimately this is really the same criticism that I had for Ratchet and Clank 2016.

I think that's actually a good point - because to kids playing it they likely wouldn't have the OG Spyro to compare it to, so that simplistic magic of bounding around collecting Gems, Orbs and Eggs might very much still be a mesmerising experience for them. Especially when they don't have some of the baggage attached to it that older players might have.

You can go wild with the Vox Pop's if you like.... I've actually had to do a few of those myself (asking the questions,not answering them) they feel as awkward as they sound by the way. But hey, I mean people get cornered in the street by someone with a MIc in their hand for weirder questions than "Hey, do you prefer the original Spyro the Dragon trilogy, or Reignited?"

I get what you mean about Ratchet and Clank 2016, but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much with that one. I think maybe because I never expected it to be a remake that's particularly true to the original, as it's a little more handcuffed to the fact it's also sort of a film adaptation at the same time.

You know, I'd still buy a Spyro 4 from Toys for Bob... there's just no hint of what they're working on at the moment. Fingers crossed.

As would I mate! I'll be honest I was more excited for a potential Spyro 4 than a Crash 4, just because Spyro doesn't seem as easy to screw up as Crash does. Both have had their off days, but Crash has had some real catastrophic ones.

Look, Sheila's redesign was pretty bad, but I have to come to the defence of boobs. 

Boobs are *pretty good* - 10/10.

I don't know man - when Sheila goes from looking like a fairly innocent Sesame Street reject in the original trilogy, to what she does in Reignited, I kind of just try not to see the Boobs ?. I can appreciate breats (you referenced Caddicarus before, so I figure you'll get that) but Sheila's just feel horrific.

I honestly don't mind. It's just an online username. I'm a little different to current social trends in issue by saying: "I don't care what you refer to me by, I care that you know I exist." 

It's very difficult to avoid saying "just call me [my real name]," especially when I deduced Rjkclarke's first name when I began reading your checklist. It's like when Tom Holland's Spider-Man met The Avengers and said, "Hi, I'm Peter," and then, "oh, we're using our made-up names. In that case, I'm Spider-Man!"

Gonzo genuinely doesn't have any connection to anything for me with the exception that it's what this Checklist group calls me. I don't know, call me Gonzo, call me Vice, call me Arsehole, whatever, just call me. :)

You mean when you clock in for work people don't point and go " AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY it's Gonzo!!!" I thought it was the name you were given by birth ?

Yeah, haha. That's a great analogy about The Avengers thing.   I've never really cared all that much whether people know my real name or not, :facepalm:?..... so eventually I just left a few not very subtle clues here and there, before doing that post about Goran where I had no choice but to actually reveal my name, otherwise half of one of the anecdotes about him wouldn't have worked.

I guess I'll figure something out, I'm kind of between keeping Gonzo and Vice, but we'll see man. If you end up preferring one or the other just let me know!

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

You can go wild with the Vox Pop's if you like.... I've actually had to do a few of those myself (asking the questions,not answering them) they feel as awkward as they sound by the way.

I'm interested in hearing the story if you're willing to tell it (as well as your progress in learning to drive).

As would I mate! I'll be honest I was more excited for a potential Spyro 4 than a Crash 4, just because Spyro doesn't seem as easy to screw up as Crash does. Both have had their off days, but Crash has had some real catastrophic ones.

It's concerning when a series continues to go on and on with consistently diminishing returns that severely outnumber the amount of successes, right? 

You mean when you clock in for work people don't point and go " AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY it's Gonzo!!!" I thought it was the name you were given by birth 1f644.png

Lol no but some people have at least some meaning with their PSNIDs (such as our resident Doctor... I think that even though it looks to be a Hitman reference, it's actually a reference to one of his favourite books...?)

so eventually I just left a few not very subtle clues here and there, before doing that post about Goran where I had no choice but to actually reveal my name, otherwise half of one of the anecdotes about him wouldn't have worked.

Oh for sure but I had it before that... your PSNID is obviously your first three initials and last name, and very early in your checklist you mentioned having multiple phases for your first name over your life, and it reminded me of this Cyanide and Happiness comic: 

images.png

... by the way, what's your social security number and credit card details?

I guess I'll figure something out, I'm kind of between keeping Gonzo and Vice, but we'll see man. If you end up preferring one or the other just let me know!

Ummm let's commit to Vice unless you have a clear preference?

Not really a big deal either way :)

• Like 2

I like this thread, but you should seriously consider re-evaluating your Score System. You just cut off 3.5 - 0 because you couldn't fill it anymore.

Maybye drop the .5 rating and instead overhaul the whole thing, so you don't always have to give the highest possible score.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

I like this thread, but you should seriously consider re-evaluating your Score System. You just cut off 3.5 - 0 because you couldn't fill it anymore.

Maybye drop the .5 rating and instead overhaul the whole thing, so you don't always have to give the highest possible score.

Thanks Paleblood, I appreciate the constructive criticism. 

The reason why I have lumped anything below a 4 together into one group is the same reason that I hope, over time, the amount of games rated between 8 and 10 will equate to more than 50% of the games on the list in total. This is because I have put in an increasing amount of research into the games that I play since I started trophy hunting and therefore invest my time and money into games that I expect to meet a high standard. Time is short, after all, and I generally want to spend it playing better games... in short, I expect to be ranking very few games below a 4/10. Does that make sense?

As far as the .5 increments go, the general grounds for that decision are as such: 

Not all 10/10s are 100% perfect. For example, I believe that Grand Theft Auto V is a 10/10 game even though it has blatant imperfections. 

Some people will accommodate for that in simply never rating any game as a 10/10.

What I propose instead is that the ranking represents the maximum value that the game should reach. 

So where The Last of Us may be (for example), a 9.8, and GTA V may be a 9.9, I'd forcibly round them up to a 10/10, just like I would for a 9.51...

All in all, an overcomplicated system for sure, but I don't know of a better alternative other than giving 9.9/10s out, which I think is too overprecise and inflexible. Being inflexible with a ranking is something I would desperately like to avoid.

I have been struggling to think of a better way to go about rankings for the last 6 months. If you have a better suggestion as to how I could overhaul it, I am definitely open to considering it.

Thank you as well for the compliment, I'm glad you like the thread and that you're obviously interested in having it become better.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 9:41 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

Stewart-Copeland-Anthology.jpg

2007's The Stewart Copeland Anthology by Stewart Copeland

[What an absolutely terrible Photoshop effort. The longer I look at it the more my brain hurts.]

On 15/03/2022 at 3:42 AM, rjkclarke said:

WHY DID SHE NEED TO HAVE BOOBS AND A CLEAVAGE.

On 15/03/2022 at 4:45 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Because gamers like BEEWWWWBBBZZZ!!

Have you seen the leaked album art for the The Stewart Copeland Anthology 2022 Reignited Re-release?

Stewart-Copeland-2.png

• Like 2

Oh, the arousal... I'm like a teenager holding a notebook in front of his junk over here?

Well done, sir! I'm still debating whether I like the tornado's breasts or the little breast clouds better?

...or the fact that this is all happening on an even larger set of breasts.

I'm reminded of this Naked Gun bit:

• Like 1

On 18/03/2022 at 5:52 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Ummm let's commit to Vice unless you have a clear preference1f918.png

You fell into my trap! Well done, you made the decision for me.... Gonzo, Vice it is then.

On 20/03/2022 at 3:04 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Have you seen the leaked album art for the The Stewart Copeland Anthology 2022 Reignited Re-release?

Stewart-Copeland-2.png

Haha! This cracked me up, and every time I look at it I can't help but smile.... 11/10 for effort Man!

Oh for sure but I had it before that... your PSNID is obviously your first three initials and last name, and very early in your checklist you mentioned having multiple phases for your first name over your life, and it reminded me of this Cyanide and Happiness comic: 

images.png

... by the way, what's your social security number and credit card details?

You have no idea how accurate that is, haha!

I suspect you probably figured it out sooner than most people did by the looks of it.

I have been referred to as all of those things at some point during my life. Bob was one that stuck for a while, but I never liked. I'll stick at Rob for now, even when I've transitioned from having the hair of the Rob in that image, to Bob ?.... can't hold onto my hair forever, that horseshoe/hair doughnut  is coming for most of us eventually, it is what it is. Nothing wrong with it. 

It's concerning when a series continues to go on and on with consistently diminishing returns that severely outnumber the amount of successes, right? 

Absolutely - it's never good when it happens to a series you love either, like it did for Crash and Spyro for those dark mid 2000's onwards times. I kin d of liked what they were trying with that weird reboot trilogy where Elijah Wood was Spyro, but I struggled to get on with those in the end. I didn't like the fact that the gems weren't finite, almost gave me n reason to want to bother even picking them up. 

I did worry for a while that the Yakuza series would go down that route, where the bigger it got the quality would just drop off a cliff, but thankfully it only has a few duds, and those are mainly just "less good" compared to others.

I'm sure you can too, but I can think of plenty of times where a game series has suffered that fate. Shame really.

• Like 1

Wow, it's the very first time I read a Far Cry series dedicated post xD well done, you really went hard on them games.

I haven't played all the Far Cry games, I was more of an Assassin's Creed kind of guy (played them all), but from what I played, it was Far Cry (on the PC), Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4 and Far Cry Primal. I do remember being amazed by Far Cry due to the amazing graphics, just to be sniped from across the map. After 3 more of those instances I just deleted the game and returned to Unreal Tournament.

But this has been a long time ago. To address the true question:

58 minutes ago, Platinum_Vice said:

How many Far Cry games did it take you to reach this type of fatigue? Have you reached it?

Yes, only one was necessary: Far Cry 3. Truth be told I did play this one AFTER I already got plastered by AC's Tower synchronization and collectathons, but when I got into Far Cry 3 I was amazed by the game for like 2-3 hours and just got bored for the rest of the game. Especially after Vaas was kinda booted out and was replaced with Hoyt, the coco jumbo version of Tony Montana. I didn't think poorly of the game, but for some reason I liked Far Cry 4 more than 3. At least Ajay Ghale was more pleasant than that hell yeah fellow cocaine brothers Jason Brody.

I also liked Pagan Min more because of his pink suit.

But probably my favorite....was Far Cry Primal ? why? Because it was the most memorable one. If you show me an out of context screenshot from a Far Cry game with your character holding a gun, chances are I won't know if it's from 3,4,5 or 6. BUT with Far Cry Primal? I could finally be 

apes.jpg

Story? Characters? Wenjanese? Who cares about that? Just go Neanderthallica on the neighboring crazy fire people and bonk them in the head.

Also why is it my favorite? It prevented me from ever buying another Far Cry game. It deserves the glorious mention. Series can't get better than that.

• Like 3

That's a great Far Cry retrospective man - really enjoyed that one!

Genuine question for ya:

On 25/03/2022 at 6:20 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

There is a major choice in the endgame where  you have to decide between two women and two ways of life. You can either side with a nutcase woman who is leading the native tribe, have sex with her and kill your girlfriend Liza, or you can kill the nutcase and return to Liza. You might be saying “hmmm, that’s not really that hard of a choice,” however, Liza has been a humongous nag for the entire game and has actively been criticising all of your actions and decisions, and as a player, you have absolutely NO inclination to stay with her. Meanwhile, the native tribe revere you. Doesn’t sound like much of a choice when I say it like that either, does it? Unfortunately, the choice is framed like it is supposed to make you conflicted, so it falls very short in that regard. 

I'm convinced, based on having played that game twice now, that the original intent, and the way the game's story plays out, that there was never meant to be a choice there.

There seems like absolutely no reason to include the "save your 'girlfriend' ending, as it completely undercuts the whole 'anti-white-savior' ironic tone of the game - it felt to me like they needed the player to get his comeuppance at the end, to make their whole narrative point about what ludicrous, privileged, entitled assholes him and his friends are land properly.

I'm convinced they were forced to add that 'hollywood' option, to appease the producers / publishers, rather than actually wanting to do it... because they put absolutely no effort into making any of the white characters look remotely redeemable throughout the rest of the narrative ?

...is that just me?

Did you feel the same?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm convinced, based on having played that game twice now, that the original intent, and the way the game's story plays out, that there was never meant to be a choice there.

There seems like absolutely no reason to include the "save your 'girlfriend' ending, as it completely undercuts the whole 'anti-white-savior' ironic tone of the game - it felt to me like they needed the player to get his comeuppance at the end, to make their whole narrative point about what ludicrous, privileged, entitled assholes him and his friends are land properly.

I'm convinced they were forced to add that 'hollywood' option, to appease the producers / publishers, rather than actually wanting to do it... because they put absolutely no effort into making any of the white characters look remotely redeemable throughout the rest of the narrative 1f602.png

...is that just me?

Did you feel the same?

Interesting! 

Let me see... the writing was pretty sub-par, so I defaulted to thinking it was just a failed attempt to give the player agency, but I can see exactly where you're coming from.

I'd have to look at the trends around the period of release... they're less likely to have shoehorned something like that in unless it was an industry norm...

Far Cry 3 was released in Nov 2012. In that year, Mass Effect 3 and Dishonored came out with separate degrees of player choice being integrated into them. The Walking Dead was well-received for narrative-based player choices (or the illusion of it). Spec Ops: The Line was well-received critically for implementing moral choices as well.

So this is definitely fertile ground for this theory. 

I'll back you on this one, Doc, I like it.

• Like 1

Oh my, another high quality checklist that will inspire my never-ending backlog to grow and grow.

I just read your review of The Witness and just had to throw it on my wishlist.  Missed out when it was a PS+ title almost a year ago, as it's a game I would typically buy on PC.  But here we are!

Time to dive in and get caught up on your write ups.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

Oh my, another high quality checklist that will inspire my never-ending backlog to grow and grow.

I just read your review of The Witness and just had to throw it on my wishlist.  Missed out when it was a PS+ title almost a year ago, as it's a game I would typically buy on PC.  But here we are!

Welcome! 

I enjoy your checklist too, and we have a similar taste in games, so I'll be taking recommendations from you as well. ?

The Witness definitely comes highly recommended - if you like puzzle games, then I believe it is a staple!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

breaking-bad-gus-fring.gif

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Welcome! 

I enjoy your checklist too, and we have a similar taste in games, so I'll be taking recommendations from you as well. 1f918.png

The Witness definitely comes highly recommended - if you like puzzle games, then I believe it is a staple!

I peeped your profile and saw you just completed Hyper Light Drifter.  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

I played it on PC on release, loved it, and rebought it on Playstation for the trophies but haven't gotten to it yet.  The one shot and dash eternal trophies look super intimidating, and the collectibles seemed very tedious to track.  How'd you like it?

14 hours ago, YaManSmevz said:

breaking-bad-gus-fring.gif

Done.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DrunkenEngineer said:

I peeped your profile and saw you just completed Hyper Light Drifter.  I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

It is true! It has been a big journey. I can't stop thinking about it so I will definitely be reviewing it over the next month. I've got two other review posts that I'm juggling but HLD will be right after those. It will score highly.

one shot

Yes, but it can be save scummed. The video in the trophy guide on PSNP does simplify this run.

the collectibles seemed very tedious to track.

100%.

And worse, they don't track into NG+

dash eternal trophies

Hardest trophy I've ever gone for. Just not my wheelhouse. 

Stick with the PC version ?

• Like 1

On 24/02/2022 at 4:05 PM, Platinum_Vice said:

Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled: 

If the N. Sane Trilogy is a silver standard for remastering a classic, then Nitro Fueled is the gold standard. 

I was perfectly happy to walk away with beating Oxide’s time trials for the platinum, but I thoroughly commend @KindaSabbath, @Destructor-8, @Shrooba, @LancashireLad87 and @Venilusionist-25 for their persistence in their pursuit of the devilish developer time trials. That damn William-P is a beast. Curse you, Willie!

I didn't respond to this from awhile ago but thought I'd say that all the write ups you do are really cool. I've had a good laugh reading some of the random shit I see here haha. I'm not the best but I still appreciate the shout out regardless. I look forward to more of these anyway as these can be pretty funny when reading through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Destructor-8 said:

I didn't respond to this from awhile ago but thought I'd say that all the write ups you do are really cool. I've had a good laugh reading some of the random shit I see here haha. I'm not the best but I still appreciate the shout out regardless. I look forward to more of these anyway as these can be pretty funny when reading through.

You're making me blush! ?

Thanks Des!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Platinum_Vice said:

Stick with the PC version 1f44d.png

PC version does have achievements so I can at least give Dash Eternal a go there as a test run.  It's a gorgeous game but goddamn is it hard.

The follow-up Solar Ash was pretty damn tough for this old man, but still easier than HLD.

• Like 2

Series: Far Cry

I'm so late to the party on this one you've probably already moved out of your Mother in laws house. HAHAHAHA OTHER THREAD REFERENCES. (Okay I'll go hang my head in shame somewhere ?)

But first, before I hang my head in shame, I ought to say what a cracking job you did with this series overview. Really enjoyed reading these. Little side note, but on the last page you mentioned going through your games chronologically now, review wise. Mad props for that, because I just didn't have the motivation to do that, that's why I stuck to just random order aside from the games and the series that necessitate an order.

Anywaaaaaay...... back to it! You also hit upon a little bit of the problem I've had in the past when thinking about reviewing some of the Far Cry games I've played for my own thread - and that's  that I keep worrying that the reviews wouldn't read remotely interesting, because of how similar they all are, you've definitely proved it can be done though, as have others. So I guess I ought to bite the bullet and take a crack at one at some point.

You really hit the nail on the head with how much the games sort of just blend together after a certain point. It isn't something I particularly mind, as Far Cry is a series I'd only ever play, every now and then, when the mood takes me for some mindless Ubisoft Open World-ness.

We're also pretty much in agreement about Far Cry: Blood Dragon pretty much being the best one. It's mad that it still is after all this time as well. There's so many things about the game that just shouldn't work, but it just does. It's also practically the perfect length I'd say, as almost nothing in it really outstays its welcome all that much. At least didn't for me.

Far Cry: Primal:

This game sucks. It retains all of the biggest problems of the series (unrelatable characters and disinteresting narrative, vapid gameplay, lack of tension, repetition, over-reliance on collectibles to flesh out play-time) and removes two of the series’ strengths (guns for all occasions and lots of explosions). 

This game is such a weird one. I actually quite enjoyed it for what it was. But I can definitely see why you and plenty of other people I know didn't get on with it, the story or the characters are in almost no way engaging whatsoever.

For me though, I'd even go as far as to say it's one of the games I definitely prefer out of the 4 Far Cry games I've played with trophies (I did play the original on the Xbox, or the remake of the original, whatever it was that was called Far Cry: Instincts I think).  

At least it was something different, or different enough that it didn't feel quite as much like playing the same game in a slightly different place, with slightly more exotic (or less depending on location) set of animals you can disrupt battles with.

I didn't mind the lack of guns too much either. Especially when the Bows in the game actually feel fairly realistic. One of my other hobbies is Archery, and I shoot a Longbow too, so the fact that in Far Cry: Primal they're very imprecise and will often just whiff the odd shot even if you think you've loosed the bow correctly, and aimed for a particular place sometimes it'll just fall short or falter. I thought was a cool touch.  

I'd also say the one upside of everyone speaking UGGGG is that Hurk doesn't actually speak quite as much ?

Either way, awesome job with this man! Also big congrats on Hyper Light Drifter, I'm looking forward to that review in the pipeline, I'm planning to play that game myself at some point.

On 02/04/2022 at 6:12 PM, DrunkenEngineer said:

I can certainly see why that might happen!

I've had The Witness on my backlog for like the longest time too.  This thread, Smevz' and Doc's have all bumped it quite high up the queue, then other games end up leap frogging it, but I definitely need to get around to it. One of these days I will though.

I did hear a rumour too (one that I might have started, ??) that the person who wrote the guide on this site for The Witness is also pretty damn awesome, so you'll also be in pretty safe hands when/if you need to consult a guide during your playthrough.

Edited by rjkclarke
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rjkclarke said:

I'm so late to the party on this one you've probably already moved out of your Mother in laws house. HAHAHAHA OTHER THREAD REFERENCES. (Okay I'll go hang my head in shame somewhere 1f602.png)

HAHAHAHAHAHA WE ARE LAUGHING

laugh-ron-burgundy.gif

?

Mad props for that, because I just didn't have the motivation to do that, that's why I stuck to just random order aside from the games and the series that necessitate an order.

You also hit upon a little bit of the problem I've had in the past when thinking about reviewing some of the Far Cry games I've played for my own thread - and that's  that I keep worrying that the reviews wouldn't read remotely interesting, because of how similar they all are

You clearly put pen to paper when you're inspired to do so which surely equates to better writing. 

I wouldn't worry. We follow and enjoy your thread because of your writing style and opinions. ?

We're also pretty much in agreement about Far Cry: Blood Dragon pretty much being the best one. It's mad that it still is after all this time as well. There's so many things about the game that just shouldn't work, but it just does.

Yes. This is surely due to a positive work environment and passion for the project! 

the Bows in the game actually feel fairly realistic. One of my other hobbies is Archery, and I shoot a Longbow too, so the fact that in Far Cry: Primal they're very imprecise and will often just whiff the odd shot even if you think you've loosed the bow correctly, and aimed for a particular place sometimes it'll just fall short or falter. I thought was a cool touch.  

For me though, I'd even go as far as to say it's one of the games I definitely prefer out of the 4 Far Cry games I've played with trophies

Interesting, I can't say that I noticed this detail.

An archery fan? Wow. Aussies don't get to do much of that at the moment... it hasn't evolved from being a gimmicky afternoon for group bookings costing a lot of money, akin to go-karting, paintballing and axe-throwing in the land Down Under. Do you get much of an opportunity?

I'd also say the one upside of everyone speaking UGGGG is that Hurk doesn't actually speak quite as much 1f602.png

That's pure facts right there.

I can't believe that you've not played The Witness or Hyper Light Drifter. I will nag you about this!

• Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 6:31 AM, Platinum_Vice said:

Puzzle Post II:

An Indie Omnibus

Braid.pngL31adda.pngL0024ed.png

I hope this was a nice change of pace from a full series review. As always, feel free to let me know your thoughts! 1f913.png

What an awesome collection of write ups! ?

This is a great idea for this checklist - loved all three of these, and theme-ing them together is perfect in this format!

Braid

This isn't just a great write up of Braid BTW - it's also got probably the best, most concise and well laid out explainer for the story in Braid I've seen, dude!

Definitely spoiler'y, but having played the whole game twice, you're still pointing out stuff I never saw - I've never seen that monster in the window until now, and I've also never really thought about the whole "Mario is the villain" thing before - but that's blowing my mind!

INSIDE

I played that one is a total fever - start to finish in one sitting, and so this one was cool to revisit the game, as I think I forgot a lot of it!

The whole thing was creepy as hell - like seeing factory farming from the point of view of the cow, I suppose - but that's just the initial impression. I never really thought about any of this:

This suggests to me that the huddle’s escape was orchestrated. The secret ending upon finding all collectibles (shutting down the facility’s power sources) ends with the playable character shutting down and folding over in the same animation of the other drones once you disconnected from their mind control devices. This asks the question: who is controlling who? The boy controls the drones, the player controls the boy, the game controls the player (BioShock’s “would you kindly?” twist, anyone?), and the developer controls the game. 

The facility itself represents the development of a video game. The amorphous and faceless Huddle at the end represents the majority of players that move together in a blunt and powerful fashion that performs as expected and manoeuvres their way to the predetermined ending. The secret ending represents unplugging from the oppressive predetermined world by branching off, applying your own free will and playing however the hell you want to play it. 

Just like how Inception is Christopher Nolan’s allegory for making a movie, Inside is allegorical of video game development. 

At least, that’s my take. 

and that's super cool to think about!

RIME

You know - I dug Rime, but I don't disagree on the comparisons here - I think it's a good puzzle game, but stacking against Inside and Braid, and it starts to look pale by comparison! That ending is crushing though, totally agree.

I think the lack of metaphorical gameplay I think is a pretty fair criticism, though I'd argue that (at least, in my playthrough, the "depression" stage did manage some of that - might just be me, but I found that level way confusing to navigate, and so I quite often ended up realising that I was in the wrong place, or going the wrong way, because everything looks the same, and it's all in a big circle, so I thought it kind of managed to be a metaphor for stagnating, and just circling the drain in that part.

Totally agree on the other two though - the devs seem to get more into just crafting cool parts to look at, rather than having metaphorical one-to-one selements to the specific stage of grief they are aiming for.

Also, ps:

Screenshot-2022-04-11-at-07-41-31.png

Rime and the Witness take place in the same universe: Confirmed!

?

Awesome work as always man!

• Like 3

Braid

Wow what an amazing write-up xD Braid was always a fun "this is how you make an indie" game and reading your conclusions was truly entertaining and, dare I say, eye opening. I never saw the story from that perspective.

There's one thing about this game that the trophy guide doesn't mention: every level has a super hidden wont-figure-out-unless-you-check-online star, which are a pain to get.

Also, will tag it in the spoilers just for good measure:

Spoiler

You can actually catch the princess at the end of the game if you do a series of odd jumps and time manipulations. It kinda sours the story though, because I like your take on the story way more :D 

• Like 2