Scariest game I've played in 30+ years...

Spraragen88

Yeah this is without a doubt one of the scarier games out there. The only game that got my pulse up. Have been kinda immune to scares since I play so much horror games but this game got me good a few times. 

Really happy to se we got a PS5 stack now to play aswell. 

4 hours ago, Quink666 said:

Unfortunately not. I been keeping an eye out but have seen nothing regarding a physical release. At least the PS5 digital upgrade is free. 

yeah its in my wishlist for a decent sale.  Even weirder, is despite ShangChi having a 4k release for Nov 30, i can't find it on amazon to order (normally get way cheaper price).

yeah. i collect stuff lol

This game is insanely scary. I played most the old scary games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill, this is way spookier. Game does a lot of "unfair" things to spook you like turn off lights, close doors, and have things appear that weren't there. Absolutely amazing. Beat the PS4 version a few weeks ago to celebrate Halloween month.

Biggest missable is the Doll Collector trophy, but I'd suggest doing it on a second play through so there isn't any spoiling of Lucy's scenario.

I played this a few weeks ago. Sadly, I didn't find it too scary. Definitely very uncomfortable feelings throughout though. I've played a lot of horror games over the years, so maybe I'm just numb to a lot of everything now. It did have its moments though, like a ghost standing in a doorway after turning a corner, and not knowing if they'll just go away on their own, or if you actually have to approach them to make them leave. I liked how the game often didn't make it overly obvious when an enemy was nearby, but sadly it did all too often fall to that cliché, with the presence of flickering lights, creepy music and sanity falling.

There were some moments that were just irritating more than anything, especially in the Lucy chapter. Just randomly being killed by something that popped out of literally nowhere that I had no chance of avoiding just felt annoying more than terrifying, needlessly hampering my progress and punishing me for seemingly nothing. I also encountered the dreaded "missing sledgehammer" glitch which thankfully somehow fixed itself after wandering around the house twice over. It would have prevented me from completing the game at all otherwise. I also very nearly saved the game just before something decided to appear out of no where and kill me, right as I'm about to save. Dunno what would have happened if I did at that moment, most of the time the save option was greyed out when there was danger nearby.

I also found the sanity mechanic kind of confusing and annoying, especially when compared to other gams with a similar mechanic (e.g. Amnesia). There'd be times I was standing in a lit area, but my sanity would fall, and once it started to fall, I'd start witnessing more paranormal events that kept causing it to fall further, and then when it reached its limit(?), taking the pills like the game told me to seem to do absolutely nothing, to the point I would just deliberately kill myself to get my sanity back to normal.

The "waiting 3 seconds to pause" is an interesting feature for a horror game, making it feel like you're never totally safe, you can never just instantly pause it and escape the horror... Except you can, by bringing up the PS home menu, rendering it completely useless. But still a nice tough nonetheless, even if it was ultimately pointless. And the existence of the game not truly pausing when you fist press "options" does present its own set of issues, like the aforementioned saving when you're in the process of dying.

I still very much enjoyed my time with this game though, even if it did have its issues (mostly technical). The story and characters were interesting, if a bit hard to believe and a little confusing sometimes. From what I gather, the protagonist is kind of a POS and is stuck in his own personal purgatory wrecked with guilt over how his actions affected the lives of others. Interesting if slightly overdone concept for a horror story.

Now it's been ported to PS5, it'd be nice to see it get a physical eventually, though I have a feeling it may be through Limited Run Games or similar.

• Like 1