Your TOP 5 TV Shows

TuomasH92

- Spacecenter Babylon 5: One of the best Sci Fi series ever made. The special effects show their age, but the story and characters make up for it.

- Law and Order: The Original. I love the atmosphere and the split between the police and the attourney part.

- Special Unit 2: A series about a special unit of the Chicago P. D. that hunts down mythological creatures.

- Kozure Okami: TV series from the 70s, based on the manga Lone Wolf and Cub.

- Live on Mars (The BBC one): Mystery/Crime series about a policeman from 2006, who gets in an car accident and wakes up in the year 1973. Should be watched alone for the performance of Philip Glenister as DCI Gene Hunt and the 70s soundtrack.

Honnorable Mentions:

- Ashes to Ashes: sequel to live on mars,

- Drifters: anime about historical figures who travel to a fantasy world and defend Hitler´s kingdom from Jesus(apt comment from an youtube video about the series) - based on the manga by the Hellsing mangaka.

- Home Improvement: comedy with Tim Allen.

- Monty Python´s Flying Circus: It´s Monty Python, must I write more?

- Boston Legal: Dramedy series in which James Spader and William Shattner play 2 attorneys that are friends despite their political and characterlistic differences.

Edited by reaperveteran86
  • Like 2

1. The Joy of Painting - Bob Ross kept me company through a very tough time of my life.

2. Quantum Leap and Sliders - Nerdy young me loved this sci-fi stuff.

3. Prison Break [Season 1] - I will never forget the ever-present suspense and the staggering cliffhangers at the end of each episode.

4. Lost - It was fascinating how my opinion of James and Jack's characters completely changed throughout time.

5. Game of Thrones - Battle of the Bastards is simply my all-time favorite tv show episode.

Edited by LastMinuteSavior
  • Like 4

1) Star Trek (TNG & DS9) - I will never not feel sorry for anyone who has never seen Star Trek because it's 'that weird old nerd show'
2) Better Call Saul
3 & 4 tied) Breaking Bad, Urasawa's Monster
5) Fresh Prince - Best sitcom hands down

Honorable Mentions: True Detective (Season 1), The Wire (have not finished it yet), Game of Thrones (you know why it's not in the list), Spongebob Squarepants

Edited by Sirpickle311
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 8:34 PM, EverythingOnFire said:

1) Star Trek: The Next Generation

2) Better Call Saul

3) Breaking Bad

4) Futurama

5) NYPD Blue

10 Honorable mentions: Trailer Park Boys, The Venture Bros, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Check it Out! with Doctor Steve Brule, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Seinfeld, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Rick & Morty, An Idiot Abroad, The Ricky Gervais Show.

I'm glad to see some old stuff in your choices like Star Trek: The Next Generation, Seinfeld, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Venture Bros and Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia gave Danny Devito's show business career a much needed boost. The Venture Bros and Aqua Teen Hunger Force both had great juvenile comedy. I don't need to say anything on Seinfeld, because it's one of the best comedies we ever made.

Honestly I just stopped caring about the new stuff. Too much shit to keep track of on Netflix and Amazon Prime nowadays.

• Like 1

1. Arrested Development

2. Scrubs

3. Community

4. 30 Rock

5. ER

The first four were easy choices but the fifth was difficult as I've seen so many fantastic shows over the years;

Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Elementary, The Good Doctor, Chuck could easily have made it into 5th. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Great show, Strange how only the original series seemed to have an impact on what people watched. Almost Taboo for the time period.

It's true - there are some good episodes in the Wes Craven Era, and in the Forrest Whittaker ones, (I haven't seen any of the Peele ones yet)... but none that ever matched some of those original episodes - The Good Life, The Monsters of Maple Street, The Obsolete Man, Time Enough at Last, To Serve Man - those are such classics now!

I feel like once you have seen all five seasons of the original TZ series, you are able to view all sci-fi like Neo sees the Matrix - you can see the Twilight Zone's genetic code in everything that came after it! ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I feel like once you have seen all five seasons of the original TZ series, you are able to view all sci-fi like Neo sees the Matrix - you can see the Twilight Zone's genetic code in everything that came after it! 1f602.png

That's absolute truth! Cultural impact of TTZ cannot be overemphasized. All modern sci-fi is based on this tv show, from the Simpsons to M Night Shyamalan. In one episode there is a scene where a man talking to reflection in the mirror "you talking to me". Some special effects may be outdated now but writing is spectacular! I especially love episodes with Robert Redford and Buster Keaton.

• Like 2

Well, not sure about a top five best, but these are all the shows I currently watch:

The Expanse

The Orville

Black Mirror

Westworld

The Handmaid's Tale

The Witcher

The Walking Dead

Used to really love La Femme Nikita and 24, too, but having re-watched them on DVD a while back, they didn't hold up quite as well as I remembered. I've also seen an embarrassing amount of cartoons—stuff like The Simpsons, Futurama, SpongeBob, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Regular Show, and so on—to the point where my inner monologue is inundated with quotes and references. It's bad and I should feel bad, but my only regret is that I have Boneitis.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have a new favorite one (and i cant believe no one has mentioned it once in this thread)

The Americans

Its starts slow, maybe too slow for some ppl but the ending is so good, fitting and satisfying. The entire last season i got that underlying feeling something was gonna happen and it didn't disappoint, unlike some other botched endings. (Dexter, Game of Thrones and in a sense Breaking Bad)

Its a slow but steady investment that rewards the long time viewers that pay attention, weeks later i still keep thinking about it.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SHADOW-KILLER-S2 said:

I have a new favorite one (and i cant believe no one has mentioned it once in this thread)

The Americans

Its starts slow, maybe too slow for some ppl but the ending is so good, fitting and satisfying. The entire last season i got that underlying feeling something was gonna happen and it didn't disappoint, unlike some other botched endings. (Dexter, Game of Thrones and in a sense Breaking Bad)

Its a slow but steady investment that rewards the long time viewers that pay attention, weeks later i still keep thinking about it.

hell yes!

The Americans is fantastic TV - a brilliant show from start to finish!

(I actually thought even the pilot was riveting, but the show only gets better and better!) 

You’re right - it’s a show that seems to get left off a lot of lists of the best, but the writing is sharp as hell, the tension is done to perfection, and the cast are uniformly excellent.

I remember thinking that whoever it was that wrote and directed some of the episodes should be first choice to do a Hitman movie - because in the episodes with ‘missions’ being undertaken, The Americans manages to capture the feeling of playing Hitman way better than either of the actual Hitman movies ever did! 

Edited by DrBloodmoney

Top 5

Twin Peaks

The Wire

The Sopranos

Breaking Bad

Seinfeld or Curb your Enthusiasm

Honorable mentions:

Game of Thrones (I admit that I've been avoiding this series all these years and only started watching it recently, now I can't stop!)

Northern Exposure

The Wonder Years (these last two titles for nostalgic reasons mostly, so many memories)

This is off the top of my head, maybe I'm missing something obvious :D

Edited by det_gittes
missing article
  • Like 2