Your TOP 5 TV Shows

TuomasH92

I would not be able to make a true top 5 if you gave me a year to think about. So instead I will limit myself to a top 5 of British comedy series that I have rewatched at least 10 times:

1. The Thick Of It

2. The League Of Gentlemen

3. Bottom

4. Marion & Geoff

5. One Foot in the Grave

• Like 1

Too many to count.

Twin Peaks - Came out when I was a kid and just blew me away. Made me a fan of David Lynch and my avatar is from it.

The Twilight Zone - Classic black and white anthology.

Star Trek - The OG classic

The X-Flies - Man I miss the 90's. Was into this kinda stuff at the time.

Doctor Who - Grew up in England. This and Star Trek were the first tv shows I remember watching.

• Like 2

There’s a lot of TV shows I really appreciate, but rarely do I get around to watching them more than one time through. 

There are four shows I’ve binged multiple times and wouldn’t turn down doing it again:

Furturama

Gilmore Girls

Fringe

Arrested Development

I couldn’t even begin trying to pare down the remainders and it makes me not want to start. 

Top mentions (just off the top of my head, not speaking about my order of preference):

Dead Like Me

Heroes

Mad Men

Utopia (not the reality show)

The Americans

The Magicians

Supernatural

Locke and Key

House

Mr Robot

MST3K

Schitts Creek

Felicity

Wilfred

iZombie

Pushing Daisies

Psychoville

Continuum

Lost Girl

The Fades

Ive still got quite a few shows I haven’t finished or haven’t watched a second time to see if I still like them the first time I watched them:

Killjoys

Ozarks 

This Is Us

Westworld

Being Human (US)

Channel Zero

Sanctuary

I’m probably leaving dozens of shows off this list

• Like 2

I guess my PSN id makes South Park pretty obvious, so I’ll cheat a little bit and will list 5 other TV shows that also focus on harmonious tightly knit average communities:

The League of Gentlemen (1999-2002) [even named my local network Royston Vasey],

Twin Peaks (1990-1991 + 2017),

The Prisoner (1967-1968),

The Wire (2002-2008) and

Treme (2010-2013)

Edited by KennethMcCormick
And I put Flight of the Conchords in the "reason for edit" box because these blokes don’t fit anywhere :)
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Dramas: 

Game of Thrones

The Sopranos

Deadwood

Peaky Blinders

The Last Kingdom

Honorable mentions:

Succession

Shameless

True Detective (season 1 only)

Sons of Anarchy

The Walking Dead (seasons 1 & 2 only)

After Life

Comedies:

Trailer Park Boys

Curb Your Enthusiasm

The Office

Seinfeld

South Park

Overrated: 

Breaking Bad

The Wire

Ozark

Edited by mega-tallica

Breaking_Bad_logo.svg

The_Wire_logo.svg
Sopranos_titlescreen.png

Game_of_Thrones_title_card.jpg

HomelandTVSeries.jpg

HM to Entourage, Flight of the Conchords, Eastbound and Down, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, The Office, Ted Lasso, Fargo, The Last of Us, Deadwood, True Detective (season 1), Damages, The Twilight Zone

Need to watch: Yellowstone, Narcos, Tulsa King, The Morning Show, The Newsroom, House of the Dragon, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, Mayans, Mr. Robot, Poker Face, The Crown, Peaky Blinders, Dark Winds, The Old Man, Rome, Oz, House of Cards, Dexter

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 1

24 - very fast paced, surprising and shocking twists, never a dull moment, and the fucked up decisions that Jack Bauer is to forced to make at times makes this show quite the addicting thriller!

The Walking Dead - quite the opposite of 24 in terms of pacing, but still very exciting and anticipating to watch when the action does happen. The growth and transformation when it comes to certain characters is strong in this one, especially with Daryl and Carol.

Family Guy - never had a show that makes me laugh constantly and as much as this one. This show will make fun of anything and everything…no matter the subject or person it seems lol.

Breaking Bad - starts out slow but when things start heating up when Walter and Jesse find themselves in the most complicated situations, you’ll be glued to your tv set to see what’ll happen next. This show can be pretty funny too so that’s a plus.

Wentworth - couldn’t decide on a 5th one, but I figure I’ll mention one that hasn’t been said here yet. A very underrated show imo. Takes place in an all woman’s prison and is opposite of it’s lighter counterpart, Orange is the New Black, as this one is a bit more on the serious side, but still also has its comedic moments and likable characters too.

Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Better Call Saul, Prison Break, The 100 and Orange is the New Black (and lots more I’m sure I’ve forgotten) are some really good ones too. Some K-dramas/thrillers are also worth mentioning like Signal, Parasite and Mouse. I have yet to start The Last of Us, so can’t wait to get to that when I can.

Edited by Lum

1. Band of Brothers    It's so unbelievably realistic, its almost as if you're watching the real thing. I highly recommend reading the books too.

2. Breaking Bad     No explanation needed, if you've seen it, you know why it is so good.

3. Avatar The Last Airbender     Not just for kids, its very entertaining for adults too. The story and the way its told, the humor and the characters... are just amazing. Also, in my opinion, Zuko is one the best written characters ever in a tv show.

4. South Park     They killed Kenny!! You bastards!! It's just a great show that makes fun of everything and everyone.

5. Rick and Morty (seasons 1-6)     The absurd and fun adventures makes this show so good, its also very well written. Wubba Lubba Dub-Dub!!

Honorable mentions

House M.D.

Scrubs

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Friends (RIP Matthew Perry)

3rd Rock from the Sun

Family Guy

Game of Thrones (would have been in the top 5 if they didn't fuck up the last 2 seasons)

Top Gear (seasons 1-22)

Jackass

Mr. Bean

Spongebob Squarepants (the first 4 seasons)

My watchlist: Vikings, Sons of Anarchy, Chernobyl, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Better Call Saul, Black Mirror, Peaky Blinders, Boardwalk Empire, Mr. Robot, The Terminal List, Wednesday, Castlevania.

Lost

Californication

Narcos

Queen of the South

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul is right there as well.  Not easy listing only five.  Other honorable mentions: Black Sails, Perdida, Bloodline, Narcos: Mexico.  Quite a few others; those are the ones that come to mind at the moment.

Edited by SoliDeoGloriaIHS

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2023 at 12:49 PM, serrated-banner9 said:

Glad i wasn't the only one who thought this was good.

In no particular order:

1. Only Fools and Horses
  2. Top Gear

Don't watch many shows i have to admit but those 2 stand out as peak tv

Oh yeah bro. I watched so much Top Gear back in like 2010 when it was at it's best. The Grand Tour didn't do it for me but maybe I just lost interest at that point.

Only Fools and Horses is class and holds up so well even to this very day, the humour isn't outdated even if you watch it now. Some stuff is now politically incorrect but it is such a well made show

• Like 1

1. The Shield - This show dethroned Breaking Bad as my favorite. It was something different from the television landscape at the time, almost like a precursor to what television is today. Season one is a little rough, but as the show goes on, it continues to generate momentum leading into one of the most satisfying and memorable endings to a TV show. Michael Chiklis gives an incredible performance as the ruthless Vic Mackey and there are plenty of other standout performances from characters like Shane Vendrell and Dutch Wagenbach. It's not as polished as BB, but there's an entertainment factor to this series that is unrivaled. I believe there are plenty of Breaking Bad fans that will love this series if they give it a shot.

2. Breaking Bad - Very much like the Shield, it's an overall brilliant series with a remarkable cast of characters and plenty of unforgettable moments. The direction and cinematography are a spectacle to behold. It also has very strong meme power.

3. True Detective (season 1) - Excellent performances by both leads. The story is simultaneously harrowing and gripping. Feels very much like watching Seven or Silence of the Lambs in television format.

4. The Haunting of Hill House - I never thought there'd be a remarkable horror TV show, but this one proved me wrong. The cinematography is gorgeous and there are impressive performances by some of the actors. While I have enjoyed Mike Flanagan's subsequent works, particularly Midnight Mass and the more recent Fall of the House of Usher, I believe Hill House is Flanagan's magnum opus.

5. Lost - Despite its flaws, this show was something truly special for its time. It's the first real TV series I grew up with, so there is a nostalgia factor for me.

7 hours ago, RevengeancePrime said:

1. The Shield - This show dethroned Breaking Bad as my favorite. It was something different from the television landscape at the time, almost like a precursor to what television is today. Season one is a little rough, but as the show goes on, it continues to generate momentum leading into one of the most satisfying and memorable endings to a TV show. Michael Chiklis gives an incredible performance as the ruthless Vic Mackey and there are plenty of other standout performances from characters like Shane Vendrell and Dutch Wagenbach. It's not as polished as BB, but there's an entertainment factor to this series that is unrivaled. I believe there are plenty of Breaking Bad fans that will love this series if they give it a shot.

2. Breaking Bad - Very much like the Shield, it's an overall brilliant series with a remarkable cast of characters and plenty of unforgettable moments. The direction and cinematography are a spectacle to behold. It also has very strong meme power.

3. True Detective (season 1) - Excellent performances by both leads. The story is simultaneously harrowing and gripping. Feels very much like watching Seven or Silence of the Lambs in television format.

4. The Haunting of Hill House - I never thought there'd be a remarkable horror TV show, but this one proved me wrong. The cinematography is gorgeous and there are impressive performances by some of the actors. While I have enjoyed Mike Flanagan's subsequent works, particularly Midnight Mass and the more recent Fall of the House of Usher, I believe Hill House is Flanagan's magnum opus.

5. Lost - Despite its flaws, this show was something truly special for its time. It's the first real TV series I grew up with, so there is a nostalgia factor for me.

True detective (S1) is a great shout. All I remember is how slowly the story was told and how patient the viewer had to be. 

Then you have the McConaughey and Harrelson combo. So good

• Like 1