“The Signal” Crashing/Run On Sentence Unobtainable

KoeichiHero

For the last few days, ive been trying to obtain Run on Sentence, for completing the DLC in one run without continuing/dying.”, however the game keeps crashing. Ive looked up some other posts on Reddit/Gamefaqs and other users are having similar issues. Also, Ive tweeted the game’s Twitter account to help bring notice to this issue. Is anyone else having this issue? Any work-arounds available? Not sure if this is an issue on PS5.

my assumption is that it is a loading issue. Ive crashed in several places where the game is loading in enemies/doing the “shifts” where the environment is changing (said by the story). Popular places my game crashes are the furnace basement of the church, the “streetlight graveyard” area, and around the outside church area. These are areas a lot of enemies spawn conuously. 

9 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Yep, I’m having this issue as well. Currently reinstalling the game without a patch to try again, as the solution for continuing on with The Writer and then coming back to The Signal didn’t work for me.

Please let me know if this works for you.

When I did this I did it on ps4 and without patches, in addition to this I was disconected from the network (Turned internet off) as the internet was bad. It might be worth a shot, this idea has not been confirmed and as such not added to the guide. Hopefully this can help someone.

4 hours ago, KoeichiHero said:

Please let me know if this works for you.

It didn’t seem to work at first as it kept crashing, but after a few more tries and a couple console restarts I managed to fix the crashing bug and was able to progress past the crash area 3 times in a row.

I posted more details in the other thread: 

I hope that helps you and you can get the trophy too. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As of the newest update for PS4, I am still unable to get this trophy. Game still crashes near church (it once even crashed when entering the bathroom in the beginning!).

I’ve deleted the game data and played on base disc version but this method also does not work for me. I believe I’m just gonna give up on this. How a game this old cannot have the simple ability to just “work” on newer consoles is baffling. 

29 minutes ago, KoeichiHero said:

As of the newest update for PS4, I am still unable to get this trophy. Game still crashes near church (it once even crashed when entering the bathroom in the beginning!).

I’ve deleted the game data and played on base disc version but this method also does not work for me. I believe I’m just gonna give up on this. How a game this old cannot have the simple ability to just “work” on newer consoles is baffling. 

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to spit ball some ideas Can I ask;

What system are you using? If on ps4 and using a pro see if changing boost mode helps. Also if you have a ps5 download the ps4 build to the system, having more power might correct the issue.

It shouldn't be crashing there and is very odd as I never had one crash on both versions. I'm sorry you had this happen.

I would say dont give up hope!

Edited by wardragon989

On 1/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, wardragon989 said:

I'm sorry to hear this. Just to spit ball some ideas Can I ask;

What system are you using? If on ps4 and using a pro see if changing boost mode helps. Also if you have a ps5 download the ps4 build to the system, having more power might correct the issue.

It shouldn't be crashing there and is very odd as I never had one crash on both versions. I'm sorry you had this happen.

I would say dont give up hope!

I’m playing the PS4 version on a PS5. I’ve tried it with no patch and with the most recent update. I’ve tried playing it several times over to see if persistence was key. I’m currently working on the PS5 version as well, as I’ve heard this version has 0 issues with these trophies. It’s just the PS4 version.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I played this (digital copy) on PS4 and had a devil of a time with crashes. The start and stop method definitely works.

Pausing the game for five or more minutes at the following spots saved me from any further crash related issues: (1) when you’re leaving the house after getting the first flashlight upgrade pause on the path leading to the TVs before the cars come to life (2) after exiting the store where you get the shotgun, take the phone call then pause (3) after escaping the bird attack you’ll get a phone call and cross a road, pause after the phone call (4) in the church after you get the message on the TV but before going downstairs. Additionally I would suggest standing still during any phone calls as that sometimes seemed to trigger crashes as well.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2023 at 6:10 PM, ThePlatinumElite said:

I played this (digital copy) on PS4 and had a devil of a time with crashes. The start and stop method definitely works.

Pausing the game for five or more minutes at the following spots saved me from any further crash related issues: (1) when you’re leaving the house after getting the first flashlight upgrade pause on the path leading to the TVs before the cars come to life (2) after exiting the store where you get the shotgun, take the phone call then pause (3) after escaping the bird attack you’ll get a phone call and cross a road, pause after the phone call (4) in the church after you get the message on the TV but before going downstairs. Additionally I would suggest standing still during any phone calls as that sometimes seemed to trigger crashes as well.

This works!!! That was so terrible with that crashing which would make the Run-On Sentence trophy unobtainable. I can confirm (I don't know how but it did the magic) that pausing at certain places calms down the performance of the game or whatever is happening here. I paused on all of the above pointed locations, just right after phone calls, even more towards the end after each major encounter once getting into a light spot. I played the PS4 version of the game on my PS5 console (crashed on PS4 even more than on PS5), I don't know about patches, re-installing the game, none of this worked, just pause, go to Tik Tok or else watch a funny thing for 4-5 minutes and continue. I did this for my brother's profile who started it on PS4, I got that trophy on the PS5 version for mine where there was no such issue at all.

PS: Lots of guys might get the game free this July 2023 on the Monthly PS+ Essentials Games, just play and platinum the PS5 version of the game if you own a PS5 console, but for those who only own a PS4 console, well that's the solution - pause and chill out.

Edited by GLIGANA
  • Like 1