The dlc is kinda....bad

Taliesin_2943

The main game was pretty good but I'm trying to play the dlc and the picture is just grey and smudgy mIng everything kinda headache inducing and then it forces you to walk every few seconds because either your getting calls or an enemy shows up a d it takes a year and a half to highlight this new enemy spawning and this so far happens so much that I'm at the 3 hour mark and I'm probably half way through cause of it constantly panning around slow mo or forced walking while he narrates a d I'm just thinking did they have a 10 minute dlc and figured interrupting every few seconds made it better?

• Like 3

On 11/5/2021 at 0:35 AM, Taliesin_2943 said:

The main game was pretty good but I'm trying to play the dlc and the picture is just grey and smudgy mIng everything kinda headache inducing and then it forces you to walk every few seconds because either your getting calls or an enemy shows up a d it takes a year and a half to highlight this new enemy spawning and this so far happens so much that I'm at the 3 hour mark and I'm probably half way through cause of it constantly panning around slow mo or forced walking while he narrates a d I'm just thinking did they have a 10 minute dlc and figured interrupting every few seconds made it better?

i feel that way also plus the no death dlc trophies really killed it, second dlc is bad for no deaths

• 1 year later...

I had an amazing time with the base game. I enjoyed it even more than when I initially played back when it had just released on the xbox 360. The first DLC was decent, but the second one was incredibly frustrating. The game didnt really need a jump button in the first place, let alone entire platforming segments in a dlc that requires you to play it all in one sitting without dying. The hamster wheel segment in particular was incredibly janky, and made me give up on 100%. If you cut out all the platforming in The Writer I would have enjoyed it as much as I did The Signal.

Still, I wonder why this release didnt include the American Nightmare dlc. Maybe it has to do with the new sequel being planned, and the events of American Nightmare no longer being canon?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 5:13 PM, Snake_1302 said:

I had an amazing time with the base game. I enjoyed it even more than when I initially played back when it had just released on the xbox 360. The first DLC was decent, but the second one was incredibly frustrating. The game didnt really need a jump button in the first place, let alone entire platforming segments in a dlc that requires you to play it all in one sitting without dying. The hamster wheel segment in particular was incredibly janky, and made me give up on 100%. If you cut out all the platforming in The Writer I would have enjoyed it as much as I did The Signal.

Still, I wonder why this release didnt include the American Nightmare dlc. Maybe it has to do with the new sequel being planned, and the events of American Nightmare no longer being canon?

American Nightmare wasn't a dlc. It was its own game release exclusively on Xbox live arcade. 

• 5 months later...

Yeah it actually took away from my enjoyment. The main game is really good but the DLC just kind of took me out of it. The platforming in The Writer was trash especially for a game with such awful movement to begin with. Not to mention we're all trophy hunters of course and to have speedrunning ones mixed with essentially no death/restarting checkpoints is just...not good lol

Edited by Culturegeek

As much as I like Alan Wake, both DLCs are extremely bad, especially The Writer. What should be a conclusion to Alan's situation became an experimental playground for the devs, including exaggerated platforming and weird physic-related sections.

Not particularly hard, but really tedious to play.

• 2 months later...

I just actually got done getting 100% on The Signal DLC, and while it has some great ideas, it doesn't really add to the main game's story, and it's more frustrating than fun due to the amount of enemies they throw at you and the more restrictive, confined spaces you are in.  Lots of DLC has this problem, they think you've mastered the base game so they just throw enemies at you to up the challenge.  I had more trouble with The Signal on Normal than I did the main game on Nightmare.  

If you are going for the no-death run and beating the final boss in less than 90 seconds, I highly recommend running through most combat encounters - the boss fight is super easy if you can make it there with at least 10 battery refills and 3 flare guns ammo and/or flashbangs.  They one shot each TV.  Then just drop flares to keep the flying books off you and only focus on shining the light on the possessed boat until its destroyed

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 9/28/2023 at 12:18 PM, mattPilky69 said:

I just actually got done getting 100% on The Signal DLC, and while it has some great ideas, it doesn't really add to the main game's story, and it's more frustrating than fun due to the amount of enemies they throw at you and the more restrictive, confined spaces you are in.  Lots of DLC has this problem, they think you've mastered the base game so they just throw enemies at you to up the challenge.  I had more trouble with The Signal on Normal than I did the main game on Nightmare.  

If you are going for the no-death run and beating the final boss in less than 90 seconds, I highly recommend running through most combat encounters - the boss fight is super easy if you can make it there with at least 10 battery refills and 3 flare guns ammo and/or flashbangs.  They one shot each TV.  Then just drop flares to keep the flying books off you and only focus on shining the light on the possessed boat until its destroyed

I had to do 3 runs of The Signal dlc due to missing a couple collectables.  First one I stupidly decided I'd do the no death trophy and man that was stressful. Made it through, but by the skin of my teeth in a couple places.

Should've done the other runs first because by the third run the no death trophy was actually really easy.  Unintentionally did over 3/4 of the dlc without dying on that last run, got the two collectables I missed right before and in the lumber yard with the trucks, then decided since the rest is piss easy I'd see if I could finish it again.  Did it no problem.

It's easy to get to the end with 6 - 8 flaregun ammo too.  The first two and the fourth are literally in places between enemy encounters. 

The third is in the train car during the boom! section.  That one is somewhat tricky to grab, but really not bad.  Just dodge/jump all the way to the entrance on the side, while shining enemies whenever necessary, then drop a flare near it when you make it inside and kill anything that enters while camping near it.  Just don't pick it up until after everything is dead.  Use the flash text at the other end too for added offensive.  Take out the poltergeist at the end closest to the GPS point and book it jumping and dodging to the light. Makes the boss a joke. 

I wish I'd noticed the fourth one though, nearly biffed the run on my first attempt because I skipped the third one, then didn't use my flares on the boat right away to keep the birds off me. Also forgot I had a flashbang lol.

EDIT: The Writer is done 100%.  Overall I didn't think it was any more difficult than The Signal, but it was less stressful for me.  The platforming really wasn't all that bad either.  Just take the jumps slow and don't run unless you absolutely have to. 

Did the no deaths run on my second run and never had to restart it.  First run I concentrated on collectables and missable misc trophies.  Didn't die after the collectable on the roof of the rotating cabin either.

Glad that's over.  Now I can actually play Alan Wake II, once I can afford it.

Edited by Snake2410

3 hours ago, TheSalemCrow said:

On my 4th attempt on The Signel I completed it without dying or restarting but I didn't get the trophy, there's absolutely no way I'm doing it again and I will never get the 100%

PS5 version? Did you skip the final cutscenes and song at the end?  I've heard that can sometimes cause issues with it popping.  Either way I'm sure I'd have felt the same if it had gone that bad for me. 

I still don't know how I managed to do it on my first try (besides the fact I followed along with a video of it).  It was way more stressful than it needed to be.  

That said, after knowing the tough unavoidable encounters enough to be prepped for them it really wasn't THAT bad.  My third run for the two collectables I missed I never got below half health in the run.  But the stress was also for less because I'd already did it once.

31 minutes ago, Snake2410 said:

PS5 version? Did you skip the final cutscenes and song at the end?  I've heard that can sometimes cause issues with it popping.  Either way I'm sure I'd have felt the same if it had gone that bad for me. 

I still don't know how I managed to do it on my first try (besides the fact I followed along with a video of it).  It was way more stressful than it needed to be.  

That said, after knowing the tough unavoidable encounters enough to be prepped for them it really wasn't THAT bad.  My third run for the two collectables I missed I never got below half health in the run.  But the stress was also for less because I'd already did it once.

I gave it one more try an aced it, this time I made sure not to skip the last cutscene and also I never paused the game once during the run and it seemed to work then

• Like 2

I had a brilliant time with Alan Wake. I wasn’t going for the platinum but I’m sure if I decide to, it’ll change my mind and relationship with Alan Wake.. 

Looking forward to eventually playing AW2 but that won’t be a little while yet. Maybe Halloween 2024!