Lag

yowzagabowza

It's been a long time since I've played a game with this much input lag. I fell in the first hole of the game several times because I would hit the Roll button as I was walking towards it and the reaction was so slow.

Everything just seems laggy and janky in general. Thankfully I didn't get any trophies yet, but I did spend like fifteen bucks on it. 

Anyone else have these issues? Or is it likely because I'm playing on a Launch PS4?

1 hour ago, yowzagabowza said:

I would hit the Roll button as I was walking towards it and the reaction was so slow

There is no input lag. Roll works a bit different than in "other" games. You have to actually press it like 1-2 steps before the gap to activate it properly.

That's the game mechanics... It is like in original "Prince of Persia" when you wanted to jump you had to press the button one "plank" before ;).

Or was it half step...

Edited by Smashero
Typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yowzagabowza said:

Everything just seems laggy and janky in general.

38 minutes ago, Smashero said:

There is no input lag. That's the game mechanics.

There were some questionable gameplay design choices and unfortunately the sluggish controls are deliberate. You really do need to be aware of the limitations of the roll feature and adjust your actions accordingly ahead of time. There's some jank in the twin-stick aiming and equipment swapping also, but if you can overlook these shortcomings, the rest of the game is very pleasant (except for the unnecessary haze on the graphics).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Helyx said:

There were some questionable gameplay design choices and unfortunately the sluggish controls are deliberate. You really do need to be aware of the limitations of the roll feature and adjust your actions accordingly ahead of time. There's some jank in the twin-stick aiming and equipment swapping also, but if you can overlook these shortcomings, the rest of the game is very pleasant (except for the unnecessary haze on the graphics).

Huh. This is both unfortunate and reassuring, in a weird way. Reassuring that it's not my system but unfortunate that the game itself is designed like this. I guess I should expect "sluggish" controls, after all. ?

The haze is very off-putting as well. Looks awful and just makes shit hard to see.

I may end up having to play this on an alt account so I don't drive myself crazy pushing through the game if it turns out the controls are too bad for me.

1 hour ago, Smashero said:

There is no input lag. Roll works a bit different than in "other" games. You have to actually press it like 1-2 steps before the gap to activate it properly.

That's the game mechanics... It is like in original "Prince of Persia" when you wanted to jump you had to press the button one "plank" before ;).

Or was it half step...

It seems like there is lag, it's just done on purpose? I mean, when I hit a button, I expect something to happen WHEN I hit the button, y'know? 

1 minute ago, yowzagabowza said:

The haze is very off-putting as well. Looks awful and just makes shit hard to see.

It's true, there's several glaring design issues with the game. If you can get past the poor controls and visual filters, you can probably enjoy this over-priced, half-baked, story-driven, slightly-better-than-average snail adventure.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 06/01/2022 at 6:26 PM, MrTacoNinja said:

Hey bud. Question: where do I find the demo?

It's in the Demo tab on the left-hand side of the screen. I can't give precise directions because I'm not at my PS4 right now and I hardly ever go in that section of the store so my memory is a little rusty.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.

• 3 months later...

So I just got back around to this game and now I'm playing on a PS5 (still the PS4 version of the game) and I don't know if there was an update but the haze is drastically reduced and the lag I felt when rolling is gone. 

The game feels totally fine to play now. Now it's just a matter of not missing any seeds or other trophies!