Trophy thoughts

FocusDR

• 1 month later...

This was too hard for me in the end. I finished 5/6 chapters and had a lot of fun up until I unlocked everything and reached the final chapter. It just becomes too hectic with insane amounts of bullets and also things blocking your view. I'm also not a fan of roguelike structures where you have permadeath and have to play long stretches of easy gameplay to get to where you died. After being forced to replay chapters 1-5 a dozen times to get to chapter 6 it had gotten old sadly. 

It would have been a great game if it had a casual mode or even more upgrades to make things easier but it stopped being fun when I had upgraded everything and kept being forced to replay the early chapters. 

I'm not sure if it was a good of me to unlock absolutely everything since some of those upgrades are really useless and you don't want them to appear. Maybe I will delete my save one day, replay the game and only purchase the good upgrades if possible because I did have a great time with the game. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What I'll say about trophies is that the trophies are fair. This game is likely lower budget, so I don't think the devs could add all the ones that they would've wanted. For instance, you can earn enough currency to collect all 25 out of 25 power-ups, but you don't get a trophy. The charms aren't numbered in the same way, but if you purchase them all there's no trophy. I'm not sure that there were any secrets to find. However, the trophies that you can earn are probably the same ones I would've chosen, too, if I were one of the dev team.

The trophies are for level completion (of which the immediate Intro. level completion gives players some enticement to keep going) and for beating the game five different and progressively more difficult ways (i.e., trophies for each new Bladewing/firepower-style, from beginner to intermediate to advanced). You can 100% the game, but there's no platinum. I get it. Personally, I like platinum trophies, but I was in it for the challenge of trying a new style of game I'd never played before and to master it. I also liked the developer, ARVORE, which made the Pixel Ripped games.

As to how long it took me to 100% the game, I'd estimate about 7 hours. After I beat the game with one set of Bladewings, I could do a full run on my first try with each of the other four sets at about half-an-hour per full playthrough. If you're like me rather than someone talented who can pick up Yuki and beat the game on your first try, by the time you're good enough to beat the game, you will only get better at beating it no matter which style you use. You'll have the skills at that point. It was the buildup of multiple runs to earn all the power-ups and charms, and to master evasion and figure out boss patterns, that took most of my time. That's why this game is called a roguelike - you progressively improve and earn currency to purchase helpful power-ups or charms with each new run. So, I'd say about 4 hours for me to "git gud" and earn all the power-ups and charms, and 3 hours for me to go on each of the game-beating runs.

Regarding what I'm like as a gamer, I'm a shmup (shoot-em up) noob (haven't played Gradius or Lifeforce since the NES gen, and I barely played those games anyway) and probably an average gamer who does beat all his games. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I didn't beat this game and get all the trophies because I'm gifted. No. I did it because I was determined. If you're determined, I believe you can learn to improve and eventually prevail, too. Check out my other thread for some tips to guide you.

Edited by fullthrottlenine
  • Like 2