Temporary removal of METAL GEAR SOLID 2 and METAL GEAR SOLID 3 from digital stores

31 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Even historical archive footage is now a timed licence?!

How is this even a thing..

The footage is owned by the studio that shot it. Check the credits of movies and games you play that use it and you'll see the credit for the source of the footage

Edited by majob
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, majob said:

The footage is owned by the studio that shot it. Check the credits of movies and games you play that use it and you'll see the credit for the source of the footage

It's the same footage from the 2001 release though isn't it? Just seems such a weird reason to delist a game, a licence expiring from using 20 year footage which presumably was footage of even older footage..

Can you imagine of these games were digital only? Digital only games are on sale, until suddenly they are potentially gone forever.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

It's the same footage from the 2001 release though isn't it? Just seems such a weird reason to delist a game, a licence expiring from using 20 year footage which presumably was footage of even older footage..

If it's owned by someone, then there will be a licence agreement for the usage. Doesn't matter how old it is, unless it's fallen into the public domain. There is pretty much always a time limit for being able to licence things from an owner, it's almost never unlimited.

27 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Can you imagine of these games were digital only? Digital only games are on sale, until suddenly they are potentially gone forever.

It's already happened multiple times. Legend Of Korra for the PS3 & PS4, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 for the PS4, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows for PS3, Plants vs. Zombies for the Vita. The list goes on.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

It's not a strange reason at all because if Konami continued to sell the game without the license they would face a lawsuit from the studio. At the very least Konami is seeking to renew their license instead of simply delisting the game like many other companies do.

36 minutes ago, majob said:

It's not a strange reason at all because if Konami continued to sell the game without the license they would face a lawsuit from the studio. At the very least Konami is seeking to renew their license instead of simply delisting the game like many other companies do.

Honestly shocked they didnt just remove them and then tell people...

I could be wrong but NASA allows people to use footage with credit to them.. i wonder if mgs3 uses any

Edited by liquid_ocelot22

• 5 months later...

I may be wrong (I hope), but they will never be back. Why Konami would care about these 11 years old games (HD version) on a dying digital store and dying console? Imagine just 2 seconds being the guy at Konami responsible for game licenses. Do you really think that MGS is on top of his to-do list? Come on...

• Like 1

I agree, they could still potentially return to that new plus premium service but as far as returning to regular sale on ps3/vita. Yeah, the delisting is pretty much permanent at this point as sony pretty much stopped submissions for those platforms as relisting them would probably be more complicated then just porting to current platforms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgm4789 said:

I agree, they could still potentially return to that new plus premium service but as far as returning to regular sale on ps3/vita. Yeah, the delisting is pretty much permanent at this point as sony pretty much stopped submissions for those platforms as relisting them would probably be more complicated then just porting to current platforms.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe developers aren’t allowed to add new games OR relist old games on the PS3/Vita store at all at this point.

I know of a case where an indie dev got a game removed because of a issue with their publisher, and wanted to get it back up on the PS3 store at some point, but never did (this was before the shut-down announcement that got called off). And that game was digital only.

Edited by TimeLordCrow13y

• 2 weeks later...

So it probably seems these games will never come back on the playstation Store due to the many reasons discussed above, and i hate that i do not have digital copies of MGS 1-4. My only hope and i am sure most of you would want the same is for a MGS 1 - 4 Remaster for PS4/PS5, especially MGS 3 Snake Eater as that is my absolute favourite from the whole series. 

I am quite surprised as there are no sound rumours regarding the remaster because if "Good Guy" EA ( ahem ahem ) can muster the courage to remaster the Mass Effect Trilogy, Konami know for sure releasing MGS 1- 4 Remaster would sell very well! I know there are licensing issues and a super tight secret deal with Sony for MGS4 ( as it only released on the PS3 ) but there must be a way for them to work this out! Eagerly waiting for a remaster 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Delisted Metal Gear Solid Games Are Coming Back to Digital Stores

For the 35th anniversary of the Metal Gear franchise, Konami took to Twitter to confirm that it is working to get delisted versions of the Metal Gear games back on digital stores. It's likely this is in reference to Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 despite the fact these titles weren't explicitly mentioned. The licensing issue has revolved around historical footage used in the games and it seems that Konami has ironed all of that out. When these games get re-listed, players should be able to purchase and play the aforementioned Metal Gear Solid games on platforms like Xbox Series X|S via the Xbox 360 backward compatibility. It's unclear if this could open the door to some proper remasters or remakes, but it seems relatively unlikely.

https://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905/20220713022/

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/metal-gear-solid-2-3-mgs-games-delisted-digital-stores-relisted-xbox/

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ceridane said:

Is it possible that they bring MGS2, MGS3 and Peacewalker to the PS4/PS5 at some point? Like a 4K release or something?

Nobody knows. Pachinko rules.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
52 minutes ago, EndoManno said:

They've just announced the "master collection" including MGS 1 2 and 3.

But I didn't see the HD collection back on PS3/Vita. Is this their idea of "temporary removal"? 

I really doubt they'll be relisted these for PS3 and Vita sadly :( Physical copies of these will remain handy