What game do you regret paying full price for?

Winterkill-

Not a game, but an add on for a game. The versus mode unlock for RE5, paid £3.99 for that and then barely played the multiplayer of it, even with being a massive RE fan. Lame purchase supporting a poor initiative from Capcom. Never did that again. Thankfully they stopped doing that, for RE games at least. 

I have bought games that are on sale but still for a reasonable price which haven't lived up to expectations.....Hand of Fate being one of those. 

Much better nowadays at waiting for a physical or digital game to go on sale and get it at the price I can justify it for, even if it's a game I really want.

• Like 1

I have some still sealed PS3 games that I bought full price and will never play. TLOU, Resistance 3 and Darksiders II. I guess I may play Resistance, but not the other 2.

I haven't bought many PS4 or 5 games new or for full price. My backlog is now so long and I have learned that it's best to wait for all the DLC and at least a few months of patches before starting a game.

Very few AAA games now deliver a complete and optimally functioning experience day 1.

• Like 2

In terms of PlayStation, I almost never buy games at full price, as I usually either wait for a sale digitally or grab a physical copy for cheap at GameStop or Amazon. IIRC the last PS game I did buy full price was the Mass Effect Legendary Trilogy.

In terms of other consoles, however, I have a lot of regrets this generation with the Switch. Don't get me wrong, the console's got a lot of great exclusives, but I bought Arms, Mario Tennis Aces, Pokémon Sword, Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons all for full price and I really wish I didn't. They were all either lacking in meaningful content to keep me playing (looking at you, New Horizons and Mario Tennis) or severely unpolished (as the fiasco surrounding the recent Pokémon games has brought up). I sold the Pokémon games, but I bought everything else digitally so I'm just forced to suck it up and keep them. 

Borderlands 3 was my big regret purchase in recent years. I mean, the game is alright if you like the series, but I went for the digital edition that was $100+ with two Season Passes and some Golden Items... Coulda waited a few months and gotten the whole thing for like 1/4 of that price. Learned my lesson hopefully.

[EDIT: Runner Up is Hot Wheels Unleashed. I just wanted an arcade racing game and didn't put much research into it. Got the extended digital edition and realized it wasn't going to come with anything extra for several months until the next set of big patches...]

Edited by tranquility101
Added Hot Wheels
  • Like 2

Tales From The Borderlands (Digital) it came back on the store managed by 2K Studios.. but the trophy list was correlated to the disc version which I already completed. £16.99 if I remember correctly, still played it again. Big disappointment though felt robbed 

I have a list here with all of my poor choice purchases at full price:

• Assassin's Creed Valhalla - I always buy Ubisoft games at a discount. I don't know why I decided to buy this one at a full price. It started strong then it just turned into a disappointment. Poor wallet...
  • Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1+2 : I bought the first one at a slight discount however I paid full price for the DLC AND bought the part 2 digitally full price. Given how much annoyance the first game was...yeah. Won't even play the second game. Oh well...
  • Catherine - this one I bought full price because I heard it was a masterpiece that should be played no matter what, back in 2017. To this day I wonder what was in my head.
  • Dante's Inferno - The only game that I don't regret as much as the other games on the list...but I should have bought it at a discount. Full price wasn't worth it imo.

Other than that, whatever garbage I bought it was always at a huge discount.

• Like 2

The most recent one was probably the Persona Dancing Collection on PS4. The art book was absolute garbage, and the games, while decent, were nothing to write home about. I should have waited for the impending discount.

8 minutes ago, FocusDR said:

Tales From The Borderlands (Digital) it came back on the store managed by 2K Studios.. but the trophy list was correlated to the disc version which I already completed. £16.99 if I remember correctly, still played it again. Big disappointment though felt robbed 

Oh yeah, I remember that bullshit.

Edited by starcrunch061

Tomb Raider: Legend. £29.99 for a short, shallow experience that had none of the atmosphere or scares of the earlier titles. Admittedly, I have fairly fond memories of the game 15 years later, but at the time it had the unusual effect of turning me into a fanatical defender of Tomb Raider 1-6.

Still am, too.

Easy pick: Resident Evil Village

I am aware that the general consensus sees a decent game in it but for me it was one of the worst gaming experiences I had in years. I am all for changes and generally evolving systems if they improve a game series and I genuinely liked RE7 so much that I gave 8 the benefit of the doubt and preordered it full price.

This is my own shitty opinion and its more than fine people seem to like Village but I found it horrible beyond belief. The story was badly written and riddled with plot-holes, the characters shallow, the pacing subpar and the dialogues even for resident evil standards (and I am really not asking for much) cringeworthy. They could have called the game Village scrapping the Resident Evil name completely and nobody would have noticed and I truly think this would have done the game a great service. 

Sure the controls are fine and the graphics/atmosphere decent but that should be a minimum requirement for a multimillion dollar budget game. All the rest is frankensteined together like the surprise dish on a restaurant menu. Worst 70€ investment in years.

• Like 1

It’s a toss up between WWE 2K15 and Agony. Two craptastic games I was excited for back then. I’ve gotten only a couple trophies in each and haven’t played them in years. With WWE I was excited for a “next gen” wrestling game, having not bought a wrestling game in many years. It was not a good game and I should of waited until 2K18 or 19.

For Agony, I saw the Kickstarter and liked the premise of fighting out literal Hell. It looked pretty wicked. Then getting it launch it was the first game I streamed. Hoo boy, that first version was rough. I struggled and pushed through for a couple hours and finally called it quits. They made quality of life updates since but I haven’t played it. The PC unrated version is better anyway. I still own both games as I’m collector and I may try to get a few more trophies in each one day.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Ghost of Tsushima, I'm afraid.

Bought digitally at full price, but found the camera to be a real problem for me - always favouring the right side, and drifting away from the action, so ended up quitting after an hour or so. That was money well spent! 1f602.png:facepalm:

I'm convinced, from other people's confirmations and acclaim, that there is a good game in there - if only I could have gotten the camera to point at it! 1f604.png

That's a real shame. Never heard of this issue before. Especially after buying it digitally for full price, it would be a shame if you didn't go back to it and try again. Never played it myself but heard great things.

• Like 1