What game do you regret paying full price for?

Winterkill-

1 hour ago, guccimental said:

Deathloop. Horribly boring, soulless game IMO. Gave it 5 hours and sold it the day after I bought it. This was the only time I have done this.

Yeah, I didn't find it live up to the hype at all. It was decent, like a 6 or 7 out of 10. 

But shit, where do I start. There's probably been a lot of them. Almost every Call of Duty game I ever bought after Modern Warfare. Anyone remember Haze? I think it was called. That game showed so much promise and I honestly wish they would make a new one but do it well. I'm like quite a few others here. I rarely by a game new now. The sales on the PS Store are just so nice. I get so many games for a fraction of their release price. It's a beautiful thing. And, my back catalogue is so huge, I have lots of time to wait for the sales. 

I wanted to play Borderlands 3, but damn, I didn't realize people not feeling it like that. Still will probably give it a whirl though.

Thief.

I was a huge fan of the original games on the PC, so I was so looking forward to the PS4 release. It was just garbage. Stupid plotline, unlikeable characters, highly linear levels, and loading screens they tried to disguise as button-mashing QTEs. 

• Like 1

Dragon Age 2 on the Xbox 360. One of the few games that I preordered. Average RPG, bad Dragon Age Origins sequel.

My Friend Peppa Pig. I bought the game recently as a birthday present for my nephew so it´s not that bad, but to pay 40 € for this "game" doesn´t felt right.

Sword Art Online Hollow Realization. I liked the series and bought it on release day. I think I played through the tutorial but than something new grabbed my attention and now it sits in my ever growing backlog.

I'm normally a "wait for a sale" kinda guy but I bought into the near decade of hype and picked up Cyberpunk on release day. Loaded it maybe four times on my old PS4 and half of those were because of it crashing, so I decided to put it off until I got a PS5 to play it on. I have had a PS5 since February but have yet to go back to Cyberpunk 11 months later.

Edited by rebelkiller93

There are four games for which I have given a full price and they are:
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
- Crash Team Racing
- Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy
I bought them right away because I couldn't wait to go back years when I was a kid playing these amazing Ps1 games.
For Crash 4 I can say that it is better even than the old classics and for me it is the best platformer.
I do not regret any of the listed games!

I buy the other games at at least 50% promotion.
In the end, I will only say that I would give the full price maybe if they make a remaster of Dune 2000.

There's only a few I regret paying full price for. The first being Past Cure. I thought it looked interesting before it came out, and I have a bad tendency to want to buy indie horror games at full price to support the developers. This definitely isn't a good one. I think it was $40 for the physical edition, this game is maybe worth $5 at most.

The second being one I just finished recently: Allison's Diary Rebirth. It was only $10, but oh my God, please don't buy this full price. $2-$3 maybe. It's barely an hour long and the check point system is atrocious with one hit kill enemies. Easy platinum or not, save yourself the headache.

The last one is Agony. I actually mistook this for another game which is why I bought it day one. There was another hell based game that had a demo going around at the time where you used bones as ammunition and the world was made of flesh in a gigeresque style, I think. (If anyone knows which game I'm talking about, I'd love to know the name again. It's been a long time since I saw it mentioned online.) I thought this was it. It definitely wasn't. I don't think this game is as horrible as people make it out to be, but I wish I'd have gotten it on sale instead.

Edited by Monochrome

The most recent SNK Heroines game. As a fighter, it gets boring quick and feels unfinished. For the trophies, it becomes a really dull grind. And the fanservice is the type I hate; the humiliation fetish.

I'l always give DOA this, their ladies flaunt what they have with pride; the ones here don't. Ain't nothing sexy to me about girls obviously NOT having a good time and saying nothing but variations of "I hate that this is happening to me! Why would they do this?!" And I said on my plat post, it's eyerolling a game would be unabashed with its costumes and still chastise the player for even considering enjoying them.

9 minutes ago, Monochrome said:

There was another hell based game that had a demo going around at the time where you used bones as ammunition and the world was made of flesh in a gigeresque style, I think. (If anyone knows which game I'm talking about, I'd love to know the name again. It's been a long time since I saw it mentioned online.)

You could be thinking of Scorn:

• Like 1

I regret buying Outriders full price earlier this year. I had originally bought this game to play with a couple of friends, but the servers for this game when it first came out were terrible. Kept dropping connections, matchmaking would straight up not work, World Tier system was not explained well in game and I didn't even know it existed till I was like 10-15 hours into the game, and the end game content was lackluster at best. That's what I get for buying a looter shooter though, I've learned my lesson and never again. 

I hardly ever regret purchases - full price or not.

I generally know what I like/what interests me. I'm also never afraid to step out of my comfort zone to try a new game outside of what I usually play. If it turns out to not be for me - I don't regret it, I just move on.

That said - that will was tempered by past mistakes. I did say "hardly ever", after all.

There are only 3 real purchases I've made in my life that I genuinely regret. All 3 are fairly (in)famous.

--

Shaq Fu on the SNES, Superman on the N64, and the Virtual Boy. Shaq Fu & Superman were still around the time when cartridges could be $100USD+ a pop (They were both about $80). The Virtual Boy was a $180, headache-inducing paperweight that wasn't even portable.

The internet wasn't exactly a super common household thing at the time - so unless you had a subscription to something like EGM or GameInformer or some other magazine, you weren't really able to see reviews. Even if you did have internet access - gaming sites were still in their infancy and mostly just focused on codes more than actual reviews.

It's hard to be disappointed in a game after you've spent summers working to save up only to buy some of the absolute worst things ever made. It also helps - a lot - when you understand that just because something doesn't gel with you, doesn't make it "bad". When you can parse that, it's easier to not feel like you wasted money and instead just use it as a learning experience.

Dropship: United Peace Force 

This is an old PS2 game that released sometime around 2002. I was only around 12 at the time, and I remember I had some money saved up so I was looking to buy a new game. To this day I don't know why I chose this particular game, but I still regret it even now. It was a decent enough game, but it just wasn't for me, and it was hard as nails so I never even progressed that far into it. I kept trying and trying but I never got further than about the halfway point of the game. We still used the Irish Pound at the time as the Euro was just about to come in, and I remember paying just shy of £70 for it, which today would be around €90-95 which is kinda nuts looking back at it now.

I bought GTA V for PS4 thinking it would be cool to play through the game again with the new first person camera, it ended up sitting on my shelf for a couple of years before I ended up just selling it still sealed, wasn't actually much of a regret though as the game retained its value so well that I barely made a loss on it