Badly designed boss fights

You

Now as much as I love the Yakuza games, the hidden Amon boss fights seem to be getting ridiculous in recent releases. In Yakuza 3, 4, 5 and Dead Souls, the fights were hard, challenging, but most importantly they were fair and also fun.

In this game however, Amon has a giant cannon, with infinite bullets, and explosions, that only hurt you and he is immune to the splash damage.

You go to the effort of learning so many skills throughout the game, also earning others abilities from all the masters that are in the game who train you.

4 fighting styles and most of them be a bit useless, I've spent about 3 billion yen (amusingly this number is accurate and not an exaggeration ) levelling them all up to full....to then just have a cheap boss with uncounterable/unblockable stun explosions and 1 hit kill lazer beam. Yeah sure, the 1 hit lazer beam you can see a mile off, but if you happen to get hit by a random explosion that stuns you, well, you're just a sitting duck.

At first you can throw Amon, which is actually really effective, until suddenly you can no longer do any throws at all, or else just eat a reverse throw 100% of the time. You use Rush fighting style since you can dodge well, but once he gets his glow on, he doesn't flinch so none of your fighting styles have any effect, he also annoyingly fires rockets that bounce behind him or on top of his head which will hurt you but not him.

If he's stood alongside a wall he sometimes won't move away from it and that makes him impossible to hit because many of his shots that he fires behind him will explode on the wall going up instead of when they land, giving you no time to see them before the splash damage immediately knocks you on the floor.

Anyway, so after multiple attempts of dying within 5 minutes or 5 seconds since it's quite random when you will insta-die, the game drops me down to easy, and still I got repeatedly 1 shotted.

After some more failures, I reloaded my save and this time brought with me15 stun shotguns (yes you can literally carry that many into 1 fight) and just ran up close to him at all times and repeatedly blasted him in the face without any care or worry about my own life just to see how effective going all out was.

But then he went down easily, only needed about 2-3 shotguns....

After he becomes immune to taking hits and won't fall down, you can easily just pump him full of bullets and he'll mostly stand there and take huge damage before knocking you over and then you can quickly getup and try to do the same. Just used the shotgun and didn't throw a single punch..

I've finished both fights now, but considering how difficult they were, and then suddenly how easy they were. I feel a bit disappointed about it, as if I just glitched the game. There's no special heat actions for these bosses either, which seems such a shame.

On the other hand, Majima's fight was a lot fairer, however I sadly discovered that if you are backed up to the door gate and blocking, blocking all the attacks fills up your gauge which allows you to immediately heat action and stab his hand into the door area, once he has finished attacking. Then as it's quite tricky to get any distance from him, you just block again, rinse and repeat, before I knew it, boss was dead. Didn't even need to do the knife counter stuff that the guide mentions.

Yakuza 6 also had an annoying Amon fight, because of random drones flying around you which were very difficult to predict, pray to god you didn't get a stun drone hit you and then 3 seconds later an exploding drone which kills you in 1 hit. (Since when you are stunned you can't bring up your menu to heal, just like in Yakuza 0)

In that game the game eventually drops you to easy and you basically just button bash and try to kill Amon as fast as you can before too many drones spawn.

Edited by enaysoft

• 2 months later...

Kiryu's Amon fight was the dumbest fight yet. I think the game was hinting you towards using weapons. I had trouble with the first phase, then bought a zap gun and it felt like I cheesed through the fight. The the second phase which forces you to get the invincibility item in order to fight normally was also annoying af. I ended up using zap guns on him whenever there was an opening in this phase too and finished the fight. I wish they had made the weapons part of the game as goofy and ridiculous as the fist fighting. Using weapons just feels unsatisfying and cheesy.

Majima's one was a bit better but not much. The amount of damage Amon does is ridiculous. There was such little margin of error that I ended up cheesing that fight too. I was on hard difficulty, so maybe it a bit more balanced on lower difficulties.

3 hours ago, boorish_brute said:

Kiryu's Amon fight was the dumbest fight yet. I think the game was hinting you towards using weapons. I had trouble with the first phase, then bought a zap gun and it felt like I cheesed through the fight. The the second phase which forces you to get the invincibility item in order to fight normally was also annoying af. I ended up using zap guns on him whenever there was an opening in this phase too and finished the fight. I wish they had made the weapons part of the game as goofy and ridiculous as the fist fighting. Using weapons just feels unsatisfying and cheesy.

Majima's one was a bit better but not much. The amount of damage Amon does is ridiculous. There was such little margin of error that I ended up cheesing that fight too. I was on hard difficulty, so maybe it a bit more balanced on lower difficulties.

Both Yakuza 0 and 6 Amon fights are badly designed, once you get stun locked you can't move, or even bring up your menu to heal.

Up till the now the Amon fights have been tough, but fun and fair.

Also what's up with Amon having a laser cannon in this game, I thought we were in the 80s, not the 2080s?

I never used weapons in any Yakuza game up till now, and in Yakuza 6 I just put the difficulty setting to Easy. I didn't really get much satisfaction out of the Amon fights in these 2 games.

I don't think the combat part in these games is canonical lol. If it were Kiryu has already killed at least 50 people in the each of the car chase scenes. So the canon part is just the game being outrageously goofy and having fun with it. It's like the game telling you what a cannon can do, bring your own.