Getting all chest in Omega ruins

Fingolfin-II

Look at post 6 of this topic for a solution / exploit without having to read my previous posts, while posting these previous posts i was not aware of the exploit. For this reason i also changed the topic title a bit

Hi There,

I have a specific question about the 12 chests in the Omega ruins. I have read simular questions all over the gamefora but not one has the answer i am looking for. I am aware about the fact that opening all 12 chests and the trouble it takes is probably not worth it, but for me it is. I dont care about the time it takes, i just have the get alle 12 chests. So i can appreciate the advice of letting this go but i am not going to take this solid and wise advice. Call me stupid or stuborn.

I am playing the Remastered version on the PS3 and i am using a safe file from inside the airship and have not visited the Omega ruins. The destination still has the "new" mark behind the location name on the airship.

I started in 2014 and quit playing after 600 unsuccesfull tries of opening the chest from a safe inside the ruins. I later learned that using a save file from inside the ruins could possibly locked me out of a perfect run but still leaving a whole bunch of different outcomes. So this time a am using another save file. 

I have already restarted and loaded this save for 750 times and yet still have to get the perfect run, 

I did screw up 1 time by opening not all chest in the same room Only opening the left one of the first room with three chest, and when i returned to open up the final 2 they were gone. Thats when i realised you cant wander off from 1 room before opening all chest in that room. So technically this could have been the perfect combination. 10 chest opened and 2 disapearred ?

I would realy like to know how the RNG is determined. I know the chance of not getting the 12 chest is 239 / 240, and a 100% guarentee is not possible.  But since my run is very unlucky i would like to understand the RNG. I believe there has to be a Variable that is used as the start, so this could be the hours played, or battles fought or whatever.

Is there anybody who knows for a fact what determines which chest contain a fight. 

PS i also noticed theories of opening the chests in rythem with the music or specific timing but i dont believe that this is the case and people who got it this way are just lucky enough to have the right RNG at that time.

Thanks in advance and i do apologise for any grammar mistakes, english is not my native language and school is at least 30 years ago so the memory is also a bit rusty

Edited by Fingolfin-II

I'm going to start by saying I have no answers for you, only questions. 

I've also been pursuing a 12 chest Omega ruins run on and off for a few years now, although i doubt I've done as many runs as either of you have. I'm playing the PS4 version, where's it's supposed to be safe to save in the ruins. But the vast majority of my runs end without me being able to clear a single room, despite the math saying it should happen fairly regularly.

Now while I don't necessarily like watching speedruns, I do like watching explanations of the technical tricks behind speedruns, so YouTube recently recommended me a video by DoctorSwellman describing considerable work done to decode the RNG behind FFX. Now, unless there's some particularly insane "100% + 12 OR chests" category that takes off soon I doubt speedrunners are going to care about getting all 12 Omega Ruins chests. But it stands to reason that one (or more) of the game's 68 random number variables must control the Omega Ruins chests. If we knew what variables they were, had a way of knowing what the values of the varies were, knew what the values had to be go get all 12 chests, and knew how to manipulate the variables to get the values we needed, then we could come up with a procedure to get 12 chests 100% of the time.

But that's a LOT of ifs, and a lot of work by very skilled and dedicated people to figure it all out. Until then, we're stuck loading up the game and hoping RNGesus smiles on our efforts.

@Ultraxian

Wow, That is a really unlucky streak, i do get a equal mix of results, i have at least had like 7 or 8 double digits runs . Almost feels like you locked in some really bad RNG.

I documented all my runs and the outcome is as expected based on the stats. Only the perfect one is missing. 

Edited by Fingolfin-II

I read an extensive post between some FFX fans on another forum. There have been guys documenting there runs and it seems the PS2 version is just the 1 in 240 chance but somehow for the PS3 remasterd version it seems the outcome is locked in by unknown factors. I am not sure what ca change these outcomes but the RNG for the ps3 version seems to lock in a specific number of sets like 60 out of 240. if the 12 chest is not among those 60 you are fckd and need to manipulate the RNG. 

Not sure what the PS4 and the Vita versions are like. I bought copies of these but they are not yet in my possesion. 

Hope someone  can shine a light on these because its frustrating to watch these cutscenes over and over again ( where the hell is Kimahri anyway )

The PS4 version arrived today and i was able to get the 99 warp spheres the first try.

1 upload your ps3 save before entering omega ruins with the data transfer function to the cloud. Did not test it with other saves.

2 instal your FFX ps4 copy on the PS4 ( need to be the disc ) 

3 instal the update / patch

4 load up your save from the data transfer and make a new safe on your ps4 system. 

5 remove the gamedata from your ps4 system, but leave your new savefile on the system

6 disconnect ps4 from internet and re-install the game. because of the offline status the update wont be downloaded / installed. The update fixes this exploit and we dont want that :-)

7 start up game load your save file and land in the ruins, watch the cutscene and open your 12 chests. 

8 save game and done.

I am assuming that if you play the PS4 version from the start this also is possible, just start with step 5 and use you ps4 save file from before Omega ruins.

I did not test it because i have no "original" save file for the PS4, online the file fromthe PS3 data transfer

This is an exploit that was not found by me, i just put the scattered information that i found in other topics and youtube comments together and made a post about it. 

So if you just need the 99 warp spheres,  this a a much faster way then reloading you ps3 save over and over again. I did like 1500 reloads and was done with the old fashioned way.  

Hope this helps 

Edited by Fingolfin-II
  • Like 1

TLDR: Fingolfin-II has it figured out, we can all go home.

Once I read Fingolfin-II's post this afternoon I started searching around, and apparently this FFX PS4 RNG exploit has been known for years now. Good to know I'm super late to the party. Once I got home form work I loaded up my Omega Ruins save and went on a chest run. First chest was trapped and I was forced into a fight. So I followed the instructions to disconnect from the Internet, eject the disk, delete the game, and re-insert the disk. This deletes the latest patch gives you a 1.00 version of the game. I then loaded up my Omega Ruins save and went on another chest run. The result was a flawless, 12 chest run. 

How does this work? Well, I'm piecing this together from scraps gathered from other posts I've read, so I might be wrong. But it looks like in the unpatched, PS4 version of FFX the RNG seeds are set the same every time a new game is started or a save file is loaded. This means that if you take the same sequence of actions, you will always get the same results. Same enemy encounters, same item drops, same damage numbers, everything. Critically, for this thread, the RNG is set so that you can open all 12 chests in the Omega Ruins.

So congrats to Fingolfin-II for persevering and putting together an answer to his own question for all of us, and thanks to whichever programmer not only didn't properly initialize the PS4 FFX RNG seeds, but also set them to make a perfect Omega Ruins chest run possible without any further setup. Theoretically, this might make some of the trophies easier as well (like what if you could reload the game and get the exact same pattern in the Calm Lands chocobo race every time), but personally I think Omega Ruins is the standout winner here.