PlayStation 5 First Year Anniversary

TrophyChief

9 hours ago, MrTrofyHunter said:

Playstation 5's First Year Anniversary is coming up on November 12th for most markets while UK and rest of the world will quickly follow. What are your thoughts reflecting back over the first year? What were the highlights? What were the misses? What are you looking forward to in the years ahead?

Astro’s playroom was amazing, thoroughly enjoyed that. A new benchmark for Sony’s own game, I’d love another type of game like that to be honest. 
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart was very good too but in the future games of that quality should be longer. 
Spiderman + Miles Morales nothing groundbreaking imo but great games and I think the most platinums given out by a single game. 
Bugsnax on PS5 was a treat so I bought the PS4 version too lol waiting for new DLC 2022. 
Lastly Terminator Resistance PS5, not the best game admittedly but it’s my type of game and I loved it. Shame the trophies were bugged to begin with. 
Console wise I’ve cleaned it bi-monthly and now monthly since it started playing up more. It can get loud with the fans and coil, and I’ve had crashes where it’s had to rebuild the database and numerous game crashes. I was hoping to leave those type of problems behind with the last gen. if it wasn’t for shortage of new consoles I’d be sending mine back.. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed my PS5 over the last year despite not playing too many stand out PS5 titles and cant believe its been a year already.

If someone had have said though that i'd have been playing games 10-20yrs old on it in Skyrim/GTA Trilogy after the first year, I wouldnt have believed you and would have laughed thinking nah, that won't happen and yet here we are!

Looking forward to some big titles over the next 2-3yrs! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theSpirae said:

Atrocious battery life? I'm not sure about your controller, but I can do 6+ hours sessions easily and the low battery notification doesn't even pop up. That's plenty of gaming time in one go.

You are saying that with a straight face I'm sure lol I definitely do not get 6 hours lmao yeah I'm laughing but it is sad it doesn't have a longer battery charge.

I've been loving the PS5 and the dualsense. Granted, its just a bit of an upgrade from the PS4, its definitely not something you HAVE to have if you're already loving your PS4. For me personally I hated the feel of the PS4 controllers, so the best part of the PS5 for me has been the dualsense. 

My biggest complaints I guess are the lack of themes and community features, but thats been said plenty of times. 

Got mine from sony on an invite! I got 2 invites from them first time I had it in my cart and it crashed so I told support about this problem and the follow week I got another invite and got my PS5 on oct 1 

I would say at first I had to get use to the controller ... For me it took about 2 weeks! Its the best one on the market! 

for me nothing is bad just a awesome console! 

• Like 1

I still feel like I need to play more PS5 exclusives to really hammer home how I feel about it. Astro's Playroom and R&C: Rift Apart are the only PS5 ONLY games I've played since I got it in July. Both games were fantastic, especially Rift Apart which may have passed into my favorite game in the franchise (if not it's a very close number 2 to A Crack in Time). So with that it's mostly been like a PS4 Pro II...it certainly plays PS4 games better than the PS4 does lol. 

The DualSense is a great controller, but I already wish more devs would take full advantage of it. Haptics are an absolute game changer IMO, above anything else, every single dev needs to put focus on Haptics. The amount of immersion it adds when used right is insane. However, the battery life is terrible. They pack all this content into a controller and only put a 1500mAh battery in it. That's only 500mAh more than the DS4 and that controller already had terrible battery life too with less robust hardware. The battery life of the DS4 was a massive complaint for that controller since 2013 and Sony made the same mistake again. They should have been striving for DS3 levels of battery life. I just got the Plat in X-Men Origins: Wolverine recently and only had to charge my controller once through the entire playthrough...DualSense I have to charge my controller almost every day. There was no reason they couldn't have put a 3000mAh battery in the controller, that's what most Smartphones use these days (higher end phones have 4000mAh)...they're inexpensive. 

I also don't like Sony boasting about selling 13.4 Million units when they know good and well most of those sales have gone to shit-heel scalpers. It's not really the same. 

Overall, I'm glad to have one. I never thought I'd have a PS5 this soon. I wasn't even planning on it until next year at some point, if even then. But with Stimulus Checks and a lot of luck I managed to snag one from Best Buy over the summer. It's a great machine, I love the SSD...I can never go back now lol. Here's hoping 2022 delivers on the gaming front and more people are able to get them. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

I didn't get one until March of this year but I am very glad I have one and no longer have to search! Yes, my previous-generation backlogs are huge but I am still happy that I have a PlayStation 5! Just watch and see when the PlayStation 6 launches at how everyone spouts how "so much better" the PS5 was!

i love the ps5 but i give it a B. Reason being a few features that were hyped up that personally i dont use. Others may and thats great, not me. The card system. Where you can look up hints, yeah... no. I can find and search quicker on my phone on youtube. 

Game wise its been great for me. However i understand a lot of the ps5 games i own are also on ps4 or other platforms but it is nice to have 25 games with a nice white spine side by side.

Negatives....

Console wise: no themes, folders, customization options.... simple things that really should have been their day one. But seeing how when you hover over a game and you basically get a giant static image of said game, i don't expect themes to be a thing.

Out of Sony control: the price of SSDs is stupid. I have one but they still are not cheap. Global chip shortage. I will eventually get a 2nd ps5 but ill gamble through a scalper if they arent in stores by then. 

• Like 1

It really doesn't feel like it's been a year already... I don't know where time is going lately. With that said, I've had a fantastic time with my PS5 since getting it at launch. I really need to nitpick to find anything negative about it. I'll break it down into a simple pros/cons review.

Pros:

I'm going to group the following into one big pro; phenomenal hardware. The PS5 is whisper quiet, barely runs above lukewarm even under heavy load, it's just an absolute beast. It never breaks a sweat. People mocked the size, but everything Sony did is for a very good reason. The noise and heat issues with the PS4 are well documented, and they wanted to address that. They have done a fantastic job, to the point where I would say they over-engineered the system, which isn't a bad thing. Just fantastic all round.

DualSense: The greatest controller of all time. Yep, and I damn well mean it too. It makes the DualShocks that came before it seem like cheap toys with zero build quality. The haptics and adaptive triggers are genuine game changers, and in my opinion, are a legitimate factor to consider when reviewing and purchasing third-party games. They really do make that much of a difference when done right. I'm at the point with it now that I absolutely abhor going back to PS4 games where these features are missing. The comfort levels are insane, the build quality exceptional, and the battery life is absolutely fine. No complaints.

UI/UX: I love the UI. I love how clean and simple it is. I love the smoothness and fluidity of it. I love how every game and app has a unique background. I don't miss themes at all. I love how I don't need to enter the store and wait for things to load up anymore because it's baked in to the system now. There really isn't anything I'd change as of now. Overall, I think Sony did a fantastic job, and we're seeing big updates more frequently too. The PS5 is in a much better place after year 1 than the PS4 was, it isn't even close. The system is improving all the time and I'm excited to see what new features will get added in the near future.

Games: This might be controversial, but I believe that the PS5 had arguably the best launch lineup ever. Add to that the strong list of titles in the first year, and it's been a pretty great year for games. I personally kept mostly to my PS4 backlog, which I knew would be the case before I even bought my PS5, so I don't have any complaints about lack of games or exclusives. It's been a strong launch year in that regard, I don't think that can really be argued, especially if you compare it to year 1 of the PS4, or against the competition where exclusives were all but missing until recently. Regardless of any of that, the future is looking super bright, and I can't wait for the true exclusive heavy hitters coming in the next 2-3 years. 

Design: This is one of the less important and more subjective things, but the moment I saw the console unveiled, I was in love. I thought instantly that it was the most beautiful console I had ever seen, and a year later I still think the same. I think the design will age very well, and years from now it will be looked upon more favourably. It really looks like a piece of art. The size memes were overblown, I didn't mind the size a year ago and it still isn't an issue now. It's functional and aesthetically pleasing, the perfect blend. 

Cons:

UI/UX/Features: In terms of features, there's still things that need adding; folders being the most important. I'd also like the ability to permanently pin certain apps, such as the capture gallery. It's annoying when you haven't used something in a while and then need to head to the library to find it. Certain things should always be easily accessible from the home screen. Capture gallery, PS Plus tab, and PS Now tab among them. ALLM and VRR still need to be added, but from what I can gather, these are on the way at some point. I don't care for 1440p support myself, but I see no reason why this couldn't have been included for those who do. I'm sure these and more will definitely come, I just wish they were there at launch.

Services: Something that often gets overlooked in conversations such as this, despite being an evermore integral part of a console ecosystem. PS Plus begun the generation really strongly, with some fantastic monthly game lineups. That however has all but vanished of late. I get that the monthly games are always subjective, and even if brand new AAA games were dished out there would still be complaints from some, but I really don't think it's been up to par of late. PS Now is a whole other conversation, one too long to get into here. The monthly games are still inconsistent, and the service still has a lot of issues, however, it's value proposition is still quite reasonable. Sony are between a rock and a hard place with PS Now, and I frankly don't see much if any movement with the service for the medium to long-term future. 

Availability: As I have one, this doesn't really concern me, but it's still insane where we find ourselves. It's not anyone's particular fault, just a perfect storm of circumstances and issues that don't appear to be ending anytime soon. Contrary to what the internet echo chambers will have you believe, NO, the majority of new consoles have not gone to scalpers, and I find it crazy that anyone even believes that to begin with. It's been estimated that only around 10% of current gen systems have gone to scalpers, still a significant number, but not 13.4 million, and however many Series X/S consoles. It's simply an insane demand that can't be met at this moment in time due to the aforementioned perfect storm. You're fighting against other people who all want one just as badly, unfortunately. I've never seen a console launch like this, and I doubt I ever will again. All I can say is good luck and godspeed to all of you still searching! 

Edited by The Alchemist
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 4:36 PM, JAK-KRIEG said:

You are saying that with a straight face I'm sure lol I definitely do not get 6 hours lmao yeah I'm laughing but it is sad it doesn't have a longer battery charge.

Yes, I am. Tested it again yesterday playing BF1 for 5 hours straight, didn't get a "low battery" notification.

15 minutes ago, theSpirae said:

Yes, I am. Tested it again yesterday playing BF1 for 5 hours straight, didn't get a "low battery" notification.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that you're lying. I wish mine lasted more than 3 hours without saying battery low, that's all I'm gonna say.

Over the weekend I've tried remote play from PS5 to PS4 pro, the reason? To use my Astro C40 instead of the Dualsense. The process is as follows, turn on ps5 and wait for dashboard, turn on PS4 pro and choose remote play ps5. Start game and switch back to the PS5 screen, I spent all weekend playing COD vanguard PS5 with a ps4 made controller  and it works just fine. Not enough lag to worry about and I recommend this to anyone who plays competitive online but doesn't like the DS. Make sure your headset is plugged into the PS5 and the controller to the PS4. If you play on the ps4 screen the lag is hopeless, but switching back to PS5 screen I notice no lag. Until 3rd party support I'll be doing this.

I get it that Sony put a lot of time in the DS controller but being forced to use it on games that don't use it is just nonsense. I notice very few PS5's in the COD lobbies and probably due to this. Let's be honest, this controller will go the same way as the Kinect. 

Edited by Z1MZUM