Epic Chef - Any missables and estimated time to platinum?

Johambubger

• 5 months later...
On 11/13/2021 at 2:04 PM, BEARDLESSVlKlNG said:

This game looks pretty sweet from the trailer, very different. Anyone who is playing it got any estimates for how long it'll take to platinum, or know if any of the trophies are missable?

I know this is an old post, but I figured I would reply in case you were still wondering about this game(or for anyone else that may read this).

I started playing a few days ago, and I'm liking the game.  Was a little slow at first, but I'm enjoying it more now.  Nothing seems missable to me, because I assume you can just keep playing forever after finishing the story, but I can't confirm that yet.  Even if you can't you should be able to just make sure you do everything before finishing the last story quest.

Once I finish the game I'll post again/edit this post with confirmations.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DoctorBaofu said:

I know this is an old post, but I figured I would reply in case you were still wondering about this game(or for anyone else that may read this).

I started playing a few days ago, and I'm liking the game.  Was a little slow at first, but I'm enjoying it more now.  Nothing seems missable to me, because I assume you can just keep playing forever after finishing the story, but I can't confirm that yet.  Even if you can't you should be able to just make sure you do everything before finishing the last story quest.

Once I finish the game I'll post again/edit this post with confirmations.

Fantastic, thank you. Still have this on my radar. Would definitely be interested in hearing your thoughts once you've finished it.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 2:01 AM, DoctorBaofu said:

I just finished the game and got the platinum.  I really liked it.  As I mentioned it is a little slow at first, but once you get into the whole loop of farming/doing quests/story missions it's pretty good.  Also, getting a way to move faster helps a lot.   My biggest complaint, by far, is that you can only save at night once you go back to bed.  So, if you screw something up during the day, you either have to live with it or start the day over.  Aside from that the only thing I would say I really disliked is the fishing minigame.  It's not horrible, but it can get annoying/tedious.  Especially if you are trying to get one specific fish.  It's just random what fish you get.

After you finish the story it just loads you back at your farm and you can keep playing, like I assumed it would, so I don't see how anything could be missable.  I'm not sure on how long it took me.  My time played that shows on my PSN profile says 59 hours, but the in game time that shows on my save file says 22 hours.  I definitely feel like I played more that 22 hours. There was a good amount of losing cooking battles and reloading so I get my ingredients back, so I think that number is far less than it should be.  I don't think the 59 hours is exactly accurate either, because I left the game sitting while I was doing other things sometimes, plus I know I was far less efficient at the farming stuff than I could have been.  I'd guesstimate somewhere around 45-50 hours give or take a few hours.

I thought the story was pretty good too.  The writing has some good jokes and some pretty funny moments.  I'd say if the idea of a farming sim style game(nothing major, the farming is sorta basic and stuff regrows daily) combined with Iron Chef style cooking battles, that are sort of like puzzles, sounds interesting, then I'd say check it out at some point.

Great review. Just started the game yesterday and struggling to figure out the basics, or find anywhere online to teach me then. Any advice on how to get all customers in the restaurant, or how to figure out what ingredients to use for the trophy-based recipes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olivetheturtle said:

Great review. Just started the game yesterday and struggling to figure out the basics, or find anywhere online to teach me then. Any advice on how to get all customers in the restaurant, or how to figure out what ingredients to use for the trophy-based recipes?

There is a wiki that has a list of customers and a bunch of other stuff.  I used it to find some things:  https://epic-chef.fandom.com/wiki/Epic_Chef_Wiki

Trueachievements has some guides for individual achievements that helped me with some of the specific recipe trophies: https://www.trueachievements.com/game/Epic-Chef/achievements

There was also a couple of the cooking battles that stumped me, so I found videos on youtube of someone doing the same battle and just cooked whatever they cooked(or close to it).

Some advice for the cooking battles is to get the hang of how the aroma system works. Whether or not the judge tastes your dish first or your opponents can be a big deal sometimes.  A sauce I used a lot was the Caribara sauce because it was easy to make, and was really effective for a lot battles(specifically one or two round battles).  I don't remember exactly when you get access to that sauce, but I think it was fairly early.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the game. Took me 131 in-game days and 48 hours to complete, skipping all the cutscenes.

I struggled with some of the tournament battles, but Squeaking Lion on YouTube has hundreds of videos of gameplay and I just watched the relevant parts to see what ingredients he used.

The part that I underestimated was how important each of the livestock was. If I didn’t feed my cows, they didn’t make milk which is used to make pangun feed, and the panguns make eggs which are used for spider feed, and the spiders make silk which is used for gomora feed, etc. Long story short, keep up with your cows! 

Edited by olivetheturtle
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 9:25 AM, olivetheturtle said:

The part that I underestimated was how important each of the livestock was. If I didn’t feed my cows, they didn’t make milk which is used to make pangun feed, and the panguns make eggs which are used for spider feed, and the spiders make silk which is used for gomora feed, etc. Long story short, keep up with your cows! 

Yeah, that's the main part I was referring to when I said I wasn't as efficient with my farm as I could have been. I would only get a cow/pangun/whatever whenever I needed it.  Once I had however many eggs/milk/etc. I needed, I would kill it for the meat.  It led to me just doing nothing for a few days near the end while I was saving up certain materials.  Sorry I didn't elaborate on that more in my other post.