Removing the whole Trophy system from PSN

-SK

I don't think they will do it due to the sheer amount of time and effort players have put in, and the backlash that they would receive if they did. They also have the days of play of play as well. 

If they did, I would certainly change my gaming habits. I would buy any game i want without worrying about the trophy difficulty or platinum, I would just do the story and that's it, ignoring all the extra stuff and grinding etc. that trophies make you do. That's how I played nintendo games back in the 3ds days. Like if I got Persona 5 strikers on switch instead of PS4, there's certainly no way I would have bothered with most of the requests and also grinding for bond points on merciless, or even crafting personas and completing the compendium. Same with every other JRPG, I'd forget about the side quests and stuff. 

• Like 1

Very unlikely. Sony would receive backlash from trophy and achievement hunters and even occasionally some players who could care less about trophies. The most I could see is Sony trying to convert or overhaul trophies to something different with the launch of the PS6. 

Also keep in mind that a lot of cheap, quick, or EZPZ platinums/100% completetions are available on the PlayStation Store. Sony would easily lose a few million in revenue I think right away for these games and even others if they removed trophies. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, xWarchamp said:

Trophy hunters are a very, very small minority in the grand scheme of things though. The vast majority are not going to care since “casuals” (hate that term) make up most console gamers.

True. I based an amount of players (directed mainly for trophies) on the number of (the beast) users of websites such as psnprofiles.com or playstationtrophies.org, sometimes I forget that Sony sold 98 billion copies of their consoles.

I just assumed when they added trophies to the PS3, it was supposed to be part of the social aspect of gaming (i.e., you can see what other games people played). The PS4 furthered this by adding trophy accomplishments to the What's New feed.

If they did remove it, they would have to replace it with some social feature like "Hours Played". I have over 500 hours in Overwatch and think that would be cool to see. Also, God of War was the only game I know that shared a player's journey with the What's New feed.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 6:12 AM, pathtoninja said:

If they did remove it, they would have to replace it with some social feature like "Hours Played". I have over 500 hours in Overwatch and think that would be cool to see.

Actually you have a touch over over 1,000 hours.

https://www.exophase.com/psn/user/pathtoninja/

Not sure how they collect/calculate these numbers, but it may be enough to scratch the itch.

3 hours ago, pogo_loco said:

Actually you have a touch over over 1,000 hours.

https://www.exophase.com/psn/user/pathtoninja/

Not sure how they collect/calculate these numbers, but it may be enough to scratch the itch.

Exophase copies whatever the metadata tracked from the individual game says, not (currently) tracked time as listed by PSN/system. It's not perfect, though. Some games start internally tracking time only when in the actual game/match or from the moment the game is launched. Makes precise numbers difficult.

• Like 1

Trophy hunters are very much the minority, but getting rid of trophies doesn't really benefit sony at all, which is why it won't happen. For most people there wouldn't be a ton of negatives but there would be literally no positives since people who don't care about trophies can and do just ignore them.