How does this rate compared to other Crash games?

This is my last Crash game to Platinum (and purchase) as I have been waiting to snag a PS5. I have been lucky enough to grab one and I am going to buy this in December when I have 6 weeks holidays. I have the plat for all of the Crash games and will finally get the DLC TT trophy for Crash Bandicoot in the next month (lent to a friend who has finally returned it). 

I suppose my question is how does this compare in difficulty to the other crash games. How does it compare to CTR:NK that was rated at an 8? I know it's not platforming but there was still the TT element. Which one did you find the hardest? How much harder was Crash 4 than the others or why do you think the earlier Crash games were harder?

Edited by Gumby114

I hate it and I can't be bothered to finish it.

It's not really that it's difficult, it's more that practically every level has hidden crates that I definitely won't find on the first run without a guide.

So I need to use a guide while playing, which spoils the experience for me with any game. Then I need to remember where they all are and collect them all without dying, and then I need to collect them all a second time. It's just such a massive chore compared to the first three games, where the levels were short and none of the crates were hidden in unreasonably tough spots. 

• Like 4

It’s definitely the hardest and most time consuming plat of the 4 mainline games by a significant mile (to me). What really sets this game apart from the others is something called the N-Sanely Perfect relic, which you have to collect all the boxes, a certain amount of wumpa fruit and find the hidden gem(s). On top of that, this crash forces you into getting the platinum relics for the trophy instead of gold and plat like the trilogy. It’ll age you 15 years minimum going for it but it was incredibly satisfying getting them all done in the end. 

• Like 2

I think the game is fantastic. 

I would rank them 2, 3=4, 1. The levels are well designed, apart from a few choice box placements, and play really well IMO. I like playing as other characters, but I have to say I think needing platinum relics was a step too far. they are doable.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shadiochao said:

So I need to use a guide while playing, which spoils the experience for me with any game. Then I need to remember where they all are and collect them all without dying, and then I need to collect them all a second time. It's just such a massive chore compared to the first three games, where the levels were short and none of the crates were hidden in unreasonably tough spots. 

I'm currently playing Metro 2033 and I have the exact same feelings as you. Stopping use a guide is particularly painful. 

2 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I think the game is fantastic. 

I would rank them 2, 3=4, 1. The levels are well designed, apart from a few choice box placements, and play really well imo. I like playing as other characters , but I have to say I think i thinking needing platinum relics was a step too far. they are doable.

Ok this is promising. I earned the plat for most of the levels on the N-Sane trilogy anyway. This is not something I'm stressed about. Maybe I'll just play this for the experience as opposed to platting it. 

A major difficulty bump as compared to nsane trilogy but still doable. The grind gets repetitive due to perfect relics and n verted mode. 

About the time relics they would seem like a mammoth task at the beginning but once you get used to the level layout and common techs like blasting aku invincibility, sacrificing aku, cutting corners, you'll overcome it. Watch developer time relics and try to copy at least half of those strats. Good luck

As just a game to casually play, I feel like it's objectively the best, there's really not much to fault with it. It's a stellar platformer. 

BUT as a completionist going for the 100%, it easily is the hardest in the series and requires a lot of time from you. However during my plat run I would never say I hated it. I can understand why lower skilled people would hate it though.

And yes there are a few levels with stupidly hidden boxes and gems (Off Balance, Run it Bayou spring to mind), but overall the boxes aren't that hard to find.

Edited by willmill97
  • Like 2

In my personal opinion the only worse Crash games than this are Crash of the Titans, Mind Over Mutant and Tag Team Racing. I didn't enjoy this at all.

I'm usually not one to complain about difficulty but with this it seemed like they were trying to 1up Stormy Ascent from the first game with every level after the first area... Also I think the N-sanely perfect relics were just plain stupid addition...

For me, the true Crash 4 will always be Wrath of Cortex.

Well, I actually really enjoyed Crash Bandicoot 4 but have unfortunately to say that it is a very big grind and the hardest by a long shot.

Recently I breezed through the N. Sane trilogy but had again a hard time with Crash 4. In summary I did the 106% twice.

Maybe it is the best Crash, if you play it casually, but not really sure because my favorite is the second one.

Why is it so tough? Because you have to get the platinum time relics and the levels are much longer. You get a spinning ability which is uncomfortable to use in the beginning and the N. sane perfect relics can be really hard in addition with horrible load times (but that is not your concern on PS5).

Edited by Odd-Shokupan
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Was just looking at game owners, it seems like most weren't interested in this or word of mouth put a lot of people off. I mean the Trilogy at 400k owners and this just 55k, and PS5 a measly 15k. Pretty poor numbers. Even Crash Team got 145k. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Now I fin8shed the game, after knowing it wad a crap game. I bought it in the Spring sale in May.

It started off OK for the first couple of levels. Then it started a long deep decent into shitness. Once you thought it couldn't go any lower it smashes through the core and comes out the other side of crapness.

Massive flaws to this game,

Inverted mode, not needed.

All the silly press R2 to go upside down, slow time down, spin etc. Rubbish!

The boss battles were somewhat poor. Bad designs and not enjoyable.

Difficult rating 10/10 

Enjoyable rating 0/10(I refused to let this game beat me)

Level designs 2/10

Story 3/10

Personal overall rating 1/10

Personal ranking in the series.

2,1,3 Wrath of Cortex, 4

• Like 1

It's a mediocre game and not even in the same ballpark as the first 3 in terms of enjoyment and quality. Don't care how much you like the original trilogy (either OG or remaster), it is not worth the time and hassle. Game is stupid hard at points for no reason, and that's just to beat the game. The platinum is absurd, have fun with that. By far the hardest Crash game, not even close to the others in terms of grind or difficulty. Your time is better spent on something else. Mascots and brands don't make games good on their own, and this is a perfect example of that. Crash 1-3 were a huge staple of my childhood that I loved, but you couldn't pay me to play crash 4 again. I'm completely baffled that some think it's a great game (or even the best crash game!?) but to each their own.

Edited by ChibsSoA
  • Like 1

IAT is fantastic overall (certainly not "bad" or "mediocre" objectively whatsoever), and it is easily the best in the series in various areas such as how smoothly it controls. That said, however, there's also a lot of unnecessary padding (e.g N. Verted Mode) and - even by Crash's standards - asinine difficulty. Both of which, combined with a few other issues, ultimately and unfortunately prevents it as a whole package from being better than the second and third entries of the original trilogy (was never that fond of the first game outside of its remake, and it - regardless of which version - hasn't aged nearly as well - nor possesses as much appeal - as its two immediate sequels, imo). If the excessive padding wasn't as prevalent, the length of levels was more varied (e.g having a lot more short and/or medium levels), levels where you control alternate playable characters (e.g Dingodile) didn't switch back to a standard - albeit slightly remixed - Crash/Coco level or segment midway for no discernable reason, difficulty throughout the game was more reasonable while still being quite challenging, boxes/crates weren't hidden as overly frequently and excessively as they are (no one liked this BS in the original trilogy as far as I'm aware, so I don't know why they were so adamant about doing it ten times worse here lol), there wasn't such an excessive amount of collectibles, and a handful of other things had been done a bit differently/better, then the game would've definitely been my favorite out of them all. I think that a lot of these - and some of the game's other issues - can largely be blamed on the devs trying hard to return to the series' roots while still building off of and evolving it after over a decade of the series struggling with its identity (followed by a lengthy dormancy), so I don't think that it's entirely the game's or developers' fault either which way as the series as a whole had a lot of baggage at this point that would've been extremely difficult for anyone in the industry to tackle.

If we ever get another game like this, hopefully they'll fix some of the above issues to make an even better experience out of what is already a great - if at times flawed - foundation. It's certainly clear that a ton of love went into making the game, even if I'd argue that some of that same love may have caused the devs to get a bit too excited and consequently create some of the above issues in the first place. The game is ultimately an absolute blast outside of going for 100/106% completion, and it - for what it's worth - also gave me a much better final boss than the original trilogy ever did. lol Also, it's perfectly fine if some people prefer The Wrath of Cortex, but saying it's better than IAT as if it's an objective fact is absolutely the farthest thing from the truth. TWOC and Nitro Kart are both decent games in of themselves, but they're just slower, watered-down versions of Warped and CTR respectfully. IAT itself does borrow ideas from the first three games, especially Warped, but it stands on its own two feet as a significantly and objectively more unique and polished entry (not to mention it's way prettier and visually appealing, even when accounting for subjective tastes) even despite its various flaws and untapped potential. It also has a lot more platforming than TWOC, which... is kind of necessary for a platformer. ?

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1