acidp4rn

Warning about potential broken saves.

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys.
So I encountered a save bug on PS5 and apparently it's because of the update? Tbh I don't remember any update but whatever, anyway... Was playing today for 5 hours or something and I tried to open a master strongbox so I made a quick-save before attempting that. After losing tons of lockpicks I decided I'm gonna reload and to my surprise - the game loaded but all I saw was a black screen. I was able to hear the game just fine but there was absolutely nothing on the screen. Just pitch black screen and a frozen game. Had to close the app completely which was closing really slow and suddenly I see an app error. Tried multiple times to load any saves I had and was still getting this black screens and freezes and app errors. Any quick-save (which I mainly use, I only use a manual save when I'm done with the game) wouldn't load. The last save I had was from the night before when I was about to finish playing and it was a manual save that worked and I was able to load the game but I lost like 5 hours of playthrough from today. Meanwhile I found a thread on reddit about this issue and turns out I'm not the only one encountering that, plenty of people have this exact problem on both consoles (xbox, playstation) and some people also encounter this on PC as well, and some suggested saves are not working because of the faulty update. So, I've been kinda jinxing it and playing all over those 5 hours I have lost using my last manual save but oh well... who would have thought, as of now all of my saves are broken, quick saves, auto saves and that one manual save. Worth to mention is that I am able to load any save from my previous characters from PS4 version just fine. So as of now I just lost about 40 hours of playing overall unless they are about to fix it but the thread on reddit is from 8 days ago so... I dunno, just wanted to let You guys know about this so you can keep that issue in mind.

Edited by acidp4rn

This has been reported multiple times and Bethesda are aware of it but haven't given an ETA on a fix:

If you don't have a pre-upgrade manual save handy, you're screwed and will have to delete everything and start over from scratch.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

I had the same problem and after a bit of research, I found out that completing the Civil war questline is one the ways to ruin your save file. Luckily I had a save just before turning in the second to last Civil war mission and I've had no problems ever since. However, it doesn't work for everybody which means there are other things that cause this bug. Definitely worth giving a shot though (if possible)!

23 minutes ago, Foremanskin said:

I had the same problem and after a bit of research, I found out that completing the Civil war questline is one the ways to ruin your save file. Luckily I had a save just before turning in the second to last Civil war mission and I've had no problems ever since. However, it doesn't work for everybody which means there are other things that cause this bug. Definitely worth giving a shot though (if possible)!

yep, that's what caused those bugs for me so it seems. tried to reload after taking the solitude and it is when i couldn't load quick/auto saves anymore. then i replayed all my steps and reclaimed solitude once again and this time it glitched all of my saves.

This happened to me and the only story quest I’ve done so far is kill the dragon at the western watch tower. 

I was catching fish and quick saved a few times. Reloaded and this happened. Tried reloading several older saves and all are broken. 

I read it’s caused by playing without mods, not sure how true that is but I was playing without mods. Apparently a patch is coming. 

3 hours ago, Tiffanniebaby said:

This happened to me and the only story quest I’ve done so far is kill the dragon at the western watch tower. 

I was catching fish and quick saved a few times. Reloaded and this happened. Tried reloading several older saves and all are broken. 

I read it’s caused by playing without mods, not sure how true that is but I was playing without mods. Apparently a patch is coming. 

I had it happen twice, I have seen a bunch of people saying different ways it can happen and at this point it seems like everything can do it
Since its this prevalent I find it hard to believe that nobody found it in testing but maybe its too much for me to assume they tested the new port of the game before releasing it 
Hopefully they patch soon, I wanna wipe my hands of this game already  

Got it too. And I found out too that this Civil War Quest Line May be the cause...

I have around 30 hours into it without problem till this quest Lines...

Now Ill have  to wait for the Patch cause I just dont want to make a new safe file

Issue is fixed in the 1.001.001 version of Skyrim PS5. The patch was released this morning.