Your weakness in trophy hunting.

DoktaC4ibby

Ironman runs make me lose my shit, pretty much all the time. Bonus points for long ironman runs containing random deaths outside of my control, nothing else can make me reach quite the same level of misery and deep hate towards the developers, and nothing else could make me give up on completing something. I also dislike speedruns because they need such a deep familiarity with games, most games aren't worth this kind of dedication, and speedrunning through a game to me is the most unnatural way to play it, but the dislike is nowhere near as strong as with ironman runs.

• Like 1

1. Almost all online trophies especially long grinds like reaching the max rank. Thats why i hate to plat rockstar games. Its ridiculous how much you have to grind for max rank in Red dead redemption 1 and 2, gta 4 or max payne 3. 

2. Games with fantastic SP but bullsh*t MP like Tomb Raider, AC Black flag or driver san francisco are also a real pain in the ass.

3. Trophies which requires a ridiculous amount of time --> 100% completion in Red dead redemption 2. Earning 100% in RDR 1 singleplayer was a lot of fun, but is complete bullsh*t in RDR 2 cause of hunting contracts and lack of fast travel. 150 hours of booring and luck based grinding..... 

4. All sort of unmarked collectibles like in The evil within, every call of duty or the feather in Asassins creed 2. Nobody really searches them and uses guides instead, so why should i waste my time with booring collecting? Its really frustrating and doesnst make any game better. It just sucks.  

Instead of those crappy trophies, why dont you just create real and fun challenges like for example a really hard difficulty , you have to complete (Killzone 2, Mass effect 2)? And please No ironman Trophis! 

Edited by Alex_Gorbatschow
  • Like 2

Grindfests like Mortal Kombat (it isn't that I won't do it but just I worry about my system with trophies like that), I'm still working the Vita version in spurts.

Online trophies like say trying a match isn't bad, but unnecessary multiplayer like Arkham Origins or luck like Uncharted... Just no.

Other than that, usually I can manage... but my backlog is so big some games I'm forcing myself through.

Online trophies that require a lot of kills in multiplayer. Like Battlefield Bad Company 1 - 10 002 kills in multiplayer. Or 40 000 kills in Battlefield Hardlina after you download DLC Criminal Activity. 10 000 kills for each classin multiplayer is insane in my opinion. 1000 kill i understand but 10 000 hell no. And kills that must be earned in ranked matches.

Like most I hate online trophies. I don't mind simple ones like Soul Calibur 6 does (except for ranked PvP) but hate it when it's something like RDR (2010) where you had to be the top player in like five consecutive games or some BS. 

Missables with no chapter select and it's especially worse when they have missable collectibles. 

Speed run trophies. If you like speed runs that's cool but I don't think they should force it. Totally takes away from the enjoyment of the game.

• Like 2

I'm going to jump on the hate train and say I also dislike online trophies. Playing with friends is great fun, but having to play with random people in order to get the most random or tedious achievements online is definitely a no-go for me. My Internet isn't great to begin with, so there's bound to be disconnects, lag, jitter on top of having to deal with randoms online. Truth be told, it can be fun at times, but most of the time I prefer to either play a single-player game alone or if there are online trophies, then boost those with a friend, than to play with people I don't really know.

Of particular note for this thread are grindy trophies. Trophies that require you to do a task over and over again. It can be anything, collecting materials to upgrade equipment, raking up cash by doing a specific activity, killing the same guy a thousand times, you name it, anything can be made grindy. What's the bad part about it? Well, no one likes to do the same fucking task a million times. Some grinds can be avoided, while others are made short thanks to a certain strategy, or completely irrelevant thanks to using a turbo controller and a set of rubber bands, but the worst are the ones that cannot be avoided. Like, you have to sit all the way through watching/doing the same thing countless times.

Extra hate points for grindy online trophies... Nothing quite beats having the two things you hate the most together in a nice shit package.

I think those are my main weaknesses. Oh, well, I guess you could add combo trials there. I'm not particularly adept at these on fighting games and whenever I see one, I know I'm going to be in for a rough experience. I don't hate them per see in their structure but I just find them that they are too much for me. 

• 5 months later...

I thought about it and I'd say my weakness is trophies requiring multiple playthroughs. I haven't had big problems with online trophies (yet), or speedrun trophies, or collectibles. But having to do the same things again for another ~10 hours really turns me off.

The first example is The Last of Us. Haven't gotten the platinum yet because I have to replay the game at least two more times. Just thinking about how bored I'll be by the end of the 3rd playthrough makes me not want to go back to it.

The second example is MGS2 where you have to get all the dog tags. In order to collect them you have to play the tanker mission 3 times and the plant mission 5 times and hold up every enemy. Ugh.

The counter example is Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. I did 3 playthroughs almost back to back and enjoyed most of my time. Maybe the faster gameplay made the game more replayable for me. Didn't have to move ladders or sneak up on everyone. Maybe it's just easier.

• Like 3

I'm usually not picky with these things but there are a few that definitely annoy me. 

1. Missable trophies in long games (rpgs etc).

Whenever I play a game for the first time, I like to do it without a guide and just enjoy it. Not having to constantly check for missables and make multiple saves.

2. Grindy trophies that rely on RNG. 

No skill involved or end in sight, you basically just grind until the game decides you can finally get what you wanted. It's why I still haven't got the platinum for Xenoverse.

3. Online trophies for dead games that require more the usual 2-4 people.

The trophy for 4 vs 4 in SSF4 is a good example for this. It somehow took months to get enough people and organise a time due to everyone living in different time zones. 

I personally hate games that require multiple playthroughs on each difficulty mode, especially when you can only unlock higher difficulties by beating the previous one.

Devil May Cry has it in nearly every game and it's ridiculous. 

• Like 2

Missable trophies - Especially in Metro Exodus, where I was forced to restart the whole game from Chapter 1, after missing one damningly crucial requirement in Chapter 6 for the :silver: Damir trophy, which is a requirement for :gold: Full Strength.

Difficulty-Specific trophies - Time is my worst enemy, and I only have little time to complete a difficulty-specific trophy, unless it is a faster run through the usage of exploits.

Collectables - These are the bane of my trophy hunting, which I have to use a guide to find each and every collectable in the game possible.

Edited by BadRep24

Speed/Timed Trophies - I like to take my time with games. Plus I hate missing a trophy by seconds. See Races, Speed Runs or time limited missions/items.

Combo Trophies - See most fighting games. I could of had the Plat for Dead or Alive 5 but.....two crazy combo trophies.

Long Time Online Trophies - I don't mind online trophies when you can do it in a day (like Uncharted4), but trophies where you have to level up to 60 or level up a weapon to 200 for a trophy - I hate. (see AC:Black Flag/Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition or those last two DOOM dlc trophies)

• Like 1

Getting S rank on all stages (in the XXX difficulty) - This must be the most time-consuming and practice-requiring trophy, sometimes one hit and -- sorry, replay the whole stage again.

Play/Win XXX rounds in the online mode - I'm not a fan of online games, so if my fav games happen to have online mp trophies this could be so sad for me lol. (And this is the reason that I didn't buy Tomb Raider 2013 on PSN)

• 3 weeks later...

Multiple playthroughs

I don't mind clearing the game two or three times for platinum, but any more runs is a no-good. Currently, the ones with most playthroughs i've done for platinum are Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (8 playthroughs, because of those emblems) and Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (6 playthroughs, because of unstackable difficulty trophies, PS3 version).

Online trophies

As long as they're simple ones and are not too troublesome, it's fine. I don't mind boosting too much, though.

Collectibles

Possibly my personal weakness. I don't mind them too much, but to look up from the internet to see where they are kind of takes the fun. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is probably the worst one so far. Screw those orbs.

Missable trophies

If the trophy can be obtained from somewhere in the beginning, it's fine.

Speedrun trophies

I haven't done too many of those, and while i think it's a good challenge, i really don't like them too much. The most recent one i did was Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection. Despite the several mistakes i did, i still cleared all three of them.

And that's pretty much it.

• Like 2

I guess, for me, not feeling the need to play games I don’t like for trophies. Hence I have many one trophy games. I also have games I really liked that require a second play through to play, but I’d rather play a new game, so it’s left at like 95% trophy completion.

in terms of the types of trophies I dislike: yeah, online of course, but also speedrun trophies, trophies that require you not to save, and trophies that are missable and time sensitive but where the game gives you no indication of their existence.

• 3 years later...

Don’t mind online trophies, what I can’t stand at all is grinding. Anything where I’ve gotta play the same part of the game over and over, doing the same things to the same enemies just to incrementally increase xp or something then I’m probably turning my back on the plat. Pure time wasting tedium