PS5 still not available

vanessaking2

26 minutes ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Making a no Blu-ray version of PS5 was a mistake for Sony, and I hope they don't repeat it with PS5 Pro (can't rule that out) or PS6. Sony could've produced more Blu-ray PS5s instead of making some in an inferior model. The $100 you save on the digital model will be lost. A game you want could be marked down for $20 at a store when it's still $60 on PSN... but if you have the digital model, you're SOL.

I really believe that next gen consoles will be discs only, you probably saw some shelfs ,in Walmart or any market that sells consoles, where there were many not touched digital only ps5's + I am truly convinced (like everyone gathered here) that Sony has sales statistics which PS5 version is selling better

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I'm in the UK, so the situation may be different, but I find that is very rarely the case here.

Far more often, I see games that are routinely on very steep discount on the PSN digital store, still for sale physically in retail stores for near the initial RRP.

I feel like I am constantly buying games on the PSN Digital store, and very rarely am I ever paying anywhere near full RRP for them - sales are routine, and pretty deep - certainly as compared to physical retail over here.

I understand some people buy used physical copies, but for those of us who do not like such practices, and who don't tend to buy physical discs at all, the digital only PS5 is a great idea -

the only problem is, Sony didn't make enough of them!

I ended up having to get the one with a useless disc drive, (useless to me, that is) for more money, because I couldn't find a digital only for sale.

What about storage? idk, I'd think most people here have ps4 discs at least. You may be in the minority, though it's still valid.

13 minutes ago, Baranov_925 said:

I am truly convinced (like everyone gathered here) that Sony has sales statistics which PS5 version is selling better

They’re both sold out completely? The fact people anecdotally all seem to have disc versions just says Sony are making more of those, likely because they make more profit from the disc versions. I think the digital-only console was mostly made because they caught wind Microsoft were doing something similar with the Series S and they wanted to compete on that front and lower the headline price point pre-launch.

Personally, I think there is a market for digital only consoles. I’ve ordered the disc-based PS5 but I’d have preferred the digital one (mostly because I think it looks better). I only ever bought a single physical PS4 game (a limited edition of NBA 2K21 that commemorated Kobe Bryant after he died). Other than that, I don’t really treasure Playstation games or want them cluttering a shelf in my house so I’m digital only, I don’t think I’ll ever even buy a PS5 disc.

Edited by Tsundokuist
  • Like 2

i gave up last year. checked this week and scalpers are still hoarding them all. even worse the stores are bundling them so it kinda stops the scalpers a tiny bit but makes the stores as bad as the scalpers charing 800 for a bundle of shit you dont need or want just to get the friggen console. now walmart says if you have a plus membership you can go online 3 hours earlier. gamestop says if you get a rewards membership you get a 15 minute window but its usually bundles. it kinda pisses me off because i have about 5 friends who barely play and they somehow lucked out and got them. one even got a invite code from sony and dude plays maybe once a year. another one won one and it kinda just sits on his shelf with 1 game. but none want to get rid of them. 

10 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

What about storage? idk, I'd think most people here have ps4 discs at least. You may be in the minority, though it's still valid.

It is a factor, but for me, storing physical discs is more of a space issue in my house than electronic storage space for digital games is ?

I went through the process of ripping my DVD / Blu-ray discs to a series of drives around 5 years ago, and the amount of space it saved in my house really put me in a digital-only kind of mindset after that (which is good, because that ripping process required a disc drive to be running 24/7 for like 14 months, and burned out 3 lasers ?)

On the PS4, I did have a separate 4TB drive installed, which is now plugged into the PS5 for PS4 legacy games, and I did consider adding an SSD to the PS5, but since I tend to only have 3 or 4 games maximum on the go at any one time, it hasn't been an issue... yet! ?

I'm lucky, in that I have pretty good fibre internet, with unlimited data, so actually storing electronic games isn't too much of an issue - I can delete from the console, and re-download relatively quickly when I want to replay - though obviously I'm aware that becomes an issue for anyone with data-caps or slow internet, so of course, it is very much dependant on circumstance!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It is a factor, but for me, storing physical discs is more of a space issue in my house than electronic storage space for digital games is ?

I went through the process of ripping my DVD / Blu-ray discs to a series of drives around 5 years ago, and the amount of space it saved in my house really put me in a digital-only kind of mindset after that (which is good, because that ripping process required a disc drive to be running 24/7 for like 14 months, and burned out 3 lasers ?)

On the PS4, I did have a separate 4TB drive installed, which is now plugged into the PS5 for PS4 legacy games, and I did consider adding an SSD to the PS5, but since I tend to only have 3 or 4 games maximum on the go at any one time, it hasn't been an issue... yet! ?

I'm lucky, in that I have pretty good fibre internet, with unlimited data, so actually storing electronic games isn't too much of an issue - I can delete from the console, and re-download relatively quickly when I want to replay - though obviously I'm aware that becomes an issue for anyone with data-caps or slow internet, so of course, it is very much dependant on circumstance!

Ever since I got an external hard drive for my PS4, I have been coming around to digital only. It is a huge space saver for sure and a digital movie collection would save me a good amount of space but that's not an option for me right now at least. However, I still prefer physical, looking at actual physical games versus the library on my PS4 is just not comparable. I miss video games coming with a manual, reading that thing was like part of a ritual when buying a new game,  now I just make space on my hard drive and put it in a folder.

To the thread Topic, I have put zero effort beyond entering some contests to get a PS5. I want one of course but I am nothing if not patient (mostly ? ). Good things to those who wait and whatnot. 

7 hours ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

Making a no Blu-ray version of PS5 was a mistake for Sony, and I hope they don't repeat it with PS5 Pro (can't rule that out) or PS6. Sony could've produced more Blu-ray PS5s instead of making some in an inferior model. The $100 you save on the digital model will be lost. A game you want could be marked down for $20 at a store when it's still $60 on PSN... but if you have the digital model, you're SOL.

Plenty of people have transitioned into being all digital these days, it makes sense that Sony and Microsoft went this route for those that wanted it. 

The real crime here is charging us $100 for a disc drive. Disc drives cost Sony literal pennies these days, and we pay a premium because they said so. There was absolutely no reason both consoles couldn't have been $400 at launch. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Viper said:

The real crime here is charging us $100 for a disc drive. Disc drives cost Sony literal pennies these days, and we pay a premium because they said so. There was absolutely no reason both consoles couldn't have been $400 at launch. 

If they feel the need to make more money, it should be on the physical copies of games. I'd rather have them just add $5 to the disc game prices (so they'd be $55, $65, $75) and have the $100 hit spread out over 20 game purchases instead of coming all at once. Lower the entry barrier and get more people aboard who would say "Hell no" to $500, then sell more games.

• 1 month later...

In hindsight, appears they should have put off the console release a while 

because not just supply,  seriously, what are the “must have” ps5 games?  

ratchet and clank?  Ok….. love a good ratchet and clank, but does it move systems?  Everything else I can think of is cross generational 

• Like 1

Keep an eye on retailors which do in-store sign ups for the waiting list. That's how I got mine. You can also try following Discord servers or Twitter bots which ping stock availability in your area.

I think the scarcity of PS5s is less severe compared to 2021, in my country. In 2021 online orders for PS5 would be out of stock in 4 seconds flat. This year, at Amazon the availability lasted for a good three minutes.

Edited by Eraezr

I had given up getting one and was just going through my ps3/vita backlog.  You have to pay a service just to get one these days(prime, walmart+, etc) so you might as well pay the extra $$ from scalpers, which has started coming down a bit. 

But recently I got a Sony Direct invite, so I got one.  Never got a PS4 and only played it once, and we've been given a bunch of ps4 games (uncharted, R&C, Horizon, etc), so I have a backlog of games, plus a bunch I never got to play from last gen (RDR2, Metal Gear, etc), before I worry about getting a PS5 game.  Probably my last console though.

• 5 months later...

I agree with you. However, I am much happier with my Ps4 slim + PSVR1 combo (for VR gaming) than with the Ps5. The only reason why I still got a ps5 is that it will be required for psvr2 in a few months from now. And it honestly wouldn't surprise me if the "Ps5 shortage" continues or even jumps up again when the psvr2 comes out. Make no mistake, psvr1 with a ps4 is a much better gaming package right now than a Ps5 by itself. The new Ratchet game is great, but it can't compete with the top virtual reality games on psvr1. Trust me on that. And that won't change until the psvr2 comes out.

I've been quite pleased with it.

I'm not sure how easy it is, but you could look into getting onto Sony's PlayStation Direct list. I was able to pre-order a PS5 for release and then have gotten two emails for other direct order events since.

I'm in the US, so I don't know if the program is available in Europe. I was also sent an invite from Sony to sign up, and have spent a good amount on PSN over the past decade so I don't know what the exact requirements are to be part of the program.

10 minutes ago, jimbob12345678 said:

ShopTo have them in stock atm. Dunno how long they'll last though!

They've been in stock since 1pm today apparently (got an email about it since I'm subscribed to their newsletter). I've seen PS5s in stock on there and few other sites while just browsing for pre-orders/games previously as well. I imagine it's still not exactly easy to obtain one, but it does seem like it's getting less difficult at least. Also noticed XSX in stock at a few places for quite some time (like a few days), at least from what I've noticed, I'm not actively checking so can't confirm 100%.

So who in the UK will buy one and ship it to me? :awesome:

I’ve been actively trying to get one for months but these things are non existent over here. When very occasionally they do come in the store they still get bought by scalpers ASAP. I hate them.

I also subscribed to the official store when it first launched and never had an invitation. 

I’m giving up for now. Hopefully there will be more in Q3 this year. A Modern Warfare 2 bundle would be nice.

There are no problems with availability in Poland actually. They're in bundles with games, usually a bit pricier than MSRP, around 50 euros more for the console, if you factor in selling the bundled games. There was a little price drop recently and I finally gave into temptation, got myself a PS5 with HFW and a second controller for like 10 euros above MSRP, so far I'm pretty happy with it. 

• Like 1