General advise please!

JoesusHCrust

I've been playing this game for a while now so have unlocked a fair few troops and built up some resources but I've reached a bit of a wall! 

I'm using +2 Golden Cog, Rowanne, Goblin Shaman and Settite warrior, all around level 17. It works well for lower level battles. I build up Rowanne's armour and then use her Thorns spell.

It isn't working on higher level matches though and is holding me back from earning the rest of the trophies i want to. The top priority is to build a team that I can complete Sin of Maraj with and start doing delves and building up underworld renown so I can get those trophies. What would be a good team for that?

also, I have 500k gold, 5k glory and 5k souls as well as hundreds of traitstones etc. What's the best use for the different resources? 

Thanks! 

You probably want to try a "peeling the onion" approach rather than attempting to brute force your way through a harder obstacle.  That is, build up your power in a gradual and organic fashion so that you can overcome each new challenge in turn and take on the next with some level of success.

Based on the team you're using, I suspect you don't have access to very many (if any) higher base-rarity troops.  Which is a problem, because many of the Legendary and Mythic base-rarity troops are the stronger ones; not that there aren't useful troops at Epic or below, but there aren't a huge number and those often require some level of synergy with the rest of a well-designed team if you want them to shine.  The idea you've expressed above is a sound team for the early game, but you should probably be looking for other troops that can either buff Rowanne's armor or generate mana as to speed the entire team up.

One thing that would help is to boost your stats.  Gaining levels can help with a little bit of that; leveling up your kingdoms will also do that.  Rather than banging your head against the Sin of Maraj wall, it might be helpful to farm gold to invest in getting kingdoms up to Power Level 5 (and then Power Level 10 after that), plus accumulating troops you don't have to increase your kingdom stars.  You'll get some stat boosts that way, and it probably shouldn't cost you anything other than gold at this early stage.  You'll also increase the odds that you'll get extra rewards at hourly tribute.

I'd use your Rowanne team to farm low-level Explore in those kingdoms you do have unlocked.  You'll accumulate basic resources that way -- Gold, Souls, Traitstones, Hero XP -- and you'll probably get some Gold Keys as well.  Those keys won't get you any troops above Rare base-rarity, but you can use them to accumulate piles of those to ascend low base-rarity troops and to ascend them, getting those troops more stats and higher levels (if you have the Souls to level them up).

You might also see if you can handle some easy/easier PvP.  The gold payoff is decent, and you can get some Glory through the process as well.  It'll probably be a fair amount more difficult than low-level Explore, however.

Find a friendly Guild to take you in.  You'll get some additional stat boosts that way, plus you'll benefit from the rewards they unlock through Guild State donations and from various events.

As for how to use resources?

• Gold should be invested into your kingdoms to increase their Power level.
  • Spend a little Glory every week and buy one copy of the new unit in the Glory Shop -- the cost will vary with the base-rarity of the unit in question, but 200-400 Glory shouldn't be an unreasonable cost.  (You're buying one copy of the unit, not the umpteen that veterans will spend as to ascend that troop to Mythic as soon as possible.)
  • Souls should be used to level up the units that you use; if you run out of "units that you use", you can start spending them to level up other units that kingdom star tasks require to be completed.
  • Traitstones should be spent to activate the traits on units, with priority to the ones that you use.  Very few traits are "negative", although many of them won't have a significantly noticeable effect.

Related to that second bullet point?  The Glory Shop unit frequently offers a rewards bonus for the week that it is the headline unit.  It'll change from week to week, both the rewards and the game modes where it will apply, but it's an easy way to accumulate extra stuff if you use it in your team.  The in-game newsfeed can provide you specifics, along with which troops get bonus stats for the week (based on their kingdom and/or class).

Also:  Be patient.  It'll probably take some time and effort just to surmount the Sin of Maraj roadblock.  Being able to compete in delves with any particular effectiveness is a much harder task than that and you're apt to frustrate yourself if you think you can just blitz through all that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, acasser said:

Thanks very much for your response. There's a lot of useful information there. 

I do have twelve legendary troops but I'm not using any of them! Perhaps I should be? If I list them, could you advise? 

In the current team, Cogs double armour and Settite warrior also provides an armour buff. The team has a few weaknesses though. The major problem is that my mana doesn't fill up fast enough. I have the goblin to generate green orbs but I often find that I'm reliant on being lucky with the board. Of course the whole team falls apart if I lose Rowanne too!  

Yes, if you named the Legendaries it would help for @acasser to give you help (since he knows much more than me about the game and team building..)

Still a few pointers:

Do you have Leprechaun, or Angry Mob or Thrall?

It can be useful to get Mana faster.

Also, maybe Shield of Urskaya may be a better option (I use it on my Rowanne team, since it also grants Barrier to Rowanne, and at higher levels, it also Barrier the Hero).

I think it could be worthwhile for you to grind some Class weapons (250 wins with the class), since some are almost game breaking.. namely that Shield, Essence of Evil. Thief's Key and Dragon's Eye too.

For Class battle grind you just need 2 Bombs (all traits, to make it start with full mana) and Sun Bird, or use Rowanne + someone that destroy tons of gems at Explorer 1-3 (see what level you can wipe out in a single cast).

With Rowanne, 3 Medals of Gaar are also welcome, and they are the easiest to get!

On a last note, if you are facing many enemies not immune to Devour, then it may be worthwhile to check your Devour troops options (I lost track of how long I keep using Giant Spider + Kraken + Tzathoth).

PS: I have no clue how difficult it actually is for you to do the class trials early on the game...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoesusHCrust said:

I do have twelve legendary troops but I'm not using any of them! Perhaps I should be? If I list them, could you advise? 

In the current team, Cogs double armour and Settite warrior also provides an armour buff. The team has a few weaknesses though. The major problem is that my mana doesn't fill up fast enough. I have the goblin to generate green orbs but I often find that I'm reliant on being lucky with the board. Of course the whole team falls apart if I lose Rowanne too!  

Yes, I probably could offer better team-building advice if I know what specific troop limitations you're working with.  Obviously you won't have any of the delve troops, and you probably don't have any mythic troops either.  But an idea of what you do have to work with makes idea generation a little easier.

Mana generation is important, and there are ways to massage that.  Board control is even more important; certain troops lend themselves to that very well either because they grant extra turns as part of their spell or because you can use them to re-arrange the board in favorable ways.

45 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Do you have Leprechaun, or Angry Mob or Thrall?

Also, maybe Shield of Urskaya may be a better option (I use it on my Rowanne team, since it also grants Barrier to Rowanne, and at higher levels, it also Barrier the Hero).

Leprechaun would probably be okay, although that's a base Ultra Rare and therefore not available from standard Gold chests.  Lacking that, Ragnagord would also probably work, though that's a base Epic.  Another potentially useful base Ultra Rare would be Fomorian because he'll destroy up to 25 gems for 12 mana.

Without a healthy Magic stat behind him, Angry Mob and Thrall (and other troops that destroy a handful of gems such as Egg Thief and Marilith) aren't particularly effective -- this is one of those things that you can reinforce to yourself by using them in the Arena as opposed to other game modes.

Shield of Urskaya is probably a good idea, although I'd have severe doubts that he'd have the Ingots to upgrade it.  He'll need 250 wins as a Sentinel to get it, this after completing the Class Quest line in Urskaya.  Which might be a struggle for him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the angry mob but I do have leprechaun and Thrall. 

I've not got any of the weapons you mentioned.

I've got the bombots and sunbird so I could give that a go.

I'm level 66 with my archer but all other classes are at level 1. Some of the class trials have been hard to do, but others I've found to be quite achievable. 

11 hours ago, acasser said:

Yes, I probably could offer better team-building advice if I know what specific troop limitations you're working with. 

I've got 407 troops.

The legendary troops are: 

Abhorath, Behemoth, Carnex, Jarl Firemantle, Marid, Medea, Queen Moonclaw, Saguaro, Scarlett, The great Maw, Urskula and Willow. They're mostly at level 1 but Saguaro is level 19 and Scarlett level 10.

I don't have any mythic troops but I do have 71 of the purple coloured troops (can't remember what rarity that's called!) 

As for weapons, I've got 94. 

I do have 1 mythic weapon - Dragon's Oak. I've also got 36 legendary weapons. 

In my inventory, I've got 660k gold, 26k souls, 8k glory, 3174 traitstones, around 4,000 various jewels and about 360 ingots. 

Thanks again for helping! 

P.S. I've got all of the magic boosting kingdoms at level 10 and everything else at level 5. 

Also I'm working on upgrading the current artifact. I've currently got it at level 4 

11 hours ago, JoesusHCrust said:

Abhorath, Behemoth, Carnex, Jarl Firemantle, Marid, Medea, Queen Moonclaw, Saguaro, Scarlett, The great Maw, Urskula and Willow. They're mostly at level 1 but Saguaro is level 19 and Scarlett level 10.

I don't have any mythic troops but I do have 71 of the purple coloured troops (can't remember what rarity that's called!) 

As for weapons, I've got 94. 

I do have 1 mythic weapon - Dragon's Oak. I've also got 36 legendary weapons. 

In my inventory, I've got 660k gold, 26k souls, 8k glory, 3174 traitstones, around 4,000 various jewels and about 360 ingots. 

Thanks again for helping! 

P.S. I've got all of the magic boosting kingdoms at level 10 and everything else at level 5. 

Also I'm working on upgrading the current artifact. I've currently got it at level 4 

Purple is Epic rarity.  Whether natural (base) rarity, or because you've ascended some troops of lower base-rarity.

A couple of quick thoughts on those Legendaries available to you:

• Behemoth isn't bad early in the game because he'll do damage to all and destroy a bunch of gems at the same time.  But he can be time-consuming to fill his mana if you don't build a team around the concept.
  • Carnex is a solid tank when he's fully traited -- he'll be immune to many status effects, plus he'll add a fraction of his armor to skull damage dealt.  His spell can help with your mana generation issues and will also serve to add to his armor, but you'll probably need to back him up with some damage dealers.
  • Jarl Firemantle is pretty good, and his spell can often refill his mana (at least in part).  If you trait him up, he'll also gain stat bonuses when you put him at the front of your team.  It's very popular to back him up with other Giants; at this stage of your development, that probably means a Titan-class Hero (preferably fully traited for the 50% mana start), plus the Fire Giant has some synergy with Jarl when Jarl is traited (because Jarl will burn troops and Fire Giant can do bonus damage to them).
  • The Great Maw is a guaranteed devour on a chosen troop that isn't immune to that.  If you power it up and trait him, you'll probably want to use him as a tank.  Just be advised that its spell can only be used once in a battle; this is something of a drawback but it also allows you to back it up with troops of the same color as it'll cease to block brown/yellow after casting.  If you have a fully-traited Dervish class, that has a level of synergy with The Great Maw and other Monsters because of the Dervish's 3rd trait.

Most of the rest don't offer very much, at least not without building a team around what they do well.  Moonclaw is a summoner, but Gnolls are tricky to play with.  Medea is designed to work with Mystics and/or Demons given her spell and traits.  Urskula is designed to work with an all-Urska team (or three Urska and a Sentinel hero) when she's fully traited; the 50% start is her primary selling point.  (Her spell isn't anything worth writing home about.)  Willow works at his best when you combine him with other Beasts (or a Warden Hero from the Maugrim Woods quests).

Many of the rest aren't particularly useful and can be ignored other than how they'll eventually help you with kingdom stars.

If you want to stick with your Rowanne concept, work with the Sentinel as your active class to get the Shield of Urskaya.  And because a traited Sentinel is a reasonable tank in its' own right.  The Goblin Shaman isn't a bad idea given she generates Green with her spell (plus an extra turn, always useful), but I'd still replace the Settite Warrior with something more effective.  The Leprechaun isn't bad given it'll generate both mana and gold for you, and it's worth traiting him for the Empowered start.  (But place the Leprechaun at the back of your team if it's Empowered, as not to take Green mana from Rowanne.)

Thinking through lower-rarity troops, the Valkyrie might not be a bad complement but would likely require you to change weapons as not to have the Hero's Golden Cog blocking her colors.  Valkyrie can generate Blue mana for Rowanne, generate souls for your stockpile, and using her spell effectively is sound board control.

The Fast trait on the Archer isn't as spectacular as it sounds.  The Archer's 3rd trait is actually more effective if you're tanking with the Archer.  And there are plenty of ways to get accelerated mana starts on a variety of troops, either from their own abilities or in synergy with something else.  For example, the Titan Hero when fully traited will give all ally Giants a 50% start.

As for the Artifact?  It can be helpful during the current campaign if you power it up, but it probably shouldn't be a priority focus for you.  Largely because the rewards are temporary -- they'll go away at the end of the current campaign -- and partially because many of those bonuses will eventually be overwhelmed by stat points you get from elsewhere, such as upgraded kingdoms.