Mission 6 Marine Campaign Nightmare. How?

Ivotas

Hey guys, me again. So I've made it through all the previous five missions gradually getting more familiar with the game and enemies to find my way on how to beat it best. All difficult parts like Face Huggers considered I would say that so far the swarm around the drop ship at mission 4 was the most difficult for me. But even there I could actually see a way how to deal with it and got better little by little until I got past it.

However what I'm encountering now at the very first stage of mission 6 is like I'm playing a completely different game whatsoever. The swarm in the beginning is brutal, literally brutal. And sometimes I have to deal with cheap deaths but that I can put aside as bad luck because I just as often can make my way around the swarm somehow. Still ridiculous with you having to worry to not fall to your death, not having a shotgun which was a key component in my playstyle so far and also sometimes being overwhelmed with no means of escape (including adic that kills you if you should try to shoot your way out of being surrounded). That one is all tough already but then come the friggin Praetorians accompanied by other minor Xenomorphs. And no matter if you have a smartgun or another weapon equipped it's so overwhelming that I honestly don't have the slightest idea what to do. Does anybody have any strategy that is actually working? 

I'm not expecting something that makes me kill them on the first try. But at least something that with trial and error shows it's a way to actually get past them. Because this is just insane as it is right now. Thanks in advance.

Try this, a tactic that I found back in the days that should help you:

1) As soon as you drop down where the automatic turret is placed, quickly activate it, pick up the smart gun and gather all the ammo you can find;

2) Go back to the elevator and place yourself in the furthest corner. This will make enemies come at you in a straight line (sort of), making easier to line them up and get a quick kill (be careful with the automatic aim of the smart gun tho, 'cause it will always try to aim to the heads causing acid explosions that can potentially one shot you. Turn off the auto lock and try to shot at the body. Enemies engage one at a time, so you can focus on one, then the next one, and so on);

3) The Praetorians will NEVER chase you inside the elevator if you stay in it from the start (they will stay in the spawning position, and becoming sitting ducks), allowing the automatic turret to shot them down after 5 min. from their spawning.

Hope this will help you. Sorry for the broken english.

EDIT: I forgot that maybe you have to trigger the Praetorians appearance by going near the start of the bridge. Once you see them (or hear), go back to the elevator and let the turret take care of the duo.

Edited by Il_Doflamingo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Il_Doflamingo said:

Try this, a tactic that I found back in the days that should help you:

1) As soon as you drop down where the automatic turret is placed, quickly activate it, pick up the smart gun and gather all the ammo you can find;

2) Go back to the elevator and place yourself in the furthest corner. This will make enemies come at you in a straight line (sort of), making easier to line them up and get a quick kill (be careful with the automatic aim of the smart gun tho, 'cause it will always try to aim to the heads causing acid explosions that can potentially one shot you. Turn off the auto lock and try to shot at the body. Enemies engage one at a time, so you can focus on one, then the next one, and so on);

3) The Praetorians will NEVER chase you inside the elevator if you stay in it from the start (they will stay in the spawning position, and becoming sitting ducks), allowing the automatic turret to shot them down after 5 min. from their spawning.

Hope this will help you. Sorry for the broken english.

EDIT: I forgot that maybe you have to trigger the Praetorians appearance by going near the start of the bridge. Once you see them (or hear), go back to the elevator and let the turret take care of the duo.

Dude, DUDE!!! You are a friggin' LEGEND! This worked perfectly. Got it on my first try. For some reason I was a lot less stressed against the androids and against Wayland because I knew I could try this approach again and voilá, I've beaten the campaign on Nightmare. Thank you sooo much mate! That was a great tip. It's worthy of being written down in a guide.^^

Edited by Ivotas
My previous questions became unimportant after successfully pulling off this approach
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

That's the same strategy i used. You can conserve so much ammo this way that you can even use the smartgun against the androids. Makes this level such a breeze.

Yeah, now I can see why this is considered one of the easier levels in the Marine campaign. Doing it the hard one is not impossible but definitely a league of it's own compared to the previous missions IMO.