What is tunneling?

Hi guys, could someone explain me please what does it mean tunneling in this game? I am just playing like a "killer" and when I kill someone or win a game, I instantly receive a message that I am tunneling and that I will be reported. 

I very like this game, but these messages are very annoying. I just cannot imagine how to do 500 sacrifaces trophy like this...

Edited by Squall_Croft

"Tunneling" is mostly defined as 'hooking a survivor on consecutive hooks while ignoring all other survivors'. My advice? Set messages to only from friends and dont care about reports ( i dont believe that anyone check them). People get salty when they loose, just play game and have fun.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, LuisOMGamer said:

It's pretty much you focusing in one survivor and one surivor only to take him out of the game as fast as possible to gain some advantage. You'll find out survivors often complain about it, in lower levels, but at the higher level is very common to see killers tunneling as their main strategy.

My advice would be that nobody can force you how to play, so it's really up to you wether do it or not. And also not forget that some people might have their own meaning of "tunneling", so there can be the case where they call you out, but you didn't actually tunnel them. 

Thank you for your answer. I dont think I do it on purpose, if I am doing it. If I see a survivor I am chasing him. If I loose him I look for another one... I dont want to ruin the game for other player but I tought that the killers job is chasing and kill a survivor in this game. 

I think I will just block the messages from players that are not in my friend list and hope I wont get ban.

Edited by Squall_Croft
Typos
  • Like 1

In a broader since, tunneling is focusing on one thing so hard you ignore everything else.  Comes up a lot in MMOs, tunneling so hard on DPS you forget to do mechanics.

This, sounds like a butthurt kid that's mad that he got got.  So yea, set your messages to friends only.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Squall_Croft said:

Thank you for your answer. I dont think I do it on purpose, if I am doing it. If I see a survivor I am chasing him. If I loose him I look for another one... I dont want to ruin the game for other player but I tought that the killers job is chasing and kill a survivor in this game. 

I think I will just block the messages from players that are not in my friend list and hope I wont get ban.

You won't get banned for tunnelling it's not reportable. DBD has a really entitled community and the players will complain about everything, especially survivor players. 

• Like 2

Hey little buddy,

if people are messaging you and complaining that your tunnelling them, don’t sweat it. It’s just survivors complaining that a killer is doing their job well (which is killing survivors), meaning they are doing their job badly (which is surviving).

They can complain about it as much as they want, but at the end of the day (on purpose or not) it’s an end to a means, it’s working for you.

Remember, your hunting for trophies for yourself not some randoms who are no good at the game.

You can’t get in trouble for tunnelling, just as they can’t for looping. It’s a tactic that works.

So keep fighting the good fight and ridding the world of teenagers one match at a time.

And don’t sweat it about the messages they send, I normally just politely reply that the winner of the match probably doesn’t need advice from the losers. (This makes them angrier)…

Hopefully I see you out there in the fog, Champ…

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Tunneling is a way of chasing someone constantly without giving up on them at all. Killers tend to do this on the skilled players and save the baby survivors for later, so they have an easier time at endgame. Tunneling is a pretty good strategy, and once you kill off two survivors, it's pretty much game over for the survivors.

Edited by Yukiko Miyamoto

18 hours ago, Yukiko Miyamoto said:

Tunneling is a way of chasing someone constantly without giving up on them at all. Killers tend to do this on the skilled players and save the baby survivors for later, so they have an easier time at endgame. Tunneling is a pretty good strategy, and once you kill off two survivors, it's pretty much game over for the survivors.

Tunneling is chasing someone who has just been unhooked. Chasing someone without giving up is not tunneling its a mistake. Chasing the best survivor is the last thing you want to do, you want to find the weakest link instead. So many games where i get chased for several minutes while gens are popping right and left just because the killer can't make the smart decision to break chase and find another weaker survivor and in turn this makes him lose the game getting only a single kill. 

If i ever notice that a survivor is skilled i break chase and chase a bum iinstead and have them use all the pallets without even looping them, so that later when i chase the "good" survivor he has almost no pallets left. 

Is the efficient way of playing this game against a good team of survivors

Is just simple math

The less amount of survivors in the match

More chances of killing everyone

They gonna cry when they die.....

By your specific strat of winning

But they love to use absolutely everything to humiliate you when you are the killer

This game is soo toxic 

That any other game is just love and rainbows compared to it.

• 2 weeks later...