Would you recommend this platinum?

I've been...pondering whether to attempt this game or not. I've played this game for nearly 8 years before I quit after 5.3 and despite having no real interest in returning, the idea of its platinum does entice me a lot (and funnily enough I did a lot of its requirements, but only on pc). I read that you could potentially do it with a free trial (which is now up to level 60 and goes to HW, which is better than before)but it won't pop until you buy the actual game and put a subscription, so that's why I'm doing a lot of research first.

If I were to play this game only for its platinum, would you recommend it or nah? 

Edited by Darghel

Unless you love it, I'd say no. I did it and didn't love the game so the whole experience was just a soulless grind to me. I started it years before without caring about the trophies, it was okay but I dropped it because I just wasn't fussed. Came back to it years later because trophies ?‍♂️ that's it. I like the idea of complete series of numbered entry final fantasy plats so I just wanted it doing.

The enjoyment I got from it was finishing and getting the Platinum. Getting another old game up to 100% That was it really. Which was fine with all the other old crap I've finished up, they only took hours or days. This took months. I kinda felt shitty about it as well considering how much love the devs have put into it to turn it around after its car crash start. How much love for it actual fans have for it and there was me just phoning it in whilst watching TV. Letting my sub lapse and resubbing once my leves had built up whilst I was away to make it as cheap as possible.

Churning out the same leves, the same FATES, the simplest crafting items, the same gathering points... just as efficient as possible. I'm glad the PS5 version got a different, much more hardcore trophy list so the real fans got a list they deserved and I wasn't able to just log in and autopop it ?

TL;DR unless you love the game, no

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PraiseTheFluppi said:

I thought there was a way to autopop all trophies if you have a pc account where all requirements are met and log in to that account on the PS4/PS5. There should be some info about this out there, pretty sure I read about it here on PSNP somewhere. 1f914.png

Urgh I don't really want to log in with my pc account, since I made up my mind and don't really want to return to my old avatar (plus I don't even know if I actually did all of those: I never bothered the 1000 crafts for my golden weapons in ARR, but I should probably be around 500), but if that's true then it would also mean I'd have to buy all the games and expansions and I'm not really sure I'm up for that... But I'll take a look just in case, but my idea was to begin fresh and spend the least amount of money that way. It's really a shame the trial doesn't work that well!

Edited by Darghel

I was in a similar situation. I decided to go back for the new plat, but the game will likely get new trophies for years to come.

I am a bit confused though, you say you have a character already, so there's no reason to use the free trial. Just sign in on your account on PS5. Everything carries over, so it should be really easy to mop up all of the trophies (minus the collectibles).

It's a fantastic game, so it's always worth revisiting. No need to do everything in one shot.

39 minutes ago, Cleggworth said:

TL;DR unless you love the game, no

Yikes, that was what I feared. I did like the game but I did eventually quit, but the requisites seem doable (no eureka or borsnia...borsha? can't type that). I'll have to think this through some more...

25 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I was in a similar situation. I decided to go back for the new plat, but the game will likely get new trophies for years to come.

I am a bit confused though, you say you have a character already, so there's no reason to use the free trial. Just sign in on your account on PS5. Everything carries over, so it should be really easy to mop up all of the trophies (minus the collectibles).

It's a fantastic game, so it's always worth revisiting. No need to do everything in one shot.

I don't have a ps5 and I don't have all the exp on console... So the idea was to start anew and buy the starter edition (since it's the cheapest). To be honest I have no real intentions to return to the game for good, other than to have a possible UR platinum (I played for 8 years, since 2.0, but i've had enough since it's an expense and I just don't care about mmorpgs anymore). Was hoping the trial would give trophies even if 60 but seems like not unless I buy the starter. Besudes I did restart the game a lot already so I though "can't be too hard". My main question is simply "Is it worth the platinum or not" but so far it seems the general consensus is not so I'm having some more thoughts about this.

It's mostly grinding at least but eh!

Edited by Darghel
phone being phone

27 minutes ago, Darghel said:

Yikes, that was what I feared. I did like the game but I did eventually quit, but the requisites seem doable (no eureka or borsnia...borsha? can't type that). I'll have to think this through some more...

I don't have a ps5 and I don't have all the exp on console... So the idea was to start anew, especially since I have no real intentions to return to the game, other than to have a possible UR platinum (I played for 8 years, since 2.0, but i've had enough since it's an expense and I just don't care about mmorpgs anymore). Was hoping the trial would give trophies even if 60 but seems like not unless I buy the starter. Besudes I did restart the game a lot already so I though "can't be too hard". My main question is simply "Is it worth the platinum or not" but so far it seems the general consensus is not so I'm having some more thoughts about this.

It's mostly grinding at least but eh!

Well if you're just doing the PS4 version, all you would need to buy is the base game and import your character. Starting fresh would be pointless if you don't plan to continue, it would just be a big grind (6 months due to leves), but using an established character to log in and wrap up all the ARR trophies in a month is worth it imo.

That is assuming you have 1000 leves completed or close on your established character.

Edited by sepheroithisgod

11 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Well if you're just doing the PS4 version, all you would need to buy is the base game and import your character. Starting fresh would be pointless if you don't plan to continue, it would just be a big grind, but using an established character to log in and wrap up all the ARR trophies in a month is worth it imo.

Remember the PS4 and 5 versions have very different lists. 

@PraiseTheFluppi above was saying the same about possibly using my account, but in that case my biggest issue would be to buy the whole game up to SHB and that might be more expensive than I thought. Infact an idea i was having was to play the trial, which is free, and do the stuff on the trial, then buy the starter edition and finish off what i need with it (i can see myself having trouble with Coil because even at 60 is almost impossible to solo it).

Time or grinding isn't what worries me (again, it's no eureka or the sequel: if it was I wouldn't even be here asking) or doing solo POTD or HoH, but the money. Cause I really don't have the motivation to sink more money into mmorpgs anymore. Beyond that, I could try though as I was looking at my achievements list (apparently I've done over 3000 fates! but crafting is very behind..makes sense since I wasn't much of a crafter, even though I got all 80 crafters and gatherers), but I'd have to look for info first.

Edited by Darghel

9 minutes ago, Darghel said:

@PraiseTheFluppi above was saying the same about possibly using my account, but in that case my biggest issue would be to buy the whole game up to SHB and that might be more expensive than I thought. Infact an idea i was having was to play the trial, which is free, and do the stuff on the trial, then buy the starter edition and finish off what i need with it (i can see myself having trouble with Coil because even at 60 is almost impossible to solo it).

Time or grinding isn't what worries me (again, it's no eureka or the sequel: if it was I wouldn't even be here asking) or doing solo POTD or HoH, but the money. Cause I really don't have the motivation to sink more money into mmorpgs anymore. Beyond that, I could try though, but I'd have to look for info first.

You don't need to buy all of the expansions for the PS4 list. All you would need to buy is the starter edition, which should also give you one month of time. And for reference, I bought shadowbringers for $16 on a sale which includes everything available minus the new expansion launching next week.

If you happen to be logged in to an expansion area, you can just log onto your PC and move your character to an ARR area. Remember the sub allows you to use any platform.

16 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

You don't need to buy all of the expansions for the PS4 list. All you would need to buy is the starter edition, which should also give you one month of time. And for reference, I bought shadowbringers for $16 on a sale which includes everything available minus the new expansion launching next week.

If you happen to be logged in to an expansion area, you can just log onto your PC and move your character to an ARR area. Remember the sub allows you to use any platform.

Wouldn't that be impossible with me being 80? I could potentially move to another area sure, but if I buy a starter edition then I could probably not log in with my main character on console

And you say I would only need to buy shadowbringers? Not the starter edition? I don't understand how this works since I've bought all expansions on day 1 so I never had to buy "bundles": in my case I'd have to buy shadowbringers only? Or both starter and SHB? I have neither on console.

Edited by Darghel

16 minutes ago, Darghel said:

Wouldn't that be impossible with me being 80? I could potentially move to another area sure, but if I buy a starter edition then I could probably not log in with my main character on console

And you say I would only need to buy shadowbringers? Not the starter edition? I don't understand how this works since I've bought all expansions on day 1 so I never had to buy "bundles": in my case I'd have to buy shadowbringers only? Or both starter and SHB?

I did not say you need shadowbringers, I simply mentioned that it is cheap on sales, let me make it really clear.

For the PS4 list, all you need is the starter edition. This includes the base game and HW.

You can log into this version with a level 80 character, but you will be limited to the content available in the starter edition.

The only issue you might encounter is if your character was logged into an expansion area you do not own. In this case, the game will tell you you cannot log in. all you have to do is log in on your PC (which you own the expansions for) and teleport to an ARR area. Then you can login on PS4.

The trophies that you need to read up on before starting are the 1000 leve quests. If you haven't already done this or can't do it within one month, well that might make you not want to do this and stick to the free trial. The other trophy to keep an eye out on is for beating ARR. I'm not sure if you can trigger the trophy with a generic quest or it has to be an MSQ quest. In that case, you might need to start a new character and blitz through the base game.

Other than those, you just need to do an activity once to pop the trophies (i.e do a fate and all fate-related trophies will pop).

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I did not say you need shadowbringers, I simply mentioned that it is cheap on sales, let me make it really clear.

For the PS4 list, all you need is the starter edition. This includes the base game and HW.

You can log into this version with a level 80 character, but you will be limited to the content available in the starter edition.

The only issue you might encounter is if your character was logged into an expansion area you do not own. In this case, the game will tell you you cannot log in. all you have to do is log in on your PC (which you own the expansions for) and teleport to an ARR area. Then you can login on PS4.

The trophies that you need to read up on before starting are the 1000 leve quests. If you haven't already done this or can't do it within one month, well that might make you not want to do this and stick to the free trial. The other trophy to keep an eye out on is for beating ARR. I'm not sure if you can trigger the trophy with a generic quest or it has to be an MSQ quest. In that case, you might need to start a new character and blitz through the base game.

Other than those, you just need to do an activity once to pop the trophies (i.e do a fate and all fate-related trophies will pop).

Right now I understood, so even if I have a 80 character the only issue would be unable to get around the zones beyond HW because of the lack of expansions. But are you sure that even with a starter edition only I can play with my 80? Wouldn't it lock me out because of the levels?

As for the leve quests it seems I've done quite a few of them (i got the achievement for 500 crafting ones, 200 for gathering and 50 for combat (probably during the Atma relic, when I was grinding for gems), so that's about 700+ leves done but not sure if all of them count for the 1000 completion or just one type is required. If it counts then that's good.

As for the msq...yeah that might be problematic cause I'm not sure if I got through 5.3 or not, my memory is very hazy. I think I glanced through aftet 5.3 so I might be done...i wonder if ng+ could proc it though. 

I'm honestly considering logging on my pc and get these leves and stuff done there before even trying. If the levels don't stop me that is. At least I can craft and gather easier on pc (and glamour prisms are always easy to make and can deal quite a lot of money. Especially when I'm on an RP server!). I'll go and think about it some more before attempting this: it seems it's simply more valuable to just go on pc and finish my stuff there. Maybe making an alt and going through the whole game until the end could be doable. 

I'll think about it next year perhaps: the expansion is coming out soon and I have no intention to bother with it, but having the platinum for the ps4 version could be a nice send off for me since I have some fond memories of ARR, probably my favorite gaming time around there. Maybe if I get the ps5 version I could get a stack up too! Thanks for your info, I'll give it some thought for now.

Edited by Darghel

On 26.11.2021 at 11:36 AM, richxrdgriffin said:

I'd recommend the game, and I'd recommend the platinum if you enjoy the game. Playing a game that requires 6 months for the platinum just for another 100% sounds obscene to me. You could platinum an absolute tonne of far easier and quicker games during that period if trophies are what you want, lol.

you dont play this game for 6 months straight though

i always only subbed for 1 month, then letting it run out and make sure i have 0 leve quests left. as these refill even when you are not subbed. knowing this and that you get 6 leve quests per day, you then know that you have 16 days to play other games until you have ~100 level quests again. and you can do this every month, so you only need to sub for 3-4 months

30 days x 6 level quests = 180 per month

you start with 100 leve quests 

1. month 180 (total 280)

waiting 16 days 100 (total 380)

2. month 180 (total 560)

waiting 16 days 100 (total 660)

3. month 180 (total 840)

waiting 16 days 100 (total 940)

4. month 180 (total 1120 after 4 months)

i feel like the only reason people keep saying it takes over 6 months is to scare new players off from the game so the platinum stays rare

Edited by Jigsaw
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jigsaw said:

i always only subbed for 1 month, then letting it run out and make sure i have 0 leve quests left. as these refill even when you are not subbed. knowing this and that you get 6 leve quests per day, you then know that you have 16 days to play other games until you have ~100 level quests again. and you can do this every month, so you only need to sub for 3-4 months

1. month 180 (total 280)

2. month 180 (total 560)

3. month 180 (total 840)

i feel like the only reason people keep saying it takes over 6 months is to scare new players off from the game so the platinum stays rare

This is how I did it ?

Seems kind of crazy to me to plat this if you are not into the game. I played almost daily for 6 months and got the PS4 plat, still a huge grind to go for the PS5 plat the thing is I love this game, for me it's a 10/10 so I have had a blast playing it. If you don't enjoy the game it seems crazy to do just for trophies.

It's the longest plat on my account by miles and it's not even that rare.

Edited by tpepper1985

3 hours ago, tpepper1985 said:

Seems kind of crazy to me to plat this if you are not into the game. I played almost daily for 6 months and got the PS4 plat, still a huge grind to go for the PS5 plat the thing is I love this game, for me it's a 10/10 so I have had a blast playing it. If you don't enjoy the game it seems crazy to do just for trophies.

It's the longest plat on my account by miles and it's not even that rare.

I was told that I can use my 8 year old account for it, so potentially cutting all the 4-5 months grind into possibly 1 (I was at 750 leves and I already did over 3000 fates). The crafting maybe could be annoying but all I would need to do is mining the stuff and should be done. 

Honestly I'm more worried about soloing coil, since that content is pretty much dead and finding a group was a pain unless someone needed it for WT. Other than that, it seems doable if I dig up my old account. True I don't like the game anymore, but if I can potentially use my account for something, it could be useful and it's an easy plat for me. But I'm probably going to do this next year when the game pop has calmed down (is expansion coming or came out already?)

Edited by Darghel

1 hour ago, Jigsaw said:

if you pre ordered it , then yes, the early access started today.

Ah good to know, I thought it was already out (last time I heard it was november, didn't know they delayed it).

I'll probably just wait a couple of months then: thanks for the information.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/2/2021 at 6:13 AM, Jigsaw said:

1. month 180 (total 280)

2. month 180 (total 560)

3. month 180 (total 840)

You do not start with 100, don't know where you got that from. When I started in july, I started with 0. It takes 5 months and 2 weeks to get it done. Plus or minus a few days. They cap in just over 2 weeks, so you have to stay subbed to make sure to not cap or it just takes longer.

Edited by JNSpradlin