RedDevil757

Dualsense Repair

11 posts in this topic

My launch day dualsense controller has gained a problem. I've not opened it up yet but it feels like the haptic feedback on the right side has snapped off inside. It's never been dropped or anything so it's surprised me that it's failed.

I've had a look on YouTube and a quick look on Google but I can't really find any information about fixing this. I'm guessing it'll be held by pins and one has snapped? Gluing it won't fix the problem for long will it?

Anyone got any experience in fixing a problem like this? Or the dualsense controller in general? Any links to where I can buy parts (UK)?

I need to see the inside of it first. I don't have a DualSense but it likely is a pin mechanism. 

I had the same problem, but didn't risk opening it up. I just sent it to Sony and they repaired it for me. 

13 minutes ago, happyman778 said:

I had the same problem, but didn't risk opening it up. I just sent it to Sony and they repaired it for me. 

They'll probably charge me since I've had it over a year now

14 minutes ago, CelestialRequiem said:

I need to see the inside of it first. I don't have a DualSense but it likely is a pin mechanism. 

I'll have a look at it tomorrow and take some pics. Need to find a video on how the take it apart first

55 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

They'll probably charge me since I've had it over a year now

I'll have a look at it tomorrow and take some pics. Need to find a video on how the take it apart first

It's a very easy repair. Its the spring on the trigger. Both of my launch DualSenses have failed. Which is appalling given that I've played 95% of the time on PS4 games. The only ones that really put the haptic to the test were Astro and Ratchet on PS5.

In any case, the springs are quite cheap, I got a 10 pack for about $10 from eBay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/373552726057

There are lots of sellers, so depending on where you are there may be cheaper options or smaller lots (but I assume this won't be the last repair). Just make sure you get DualSense not DualShock springs, as the angle is different.

Opening the DS is easy, there are a few screws and then you need to gently pry out the black trim piece to open the 2 halves. The R2 spring is pretty easy to locate, but it does help to have a second pair of hands to hold the controller so you can use tweezers to drop the new spring in place. I would say it is a 10-15 minute repair tops.

I can't remember exactly which video I watched, but one of these should work

9 hours ago, diskdocx said:

It's a very easy repair. Its the spring on the trigger.

Really? Because the triggers feel fine. It feels like the haptic feedback is loose inside the right of the controller shell

I know this is likely not the issue, and you have probably done so already, but I feel like someone should at least do the due diligence by asking - have you tried resetting the controller, and re-installing the firmware, on the off-change it's a software issue, rather than a hardware one?

12 hours ago, diskdocx said:

It's a very easy repair. Its the spring on the trigger. Both of my launch DualSenses have failed. Which is appalling given that I've played 95% of the time on PS4 games. The only ones that really put the haptic to the test were Astro and Ratchet on PS5.

In any case, the springs are quite cheap, I got a 10 pack for about $10 from eBay

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/373552726057

There are lots of sellers, so depending on where you are there may be cheaper options or smaller lots (but I assume this won't be the last repair). Just make sure you get DualSense not DualShock springs, as the angle is different.

Opening the DS is easy, there are a few screws and then you need to gently pry out the black trim piece to open the 2 halves. The R2 spring is pretty easy to locate, but it does help to have a second pair of hands to hold the controller so you can use tweezers to drop the new spring in place. I would say it is a 10-15 minute repair tops.

I can't remember exactly which video I watched, but one of these should work

I can second this. Much easier than sending it back in and it's fairly straightforward. 

3 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Really? Because the triggers feel fine. It feels like the haptic feedback is loose inside the right of the controller shell

I may have misunderstood - the haptic doesn't work well when the R2 spring breaks, but my R2 was definitely loose as well.

In any case, it is pretty easy to open the controller, I don't think it would hurt to have a look around and see. Perhaps there is a different spring in your case. I'm not sure if that would by DIY or not.

Alternatively since the controller is just barely over a year, you could try contacting Sony and see if they will help.

2 hours ago, diskdocx said:

I may have misunderstood - the haptic doesn't work well when the R2 spring breaks, but my R2 was definitely loose as well.

In any case, it is pretty easy to open the controller, I don't think it would hurt to have a look around and see. Perhaps there is a different spring in your case. I'm not sure if that would by DIY or not.

Alternatively since the controller is just barely over a year, you could try contacting Sony and see if they will help.

I'm confused are you talking about the Haptics or the Adaptive triggers? Haptics are the vibration motors in the handles of the controller, those wouldn't break very easily...whereas the adaptive triggers have been shown to use cheap plastic parts and there's been a lot of reports of them failing.

On 25/11/2021 at 3:54 PM, Viper said:

I'm confused are you talking about the Haptics or the Adaptive triggers? Haptics are the vibration motors in the handles of the controller, those wouldn't break very easily...whereas the adaptive triggers have been shown to use cheap plastic parts and there's been a lot of reports of them failing.

I was talking about the haptics

Anyways. I took the controller apart. Had a good look around and found nothing obviously wrong. Put it back together and it's working perfectly again. Which has just confused me more lol