Playstation Home is apparently back online.

Breakingthegreen

As the title states. This was made possible due to a team of fans working on resurrecting the experience over many years. I am unaware if trophies can be earned on it at the moment. But even if they aren't I'm sure someone here gets a kick out of hearing this news.

News article below

https://mp1st.com/news/playstation-home-is-back-online-this-2021-thanks-to-fans

EDIT

According to some outlets, the servers aren't online yet such as eurogamer

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-25-fans-restore-motorstorm-online-servers-playstation-home-next

Edited by breakingthegreen

15 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

It's likely a closed server so won't be allowed here, plus it's partially from the same people who brought Warhawk and KIllzone 2 back so trophies will almost certainly be disabled.

the trophies are not necessarily disabled, they are only in the testing phase and in the future it will be possible to obtain trophies, as I understand it.

11 minutes ago, SpaceCoresDad said:

With all these old servers re-opening, I think it might be worth looking at those rules about closed servers again. It's a shame to have these things become available only for it to be useless specifically for the realm of trophy hunting.

ultimately, if you really want to play one of these "forbidden" games, do it.

don't limit yourself to the rules of the leaderboard, it's not worth anything anymore. this is just personal advice. at some point i plan to play one of these games, and failing to play what i want because of an internet site seems very alienating, i'm starting to wonder about that.

2 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

the trophies are not necessarily disabled, they are only in the testing phase and in the future it will be possible to obtain trophies, as I understand it.

ultimately, if you really want to play one of these "forbidden" games, do it.

don't limit yourself to the rules of the leaderboard, it's not worth anything anymore. this is just personal advice. at some point i plan to play one of these games, and failing to play what i want because of an internet site seems very alienating, i'm starting to wonder about that.

Yeah, definitely. I’d just highly recommend playing on an account not tied to your financial information since you’re essentially trusting strangers who will not show what their servers are doing with your information. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

This is good advice, though I don't think it should necessarily be a contributing factor in the determination of whether trophies on these servers should be considered 'cheating' or 'illegitimate' vis-a-vis the leaderboard.

While I agree entirely with what you are saying as sound advice and good practice for people to take heed of, it isn't really the purview of PSNProfiles to create rules for their leaderboards simply to protect their users from themselves with regards to financial security / privacy issues on the internet at large.

In the end, if a trophy can be earned by doing what the trophy requirements are, then I fail to see any real logic in considering them to be 'cheated'.

(though, please don't let this turn into a 'Run like the Wind' debate - that one has been litigated so much there is only a vaguely equine skeleton remaining.)

In the end, while protecting your financial security is important, and worthy of discussion, the site would never decide to consider a games trophies to be 'illegitimate' if there was a security leak related to those games' official servers - which is not something that is out of the question these days either. :dunno:

The financial bit was just my suggestion, and your right, too many people are going to latch on to that bit and miss that actual point that these fans could easily code in instant trophy triggers that are hidden, while allowing people people to also complete the intended actions to unlock trophies. 

I’ll remove that bit from my original post. 

4 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

The financial bit was just my suggestion, and your right, too many people are going to latch on to that bit and miss that actual point that these fans could easily code in instant trophy triggers that are hidden, while allowing people people to also complete the intended actions to unlock trophies. 

That's a fair point - though also worth remembering that that kind of "instant trophy triggers" exist in official games too - albeit accidentally - in the form of dev console access left in the code (Subnautica /Jak II (I think?)/ The Pedestrian - to name but a few) - and those trophies remain 'legitimate' in the eyes of the site - even when use of them is obvious on a profile. 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

That's a fair point - though also worth remembering that that kind of "instant trophy triggers" exist in official games too - albeit accidentally - in the form of dev console access left in the code (Subnautica /Jak II (I think?)/ The Pedestrian - to name but a few) - and those trophies remain 'legitimate' in the eyes of the site - even when use of them is obvious on a profile. 

Sure. One is from the actual developers and ships in the code with the game, the other isn’t. If the leaderboard starts allowing them from anyone who codes instant trophy unlocks, what’s the difference between a fan server that does it and just using a trophy unlock service/mod menu?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Sure. One is from the actual developers and ships in the code with the game, the other isn’t. If the leaderboard starts allowing them from anyone who codes instant trophy unlocks, what’s the difference between a fan server that does it and just using a trophy unlock service/mod menu?

It's bit of grey area, is all I'm saying - I know the idea is essentially, "Official code" vs. "Unofficial code", which feels very cut and dried, but it strays into a lot of muddy water when you start thinking about it in terms of 'legitimacy' of trophy achievement. It's a tricky argument whether a dev console access, accidentally left in an official code, is "legitimate", but a revived server isn't, or where official code is patched, changing trophy requirements by accident or making them unobtainable etc, but 'unofficial' methods exist to downgrade back to the 'trophy achievable' version (I'm thinking of FFXV Comrades, though there are probably others...)

I mean, I assume the difference is considered to be 'availability' - official code is available for everyone to use, while unofficial code could be limited to certain people - however, that also gets a little sticky in instances where, say, an official game has an unobtainable trophy at launch, which is later patched to be available.

One could argue that that is also not necessarily available to everyone, as it requires that the player access the patch to download it etc. :dunno:

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Bumperklever said:

I think psnp takes can only be based of the trophy part and potentially foul play. Security is an important thing but in the end it's the end users responsibility to know the risk. 

I wonder if the CRT can work together with PSONE to validate certain servers for trophy Hunting. though they (PSONE) have been picky regarding trophies in the past. 

In that sense it doesn't have to be open, (what PSONE wants) but also gives enough info on foul play of trophies (what CRT wants) 

Let's be honest, if the owner of this site does not even care about his site ... I doubt that he will do something like this, you just have to see how the HusKy user is the one in charge of giving it a little life and maintenance to this site with external tools (as if it hacked) so that we are a little up to date.

Edited by WaddysWDS
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

The rule is that the code that runs these new (“re-opened” is a bit of a misnomer that implies they're officially opened again from the original developer) servers must provide the code online so that anyone can review the code for foul play from a trophy standpoint. 

You’re saying this rule should be looked at again and fan servers that don’t allow people to see what they’re doing should be allowed, specifically for the sake of obtaining trophies?

The what constitutes a flag page probably needs to be updated to reflect the stance on closed source servers, since it has been brought up a lot recently

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The what constitutes a flag page probably needs to be updated to reflect the stance on closed source servers, since it has been brought up a lot recently

I think it’s covered here:

• Don't modify in-game or server environment. Trophies must be earned in the same manner as when the official servers were online.

The method to cover this scenario is currently to be open source so that it can be verified that it accomplishes this. I’d hate to have it updated to an overly prescribed requirement listed if any equally successful method is proposed in the future.

It seems that the people that should benefit from an update to the rules are just as likely to only pick out and overt emphasize the parts they want to, such as “trophies must be earned in the same manner…” and ignore the other parts “Don’t modify in-game or server environment.”

Looking at the Home trophy list, it has things tied to purchases. Now I never played Home myself but weren't these DLC that had to be gotten from PSN itself?

I'm pretty sure you can't emulate removed DLC from the store in the same way, and Home itself also took into consideration stuff earned from early PS3 games like Uncharted.

42 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I think it’s covered here:

The method to cover this scenario is currently to be open source so that it can be verified that it accomplishes this. I’d hate to have it updated to an overly prescribed requirement listed if any equally successful method is proposed in the future.

It seems that the people that should benefit from an update to the rules are just as likely to only pick out and overt emphasize the parts they want to, such as “trophies must be earned in the same manner…” and ignore the other parts “Don’t modify in-game or server environment.”

Unfortunately due to the lack of it specifically mentioning the terms open source or closed source is not helping things. You still get threads about it on psnprofiles, and I see constant threads on the ps3 subreddit arguing that closed source ones are fine because Sly said in a 2018 post on here that fan servers were fine

• Like 1