[Suggestion] Reputation for flagging illegitimate profiles

16 hours ago, Helyx said:

It's true, I put about as much effort into my response as Detroit puts into their football matches.

16 hours ago, Paperclip1776 said:

I respectfully disagree.  The Detroit Lion's put in a lot of effort but stink, you just...

The Detroit Lions players may have checked up on this thread yesterday and got galvanized by your words of encouragement my friends, they just happened to win their first football game of the season thanks to a last second touchdown pass, on Week 13 after 10 losses and 1 draw. 

Moral of the story : no matter how hard times may seem, it gets better eventually. ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PlutoRico said:

The Detroit Lions players may have checked up on this thread yesterday and got galvanized by your words of encouragement my friends, they just happened to win their first football game of the season thanks to a last second touchdown pass, on Week 13 after 10 losses and 1 draw. 

Moral of the story : no matter how hard times may seem, it gets better eventually. 1f44d.png

I'm just trying to do my part to help out.  @Helyx disagreed with my position on this thread and for whatever reason thought it was relevant/appropriate to attack me for having a Detroit Lion's football as my profile pic.

#DetroitLionsSweetRevenge

• Like 2

On 2021-12-04 at 1:46 PM, Kishnabe said:

No. User with this high reputation will get harassed by scorned cheaters. 

Retaliation like SnowxSakura mentioned. 

If anything, it might decrease reporting. 

I completely agree. I don’t really have much interest in going through profiles to try to find games to catch cheaters, but when I do see leaderboards with the fastest earners being seconds, usually Vita games, and those profiles have dozens of clearly hacked games, I’m happy to report those for removal.

A system like this would encourage me to stop reporting. People are just going to assume that the points come from people being petty and it will create further divisions within the community. 

While I think the OP meant well with the suggestion, it’s still logistically a bad idea.

Edited by diskdocx
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PlutoRico said:

The Detroit Lions players may have checked up on this thread yesterday and got galvanized by your words

If shit-talking Detroit was all it took to spur them to victory, they'd be 12-0.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:01 AM, steel6burgh said:

there is no integrity in the leaderboards. There is no point in the leaderboards period so long as 30 second to 30 minute platinums continue to exist and are counted toward the leaderboards.  Worrying so much about someone possibly cheating is also pointless until a real leaderboard that has some sort of value is implemented.   Asides from this cheaters are caught on here every day i'd say they're doing a pretty good  job monitoring it as it is.  Rewarding people for being constant profile snitches isn't necessary.   

I couldn't of said this any better myself. It's so refreshing to hear someone else say it, because sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy who rants on this stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

I couldn't of said this any better myself. It's so refreshing to hear someone else say it, because sometimes I feel like I'm the only guy who rants on this stuff.

Seriously? Sometimes I feel like every other topic is talking about how the PSNP leaderboard is trash and how easy plats are destroying trophy hunting. It has died down a bit now the weekly rant topics about the easiest of easy plats are locked on sight, but there are hundreds and hundreds of forums users who will seize every opportunity to stress these exact points. Unfortunately that is usually followed by shitposting and yet another topic getting locked (to make sure that trolls not only win the leaderboards but the forum as well).

Trophy hunting is dead, long live trophy hunting.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 3

I personally don't come here for the leaderboards, mostly for the reasons previously mentioned by others...and yes in the past I was guilty of some questionable quick plats but I have been trying to do better this year and my backlog of 40+ games are now much more difficult... the only reason I really come here is for the information available and statistics

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, craig_obviously said:

I personally don't come here for the leaderboards, mostly for the reasons previously mentioned by others...and yes in the past I was guilty of some questionable quick plats but I have been trying to do better this year and my backlog of 40+ games are now much more difficult... the only reason I really come here is for the information available and statistics

It's not a question of having to play "hard" games, because even that category has some shitty games. Easy or hard play what you enjoy. My hobby is not and never will be a job to climb a meaningless leaderboard by playing pure garbage all the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Seriously? Sometimes I feel like every other topic is talking about how the PSNP leaderboard is trash and how easy plats are destroying trophy hunting. It has died down a bit now the weekly rant topics about the easiest of easy plats are locked on sight, but there are hundreds and hundreds of forums users who will seize every opportunity to stress these exact points. Unfortunately that is usually followed by shitposting and yet another topic getting locked (to make sure that trolls not only win the leaderboards but the forum as well).

Trophy hunting is dead, long live trophy hunting.

Why do you think I stopped posting on those threads in the Breakthrough Arcade forums? Almost every single post I made on them was either hidden or edited to avoid inflammatory remarks.

The leaderboard is a joke. Even with my piss poor budget and ever decreasing free time due to work and family, I can easily gobble up a bunch of these games and gain a couple thousand ranks up on the leaderboards, even at my current rank of 6059. It's simply quantity over quality.

If the Sam & Max games I'm playing were released today, each episode would get a platinum. That's basically a given, so the standards have definitely declined.

Of course you know the rarity leaderboards have been brought up over a thousand times, but every time someone goes thru the effort to make an actual decent suggestion it immediately gets shut down by people who think it's going to actually separate the community even further.

I don't bother. I can't imagine being a part of the Cheater Removal Team on this website, and having to deal with all the dimwitted morons in the Disputes forums. That's when you know trophy hunting is taken a bit too seriously.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 4

I can't believe this has been up for 11 days and I've only just seen it. However not only is it a stupid idea, but also probably impossible, this website uses forum software licensed by a third party, this kind of reputation is likely not possible to add to a profile, only the current built in positive reputation would be possible. Aside from that the whole point of flagging is anonymity to the person who reports the list, this is going to cause flagged members to harass and attack the person that they can confirm to be the reporter. You're creating more problems than solving, as others have mentioned it'd deter people from reporting lists if they're exposed as a wrongful reporter or harassed for being the one who reports. The CRT get enough hate and harassment as it is, your idea will offload a lot of that hate onto regular members who think they're doing the right thing. Although this site will never have another suggestion from a member implemented to it, this was definitely going to be far down on the list of suggestions for consideration. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 3

I think, people who care and are willing to help will report cheaters regardless of reputation points or other benefits. It's just the way of being part of such a community.

But I like the idea of getting some feedback about reports for users (is it already handled and is it approved or declined). Also it might be useful for CRT as kind of "trust points", to see if someone is more attentive and reporting actual cheaters or just reporting everything suspicious.

• Like 1

Seems like it's a sniff of a good idea, but I don't think it will work. You'll be promoting the fact that you've reported someone and possibly even have THAT turned into a leaderboard in itself (See how many flags you can get).

I fear it may spur on people to just 'flag anyway' - or [reward?] people for the wrong reasons.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 0:01 PM, steel6burgh said:

there is no integrity in the leaderboards. There is no point in the leaderboards period so long as 30 second to 30 minute platinums continue to exist and are counted toward the leaderboards.  Worrying so much about someone possibly cheating is also pointless until a real leaderboard that has some sort of value is implemented.   Asides from this cheaters are caught on here every day i'd say they're doing a pretty good  job monitoring it as it is.  Rewarding people for being constant profile snitches isn't necessary.   

Which is why I love VR trophy hunting. No easy 30 second plats to be found. 

• Like 2

I'm more of a lurker on here, but I help run several large online communities each with custom feedback systems that have been modified over the years in response to how the community used them so figured I'd weigh in on this one.

While it'd be a nice acknowledgement to the people who help out the CRT by actively flagging content (I don't know if there are regulars who specifically do this) I feel that it could have a negative impact on the way people go about using the trophy report system and the forum in general. Having that little pink number visible under all their posts is likely to see behavioural changes akin to: 

• People treating the system as a game and actively hunting for people to report in order to raise their number. Arguably might not be too much of an issue on a site like PSNP that seems to consist mostly of adults (just my own observation I could be wrong), but after working on sites with a lot of teenagers and vulnerable adults I've found people can get a little obsessive over trying to raise their rep in hopes that it makes them look good to the site staff and regulars in the community.
  • People being too anxious to report illegitimate trophies because they don't want their rep to plummet in case they are wrong. Someone whose rep goes into the negative may feel embarrassed and deterred from using the the forum. This situation could lead to (a) people deciding to turn a blind eye to cheated trophies they see and (b) members silently moving accounts to try and continue using the forum without their previous rep hanging over them. From a quick glance at the rules I can't tell if alternate accounts are acceptable on PSNP, but if a rep system with some weight behind it is implemented (versus the existing rep system which is more or less an arbitrary number) then it may need to be something that then needs to be moderated more heavily. 
  • People noticing the change in these numbers publicly and making attempts to identify who reported them which could lead to inflammatory behaviour = more work for mods, joy.

If something more public that incentivises users to report trophies was to be used then a new user group (e.g. "contributors", "super member", etc) might be a better way to go about it than a second reputation system, because it wouldn't have the drawbacks of negative reputation or users trying to hunt down who reported them. Although you would need to be careful to do this in a way that doesn't have them confused with site staff, so you wouldn't want the title to sound too formal. Alternatively, for something more subtle a little badge on their forum profile page (rather than in the postbit like OP was suggesting) could be a nice way to acknowledge users who actively help the CRT without making it into too big a deal or something that people actively set out to achieve. 

Someone above mentioned giving users feedback in some way on how their report progressed and I think that could also be a good idea. In the communities I help out with, we have the options to send a notification to the user(s) who reported something that simply reads "Your report ____ was resolved/rejected. Reason: [optional short message explaining why]". Before we had that we would just drop them a quick forum PM if we felt a need to follow-up with them. Even just a quick "thanks for bringing this to our attention" or "we didn't find anything out of the ordinary here" can make people feel that their time to report something was appreciated.  

TL;DR: I don't think a separate public reputation system would work given it would have too many drawbacks, but alternatives to show appreciation to people who take the time to help the CRT could be worth considering.

Edited by Vrisnem
  • Like 2