PSNP 2021 Year End Awards

My nominations:

Piece of Cake Award: Goes to Sakura Swim Club. The raunchiest visual novel I ever played and despite having some bronzes, it's so easy to platinum as your choices do not matter, you will get the platinum no matter what you answer. :P

It's Like Dark Souls Award: I didn't play this game on my main account but I played enough of The Binding of Issac Afterbirth+ to know it's not friendly with RNG. Also, even though I didn't play it, I would put The Binding of Isaac Repentance as I saw Sinvicta play through the new bosses so many times to know that I would get creamed into a bloody paste by the new bosses and the new challenges. :(

Bad Ass Award: I'd say my badass moment was finally getting the RYNO EXTREME into Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart and watching Sly Cooper slam down from a rift and destroying everyone. Here's to the rumors being true of Sly Cooper getting one more game in 2022! ^_^

Grinds of the Year: I haven't gotten the platinum for it yet, but FFXIV put me through the grinds. Having to grind a zillion Ifrit Runs to get Thrillseeker IV and crafting 5000 collectibles in the Firmament for Made to Order IV were taxing, and now I have to focus to get 5000 more gathering collectibles for Livin' off the Land IV and get over 480 FATEs for Destiny's Child to get the platinum, and with the ultra-long queues booting you out after half an hour due to the servers getting clogged, FFXIV is going to be a super grind for those last sets of trophies. Luckily, those grinds are the last trophies I need for the platinum. The Endwalker DLC trophies, however... :(

Finally Done Award: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, not because it took me forever to play, it's just that I put off playing it until now. I guess the server crashes in FFXIV helped me put my priorities into perspective and FINALLY get that game platinumed. :D

King of the Internet Award: Goes to FFXIV again, especially picking up the new jobs Reaper and Sage and playing around with them. I have gotten Reaper to Level 77 and will eventually go back into the story. But the award goes to the entire MSQ, from the very beginning when Cisi Arashi met some moogles on the road to Gridania to register as an adventurer to the very end of Shadowbringers. :)

Worst Online Experience: *points up at the last parts* FFXIV servers melting because of Endwalker release, I can't get on the game until after midnight. :(

Best Music: Do I really need to repeat myself? FFXIV, and the La-hee of Rat'ika Greatwood as I was mining Rarefied Manasilver Sand.

Sleeper Hit of the Year: I can't give an award here because I haven't gotten much from digital sales, sorry.

Biggest Bomb of the Year: I really regret earning a trophy in Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition. I got hyped because of the FFXV crossover event in FFXIV and seeing Noctis in Eorzea that I bought and put a trophy into this game because I was told it was an easy platinum. Maybe I am giving it undeserved hate but I really don't feel like playing this game now that the event is over.

Best Trophy Image:  Heartless Hunter from Kingdom Hearts Final Mix since I started getting back into that game. That was the first trophy I earned in that game.

Worst Trophy Image: All of the trophies in the ZJ The Ball series, because they are just the title screen, copied and pasted and all of the trophies have the same image. Talk about being super-lazy!

Best Female Character: Rivet from Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart.

Best Male Character: Maxmillion from Dark Cloud 2.

Best Plat of the Year: Clearly Masters of the Multiverse. Even though I skipped the story and the game was super easy, it was fun to go through and just having to enter Challenge Mode just to buy the last two weapons was fun.

Wurst Plat of the Year: All five ZJ The Ball games. Having religious themes is a bit too much for my gaming experience.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2022: Maybe Hogwarts Legacy because it would be like Wizard101 in the Rowlingverse, or LEGO Star Wars: Skywalker Saga. (I had played a bit of The Force Awakens but never got into the LEGO Star Wars games as the only Star Wars movies I watched were the original trilogy.)

• Like 4

Glad to see so many people enjoy this thread. Finally caught up with all the reading and some interesting games. I also love the Finally Done awards. I thought i platted some old games this year...but some of you have me beat.

Also @Beyondthegrave07 glad you ended up liking Danganronpa. I agree 2 ends so well. I wasnt really liking the story up until that ending and then everything before it becomes even better. 

• Like 3

Piece of Cake:

S5f133b.png

You get the Plat playing through normally.

It's Like Dark Souls:

S38044f.png

High Road Time Relic.  I could have skipped it, but there came a point where I already spent too much time.  And I'm really stubborn.

Badass Award:

Sc73632.png

47S68c59f.png32S98ae12.png

Getting One Shot and Mercy or Prudence? was intense.

Grind of the Year:

Sb4d7ef.png

21S80467c.png

100 Million is a big number.  And there was the Stella Dungeon, but that an AFK trophy, so not really a grind, but I hated it.

Finally Done:

Sb4d7ef.png

6 Years, 1 Month

King of the Internet:

S9484fb.png

It was fun fighting bosses.  And I love the Lady Maria fight so much.

Worst Online Experience:

S359338.png

Assassin's Creed has the best multiplayer.  When everyone plays it right.  But when you get a bunch of kids running around like a chicken with their head cut off, it isn't a fun game of cat and mouse anymore.

Best Music:

S4dd49f.png

Spoiler

Sleeper Hit:

S7c0118.png

I only heard about this game because I saw a streamer playing it.  It's so good.

Biggest Bomb:

S046af4.png

I couldn't get into it.

Best Trophy Images:

S7c47f2.png

I really like the stained glass aesthetic.

Worst Trophy Images:

S333a69.png

8S4d0267.png7S2683cf.png2Sf1d47c.png1Sdd06d0.png

At least the Cold Steel will give you different medals.  These are all recolors.  Even the plat

Best Female Character:

Lailah | MBTI Enneagram | Personality Database (2021)

Best Male Character:

Yakuza 0 pfp - Avatar Abyss

Best Plat of the Year:

S9484fb.png

1S447489.png

Bloodborne is my favorite From game.  I love everything.  Lady Maria is one of my favorite fights of all time.  And the final boss is fantastic.  And the Orphan of Kos is so intense.

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer:

Sb4d7ef.png

1S7f7358.png

I've already mentioned it.  I hate the Stella Trophy.  There's a paid DLC you basically need.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2022:

S4dd49f.png

I'm going to learn how to play Mahjong.  Totally, definitely.

• Like 2

I enjoy these types of community discussion threads, so I went back to the events from previous years to see what my answers were and I found that I didn't post in most of them. Maybe next year you could tag all of us (maybe from the past 2 or 3 years) in the OP to make sure we see the new thread and can hop in with our opinions @Dr_Mayus.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Helyx said:

I enjoy these types of community discussion threads, so I went back to the events from previous years to see what my answers were and I found that I didn't post in most of them. Maybe next year you could tag all of us (maybe from the past 2 or 3 years) in the OP to make sure we see the new thread and can hop in with our opinions @Dr_Mayus.

That could be an idea for sure.

I do try to make a few status updates about it but December is a busy month.

@whodeygamer yes play Spiderman. It is really good

• Like 1

Piece of Cake Award:

1S16c687.png

The Pig D

Wow, what a game, sure its a stupidly easy platinum for $1.50 where all you do is hold the X button for 2-3 minutes , but in that time, I basically reflected on myself and where I'm currently at in my life, truly a game like this can make you wonder about things sometimes

It's Like Dark Souls:

S5e0263.png

Orc Slayer

The only reason this game is on the "It's like Dark Souls" section is because THIS GAME MEGA-ASS and thats why it took me a year and a half to plat it. God-awful Frames to where it lags when more then 2 enemies are on screen, terrible aiming, repetitive "music", and i literally charged through it near the last 2 levels of the game, I turned off music and went to town on the last levels and final boss and on October 30, 2021, I finally completed ORC SLAYER after starting it in July 2020

Bad-Ass Award:

S00a610.png

Finally mastering the "basic" moves of BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle

lemme say... I SUCK AT THESE GAMES, so when i finally got to start doing Cross Finishes & Crush Assaults and all that jazz, I felt like a living god, who knows how intense online matches can get

Grind of the Year:

Finally Beating Okumura-bitch ass in Persona 5 Royal

I Got my copy of P5R on November 20, 2020 and didn't beat it till November 7, 2021 and i would've probably beat it in early 2021 if it wasn't for this guy, he's the whole reason I stopped playing the game, i got to him in December 2020 and stopped playing cause (at the time) i could NOT beat him, then skip ahead to September 2021, a friend of mine gives me some advice on how to beat him, so i just go grinding for levels in mementos and wouldn't ya know it? I finally beat him, and literally 2 months later, I beat/platted the game

(also maruki kinda sucked at first, but then, it's kinda fun)

Finally Done:

S5e0263.png

Orc Slayer - 1 year, 3 months

I started his game on July 30, 2020 and finished it on October 30, 2021, this game sucked, thats why it took so long

King of the Internet:

Se96849.png

Knockout City

HOLY Shit... what a game.... I played the OPEN BETA in February with 2 of my buds and lemme say... THIS GAME WAS A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL OF FUN, then I bought the game the day it released, me and one of my friends get it, we play some of it, then I sorta just forgot about it cause it's not the 3 of us when the beta was out, then it becomes a PS+ game and one of my friends finally gets it and THE DREAM TEAM IS FINALLY BACK

Worst Online Experience:

S05e08a.png

TEKKEN 7

Now, don't get me wrong but this one is PERSONAL, just like i said with BlazBlue, basically any fighting game that isn't Smash Bros, I automatically suck at, but I had to do a few online trophies for this game and it was only a matter of luck that I happen to win a few matches, but I hated the online for this one, but JUMP FORCE from last years Awards was WAYYYYYYYYY WORSE then this will ever be, no wonder it's being shut down, good riddance...

Best Music:

S7ab92e.pngS95da7b.pngSe5d4ed.png

Sonic Colors: Ultimate | Persona 5 Royal | Terraria

There are 3 big hitters this year that I find to have some pretty good bangers

Sonic Colors: Ultimate - The music in this game is actually pretty damn good (which is pretty expected from Sonic Games) , I had the Wii version all those years ago, but i was a dimwit child and didn't even know what I was doing, but the music is great, it's up for debate whether the new remixes are good or nah, but I personally enjoy the remixes for some like Tropical Resort & Sweet Mountain, but I could care less for the new Reach for the Stars remix, I like the OG better

Persona 5 Royal - I'm pretty sure this was on last years list, but now that I have beat the game this year, the soundtrack for this game is TOP NOTCH, from the battle music, to suspenseful music, to cheerful music. All of it's great... especially the FINAL BOSS theme

Terraria - once again, another true maastapiece of a soundtrack, literally everything has it's own theme from overworld, to HELL, to the variety of biomes like desert, jungle, ocean and SPAAAAACE

Sleeper Hit of the Year:

S3ce211.png

A Way Out

There were a bunch of smaller games I could've put here, like (Super Animal Royale, Donut County, LEGO Movie: The Videogame & Ratchet & Clank 2016) just to name a few I considered, but i'm giving it to A Way Out, which is a very unique game and a damn good one at that, a friend bought and asked if i wanted to play with him, so i got that friend's pass and played it with him and it was a very interesting game, but that moment at the end, I won't spoil it, but I genuinely did not see that TWIST, because of my friend, I bought the game and platted it and now... I kinda want It Takes Two

Biggest Bomb(s) of the Year:

S5dde59.pngSe8af8b.png

Party Crashers & The Mean Greens

These shits were Garbage!!

Party Crashers - Awful game, trophies are pretty much broken and will probably never be fixed since no one gives a hoot about this game

The Mean Greens - shitty Toy Soldier Shooter game, you'll always play with bots or the other 3 to 4 people somehow playing this game,

but if i could...i'd plat them both

Best Trophy Image(s):

1S862621.png1S9ecdb6.png

Bugsnax & Terraria

I kinda like the simplicity of these, there just the simple platinum trophy, but Bugsnax's trophy put the little eyes on it and terraria's made it look terraria-style, but it used to be different, before the Journey's End update released, it used to be a generic yellow trophy with a star on it, but this looks much better

Worst Trophy Image:

1Sca1428.png

Tokyo Run

what a shitty plat image, legit just a screenshot of the game

Best Female Character(s):

Chie Satonaka & Yukiko Amagi (Persona 4 Dancing)

yeah I'm scraping the floor for these picks, i didn't play a lot of games with female representation, so Imma choose these 2, Chie & Yukiko from P4D, two of my favorites (personal preference), but i'm more of a Chie guy then Yukiko, but both are great

Best Male Character:

Kyle Crane (Dying Light)

There aren't a lot of games I played this year with a solid main character, but something about Kyle Crane from Dying Light stuck with me, he truly wants the infected of Harran gone for good, and he has to go through hell to do it and taking out Rai and his men, even though you really don't see him cause it's a 1st person game (and throughout the game, all you think about is Sonic talking in a serious matter cuz the same voice actor Roger Craig Smith) sad to see him gone in Dying Light 2, but he might be an easter egg, who knows

Best Plat of the Year:

1S9ecdb6.png

Terraria

I've platted a LOT of games this year, both good and not so good, but Terraria might take this year's Best Platinum I earned, but I think Terraria is the better plat cause it's more rare and I had some people assist with me on it, special thanks to those folks (mostly for the pets & armor and other grindy things) 

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer:

1Sca1428.png

Tokyo Run

Well...turns out the platinum Image isn't the only bad thing about this game, this is one of those games where you just run, collecting points and avoiding enemies and that's it, longer you run, more points you get -> more points you get, more trophies you earn

and thats why... Platinum #82: Tokyo Run is the wurst Platinum I earned the Teh Yeer 2021!!!

S7ab92e.pngSe96849.pngS05bebd.pngS6a8a56.pngS868069.png

I don't know what I'll platinum in 2022, but be certain that Sonic Colors: Ultimate, Knockout City, Fallout 76, Mafia: Definitive Edition & Among Us Will be platinumed in 2022

so yeah, hope you enjoyed, this took me like..a day to type actually!!

Edited by Exeshow678
  • Like 3

Piece of Cake Award - 塔亰Clanpool

L53cb76.png

No difficultly at all, no level up needed, Killed the last boss in first round and dont feel like thats the last boss... :E

Easiest DRPG I even played. Character design is good but not enjoyable cause its just too easy.

It’s Like Dark Souls - Entwined

L7164f5.png

Five challenge mode and get 300 score are harder than dark souls.

Have to control the bird and the fish both together with two analogs, its hard with my small hands.

Also yours eyes have to watch left and right side, move very quickly without a half second delay for 120,140 and 300second nonstop.

But feel good to see my score grows slowly during every practice. A beautiful game and love it.

Bad ass Reward  - Super Animal Royale

L4d426e.png

I dont play PVP games much, feel so bad when seeing players injured dying on ground and waiting for help.

But I still need to get my 20 melee kills to finish them. X_X

Grind of the Year - Wilmot's Warehouse

L1d39aa.png

Stock are all random. Most of the trophies need to get four same type of stock to unlock.

I have played at least 20 more runs to unlock the last four I need.

You never know the missing one will comes or not on the last round of restock till finish a whole run.

Finally done award - Tearaway Unfolded

La05aab.png

Got this from Plus since 2017, played the vita version already. Clean up finally.

Still good to play, but sure you will get mad if missing one confetti :D...

King of the Internet - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne

L740f82.png

Its a four years old game, been played for 5500hours and still playing everyday.

Good to see still many old and news players and meet lots of skillful players there.

Worst Online Experience -None

Best Music - Aaero

L2c0024.png

Actually its a music+shooting game. The Tracks and game play are so enjoyable also with boss fight. A Hidden Gem!

Best Sleeper Hit - Sea of Solitude

L781735.png

Got this from EAplay, the story is ok but the game play is crap and repeat...not fun and boring.

Biggest Bomb of the Year - X-Morph: Defense

Lcfdfa3.png

Got this from Plus, coop with my sis for all gold medals.

The game freezed with a horrible loud voice a few times in the middle of stage, I was scared my Ps4 is finished.

The last boss stage is bugged, the boss is not moving or dead. We tried for at least 3 nights with all method still cant be done.

Finally I have to replay all the stages for gold medal again by myself. Its a bomb for you and your PS4.

Best Trophy Image - Heavenly Bodies (A Classical Mechanic)

12La5458a.png

Love the stamp design and newtonican picture.

Worst Trophy Image - Rune Factory 4 Special (First Request Solved)

7Lc2e68c.png

what a lazy trophy image set...look at that resolution. :(

Best Female Character - Yakuza: Like A Dragon (Seong-hui)

chara.png

A leader and beautiful lady but cant get her into team. :')

Best Male Character - Yakuza: Like A Dragon (Yu Nanba)

chara.png

I like his story much, also cases high damage and good healer. :D

Best Plat of the Year - It Takes Two

Lf582d0.png

Very great level design and gameplay, lot of fun, Best GOTY coop game. :D

Worst Plat of the Year - X-Morph: Defense

Lcfdfa3.png

Like I said above, this buggy game took me three full playthoughts to get the plat.

I dont really want to play it again after the first run.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2022:  Hollow Knight: Silksong

header.jpg?t=1572306963

Been waiting for so long, hope its coming very soon. :(

• Like 2

Long time I don't see you guys... Okay, let's start:

The JoaoQuique's Piece of Cake Award goes to:

L2c68f9.pngL6706d7.png

L7a5d6c.pngL314ac0.png

Games by POWGI (PS4 & PS5)

These games are a lot easy (sometimes even if you aren't using a guide), have lots of stacks, and to make everything better, they're fun!! I'm even keeping "Gaps" on my PS5 until I complete every puzzle of the game.

Honorable Mention: Knight's Retreat (if you're using a video guide)

The JoaoQuique's It's Like Dark Souls Award goes to:

Lda35b8.png

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered (PS4)

Okay, this game is nothing compared to Souls-like games or stuff, but this game is the one I had used more "retries" to complete it...

The JoaoQuique's Badass Award goes to:

62L341a6b.png

"Duty Calls" event in Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered (PS4)

It's an event that requires you to run 10,8 km (6,6 miles) in about 1:56.00, while the game mode of this event penalizes you in some second for every hit you have... It took me about 20 retries to complete it, but I elect this moment for this award because I had fun with these tryings instead of being frustrated...

Honorable mentions: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (when I won a small tournament from the company I work), NBA 2k Playgrounds (when, while I was grinding for Level 50, I noticed that I would be able to get the trophy for winning a championship in the hardest difficulty)

The JoaoQuique's Grind of the Year Award goes to: 

L64266b.png

WRC 6 (PS4)

To get this Platinum, you're required to complete 5.000 km and 1.000 events - the problem is you get every accomplishment of this game (besides events and distance mileage) in the first 2.000 km... At least, I had fun completing this distance (about 100 km a day), since I was listening to podcasts while gaming WRC.

Honorable Mentions: Disgaea 4 Complete+, Just Cause 2 (due to a lot of "collectibles")

The JoaoQuique's Finally Done Award goes to:

L7ecdc0.png

inFamous 2 (PS3)

Got this one by US PS+, but I haven't completed it before PS+ expiration. After re-subscribing US PS+ for a year, this game was the first which was finally completed, before 8 years and 10 months. Technically, Trine 2 had taken more time (9 years and 1 month), but I elected inFamous 2 in this award because I was intended to complete this one, while Trine 2 was completed by "why not now?"...

Honorable mentions: Just Cause 2 (8 years, 1 month), Sideway NY (7 years, 6 months, no Platinum), Labyrinth Legends (7 years, 7 months, no Platinum), Saints Row The Third (7 years, 8 months), Zombie Tycoon 2 (7 years, 10 months), Trine 2, Dragon Ball: Battle of Z (7 years, 2 months)

The JoaoQuique's King of the Internet Award goes to:

L394f76.png

Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout (PS4)

I'm not into online gaming, and I think I had spent more time gaming online in F1 2021 than in Fall Guys, but I choose this one because it's still a great game to play sometimes, plus a moment I put on "Badass Award".

The JoaoQuique's Worst Online Experience "Award" goes to:

L99c420.png

Monster Energy Supercross (PS4)

Despite this game doesn't have "online trophies", this game has "online content", and that "online content" is a lot awful to navigate through it...

The JoaoQuique's Best Music Award goes to:

L3e4214.png

Dodgeball Academia (PS4)

Actually, I'm not a person that pays attention to music, especially when I listen to podcasts while gaming, but I've played this game without podcasts (some games aren't good to play while listening to podcasts, and this game is one of them), and the music of this game is so nice...

The JoaoQuique's Sleeper Hit of the Year Award goes to:

L3e4214.png

Dodgeball Academia (PS4)

Probably I'm cheating putting this game as "Sleeper Hit" since I've bought this one on launch at full price... However, I've done it because this game was receiving lots of positive evaluations from some Brazilian influencers from Twitter, and this game looks so pretty... So I played this game and, yes, this game IS great!! Funny storyline (very "shonen-like"), good music, great gameplay, awesome art and animations... One of the best indie games from 2021 so far!! (and since this game is one step below indies like "Hades", "Kena", or "Unsighted", I can say that this game is a great "Sleep Hitter"...)

The JoaoQuique's Biggest Bomb of the Year "award" goes to:

Le82419.png

Madden NFL 21 (PS4 & PS5)

This game was elected not because I would regret buying it (I only have no regrets because I could buy the PS4 version and receive the PS5 version together), but because this game doesn't worth the price I've paid on it... (even considering that I took the best sale of this game....)

And look at this image... Common sense said that they should make an icon for PS5 and then adapt it to PS4, not the contrary...

(Dis-)Honorable mentions: Dreaming Canvas (didn't take the top spot due to smaller time to complete and because this one doesn't have a Platinum, so far this is the worst game I've played this year...), F1 2021 PS5 version (this actually is a great game, however, from a game bought in pre-launch, the vibration of this game is awful with the DualSense...)

The JoaoQuique's Best Trophy Image Award goes to:

30L9bdfce.png

"School Champion!", from Dodgeball Academia (PS4)

This image always puts a smile on my face...

Honorable mentions: Anyone from 'Hap Inc.' games (Mom hid my game! 1 and 2, Hide and Dance! - I love that family!!)

The JoaoQuique's Worst Trophy Image "award" goes to:

Ld0124b.png1L82835a.png

Need for Speed Heat (PS4)

If this game was released to PS5 instead of PS4, the game's icon and the trophies' icon would have no difference between each other...

(Dis-)Honorable mentions: Just Cause 2 (Platinum icon is the same as any Bronze's icon), Monster Energy Supercross (Platinum icon = Game's logo)

The JoaoQuique's Best Female Character Award goest to:

Pamela_(Nelke).png

Pamela Ibis, from Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World (PS4)

First of all, I must say that I'm not used to playing games with "a deep storyline" (I do prefer playing games that are more "soft and comfy"), so my "best characters" will be basically "characters that caught me more attention". As a fan of the Atelier series, I've used to see her as a ghost, but in this game, she apparently is a kind of "spirit" (more information would be spoilers, although the storyline of any game from the Atelier series isn't so deep...). Makes sense considering the jokes of this game (Hagel, another character that appears a lot in Atelier games, usually is a blacksmith, however, in "Nelke", he's a carpenter), but, because of this "fact", I elected her as "Best Female Character"...

Honorable mentions: Madeline & "Badeline" (Celeste - these two make the game great), Nix (inFamous 2 - she's freaking badass!)

The JoaoQuique Best Male Character Award goes to:

1Lb42902.png

King Evan, from Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)

A great character, from a great game, that has a great duty, and do his best. No more words are needed...

Honorable mentions: Valvatorez (Disgaea 4 Complete+ - my favorite Disgaea character), Balloony (Dodgeball Academia - okay, there's a balloon character in The Amazing World of Gumball, but this character is not as awesome as Balloony...)

The JoaoQuique's Best "Genderless" Character Award (suggestion of an award) goes to:

A16_Homura.jpg

Homura, from Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of Dusk Sea Plus (Vita)

One of the best kind of characters from the Dusk series as a playable character? I'm in...

Honorable mentions: Astro (Astro's Playroom)

The JoaoQuique's Best Plat of the Year Award goes to:

Ldaaa68.png

Astro's Playroom (PS5)

This game is a must for any PS5 holder!! 

The JoaoQuique's Best Non-Plat of the Year Award (suggestion of an award) goes to:

Lbe26dc.pngL306ea7.png

Mom hid my Game!! (1 & 2 - PS4)

One of the most fun games I've played in 2021 - despite I've already played them on my phone. I suggest you play the games from Hap Inc. if you have Android smartphones (I don't know if these games are available for iPhones...)

Honorable mention: King Oddball (it's obvious when the fact is I've completed this game a fourth time on PS5...)

The JoaoQuique's Best Non-Playstation-Game of the Year Award (suggestion of an award) goes to:

Pokemon-Masters-EX.jpg

Pokémon Masters EX (Mobile)

Actually, I'm not a person that plays so many video games outside Playstation or Pokémom games (I'm a "Poké-Maniac"), so my choice can't be so different as a Pokémon game. When launched in 2019, I've started to play this game (still "Pokémon Masters") on day-1, but I left it some days after... By a reason I don't know, I've restarted to play this game, and finally this game "hooked me"...

The JoaoQuique's Wurst Plat ov the Yeer "award" goes to:

L6c7ba5.png

Timber Tennis: Versus (PS4)

Pretty random mechanics, grindy online and offline trophies, pixel art that "does not the kind I like"... Actually this year was great for me on gaming, so I simply had chosen the "most boring" Platinum of the year in this category... And I hadn't chosen "Dreaming Canvas" on this category because this game doesn't have Platinum...

The JoaoQuique's Most Anticipated Platinum of 2022 is:

Lad93dd.png

Persona 5 Royal (PS4)

Simply because I know Persona 5 is a great game, so Persona 5 Royal is at least as awesome as, and I intend to have this game's Platinum as my 20.000th trophy...

The JoaoQuique's Most Anticipated Game of 2022 (Platinum not required) is:

yZ7dpmjtHr1olhutHT57IFRh.png

Gran Turismo 7 (PS4 & PS5)

I'm supposing I won't be able to Platinum it, like Gran Turismo 5...

Edited by JoaoQuique

I started trophy hunting this year, so I don't exactly have a lot to show for these awards, but here we gooooo!

PIECE OF CAKE AWARD

My Name Is Mayo. Literal joke game. Next.

IT'S LIKE DARK SOULS

'A Man Chooses' in Bioshock: Remastered. I already think that the original Bioshock is frustrating enough on normal difficulty! 

BAD ASS AWARD

See 'It's Like Dark Souls'.

GRIND OF THE YEAR

Assassin's Creed Origins. In typical Ubisoft fashion, large-ass open world with a seemingly infinite amount of stuff to do. It was fun cleaning up every area at first, but it quickly became very draining. Why did I plat three Ubisoft games this year?

Honorable mention to 'No More Fish In The Sea' from Okami HD, fishing minigames suck.

FINALLY DONE

Marvel's Spider-Man. Took me 8 months and 3 weeks to finish this one, but only because I initially played it back in 2020 before I began hunting, and got back into it to do the remaining trophies much later.

KING OF THE INTERNET/WORST ONLINE EXPERIENCE

I don't play online games, I prefer single-player experiences, so nothing to see here.

BEST MUSIC

Sonic Colors: Ultimate. Sonic games almost always have absolute bangers of soundtracks, and this was no exception. The remixed soundtrack in this remaster IMO was great.

Honorable mention to Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy, which continues the movies' tradition of having a fantastic playlist of retro hits.

SLEEPER HIT

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Went in expecting Avengers 2.0, came out satisfied from a surprisingly good superhero game. Give it a shot if you haven't!

BIGGEST BOMB

Oddly enough, nothing. I generally liked every game I played this year both old and new. I did try the first Borderlands and got real bored after it after a while, so I guess that's my biggest bomb?

BEST TROPHY IMAGE

• Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy has some real nice looking trophy images, I love that combination of purple and pink, same for Cyberpunk 2077 which has a similar style.
  • God of War's trophy images are stylized like ancient drawings of some sort, and look pretty neat.
  • Gravity Rush Remastered has a cool comic book style for its trophies.

WORST TROPHY IMAGE

• Detroit: Become Human. Hope you like triangles!
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Variety would be nice.

BEST FEMALE CHARACTER

Amaterasu from Okami is the definition of a good dog.

BEST MALE CHARACTER

Ichiban Kasuga from Yakuza: Like A Dragon. I didn't have much hope Kiryu's successor would fill in his shoes with much success, but through for the course of the game I found myself really liking this lovable dork, and I'm excited to see his story continue in Yakuza 8.

Honorable mentions go to Ezio from Assassin's Creed II, Vaas from Far Cry 3: Classic Edition, Cole Phelps from L.A. Noire, Connor from Detroit: Become Human, Delsin Rowe from inFamous: Second Son and Bigby Wolf from The Wolf Among Us

BEST PLAT OF THE YEAR

It's a tie between Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy and Okami HD! There were some frustrations here and there but I loved these games so much when I played them!

WORST PLAT OF THE YEAR

Disregarding My Name Is Mayo, the worst plat of this year for me had to be Detroit: Become Human. I loved it the first time around but the two extra playthroughs after that just about made me hate this game and never want to play it again. 

MOST ANTICIPATED 2022

• The Dead Space remake. I'm just happy to see my favorite horror franchise back from the... well.... dead, and I have faith that EA Motive will do it justice.
  • Elden Ring. Never was too interested in Soulsbournekiros or whatever the internet calls them, but this particular one seems fun.
  • God Of War: Ragnarök. Loved the first one when I played it this year (still have to platinum it sometime), so of course I'm grabbing this.
  • Sonic Frontiers. Please, for the love of all things holy, do not mess this up Sega.
  • The Legend Of Zelda: BOTW Sequel. Not PS, but you know exactly why it's here.
  • Like 1

Piece of Cake Award - Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue (PS3) | GameCola

This is without question the easiest game or 100% on my list. It's practically a demo with trophy support which is very unusual, if your not familiar or experienced with the fighting genre this is the best starting point in my opinion. Difficulty wise it would be a 1/10 for me whilst someone with 0 experience it would be no higher than a 2/10.

It’s Like Dark Souls - Sekiro Shadow's Die Twice

Sekiro is brutal, beautiful, and FromSoftware's friendliest game yet -  Polygon

Created by FromSoftware, Sekiro is an absolute masterpiece in my opinion. Stunning locations, fantastic level design, fast and rewarding combat, great bosses and a high skill ceiling, what more do you want? This is quite possibly the best game I've played through this year, difficulty is incredibly subjective even more so with soul-likes, in my opinion this game is no lower than an 8/10. I had a much easier time with BloodBorne, Dark Souls Remastered and Demon's Souls.

Bad ass Reward - Doom Eternal

Horde Mode, BATTLEMODE 2.0 and new Master Levels are live in DOOM Eternal

This might ruffle a few feathers but In my opinion Doom Eternal is the best first-person shooter of the last 20 years. Combat is a ballet of destruction, ripping through hordes of demons with flair and finesse is incredibly rewarding. Enemies feel like chess pieces on the board, even the most basic infantry units Imps are much more intimidating when your efforts are shifted towards a much greater threat! The music is just as important as the gameplay and Mick Gordon smashes it out of the park with arguably one of the best soundtracks ever made.

Iconic songs such as Cultist Base, Super Gore Nest and The Only Thing They Fear Is You pumps your adrenaline up to 11 as you rip and tear through the demonic forces of hell. Content wise your getting a lot of bang for the buck, not only do you have Doom Eternal to play through but you can play Doom 1 and Doom 2 via a PC within the Fortress of Doom in their entirety. The DLC's are quite expensive though, fortunately I purchased them on sale but since I haven't got round to them yet I'm unable to comment on them.

You can unlock various skins for not only the slayer but enemies as well, the levels are fantastic and compliment the games OST. If you had to clear Ultra Nightmare difficulty then this would be the most skill based shooter on the system. In Doom 2016 you could blitz through the game with a single weapon but in Doom Eternal that shit won't fly.

Grind of the Year - Diablo 3 Eternal Collection

Diablo III: Eternal Collection review -- helluva perfect for Switch |  VentureBeat

I spent almost 100 hours playing through Diablo 3 and it's DLC which was a blast, don't get me wrong I love Diablo but the 500 bounties was complete unnecessary. I'm not sure how many hours me and a friend grinded bounties for but it felt like an eternity.

Finally done award - Wet

Rubi Wet For Ps3 (PSD) | Official PSDs

It took me a while to complete Wet on the PlayStation 3 which I finished off back in January. Wet is under-rated in terms of difficulty I'd personal give it a solid 7/10 as some of the Boneyard challenges are tight. In fact I got the exact same time as the gold medal on almost a third of them which shows how tight they are. Point mode isn't that hard since you can accumulate points fairly easy with the correct strategy. 

King of the Internet - N/A

Worst Online Experience - N/A

Best Music - Doom Eternal

Best Sleeper Hit - N/A

Biggest Bomb of the Year - N/A

Best Trophy Image - Final Fantasy X HD

14L5d42ee.png

Feel The Pain: Acquire Anima!

Worst Trophy Image - N/A

Best Female Character - Sheva Alomar 

clare | on Twitter: "????? ?????? - ????? ????  ??????? https://t.co/MLY0hCljVT" / Twitter

Best Male Character - Dante because who doesn't like Dante?

Who do you think is stronger, Dante or Nero? - Quora

Best Plat of the Year  - King of Fighters 13

1L4cea3a.png

Worst Plat of the Year - N/A

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2022: Black Myth Wukong (Not sure on release date but most excited for this one)

Black Myth: WuKong 12 Minutes UE5 Gameplay Test - YouTube

• Like 2

Piece of Cake Award Subnautica, (twice).

L764975.png      L18350a.png     

1Sddcdfe.png Platinum Trophy
Collect all other trophies
3rd Apr 2021

1Sc1278d.png Platinum Trophy
Collect all other trophies
10th Jun 2021

It's like Dark souls Award Cuphead

L703ff1.png

1S6967c8.pngGrand Uproar Obtain all other trophies 11th Dec 2021

Not as hard as I was expecting, but definitely the hardest plat for me this year.

Bad Ass Award.

Le24f4c.png

48S8e67ae.png Legendary Cowboy
Achieve at least an S Rank on all stages in The Mercenaries.
30th May 2021

Honestly  would probably also give this to the Cuphead platinum again, but since I don't want to repeat my self too much I'll give it to S ranking all the mercenary levels in RE Village

Grind of the Year Award Resident Evil Village

The only reason for this is that I spent a little under 50 hours with this game, the most of any game this year.

Finally Done Award beating Days Gone

L43c1f4.png

13S78788f.png Days Done
Complete the story of Days Gone
1st May 2021

Yep, that's right simply beating this game was enough for me. Overall I found this game to be way too long. By the time I was finally done I had no interest in getting the platinum and still don't 

Best/worst online experience of the year award N/A

I actually didn't really play that much online this year, so I don't really have any awards to give out in either category.

Best Music Tie between Celeste and Cuphead

Ld8fb6b.pngL703ff1.png

I really don't have much to say other than I really like the soundtracks to both these games

Biggest Bomb Award N/A

I was fortunate enough not to play any bombs this year. Although if this was last year this award would easily go to Cyberpunk 2077.

Best Trophy image  MediEvil

19L6dbb42.png

Worst Trophy Image Resident Evil 4

4L0def80.png

I mean, just look at it.

Best Female Character The shark from Maneater

Maneater cover art.jpg

Best Male Character Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil 4

I forgot how utterly ridiculous the second half of Resident Evil 4 is. |  ResetEra

Platinum of the Year Resident Evil Village

Worst Platinum of the Year Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

The only reason why I think that this is the worse plat of the year is because of how easy it was. Unlike other Ratchet games, you don't even need to complete the game 100% to get the platinum this time around. This includes collecting all of the the gold bolts, or in this games case, not collecting all of the bolts.

Most Anticipated platinum of 2022 Horizon Forbidden West

Horizon Forbidden West cover art.jpg

I mean considering it's a first party open world PlayStation game it will probably be more time consuming than difficult. Plus going for the platinum in the first game is probably the the major reason for me liking the game more than I did after initially beating it. 

• Like 2

Oh shit!!! I've been looking forward to this year's year end awards! Just got caught up on the thread, lots of great replies so far. Time to throw my own hat in!

Piece of Cake Award

L64963b.png

.detuned

With the announcement of the closure of the PS3 store this year, I went and got a whole bunch of ancient games that I never had the opportunity to play before (probably because I was a kid and didn't have any money when I played the PS3 long ago!). This was one of them! It's literally just showing how you can play music on the PS3, a feature I think barely anyone used. This 100% took me a whole 7 minutes. Don't regret it though! It was interesting seeing how this kind of software has evolved overtime into stuff like Astro's Playroom.

It's Like Dark Souls

Ld474b8.png

Savage Halloween

No buts about it, this game is TOUGH. It's old school in all the best ways, has fantastic, tight controls, great references to old NES games, and for better or for worse, the difficulty is definitely there. There are occasional extra lives, but you get 3 continues, and no way to get more. Not the end of the world, until you need to beat the game with each of the three characters without getting a game over, AND complete Hardcore Mode, which means if you take one hit, you die instantly. Thank god for the Restart Room exploit, or there's no way I ever could have done this. It's hard, but I still absolutely recommend this game btw.

Bad Ass Award

Lb6ba20.png

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City

Platinumed this game early this year, and the friend who gave it to me made me go through the DLC too. I fucking beat Slave Knight Gael. If you know, you know. I am a goddamn CHAMPION.

Grind of the Year

Lc8fb24.png

Far Cry 2

Yeah. I did this one. I always held off on the old Far Cry games because I was waiting for a remaster without the online, but when I heard Far Cry 6 was adding "all the best" Far Cry villains, and that only included 3, 4, and 5, I knew it wasn't coming. So, yeah, I got the online done. No single player yet but I don't even care, this game took FOREVER. Getting the 16 people for War Party was a major hassle, and the manual grind was just so, so brutal. I did it with a friend instead of self-boosting too, which just made it take even longer for the both of us. The absolute epitome of terrible early PS3 online trophies, but at least it's done. Somehow.

Finally Done Award

Le9e2b9.png

inFAMOUS

A whole SIX YEARS AND TEN MONTHS after starting this game, it's finally over. I remember when I played this, ages and ages ago. I actually played Infamous 2 first, though it was on a different profile because I was a dumb baby who didn't get Playstation profiles, and then later I wanted to play the original. I beat it, but never platinumed it. Years and years later, I was increasingly unenthusiastic about the last few stunts I never did, and getting all the blast shards with no in-game tracker, but I finally went and got it. And you know what? It wasn't too bad! Evil Playthrough was a lot of fun too, even on hard mode, and overall I enjoyed myself. Went through 2 and Festival of Blood again too for proper series completion. Good times.

King of the Internet

L04e16b.png

Battlefield V

Technically I don't have the platinum for this one, but honestly it's just a matter of time. I had a lot of fun with this! Battlefield isn't really my scene normally, but a boosting group of friends I'm in started doing all the misc stuff, and I actually had a lot of fun just fucking around with them and earning trophies. Lots of mentions of "Fortnite Gaming" with the random building mechanics in this one, and when it came time to grind, we still had a good time with one another. Good times.

Worst Online Experience

L72acd3.png

Wake-up Club

Similar to the PS3 store, when I heard the Vita store was going down I scrambled to get stuff I found interesting but never played on my Vita. Wake-up Club was one of those things. It is literally just an alarm clock app mixed with other people, and man, the trophies for this shit are REAL dumb. Good fucking luck getting 12 people to wake up together in the year of our lord 2021. I had to set the alarm to times people would be waking up in Japan, and even then, it still took me weeks in real life to actually get this done. Very frustrating, basically entirely RNG, and no communication with those you're "waking up" with. Bad.

Best Music

L3c6d71.png

I'm a big metal fan. This game has an entirely power metal soundtrack. Not only was it a kickass fighting game, but my ears were happy the entire time. Loved it.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

L3408c0.png

Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus

I had never heard of this game before, I just randomly came across it for like 3 bucks several years ago and heard it was a fun Metroidvania. I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY when I actually played it this year. This game fucking ROCKS. It has FANTASTIC Metroidvania mechanics, keeping you going back to old areas just enough to keep them fresh in your mind, without ever being annoying. The upgrades were interesting, the worldbuilding was super neat, and the devs even made up their own musical language for the cute little denizens of this land! It's very immersive too, to the point where I kind of felt like I knew the language myself by the end of playthrough two. Don't be put off by the low 100% percentage or the lack of plat: this game is absolutely worth your time.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

L9f2a7e.png

VA-11 Hall-A

Everyone told me this game was a fun, story based, cyberpunk, bartending sim. And you know, it is most of those things. I liked 2064: Read Only Memories, and generally this type of game always makes me smile, so I was excited to finally get a chance to play it. And I mean, for the most part, it's fine. Except, you know, for the visibly underage prostitute that just keeps coming up again and again. I mean honestly, I'd be okay with that if it was portrayed as this tragic and fucked up thing that's just going on in this cyberpunk dystopia or whatever, but nope! She loves her job, apparently! Having the body of a 10-13 year old girl and having sex with men who fantasize her as their daughter is A-OK according to these developers! It honestly made me feel REALLY gross every time she came back on screen, but since I wanted to give the devs TOTAL the benefit of the doubt, I decided to see if they had any kind of statement on the issue that might clear it up. It only made things even worse. I don't understand why this game is such an indie darling with such gross shit being put in it, especially when it's implied that a couple of the main characters have used her "services" themselves too. Actually disgusting. Ugh. Onto a lighter topic.

Best Trophy Image

1L99b92f.png

Deathloop - Into Eternity

Gotta say, I'm a BIG fan of the art style that Deathloop went with. It definitely deserved that Game Award for best art direction, and that includes the trophy art. The platinum image is very stand-out, but the whole list honestly has a lot of great art. It's nice, since I didn't have many other great standouts this year in terms of nice art. Mostly middle of the road stuff this year.

Worst Trophy Image

1L75126a.png

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Platinum Trophy

Look, I love Arkham Asylum. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and I have plenty of great memories of playing it when it came out. Most of the trophy art is even quite good! Which is why it baffles me so much that the platinum looks so shitty. What's with that resolution??? Why is he so blurry? This is from the original PS3 version, but it baffles me even more that they didn't even fix the resolution for the remaster! It bothers me soooooooo much, I had to give this one the award, even if some other games I played maybe had blander or less inspired art.

Best Female Character

Lb2caac.png

Returnal - Selene

I loved Returnal a LOT, and a big part of that is how interesting a character Selene is. She's a no-nonsense scientist, which is always nice to see in an action game, but the amount of guilt she carries and how she investigates that guilt is really, really interesting. I won't give too many spoilers because this game is a chock to the brim with great story if you go looking for it, but she was great. Enough said.

Best Male Character

L137c94.png

Ghost of Tsushima - Jin Sakai

Ghost of Tsushima is fantastic, and a big part of that comes from how interesting the main character is. Jin's story is a really interesting rework of the classic honorable samurai story, where normally the main character would find success in retaining their honor and not having to be the "bad guy," Jin finds the most success in using underhanded tactics to beat an opponent far more powerful than him. How this affects his relationships is really, really interesting, and I adored seeing how he grew and changed throughout the game's story. As if the gameplay wasn't already enough to make me love it!

Best Plat of the Year

1La2b8a7.png

Carrion

I love Carrion. I know this isn't meant to be game of the year, but the trophies you get for Carrion are just for getting 100% in the game, and I've done that three times now. Once on PC, then Switch, then finally on PS4 now that it's finally out. This game just goes SO DAMN HARD and I was gutted when I found out it wouldn't be coming to Playstation. Now it's here though, and I was happy to play it all over again. Only problem is that the free Christmas DLC doesn't have any trophies, so get on that Devolver! Otherwise, it's just great. Couldn't hope for better.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

1Lb9b5ca.png

Aliens: Colonial Marines

What a complete and utter waste of time and energy. I'm actually a big fan of bad games, but man, this one is just on another level. The singleplayer requirements were already grindy and difficult for a terrible goddamn game, and then you tack on multiplayer and you reach a new level of low. There's even DLC trophies! And they suck too! The ONLY saving grace is that the online is fairly straightforward with a partner, but holy fuck just do not try and complete this. Play it as a joke maybe, check out the awful Alien AI, but it is not worth the completion. Never, ever again.

Most Anticipated Plat of 2022

Horizon Forbidden West - Wikipedia

Horizon Forbidden West

It could only ever be this. Horizon Zero Dawn is one of my favorite games of all time, and if this is even half as good I'll still be satisfied. Can't wait to dive in all over again, literally this time since there's underwater swimming in this one! I can't wait. Major hype, and a Day 1 purchase for me.

This was a long, crazy year, and I got a lot of games done that I wanted to because of. My PS3 event (badges still pending... unfortunately) helped me charge through a lot more than I otherwise would have, and I got to play a lot of stuff I wanted to also! Hope everyone enjoyed 2021 as much as they could, and hey, here's to an even better 2022!

• Like 2

:platinum: Piece of Cake: Spectrewoods

I pressed forward for five minutes, it was riveting.

:platinum: It’s Like Dark Souls: Sekiro

Well, it is like Dark Souls. I spent 12 hours on Isshin Ashina. But I got the platinum.

:gold: Badass Award: Rainbow Six Siege. 

4 kills in a round & some really stylish and stealthy takedowns.

:platinum: Grind of the Year: Rogue Galaxy.

For the level 99 trophy I was still running up and down the ghost ship well after I finished the game. I watched 7 movies (!) on a laptop while I did that.

:platinum: Finally Done It Award: Rainbow Moon

7 years, 1 month. All on a PS Vita.

:gold: King of the Internet: Rainbow Six Siege

I can’t stop.

:bronze: Worst Online Experience: Rainbow Six Siege

F*ck ranked

:platinum: Best Music: Hades

It just senselessly murders every competition out there. Can’t wait to plat the other version too.

:silver: Sleeper Hit of the Year: Outriders

I reviewed this game, and my first impressions were negative. They aren’t all positive now, but I think there’s much more to it, it’s polished and fun, and it has a very forgiving, well-paced platinum.

:bronze: Biggest Bomb of the Year: Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy

I have zero comments.

:hidden: Best / Trophy Image: Not going to scroll through dozens of pages lol

:platinum: Best Female Character: Rivet (Ratchet & Clank)

She could take over the series - but the writers should lean more into what makes her unique.

:platinum: Best Male Character: Zagreus (Hades)

He’s so polite! How many fighters are this polite in games? Love him.

:platinum: Best Plat of the Year: Hades

It was the perfect flow.

:hidden: Most Anticipated Platinum of 2022: Elden Ring

I am not a very original man.

Edited by fbdbh
  • Like 1

Piece of Cake: REVERIE

It's Like Dark Souls/Badass Award: VICTORY OF THE MILLENNIUM - YAKUZA: LIKE A DRAGON

Grind of the Year: ZANKI ZERO: LAST BEGINNING

Finally Done: PYRE

Best Music: NEO: THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU (still bummed that Déjà Vu didn't returned)

Sleeper Hit:  13 SENTINELS: AEGIS RIM | ENDER LILIES: QUIETUS OF THE KNIGHTS

Biggest Bomb: FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE | AXIOM VERGE 2

Best Trophy Images: 13 SENTINELS: AEGIS RIM

Worst Trophy Images: YU-GI-OH! LEGACY OF THE DUELIST: LINK EVOLUTION

Best Female Character: Liar Princess - THE LIAR PRINCESS AND THE BLIND PRINCE

Best Male Character: Kasuga Ichiban Number One - YAKUZA: LIKE A DRAGON

Best Plat of the Year: LEGEND OF MANA

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer: BLACK CLOVER: QUARTET KNIGHTS

Edited by JaM
How could I forget Zan 2 =|
  • Like 1

Piece of Cake - The Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series

L78ca45.png (320×176)

In traditional TellTale fashion, you’re only required to play through all episodes and chapters whilst making whichever choices you’d like. This game went under my radar for a while but I really enjoyed the story.

It’s Like Dark Souls - Greedfall & Mafia: Definitive Edition

Lc49ba2.png (320×176) L9158a5.png (320×176)

I’m not suggesting Greedfall is comparable to the Souls-like games, but I honestly found its Extreme difficulty to be true to its name as enemies can easily kill you (the janky controls also work against you). The guardian Nadaig are tough minibosses on this difficulty as well. Strangely, I had the least amount of trouble with the final boss, who is more of a bullet sponge than a real challenge.

Greedfall aside, my single most frustrating 2021 gaming moment by far is Mafia: Definitive Edition's infamous race on Classic difficulty. Your fellow competitors’ max speed is higher than yours, and they are both the unstoppable force AND the immovable object; one slight breeze and/or love tap later, you go spinning out of control and you have zero chance of catching up (your opponents, on the other hand, seem unaffected when you hit them). Finally, the mocking chapter name (“Fair Play”) adds insult to injury. It took me hours just to get past this one section - loved the game otherwise!

Badass Award - "Dragon of Legend" from Yakuza Kiwami 2

Laf203d.png (320×176) 19L5bf6eb.png (240×240)

The story of Yakuza Kiwami 2 is great, and the Dragon of Dojima's final fight with Ryuji on the Millenium Tower in Legend difficulty and the name of the trophy are especially badass!

Grind of the Year - Judgment

L7d4f08.png (320×176)

The Completion List of the Yakuza series is replaced with the KamuroGo missions in Judgment. Same thing, different name: do everything (main and side missions, minigames, activities, dates, restaurants, etc.)! I hated the Kamuro of the Dead minigame (not hard but I’m easily spooked by zombies, undead, etc.), drone racing (little room for mistakes), Dice & Cube (just not fun), and waiting for all the Quickstarter projects to show up. I suppose I'm demonstrating poor Judgment (heh) by having expected anything other than a huge grind in a RGG Studio game.

Finally Done - Fallout 3

Lb6dda2.png (320×176)

11 years, 7 months - I hadn't met the requirements for finding all 100 iron ingots in The Pitt. I was missing just one ingot; it turns out that I had to wait a bit for the ingot to load and spawn into the world. Oof.

King of the Internet - Destiny 2

Lea96d2.png (320×176)

Destiny 2 is my chill, non-trophy hunting game I play when I can’t choose a game from my HUGE backlog. Shooting aliens in the face is fun, too! For anyone interested, Destiny 2 is FTP and the winter holiday event is currently active!

Worst Online Experience - Fallout Guys: Ultimate Knockout

L394f76.png (320×176)

I’ve had issues each session this year: lag, getting kicked out of games/lobbies, not getting rewards I should have earned, etc. The only other always-online game I play is Destiny 2 (which I put way more hours into), and I still had worse experiences with Fall Guys.

Best Music - NieR: Automata

Ld87fc9.png (320×176)

I enjoyed this game, but I thought the music was phenomenal – it was beautiful and conveyed emotions well.

Sleeper Hit - Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020

Le4ef49.png (320×176)

I don’t play sports game (not that this one is a “proper” sports game, mind you), but it was surprisingly fun. I didn’t expect to enjoy the game as much as I did when it popped up on PS Now, but I’m glad I played it.

Biggest Bomb of the Year - The Last of Us Part II

La12bae.png (320×176)

As someone who loved the first game, I had high hopes for the narrative of The Last of the Us: Part II; too high apparently, as its story failed to resonate with me like the first game did. I really wanted to like it, but I didn't.

The story is intended to be one of revenge, which to me indicates intimacy; however, instead of a story involving a small number of characters, the game introduces unimportant characters (and entire factions) that serve little to no purpose in the immediate narrative. As a result, the story buckles under its own weight and its pacing suffers, in my opinion. It is disappointing since I believe the defining strengths of the first game were its story (especially its arguably perfect open-ended conclusion) and characters.

Best Trophy Image - "Notorious P.U.G." from Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse

Lcc904d.png (320×176) 15Le839ad.png (240×240)

I mean, it’s a pug. Kind of ugly, but ultimately cute. All my homies are about the pug life.

Worst Trophy Image - "Dognation Level 1" from Undertale

Le71ec5.png (320×176) 16L9247dc.png (240×240)

The art itself isn’t bad, but all the trophy images on the list are almost the same. The only difference is that the colour of the dog corresponds to the level of the trophy (silver, gold, etc.).

Best Female Character - Ellie from The Last of Us Part II

La12bae.png (320×176) GLmkaJx.png

While I believe the story and characters in general don’t hold a candle to those of the first game, Ellie has a clear motivation and purpose. She is on the warpath and kills who she must along the way; however, she is also affected by her own actions, traumatized by what she has seen and done. She isn’t one-dimensional; some may view her as a monster, others as a victim, but her experience is laden with loss.

Best Male Character - Jin Sakai from Ghost of Tsushima

L137c94.png (320×176) UJwxRK2.png

Jin’s transformation from a Sakai clan samurai to the Ghost is one of tragedy, sadness, self-doubt, struggle, and necessity. He is forced to adopt an “honourless” methodology and identity to save his people from the Mongols, even as he comes to odds with his family and friends. At the end of the story, which is the mask: Jin Sakai or the Ghost?

Best Platinum of the Year - Ghost of Tsushima

L137c94.png (320×176)

Minus the collectibles, I loved everything about Ghost of Tsushima. The customization, outfits, story, characters, environments, themes, etc. There’s a lot to do (which in most games would overwhelm me), but the world was just so beautiful I wanted to keep exploring; I even found all the optional outfit pieces, etc. I loved the Iki Island expansion as well but if the base game was too much for you, be warned that Iki Island is more of the same.

Wurst Platinum ov the Yeer - Siegecraft Commander

L7709e2.png (320×176) 

My PS Now subscription was going to run out and I learned that this game was a short Platinum. Jokes on me, the game isn’t good. I should have let PS Now go in peace, remembering it not as it is, but as it was.

Most Anticipated Platinum of 2022 Award - Horizon Forbidden West

1*2J3OLrKHjAS_5Y1PigCYsQ.jpeg

Last year, I said God of War: Ragnarok, then the game was pushed to a 2022 release. This year, I'm much more excited for Horizon Forbidden West, especially after seeing some recent gameplay videos.

• Like 1