Recommend your top 10?

TomataEighty9

I can only support Severed and Tearaway - two absolutely great games that wonderfully use the specific Vita features.

Also you might give a go to Golden Abyss if you’re an Uncharted enthusiast - by no means the best of the series but a very decent action/adventure game nonetheless.

If you’re a Zelda fan then Reverie is for you. If you fancy creepy games, Yomawari might be a pleasant surprise :-)

My major Vita disappointment was Gravity Rush - never got into the plot and the weird controls didn’t help. Many people seem to have enjoyed it but I’m definitely not among them…

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 1

A lot of gems on the Vita. This would be my top 10 list:

1. Darkest Dungeon (even if the DLC runs god awful on the Vita)

2. Freedom Wars

3. Persona 4 Golden

4. Salt and Sanctuary

5. Uncharted

6. Gravity Rush

7. Severed

8. Secret of Mana (old school SNES goodness)

9. Disgaea 3 + 4 (both much the same, 4 probably better)

10. Steamworld Heist

Lots of other great games on the Vita also outside of these.

• Like 3

Persona 4 Golden: Besides buying the game on Steam, this is the only way to play the definitive version of Persona 4. I'd recommend getting it off of PSN. Yes, DRM sucks. Yes, it's over 3 GB. But the game is pricey to get a physical copy of now.

Stardew Valley: Buy it off of PSN (easiest to do off of your PS4), and you get both versions. Keep in mind that there is only one trophy list, so you can't stack the Vita and PS4 versions. Also keep in mind that saves can't be transferred between the versions (kind of obvious). You should mostly play the game on PS4, since it has way more content updates. But creating an alternate file on the Vita is cool. If nothing else, you can Remote Play the PS4 version onto your Vita. 

Uncharted: Golden Abyss: The weakest in the series, but still a good game. It's cheaper digitally, but the physical copy isn't as outrageous as some other games.

Minecraft: Easier in some ways to platinum or 100% than the PS4 version to some people thanks to less trophies and a tutorial world. 

Paint Park Plus: Less a game and more a painting/drawing app. It's free and the trophies are really quick and easy.

Killzone Mercenary: If nothing else because the servers are still up and there's a niche community around the game.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Online is gone and platinum is unobtainable. Still an interesting crossover of PlayStation characters in a fighting game.

Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet: Cute and short visual novel. Crossbuy with PS4 and two trophy lists. 

Doki-Doki Universe: A fun puzzle game. Crossbuy with PS4 and has a PS3/Vita and then a a PS4 trophy list.

This is less a game in particular and more to consider games for Lightwood Games. They're crossbuy with PS4 and there are some fun word searches and word games. 

• Like 1

Looking back on what I've played, here are my top 10 recommendations (not all are Vita-exclusive) to check out on Vita:

1. Rogue Legacy

2. Tearaway

3. Severed

4. Killzone: Mercenary

5. Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

6. Hotline Miami

7. Child of Light

8. Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

9. Uncharted: Golden Abyss

10. Woah Dave!

Everyone will say Persona 4 Golden, and I agree, but I haven't finished it yet so didn't include it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Muramasa Rebirth

2-5. Muramasa Rebirth's DLC chapters

6. Killzone Mercenary

7. Gravity Rush

8. Persona 4 Golden

9. Soul Sacrifice

10. Numerous multiplatform indies that are all super addictive, personally I wouldn't take a Vita anywhere without Downwell, Spelunky and The Binding of Isaac, although the latter has no DLC on Vita.

• Like 1

Here are mine in alphabetical:

Cosmic Star Heroine

the Danganronpa Trilogy

Hot Shots Golf (FYI Plat is unatainable now)

Killzone: Mercenary

Muramasa Rebirth + DLC

Odin Sphere

Persona 4 Golden

Timespinner

Ys VIII

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

There are a ton more and I could go on and on as it is personally top 3 systems of all time

Persona 4 golden

Odin sphere leifthrasir

MGS 2

MGS 3

Danganronpa 1

Danganronpa 2

Zero escape: Nonary games

Adventures of mana

Steins; gate (if you can tolerate dialogue heavy vn's)

Oddworld (bad port but a good game)

Just got murasama rebirth and excited to play it

Edited by SwicySauce

I love the VITA, a real shame that it didn't take off and is now suffering "death by Sony"

I've enjoyed pretty much every game I've played on it, but highlights were:

- Persona 4 Golden - any list I read has it #1 for a reason, great story, quality JRPG

- Tearaway - innovative, fun. short game. You can't help but smile when playing it

- Hotline Miami - just one more go... great music

- Guacamelee - I got the pack with Severed & Mutant Blobs (the studio's other games) - great value - and despite hating/being rubbish at platform games it drew me in and was great fun

- Need for Speed MW - Excellent port of game - runs really well on the VITA, highly recommend

- F1 2011 - Again really smooth and graphically good

- LEGO Hobbit / LoTR - Can usually find cheap LEGO games on Ebay and they're all pretty good fun!

One to avoid

- Rugby 15 - Awful, awful awful - avoid (unless like me you get it free and you want the easy trophies/platinum...)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Muramasa Rebirth + Genroku Legends DLC

2. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

3. YS VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

4. Sly 4: Thieves in Time

5. God Wars: Future Past

6. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni

7. Criminal Girls 2

8. Soul Sacrifice Delta

9. Gravity Rush

10. New Little King's Story

Edited by SireDragoviano

Here’s a list of games that I’ve enjoyed for many different reasons, so let’s begin in no particular order.

1. Lego : LOTR, Hobbit, Batman, Jurassic park. - let’s face it, any Lego games are great. Puzzles, crazy humour, fun combat & entertaining storyline’s.
  2. Xcom Enemy Unknown Plus : great strategy game, turn based squad combat, base building/researching/upgrading, alien killing fun.
  3. Frobisher Says : lots of fun party mini games that make use of all the vita’s many controls/touchscreens/ camera. Great silly fun for up to 8 players.
  4. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth/Hackers Memory : if you like turn based combat, quirky jrpg storyline & digimon this is a great game with online vs modes too.
  5. Final Fantasy X/X2 : one of the best FF games out there, plays very smoothly, many hours of fun, great storyline & BLITZBALL.
  6. The Swindle : a steam punk heist game.  Work your way from robbing homes,  factory’s, banks, evading police bots to build up your skills to take down the government’s superweapon before it’s completion.
  7. Papers Please : a fun little Indy game, protect your country’s borders as an immigration officer, accept bribes, stop criminals, check paperwork, provide for your family & try not to get killed by radicalised terrorists or thrown in the gulag by your own government. A complex yet very addictive game. Hard to describe but very satisfying when you get the hang of it.
  8. Super Time Force Ultra (STFU) : really fun platformer, use/unlock a very large team roster of crazy characters with varying abilities, save your timeline from the past & future with your time travelling abilities. You can have up to 40 characters onscreen at the same time, if you die rewind time and fight side by side with your past self to save their life and continue the mad capped hectic carnage.
  9. Octodad : a really fun and silly game, your an octopus pretending to be a man, don’t let anyone find out. Use the twin sticks to control his many tentacles as he attempts daily life, make breakfast, go shopping, gardening, go on a date, get married but don’t blow your cover, nobody suspects a thing.
  10. World Of Final Fantasy : this one is very interesting as it’s set in the Final Fantasy universe, but much like Pokémon you can capture the monsters you encounter and battle alongside them as you take on the evil threatening the kingdom. It’s got a great storyline and is very enjoyable, and it’s a different spin on the standard final fantasy franchise playstyle.

I could easily keep going with this list as there are tons of incredible games on the system. But look around, google some gameplay of games people suggest and see what sort of games suit your tastes.

Let us know how you go…

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I will limit it to handheld exclusives that aren't also available on PS3 or PS4, there actually aren't that many of the one's I've played when you strip out the multiplatform console games.

Dokuro

Severed

Uncharted Golden Abyss

Nekoburo: Cat Blocks

Muv-Luv & Muv-Luv Alternative

and PSP games

Corpse Party (first one is the best, the others including the vita sequel just aren't aren't as good)

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lion

Ultimate Ghosts ‘N Goblins

Jeanne d'Arc

Some interesting lists in this thread, and I'm happy to see P4G so highly praised.

So, here are my top Vita games, with (X) denoting exclusive (within the PS universe) Vita games:

Tier 1: My top Vita games, and among the top games on PS:

Steins;Gate

Persona 4 Golden (X)

Danganronpa 1/2

Papers, Please (X)

(Steins;Gate and Danganronpa 1 are among my all time Top 10.)

Tier 2: Very good games; those alone would justify the purchase of a Vita for me, although only few are exclusives:

VVVVVV

Danganronpa AE/V 3
Atelier Totori Plus

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA f / f 2nd

Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition (~X; PS3 only in .jp)

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (X)

Tier 3: Honorable Mentions:

Monster Monpiece (X)
Virtua Tennis 4
Hatoful Boyfriend / Holiday Star

Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (X)

Rabi-Ribi

IA/VT Colorful (X)

If you understand Japanese, probably also Catherine: Full Body. Unfortunately there is no translated release for the Vita

Edited by Zvetiki
typo

• Uncharted
  • Gravity Rush
  • Hotline Miami
  • Resogun
  • OlliOlli
  • Sound Shapes
  • Tearaway
  • Killzone
  • Sine Mora
  • Severed
  • Dragon's Crown
  • Twin Breaker

10+, but some of them are multiplatform titles, so please forgive me ^^

1. LittleBigPlanet Vita (plat impossible due to server closure, still a great single player)
  2. Gravity Rush (also on PS4)
  3. The House In Fata Morgana (also on PS4)
  4. Hot Shots Golf World Invitational / Everybodys Golf 6 (plat impossible due to server closure)
  5. Jet Set Radio (also on PS3)
  6. Motorstorm RC (also on PS3)
  7. Need for Speed Most Wanted (also on PS3)
  8. The Swapper (also on PS3/4)

Beyond that it gets to muddy to pick just 2 more so a bunch of honorable mentions are:

• Spoiler

• Uncharted Golden Abyss
    • Soul Sacrifice / Delta
    • Freedom Wars
    • Killzone Mercenary
    • Hotline Miami 1&2
    • Sturmfront the Mutant War
    • VA-11 Hall-A
    • Danganronpa series
    • Timespinner
    • Guacamelee
    • Tearaway
    • UnMetal
    • Severed
    • Reverie

• Super Stardust Delta

• Surge Deluxe

• Retro City Rampage

• Iconoclasts

• SteamWorld series

• Super Monkey Ball Banana Splitz

• Wipeout 2048

Edited by MrHealthy
  • Like 1

My suggestions, I love the Vita and my main choices are games that helped me get through some interesting times times. 

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen - Love this games so much, Platted the JP version first during Yokahama lockdown then bought all other territories, I LOVE tenchu

Akibas Trip - Plays well on the tiny Vita

Earth Defense Force 3 Portable / 2017 Portable - Cult Classic? I am obsessed with EDF and am wearing the shirt to prove it

Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed - It's a basic Nep game but full of Nep humor, spent hours on this game without realizing

Dragon's Crown - Translated extremely well on Vita

Tokyo Xanadu - What to say? A decent highschool JRPG, Bought at Gamestop on Sunset Strip. I am an Aussie and the guy behind the counter took a photo of my EB/GS card

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus - You want trophies for the original NG here it is, Very challenging but fun game

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel  - The purest will say you must play the originals first. Bullshit, Start here

God Wars: Future Past - A decent Tactical RPG with overall negative reviews. Make your own choice I guess but I'm about to start again on my Aussie account

Deception 4: The Nightmare princess - Another series I've played since the beginning, A sinister strategy game, So much fun watching the suffering

Of Course Persona 4 golden

Speaking of PSP games, this thread may also be of interest https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/281768-complete-list-of-pspminispsone-games-playable-on-vita/ 

It lists all the PSP and PS1 games that have various levels of compatibility with the Vita. Green games you can download direct with the Vita, blue games you have to download it on a PS3 and then transfer it over, red games do not function. There are lots of PS1 and PSP JRPGs that work with it, like the 2 I mentioned; FFT and Jeanne d'Arc.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everybody's Golf (aka Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational). I'll never stop recommending this game as it is just phenomenal entertainment and my favorite game on Vita. Freedom Wars is another one I'd suggest as you can't play it on any other platform.