Final Fantasy Games

SCREWBWOI

You can play them in any order you like, really. Every Final Fantasy game has it's own story and characters, so you shouldn't worry about any of that.

Just on the side note, my favourite ones are VII, IX and XIII, so maybe try one of those first ? :)

Edited by Ragtag_Dude
  • Like 1

Sadly whenever this question is asked about any franchise with so many games in it, it's always really hard to answer.

Generally VI, VII, IX, X and XII are classed as being some of the best but everyone has their own opinions which are perfectly valid. 

So I would say you have a couple of ways of going about deciding:

Either try and get a load of people's opinions here and collate up the nominations and go with that

Or

Have a look at a plot summary and box art or images from various FF games and see if any of those grab you and you want to know more.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SCREWBWOI said:

I would like to play and platinum the final fantasy games, what order would you guys recommend. I haven't played any

The order doesnt matter with the exception of ff13 trilogy and ffx and its sequel ffx-2. 

I would personally recommend ff7 remake or ffx. ff13 and its two sequels is also an option.

From a plot perspective, they are all their own distinct games (with the exception of X-2 being a direct sequel to X, and XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns being a connected story).  So if those series interest you, I would recommend you play them in order.  The other outliers are XIV (an MMORPG, which, if that is your thing, is absolutely fantastic), Type-Zero (much darker themes than a typical FF game, still a good game), and World of Final Fantasy (if you could it as a FF game, it is good, just different, closer to Ni No Kuni).

So you really can pick anywhere you want to start, and just work through the games at your leisure.  If you are still looking for recommendations, I would suggest picking either old FF (VI*, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2.  XII and the XIII series blur this line), or the newer more action based ones (XII, XIII series, Type-0, XV, VIIR), or the MMORPG (XIV), and play that group first.  They are different enough that it could be somewhat jarring to jump between them.

In the end, it does not really matter, and they can all be played in any order you wish.  Just read a little about each game, and pick one that calls to you the most.

Good luck on this potentially long road you have chosen.  You are in for some of the best games ever made.  While they aren't all gems, there are certainly great games in this list.

*Does not have trophies ... Yet ...

Edited by Sir_Bee

As has been established, the order doesn't really matter as very few of the games have true sequels. Personally, and in order, I have played FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, FFXIII, FFVII, and FF7R.  X is my all time favorite probably since it was my first. 13 was the weakest IMO (side note I did beat it but never got around to syncing the trophies and lost them to the YLOD on my original PS3).

I would recommend looking at story synopsis without spoilers for each game and start with which one most interests you. You could also add a poll to the thread for people to vote on.

I would recommend you to start in VII - until XV if you want to go in order (but it should not really matter since all FF games are different stories and characters, except for those pre sequels and sequels like Crisis Core for FFVII or Lightning Returns for XIII. By the way, if you are playing the XIII trilogy I would suggest doing it in order.

But please, do you a favor and play first FF VII (1997) before playing the remake, it is my best advise. 

Note that XIV is an rpg-MMO, and its trophies requires many hours. 

Edited by Pottercito_
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ragtag_Dude said:

You can play them in any order you like, really. Every Final Fantasy game has it's own story and characters, so you shouldn't worry about any of that.

Just on the side note, my favourite ones are VII, IX and XIII, so maybe try one of those first ? :)

Looks like a lot of people like VII maybe I will consider this as the first one

1 hour ago, Pottercito_ said:

I would recommend you to start in VII - until XV if you want to go in order (but it should not really matter since all FF games are different stories and characters, except for those pre sequels and sequels like Crisis Core for FFVII or Lightning Returns for XIII. By the way, if you are playing the XIII trilogy I would suggest doing it in order.

But please, do you a favor and play first FF VII (1997) before playing the remake, it is my best advise. 

Note that XIV is an rpg-MMO, and its trophies requires many hours. 

Yeah everyone saying VII and sure I'll probably start the (1997) first. Is there a huge difference from the remake? And also I will be skipping XIV as alot of people didn't recommend it.

2 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

As has been established, the order doesn't really matter as very few of the games have true sequels. Personally, and in order, I have played FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, FFXIII, FFVII, and FF7R.  X is my all time favorite probably since it was my first. 13 was the weakest IMO (side note I did beat it but never got around to syncing the trophies and lost them to the YLOD on my original PS3).

I would recommend looking at story synopsis without spoilers for each game and start with which one most interests you. You could also add a poll to the thread for people to vote on.

Yeah I've been researching abit, alot of people are saying FF VII maybe that could be my first?

4 hours ago, Gattusso02 said:

Start with FFVII Remake for sure is my vote :) Best game I've played on PlayStation, just my personal take. :)

That game visually looks amazing can't believe I haven't played it yet, however alot of people are saying to do the original first.

4 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

From a plot perspective, they are all their own distinct games (with the exception of X-2 being a direct sequel to X, and XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns being a connected story).  So if those series interest you, I would recommend you play them in order.  The other outliers are XIV (an MMORPG, which, if that is your thing, is absolutely fantastic), Type-Zero (much darker themes than a typical FF game, still a good game), and World of Final Fantasy (if you could it as a FF game, it is good, just different, closer to Ni No Kuni).

So you really can pick anywhere you want to start, and just work through the games at your leisure.  If you are still looking for recommendations, I would suggest picking either old FF (VI*, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2.  XII and the XIII series blur this line), or the newer more action based ones (XII, XIII series, Type-0, XV, VIIR), or the MMORPG (XIV), and play that group first.  They are different enough that it could be somewhat jarring to jump between them.

In the end, it does not really matter, and they can all be played in any order you wish.  Just read a little about each game, and pick one that calls to you the most.

Good luck on this potentially long road you have chosen.  You are in for some of the best games ever made.  While they aren't all gems, there are certainly great games in this list.

*Does not have trophies ... Yet ...

I Might skip XIV as it requires many hours to complete however I will definitely try Type-0. Also does Lightning Returns come before or after XIII 1&2.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SCREWBWOI said:

I Might skip XIV as it requires many hours to complete however I will definitely try Type-0. Also does Lightning Returns come before or after XIII 1&2.

Lightning Returns is the third in the series.  Not many people liked it, but honestly, I enjoyed the whole series, so your mileage may vary.

FFVII was my first.  It was honestly my first experience into the JRPG world, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Edited by Sir_Bee
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SCREWBWOI said:

Looks like a lot of people like VII maybe I will consider this as the first one

Yeah everyone saying VII and sure I'll probably start the (1997) first. Is there a huge difference from the remake? And also I will be skipping XIV as alot of people didn't recommend it.

Yeah I've been researching abit, alot of people are saying FF VII maybe that could be my first?

That game visually looks amazing can't believe I haven't played it yet, however alot of people are saying to do the original first.

The thing goes as follows: FF VII has many fanboys (like me) but also some people do not consider it the greatest FF (or the greatest game) of all time. If you enjoy playing retro, then there is no reason to not enjoy this kind of games. Nevertheless, FF VII has aged and with the standars of nowadays it feels odd and veeery old. Nostalgia is what keeps holding this game on 2021 for fans, but thew turn-based combat, the combinations of magic and the story is just gorgeous. It has one of the deepest stories in videogames and in that time videogames did not tell stories like FF VII did, including socio-economic problems and so on, also taking into account the antagonist and so on (no spoilers). The remake, (I bought it recently, will starting it soon) would be a great experience, but it would be better if you played first the original.

Note that FF VII ports in PC and PS4 had cheat like X3 speed, no random encounters and God Mode (all limits and no-death run actually), I would highly recommend not using God Mode so you enjoy the game as itself, I used god mode but because I already enjoyed this game back on the day in 2007-2008, so Im speedrunning for my plat #100 (I want this to be my #100). However, I do not activate God mode during boss fights. 

For grinding (and you will be farming A LOT for plat) use God mode for sure!! Good luck. 

If you want any tips for FF VII, IX, XI, XII, XIII and XV you can contact me. Also I would suggest you (if you have PSP, and PS2) to play Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus that are pre-sequels and sequels of FF VII.

Edited by Pottercito_

So everyone else is pretty on point with recommendations, but what you're looking to also do it PLATINUM these games. That's a whole other matter. Balancing ease-of-platinum with enjoyment-of-game, you're still best starting with VII, and I don't think there's an advantage to whether you play the remake or the original first, personally. You'll just get different experiences. I wouldn't recommend playing just the remake, but it might be fun to play that to get a better translation and handle on the characters before going to original.

After VII, I think XV is the next easiest platinum, and a game I personally enjoyed more than most. But. You can no longer 100% this game as the DLC multiplayer is now offline.

Next you'll want to look at X and XIII, still very modern-feeling games, with pretty reasonable platinums, though X's celestial weapons may be too hard for some.

Check out my main site profile. If I've platinum'd a Final Fantasy, then it's a very do-able platinum, I'm not a highly skilled gamer, just a persistant one.

Edited by Andrew1990M

Personally I'd say 7, 9 or 10.

7 is probably the most accessible gameplay wise.  Also of those 3 the trophies are the easiest.

Next up I'd say 10.  It's gonna give you more of the FF experience in terms of grinding and side quests.  I also prefer the story more.  The leveling system can be a bit intimidating but it's actually pretty easy to learn.  It's my personal favorite.

IX is more FF in terms of the overall package.  It also has the hardest trophies of those three, and you'll either love or hate the job system here, as it's a bit more restricted.  This is a good one if you want to go back and play through more of them that don't have trophies.

I would avoid VIII, XII and XIII out of the gate.  They are good but they are niche gameplay wise and really are the only ones that feel like them.

XV is also good but is hard to imitate else where I the series.

VII remake is pretty good, and Type 0 is ok I guess.  I haven't spent much, if anytime with the others.

Edited by willythom88

Don´t start with ff7R if you want an true  Final Fantasy experience. I love the old ones including the game where my name comes from but for a beginner i would recommend FFX. It has a good Story and it´s pretty straight forward. Don´t start with X-2 though even if these waifus look tempting. ;D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DarkStarSquall said:

Don´t start with ff7R if you want an true  Final Fantasy experience. I love the old ones including the game where my name comes from but for a beginner i would recommend FFX. It has a good Story and it´s pretty straight forward. Don´t start with X-2 though even if these waifus look tempting. ;D

Yeah defo when I play games I prefer to learn about the universe more than just platinums so I prefer to start from classics for example although I've played ratchet and clank (PS3 and PS4) before I never played the PS2 version as I was too young so I decided to play it now before I platinum the other ones. 

FFX looks good so some gameplay looking forward to it :)

2 hours ago, willythom88 said:

Personally I'd say 7, 9 or 10.

7 is probably the most accessible gameplay wise.  Also of those 3 the trophies are the easiest.

Next up I'd say 10.  It's gonna give you more of the FF experience in terms of grinding and side quests.  I also prefer the story more.  The leveling system can be a bit intimidating but it's actually pretty easy to learn.  It's my personal favorite.

IX is more FF in terms of the overall package.  It also has the hardest trophies of those three, and you'll either love or hate the job system here, as it's a bit more restricted.  This is a good one if you want to go back and play through more of them that don't have trophies.

I would avoid VIII, XII and XIII out of the gate.  They are good but they are niche gameplay wise and really are the only ones that feel like them.

XV is also good but is hard to imitate else where I the series.

VII remake is pretty good, and Type 0 is ok I guess.  I haven't spent much, if anytime with the others.

I think I'm gonna start with 7 (original) as it's recommended the most by others and work my way up.

2 hours ago, Andrew1990M said:

So everyone else is pretty on point with recommendations, but what you're looking to also do it PLATINUM these games. That's a whole other matter. Balancing ease-of-platinum with enjoyment-of-game, you're still best starting with VII, and I don't think there's an advantage to whether you play the remake or the original first, personally. You'll just get different experiences. I wouldn't recommend playing just the remake, but it might be fun to play that to get a better translation and handle on the characters before going to original.

After VII, I think XV is the next easiest platinum, and a game I personally enjoyed more than most. But. You can no longer 100% this game as the DLC multiplayer is now offline.

Next you'll want to look at X and XIII, still very modern-feeling games, with pretty reasonable platinums, though X's celestial weapons may be too hard for some.

Check out my main site profile. If I've platinum'd a Final Fantasy, then it's a very do-able platinum, I'm not a highly skilled gamer, just a persistant one.

I was tempted to get XV last year but thought I would be very confused so I held off. Since there is a alot to get through I may play all of them once before I attempt to platinum as I am afraid I might burn myself out as most are 40-100 hours.

3 hours ago, Pottercito_ said:

The thing goes as follows: FF VII has many fanboys (like me) but also some people do not consider it the greatest FF (or the greatest game) of all time. If you enjoy playing retro, then there is no reason to not enjoy this kind of games. Nevertheless, FF VII has aged and with the standars of nowadays it feels odd and veeery old. Nostalgia is what keeps holding this game on 2021 for fans, but thew turn-based combat, the combinations of magic and the story is just gorgeous. It has one of the deepest stories in videogames and in that time videogames did not tell stories like FF VII did, including socio-economic problems and so on, also taking into account the antagonist and so on (no spoilers). The remake, (I bought it recently, will starting it soon) would be a great experience, but it would be better if you played first the original.

Note that FF VII ports in PC and PS4 had cheat like X3 speed, no random encounters and God Mode (all limits and no-death run actually), I would highly recommend not using God Mode so you enjoy the game as itself, I used god mode but because I already enjoyed this game back on the day in 2007-2008, so Im speedrunning for my plat #100 (I want this to be my #100). However, I do not activate God mode during boss fights. 

For grinding (and you will be farming A LOT for plat) use God mode for sure!! Good luck. 

If you want any tips for FF VII, IX, XI, XII, XIII and XV you can contact me. Also I would suggest you (if you have PSP, and PS2) to play Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus that are pre-sequels and sequels of FF VII.

I'm a big fan of classic games so I will probably enjoy the older final fantasies. I'll defo contact you If I need any advice. Sadly I no longer own a psp or PS3 so it may be difficult so I might just watch some YouTube videos on it.

Edited by SCREWBWOI
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sir_Bee said:

Lightning Returns is the third in the series.  Not many people liked it, but honestly, I enjoyed the whole series, so your mileage may vary.

FFVII was my first.  It was honestly my first experience into the JRPG world, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

Thanks for the advice, looks like FFVII is the way to go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SCREWBWOI said:

Thanks for the advice, looks like FFVII is the way to go.

Excellent choice, it was a great experience. I used the exploits and did regret doing so, I second not using them if you can manage it.

I also played the Remake afterwards and it was great experience playing them back to back and you will definitely get more out of it by being able to understand the call backs to the original game. I hope you enjoy the first steps in your Final Fantasy journey!

Starting with the original FF7 is a great idea. You get an introduction to the series and a pretty easy game to platinum. Definitely play it before the remake. There are some changes to the story in the remake that you can only appreciate if you've played the original. FFX is a good choice as well, it's the most modern of the classic Final Fantasies. Now that I think of it, why not just go in the order the games were released? You'll see how the games have changed over the years, gradually becoming the FF we know and love/don't love today. Honestly, that's how I would go about it i think, starting with 7.

3 hours ago, da-Noob123 said:

Excellent choice, it was a great experience. I used the exploits and did regret doing so, I second not using them if you can manage it.

I also played the Remake afterwards and it was great experience playing them back to back and you will definitely get more out of it by being able to understand the call backs to the original game. I hope you enjoy the first steps in your Final Fantasy journey!

Thanks! Looks like everyone did the same as you and enjoyed it better. Just need to slowly acquire all of them and find a time to start it as my backlog is already huge lmao and all of them seem lengthy platinums

3 hours ago, the1andonly654 said:

Starting with the original FF7 is a great idea. You get an introduction to the series and a pretty easy game to platinum. Definitely play it before the remake. There are some changes to the story in the remake that you can only appreciate if you've played the original. FFX is a good choice as well, it's the most modern of the classic Final Fantasies. Now that I think of it, why not just go in the order the games were released? You'll see how the games have changed over the years, gradually becoming the FF we know and love/don't love today. Honestly, that's how I would go about it i think, starting with 7.

This is why I usually prefer to play classics first as references and story are much more effective for example the infamous part in God of War 2018 (won't mention just incase of spoilers).

Yeah my initial plan was to do release order as it seemed most logical but since alot of people said some are connected and some aren't I thought it would be better to ask the community to help better understand the universe.

11 hours ago, SCREWBWOI said:

Yeah my initial plan was to do release order as it seemed most logical but since alot of people said some are connected and some aren't I thought it would be better to ask the community to help better understand the universe.

Numerical order (VII being the first with trophies I believe), is not a bad way to go about it.  That way the games will slowly become more modern as you go, rather than jumping around.  It is a long road, but VII, IX, X, and XII are some of the more loved games of the series.  Many also love VIII, I just never really got into it myself.  The VII Remake, in my opinion, is a must have on the list, but it would not be a bad idea to hold off and maybe by the time you get through some of the older games, Part 2 is either here or closer.

Special note, I am not sure exactly where I would put Type-0 on that list, probably after XII and before XIII, but that is flexible.  XI and XIV are both MMORPG's, and I am not even sure you could play XI anymore.  If that gamestyle is your think, XIV is a fantastic game, but I would leave it for last if you do decide to try it out.  So that would make the order something like this:

VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, Type-0, XIII, XIII-2, Lightning Returns, XV, VIIR, XIV)  Also, if you are enjoying the FF lore, but want something a little different in-between some of these games, World of Final Fantasy was a fun cute game that I really enjoyed.  Could be worth a look as well.

You have a lot of great games ahead of you, I wish you the best of luck.  Maybe you could keep a thread going with your progress, if that was something you are interested in.

Edited by Sir_Bee
Added info