Sonic Frontiers - PS4 | PS5

Eraezr

I don't know. I keep hoping and praying that Sonic Team finally figures out how to make a great modern, 3D Sonic game. Games like Sonic Mania are great and all...but when the old school 2D 16 Bit style is the only one they can get right...there's a problem. 

• Like 3

Well this is awesome news.

Gonna be an instant pre-order (I know, I know...) for me, just to send the message of 'yes, this, more of that'.

The cherry on top is all the delicious salt we're going to get from Ken Penders being a baby about it.

• Like 1

Looks like fun and I'm hoping they'll focus more on the "Boost" mechanic over platforming.

I watched Sonic Unleashed's Daytime stages running in 60FPS on Xbox Series X, and it was amazing. I really want that level of performance for Frontiers.  

Not sure how the open-world will work, but I hope it turns out good!

• Like 1

I hope this turns out well, I've always wanted to jump into a Sonic game, but nothing has really grabbed me, maybe this is the one.

Only "bothered" by one thing, the art style. Sonic looks so out of place in a realistic environment. Either make the environment more stylized or adapt Sonic to fit a realistic world, add a fur texture, for example.

I'm... just going to put this out there. Probably controversial.

I kind of feel like... Sonic doing an open world game (potentially at least) is too much 'trend following' so to speak. Don't get me wrong though. Most open world games I've played so far (or open world-ish at least) I've LOVED for the most part. That being stuff like Final Fantasy XV, Nier Automata, Pokemon Sword/Shield (to an extent in the Wild Area), and currently am loving Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition as well. There are probably more examples but those are the ones that I remember the most and come to my mind right now.

But it seems like literally everyone is doing an 'open world' game right now so it just seems like... 'trend following' in Sonic's case and just seems... unoriginal. Like... they couldn't come up with anything so they just decided to be lazy, follow the trends, and do another 'open world' style game. Sure, Sega apparently said it's 'open zone' and not 'open world' but I don't really see what the difference is. The most I can think of is it's similar to Sonic Adventure and Sonic '06 (OH GOD) in terms of what that could potentially mean. I guess Sonic Unleashed as well to an extent. But I'd still say there really isn't much difference and it's practically the same thing.

Just because it's 'open world' doesn't necessarily automatically mean that everyone is going to love it. Hell Pokemon Sword/Shield technically falls into that category (though personally I still LOVED that game and think the hate it got was far too much but that's neither here nor there and a different topic for another day)

But it is what it is I guess. I'm also not saying it's going to be horrible. As I said in my original post above... I'm cautiously optimistic for it. I'm just also very aware of the past when it comes to Sonic games so the possibility of it being another massive disappointment is still very much there.

But yeah I'd say gameplay is needed for this to really have an idea if it's going to be good or not. Or at least give us some clue as to whether it will be good or not. Playing the game itself always takes priority over than judging it just from trailers/gameplay/etc.

But this is just me again and me only as always I guess.

Edited by SelectiveGamer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I'm... just going to put this out there. Probably controversial.

I kind of feel like... Sonic doing an open world game (potentially at least) is too much 'trend following' so to speak. Don't get me wrong though. Most open world games I've played so far (or open world-ish at least) I've LOVED for the most part. That being stuff like Final Fantasy XV, Nier Automata, Pokemon Sword/Shield (to an extent in the Wild Area), and currently am loving Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition as well. There are probably more examples but those are the ones that I remember the most and come to my mind right now.

But it seems like literally everyone is doing an 'open world' game right now so it just seems like... 'trend following' in Sonic's case and just seems... unoriginal. Like... they couldn't come up with anything so they just decided to be lazy, follow the trends, and do another 'open world' style game. Sure, Sega apparently said it's 'open zone' and not 'open world' but I don't really see what the difference is. The most I can think of is it's similar to Sonic Adventure and Sonic '06 (OH GOD) in terms of what that could potentially mean. I guess Sonic Unleashed as well to an extent. But I'd still say there really isn't much difference and it's practically the same thing.

Just because it's 'open world' doesn't necessarily automatically mean that everyone is going to love it. Hell Pokemon Sword/Shield technically falls into that category (though personally I still LOVED that game and think the hate it got was far too much but that's neither here nor there and a different topic for another day)

But it is what it is I guess. I'm also not saying it's going to be horrible. As I said in my original post above... I'm cautiously optimistic for it. I'm just also very aware of the past when it comes to Sonic games so the possibility of it being another massive disappointment is still very much there.

But yeah I'd say gameplay is needed for this to really have an idea if it's going to be good or not. Or at least give us some clue as to whether it will be good or not. Playing the game itself always takes priority over than judging it just from trailers/gameplay/etc.

But this is just me again and me only as always I guess.

I don't see Open World as a trend anymore...it's just the natural evolution of gaming. People talk about how they're tired of it and want linear games again...but that works about as often as open world does, there's no down side to either one, it's about the execution of what they choose to build it around. 

But in Sonic's case...he needs something. Because frankly 99% of his 3D games have been mediocre to pure trash, and the few that are "good" are just okay at best. The fact that we get this string of mediocrity, then Sonic Mania comes around (a classic 2D style Sonic game), and gets the best reviews of a Sonic game since his Genesis days, and it was made by fans, says a lot. In other words Sonic Team...the actual devs that work for Sega, haven't made a truly great Sonic game in 20+ years. 

For all we know this is what the series needs. I mean I was there for the Sonic vs. Mario wars in the 90's (I was team Sonic mostly since I had a Genesis)...Mario has managed to reinvent itself time and time again and remain relevant, hopping genre's and pulling off greatness almost every time. Yet Sonic just can't seem to do the same thing unless it sticks itself in the past with 16 bit graphics and 2D side scrolling. I don't have a lot of hope in this game, but making it more open could be the right move...I mean we all crap all over Sonic 06, but I honestly thought that game had a great foundation, solid ideas...it was just executed poorly. If they can take a similar route and just not make the same mistakes, it could be a hit. 

• Like 1

Eventually, I think I’d also love to see a port of Sonic Boom. I never owned too many Nintendo consoles in my time, so even missed out on the original release of Colours years ago.

If they could do a “touch-up” of sorts like they did with Colours and bring it over to PlayStation, I think Boom could be pretty fun. And maybe a port of Shuffle from the Dreamcast era for good measure. ?

• 2 weeks later...

The thing with open world is that some franchises like zelda it makes sense to go fully open world because the core designs of the older titles laid the foundation for what the series could be but technology limited what they could do(for example ocarina of time felt like hyrule field was just a hub connecting 6 linear branching paths while twilight princess used that same core map as a skeleton but expanded upon it and made it feel much more open even though you still had the more linear paths). Sonic on the other hand its core design is basically more suited for stage based design and honestly if its fully open world and not like adventure or 06 where its just big hub worlds then it will be a radical departure from what the core of sonic is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jgm4789 said:

The thing with open world is that some franchises like zelda it makes sense to go fully open world because the core designs of the older titles laid the foundation for what the series could be but technology limited what they could do(for example ocarina of time felt like hyrule field was just a hub connecting 6 linear branching paths while twilight princess used that same core map as a skeleton but expanded upon it and made it feel much more open even though you still had the more linear paths). Sonic on the other hand its core design is basically more suited for stage based design and honestly if its fully open world and not like adventure or 06 where its just big hub worlds then it will be a radical departure from what the core of sonic is.

I don't know, if they build an open world that's uniquely tailored to Sonic, it could work. Like instead of your typical flat terrain open world, you make them where you can run at high speeds as Sonic and hit ramps and loops that have rings to collect or maybe a power up top and you have to figure out how to get to it, they can create obstacles and connected areas that require you to navigate this world in a specific, Sonic sort of way. 

Their creativity needs to flow. I mean honestly if they did it right, they could tackle two big things plaguing gaming right now. More unique open worlds and how to create a game with a character that can run at high speeds (I call it a plague because I desperately want a single player, open world Flash game lol). It's time for them to figure something out with this character...something new, modern, utilize the tech they have...not just keep making the same old thing all the time. Like I said before...if 16 Bit Sonic is all that works...then what's the point anymore? 

Edited by Viper

Yeah, we'll have to see gameplay to really get a taste of what Frontiers is going to play like. A few in-engine shots of locations in a CGI trailer don't tell much.

An open-world Sonic game sounds like a tough task, but they probably went with the idea because fans have been working on 3D Sonic open-world games for years now. It looks like many people want something like this.

I'm a 2D Sonic fan personally, but I'd say there's a place for new 3D game ideas. I'm sure a good Sonic open-world game is not impossible to make. But it must meet some criterias, I guess. The world must be pretty big. Sonic is super fast, so you will just run from one world border to the other in 10 minutes if the map is too small.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Slava said:

Yeah, we'll have to see gameplay to really get a taste of what Frontiers is going to play like. A few in-engine shots of locations in a CGI trailer don't tell much.

An open-world Sonic game sounds like a tough task, but they probably went with the idea because fans have been working on 3D Sonic open-world games for years now. It looks like many people want something like this.

I'm a 2D Sonic fan personally, but I'd say there's a place for new 3D game ideas. I'm sure a good Sonic open-world game is not impossible to make. But it must meet some criterias, I guess. The world must be pretty big. Sonic is super fast, so you will just run from one world border to the other in 10 minutes if the map is too small.

Oh damn! I didn't even know this existed but it's exactly what I had in mind with what I said in my post above about an open world uniquely tailored to Sonic. Instead of flat terrains, you have those jumps and ramps and loops and platforming unique to how he plays....except with those graphics shown in Frontiers of course. But yeah if they can pull THAT off in a proper development, I think it could work. 

• Like 1