Sonic Frontiers - PS4 | PS5

Eraezr

11 minutes ago, Viper said:

Oh damn! I didn't even know this existed but it's exactly what I had in mind with what I said in my post above about an open world uniquely tailored to Sonic. Instead of flat terrains, you have those jumps and ramps and loops and platforming unique to how he plays....except with those graphics shown in Frontiers of course. But yeah if they can pull THAT off in a proper development, I think it could work. 

There are other fan games you can find on YouTube. I believe, some of them have more realistic graphics, not sure what the gameplay looks like though. But yeah, Sonic fans have been hard at work doing impressive stuff. 

I can't help but think of a big "UH-OH" at the prospect of Sonic being adapted into an open-world 3D game. Sure, it sounds promising and exciting but I personally think Sonic isn't really suited to that style of game, not in his main games at least. If it were to be a spin-off, I could understand. Or maybe, have some sort of an open hub world only that connects to all these self-contained stages a la Sonic Adventure. That would make sense. But an all-open-world Sonic game? I don't know. On one side, I don't think Sonic lends very well to that style, and on the second side, I don't think Sonic Team has the skills to pull this one off in a competent manner. The trailer didn't exactly show any gameplay either so it's difficult to see how that will turn out to be. 

Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong with this game and I'll end up being awesome, it certainly has the potential to turn out that way, but for the time being, I'd rather be skeptical about it. :hmm:

On 23/12/2021 at 9:21 AM, Slava said:

Yeah, we'll have to see gameplay to really get a taste of what Frontiers is going to play like. A few in-engine shots of locations in a CGI trailer don't tell much.

An open-world Sonic game sounds like a tough task, but they probably went with the idea because fans have been working on 3D Sonic open-world games for years now. It looks like many people want something like this.

I'm a 2D Sonic fan personally, but I'd say there's a place for new 3D game ideas. I'm sure a good Sonic open-world game is not impossible to make. But it must meet some criterias, I guess. The world must be pretty big. Sonic is super fast, so you will just run from one world border to the other in 10 minutes if the map is too small.

Now, THIS. This looks competent and well done. First time I hear about this particular fan project. I have heard and seen of a few Sonic 3D world adaptations by fans in the past, but this one here looks mighty impressive. Something like this could work for a mainline title in the Sonic franchise.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Graphically it's impressive for a Sonic game. But I'm still worried about the gameplay. I think the thing that hurts Sonic so much in games like this is the lack of control...where it's just constantly pressing a button over and over to do the same attack back to back until you have to gain momentum to do it all over again, it's what gets boring about them. And I fear this has that same static gameplay feel to it. 

People will hype it, it's gonna be released and will play like most Sonic games with an okay story and great soundtrack then people will complain that they were expecting more from everything, rinse and repeat, some people expect a Sonic game to give something it was never meant to and yet get disappointed, Internet never changes.

Sonic the Hedgehog was probably one of the very first gaming franchises that took a steep nosedive. Funny enough, this was back in the 1990s during the Tech Boom and Golden Era of gaming.

SEGA never had an official Sonic game exclusive to the Sega Saturn, which was a disaster especially when compared with the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation 1. The Sega Dreamcast was decent from what I remember as a kid, but it was already too late.

Sonic himself has wallowed in mediocrity for roughly 20 years at this point. Yet he remains an icon of gaming history, most notably for being an actual competitor to Nintendo's Mario.

SEGA does what Nintendon't. That was from a very old 90s commercial that aired here in the United States. Unfortunately that ended up biting SEGA.

Sonic Team will probably crank out another slightly above mediocre title as is their custom. This franchise has been mediocre for longer than a lot of gaming flagship franchises been around, which is saying something.

Don't expect a huge hit out of this one. If you've known Sonic since the 1990s then you probably already know to come into these games with low expectations.

• Like 1

Was going to say a few things about the teaser, but I'll just wait till after the full reveal.

Story-wise, I’m hoping for something darker. Anyone else remember one of the two Sonic cartoons in the 90’s? When Robotnik had basically taken over all of Mobius, and Sonic & friends were the planet’s very last sliver of hope?

Looking forward to the new movie, too! 1f37f.png

Forces is dark and has that exact same plot. The writing quality just wasn't as competent as the well written dark story elements in many of the previous titles, which im surprised you didn't use as a reference instead.

The movie is great, but that was to be expected as Sonic consistently does extremely well in other media (especially tv/movies and comics).

On 12/11/2021 at 6:57 PM, JavaNext said:

I hope this turns out well, I've always wanted to jump into a Sonic game, but nothing has really grabbed me, maybe this is the one.

I urge you to pick up any of the many other titles that have already been released. There are multiple good 2D and 3D titles. While Sonic games are no stranger to innovation whatsoever, this title is taking the same kind of new direction and changing the formula as Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Pokemon Legends Arceus did in their respective series. Although in comparison, this is a bit more unfamiliar ground for Sonic. Sonic games are usually level-based, linear with few wide-open areas, and has no emphasis on combat but emphasis on speed(ing through stages).

On 5/31/2022 at 0:42 PM, Viper said:

Graphically it's impressive for a Sonic game. But I'm still worried about the gameplay.

I think the thing that hurts Sonic so much in games like this is the lack of control...where it's just constantly pressing a button over and over to do the same attack back to back until you have to gain momentum to do it all over again, it's what gets boring about them. And I fear this has that same static gameplay feel to it. 

... Not exactly sure why you're saying "for a Sonic game". Sonic's graphics has been great since the original genesis games. Sonic Unleashed is commonly agreed to be one of the best looking titles of the 7th gen. Sonic Colors is also commonly agreed to be one of the top best looking Wii titles and has been compared to Super Mario Galaxy by multiple critics and users. Many other titles before and after have been praised graphically as well.

... Heavily disagree. Think it's been the complete opposite. The momentum in recent games (except Mania) differs from older titles, but the way it is now perfectly encapsulates how a more speedrun-based platformer is suppose to be, especially when the level design and stage length are good. All of these things together are why the formula has worked, been used, and praised for over a decade since the Rush series and Unleashed. The gameplay always sustains this strong exhilarating feeling from start to end.

This is far from boring...
Unleashed

Generations

Forces

Edited by EcoShifter
wrong video for Forces
  • Like 1

The gameplay reveal sure was something, I still dont understand the point of it being open world.

Sonic seems to be collecting some items but what do they do? Just health upgrades? Open worlds need to reward exploration and stat buffs arent enough on their own.

But its still early and we should get more info on the systems soon.

• Like 2

This game will be received well only if the software can lock down a smooth 60Hz and no texture/asset pop-in. Which will be tough for the PS4's HDD. It's do-able on the PS5 however. Other feedback I have is that there could be a better sense of terrain feedback on Sonic's running animation, for slightly uneven ground.

I can already envision people being disappointed by the game and giving it 75 on Metacritic. The gameplay demo felt weird. Nothing particularly bad, but it looks like it's missing something. Although it's just one portion so far.

Yesterday, the first thing people complained about was the floating rails above the hills, and they said that the previous games incorporated these elements into environment much better. After watching the gameplay demo, I see what they mean, but it doesn't really bother me. That said, the overall world design (or at least the part they've shown with forest, hills, and some stone objects) is not impressive at all. It does remind me of the Unreal Engine fan projects you'd see on YouTube. I hope and expect that there are more different areas on the island, and the entire game doesn't look like this.

Today, I saw people mention Sonic's speed in this game. I think it makes sense that he's slower in an open world game compared to a linear level based game. You just need to make the areas fun to explore. The tower, the rail sections and the puzzles were alright, but a bit too bland. There's gotta be more interesting stuff to explore.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, EcoShifter said:

All of these things together are why the formula has worked, been used, and praised for over a decade since the Rush series and Unleashed

Me and you have VERY different outlooks on how Sonic has been since the Genesis days. I don't know where you're seeing any praise for the 3D style Sonic games because they get nothing but criticism for never hitting the mark on what people want. And the fact that Sonic Mania comes around, goes BACK to the 2D 16-Bit style from the days of old and is the most critically successful Sonic game SINCE the Genesis days...speaks volumes on how dire this franchise has been. And speaks further volumes on how Sonic can't seem to succeed unless it's doing something the old way. 

Like I said in a previous post. Something like Mario (Sonic's biggest rival) has managed to reinvent itself time and time again and succeed massively within the confines of multiple genres. Sonic has tried, tried and tried again to do somethng...ANYTHING...to succeed, and it never does. The best games in the 3D side of things, got lukewarm receptions at best...but they never got that game that made people say "Yes! This is it! This is how Sonic should be now!". 

So with Frontiers they have the opportunity to try something new with Sonic again, possibly the "thing" it needs to finally shine. But going back to this same old gameplay loop routine isn't going to help it at all. Yes Sonic should be fast paced and frantic...but we also need to control that pacing. All I see here is a Sonic game with a new environment idea, but making the same gameplay mistakes that it always makes. 

14 minutes ago, Slava said:

I can already envision people being disappointed by the game and giving it 75 on Metacritic. The gameplay demo felt odd. Nothing particularly bad, but it looks like it's missing something. Although it's just one portion so far.

Yesterday, the first thing people complained about was the floating rails above the hills, and they said that the previous games incorporated these elements into environment much better. After watching the gameplay demo, I see what they mean, but it doesn't really bother me. That said, the overall world design (or at least the part they've shown with forest, hills, and some stone objects) is not impressive at all. It does remind me of the Unreal Engine fan projects you'd see on YouTube. I hope and expect that there are more different areas on the island, and the entire game doesn't look like this.

Today, I saw people mention Sonic's speed in this game. I think it makes sense that he's slower in an open world game compared to a linear level based game. You just need to make the areas fun to explore. The tower, the rail sections and the puzzles were alright, but a bit too bland. There's gotta be more interesting stuff to explore.

75 doesn't sound bad to me. I guess 75 is the new 50.

The gameplay demo was light. There wasn't any fighitng and only demonstrated some puzzle mechanics. Nothing odd, just need to realize how controlled the information is for the game at this point. I'd am fine wanting to see more because I think that is the point of teasers. I won't complain about not seeing everything because a trailer or 2 isn't doing a complete walkthrough of the game.

35 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

This game will be received well only if the software can lock down a smooth 60Hz and no texture/asset pop-in. Which will be tough for the PS4's HDD. It's do-able on the PS5 however. Other feedback I have is that there could be a better sense of terrain feedback on Sonic's running animation, for slightly uneven ground.

That's rather extreme since no game released on any console has been able to acheive that. Plenty of games with tons of graphical hiccups still go on to be GOTYs noms, winners, and even "GOTG" contenders. 

• Like 1

I’m… actually…cautiously optimistic about this, for some reason. I kinda dig that demo vid. 

In my opinion, there has never been a good Sonic game (aside from the cart racers,) but this seems like potentially the most promising attempt in a long while.

A wait and see from me - but that’s better than the immediate dismissal most Sonic games traditionally get :dunno:

38 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

75 doesn't sound bad to me.

Same.

39 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

I guess 75 is the new 50.

Exactly. 70-75 on Metacritic is a low score for a game nowadays. 

40 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

There wasn't any fighitng and only demonstrated some puzzle mechanics.

I know.

That's why I didn't mention combat at all. That's why I said "Although it's just one portion so far". 

1 hour ago, Slava said:

Same.

Exactly. 70-75 on Metacritic is a low score for a game nowadays. 

I know.

That's why I didn't mention combat at all. That's why I said "Although it's just one portion so far". 

There is combat in the teaser that's why I mentioned it looking like the same thing we've been seeing for years. Unless yall are talking about something I didn't see above. 

EDIT: You must mean the IGN video. There's combat in the teaser video posted yesterday. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TJ_Solo said:

That's rather extreme since no game released on any console has been able to acheive that. Plenty of games with tons of graphical hiccups still go on to be GOTYs noms, winners, and even "GOTG" contenders. 

Well, I disagree because games like Haven were able to achieve that kind of software integrity for me on PS5. And there are a ton of games on PS4 which do run on the PS4 Pro with no 60-dips/no texture pop-ins. First that comes to mind for that is Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition.

As for those GOTG winners, I won't dispute that. However, those games like The Witcher 3 and Elden Ring do not have a gameplay loop that's specifically dependent on frame rate and asset streaming as much as what I believe Sonic Frontiers will be reliant on. Sonic's gameplay type in this kind of open world has to work with the "running around open world" gameplay loop, because it's not going to be carried by GRRM's writing or excellent side quest design from CDPR.

Edited by Eraezr

I really hope knuckles or tails are playable because the whole open world style fits them far more then sonic but otherwise this feels like they made a game out of they made a game out of the adventure 1/06/unleashed hubworlds but with hopefully better controls(even though unleashed is my 3rd favorite sonic game and my favorite 3d sonic i cany deny those hubs were jank)

Can't shake a glum inkling that Frontiers will wind up the Dynasty Warriors 9 of Sonic the Hedgehog. And yet, much like DW9, I -will- play Frontiers for sure, and will probably like a *lot* of the game regardless of any of its substandard design decisions. I am unshakably part of the 'problem': Sonic, whether 2D or 3D, auto-appeals to me, right to my core.

Tails and Knuckles would rule in a modern-day hub world game. :o I have no expectation of their inclusion into the base game here, but a fool and her cash are eventually parted in that I *would* shell out for Tails/Knuckles DLC.

• Like 2