The Ultra Rare Cleanup 2022

Ultra Rare Cleanup 2023 improvements  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Quarterly Most Wanted Bounty system remain in 2023?

• Yes, the Bounty system is ok as it is, with interchangeable games every quarter and a small list of fixed bounties
    • No, I prefer a fixed Bounty system from the start
  2. 2. How many game entries should Tiers have in 2023?

• 5 entries per tier
    • 10 entries per tier
  3. 3. In case of a Quarterly bounty system, which option do you prefer?

• 2022 version (10 new bounties each quarter)
    • Hybrid (all bounties are shown at the beginning of the event, structured on quarters. Bounties will gradually expire)

1 hour ago, willythom88 said:

Rayman 3

OMG this game ? I will DEFINITELY take this one into consideration for when we're making the lists.

Super Meat Boy got nothing on armless dog with stupid trophies xD this was a nightmare to play on PC, heard the PS3 version is 3 times more awful.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Copanele said:

OMG this game ? I will DEFINITELY take this one into consideration for when we're making the lists.

Super Meat Boy got nothing on armless dog with stupid trophies xD this was a nightmare to play on PC, heard the PS3 version is 3 times more awful.

Ha, I actually took a swing at it last year for another event.  The controls are serviceable enough but by the time I got to the first (possibly?) boss, I was very burnt out on the jumping mechanic iirc.

5 minutes ago, Together_Comic said:

Definitely in!  Though 10 games is going to be tough for me given how glacial I am ?.  Tentative list is above.  Though I'd really like a true platformer if anyone has suggestions.  Look forward to another great year.  Thanks for hosting @Copanele and @Arcesius

Leo's Fortune, Giana Sisters, Super Cloudbuilt, Spelunky 2 and Electronic Super Joy would be some thoughts. 

Edited by willythom88

On 12/10/2021 at 3:02 PM, Copanele said:

A game is only eligible it it had at least one unobtained UR trophy, be it in the main game or DLC. An exception to this rule are non-platinum games without DLC that have no UR trophies but a UR 100% completion (ex. Zuma)

I have a bit of a question about this rule: do plats count as the "unobtained UR trophy" for purposes of this? I ask since if that is the case, then while the rule makes sense for non-plat lists and cases of saving DLC for the event, the rule wouldn't work for plat lists since someone could just save a non-UR trophy for last and then claim the plat as their UR, making the rule effectively pointless for those games. :hmm:

1 minute ago, Walt the Dog said:

I have a bit of a question about this rule: do plats count as the "unobtained UR trophy" for purposes of this? I ask since if that is the case, then while the rule makes sense for non-plat lists and cases of saving DLC for the event, the rule wouldn't work for plat lists since someone could just save a non-UR trophy for last and then claim the plat as their UR, making the rule effectively pointless for those games. :hmm:

Plats do count for the "unobtained UR trophy", we don't want to be THAT strict with requirements xD

For example, say that you have everything done in Persona 4 Arena except the "See all endings" trophy which is a 19.4% trophy. You would have that left and the platinum which is 0.39%. That is allowed :D you went through the hassle of completing the game after all. We went for the definition of "UR cleanup" so in a way...you are cleaning up an ultra rare trophy xD  

However if your final trophy is non-UR and from a DLC(say that you got all the other trophies a while ago and you got one pesky "Watch a Replay" DLC trophy) then it's not eligible. It wouldn't cover the requirements for the event. 

8 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Plats do count for the "unobtained UR trophy", we don't want to be THAT strict with requirements xD

For example, say that you have everything done in Persona 4 Arena except the "See all endings" trophy which is a 19.4% trophy. You would have that left and the platinum which is 0.39%. That is allowed :D you went through the hassle of completing the game after all. We went for the definition of "UR cleanup" so in a way...you are cleaning up an ultra rare trophy xD  

However if your final trophy is non-UR and from a DLC(say that you got all the other trophies a while ago and you got one pesky "Watch a Replay" DLC trophy) then it's not eligible. It wouldn't cover the requirements for the event. 

What I don't get about this is that this decision also unfairly affects non-plat lists since they don't have a plat to use in instances like this. To put forth a possible use case, let's say that I decided to go through Peggle, a game that has UR trophies, and did everything (including the offline-only Peggle Nights DLC) except the online trophies, which are both non-UR and within the base list. Even though this is within the same jurisdiction as the P4A example above, it doesn't count the same. While the Peggle example does violate the idea of cleaning up an UR trophy, the same could be said for allowing games like Zuma as well since even though it has an UR completion, it has no URs to its name.

12 minutes ago, Walt the Dog said:

What I don't get about this is that this decision also unfairly affects non-plat lists since they don't have a plat to use in instances like this. To put forth a possible use case, let's say that I decided to go through Peggle, a game that has UR trophies, and did everything (including the offline-only Peggle Nights DLC) except the online trophies, which are both non-UR and within the base list. Even though this is within the same jurisdiction as the P4A example above, it doesn't count the same. While the Peggle example does violate the idea of cleaning up an UR trophy, the same could be said for allowing games like Zuma as well since even though it has an UR completion, it has no URs to its name.

Zuma is an exception because that game would have been UR if it had a platinum without the mad DLC math behind.

Normally we picked up this rule because the 100% completed percentage is calculated through some Eldritch magic that we don't really understand on this site, compared to the base trophy list. I know @Arcesius debated this in more detail before, with not much success ? I didn't even bother to comprehend.

Since these cases are a rare encounter(your Peggle example, same as Zuma), you can ask us if game X is allowed, either via PM or posting here, and we'll tell if the game is OK or not, with arguments of course :D 

Edited by Copanele
  • Like 4

On 12/13/2021 at 1:10 AM, Together_Comic said:

Definitely in!  Though 10 games is going to be tough for me given how glacial I am 1f633.png.  Tentative list is above.  Though I'd really like a true platformer if anyone has suggestions.  Look forward to another great year.  Thanks for hosting @Copanele and @Arcesius

One of the "true platformers" I'm gonna tackle myself, one definitely inspired by SMB and the like, is Super Rude Bear Resurrection. Check it out! :) It's still barely UR, but that's again the same phenomenon as something like The End is Nigh or Splasher... Very few owners, only 9 100% achievers. 

Btw. I'm officially adding that one to my Tier 1 with this very post, before it stops being UR! ? I will post my entire list when I'm at my private laptop with PSNP+ enabled. 

23 hours ago, Walt the Dog said:

I don't agree that it unfairly affects non-plat lists. The example of Zuma is one exception to the rule. If you have a game like Zuma, with no UR trophies and no DLC, then the hypothetical platinum trophy would be as rare as the 100% rarity displayed here on PSNP.

Once you have DLCs... then that is not the case anymore. And it would be too much of a hassle to manually compute the rarity of a hypothetical platinum for those games. Could you for example tell me what the rarity of Peggle's plat would be, if it had one? (Just to be clear, in the case of Peggle, it would at least certainly be UR, but you get the point.. what about 100% games with DLC and no UR trophies? How would we know what the rarity of a plat would be in that case?) 

Personally, I don't care much for the Zuma example anyways, and I would be fine even with removing that rule. It was suggested by someone that in the end didn't even join the event last year...

Just to mention that we had that rule in place for the entirety of the 2021 event and, to my knowledge, no single completed game during the entire year was eligible thanks to that rule. 

What we definitely won't do is create more lenient rules to even accept 100% completions with DLC and no UR trophies. As @Copanele mentioned, I have been very vocal about how stupid the DLC rarities are computed here on PSNP and how it is even more stupid that the 100% rarity of a game does not follow the same computations, but we are still hosting an event on this site and thus need to use the numbers provided here. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I don't agree that it unfairly affects non-plat lists. The example of Zuma is one exception to the rule. If you have a game like Zuma, with no UR trophies and no DLC, then the hypothetical platinum trophy would be as rare as the 100% rarity displayed here on PSNP.

Once you have DLCs... then that is not the case anymore. And it would be too much of a hassle to manually compute the rarity of a hypothetical platinum for those games. Could you for example tell me what the rarity of Peggle's plat would be, if it had one? (Just to be clear, in the case of Peggle, it would at least certainly be UR, but you get the point.. what about 100% games with DLC and no UR trophies? How would we know what the rarity of a plat would be in that case?) 

Personally, I don't care much for the Zuma example anyways, and I would be fine even with removing that rule. It was suggested by someone that in the end didn't even join the event last year...

Just to mention that we had that rule in place for the entirety of the 2021 event and, to my knowledge, no single completed game during the entire year was eligible thanks to that rule. 

What we definitely won't do is create more lenient rules to even accept 100% completions with DLC and no UR trophies. As @Copanele mentioned, I have been very vocal about how stupid the DLC rarities are computed here on PSNP and how it is even more stupid that the 100% rarity of a game does not follow the same computations, but we are still hosting an event on this site and thus need to use the numbers provided here. 

Since I feel like my point may have been misunderstood (personally, I don't really care about DLC rarity stuff since DLC rarity is a fuck anyway and the way that it works with PSN 100%s makes it effectively impossible to see how many people completed those base lists once one or more DLC show up), I'd like to clarify it: my issue is that given a non-plat game with only non-UR trophies left for 100% (assuming no DLC, so just base trophies) and a platinum game with only non-UR trophies left for plat, the former doesn't count due to the lack of remaining UR trophies, but the latter does count due to the platinum itself being considered the missing UR trophy, something which cannot happen for a PSN 100% by nature (outside of weird cases like The Playroom that have pseudo-plats).

Let's take, for example, Sonic the Hedgehog 2: if I were to, say, do the speedrun of the game before the year ends, but wanted to save the Chaos Emerald and Super Sonic trophies for 2022, this would make the game ineligible for me as I could no longer earn any UR trophies for the game in 2022. Meanwhile, I can use Dragon Ball FighterZ just fine despite having done the only UR non-plat trophy already because the platinum itself is also UR.

This issue becomes even odder considering that the rules are lenient enough to allow something like Zuma that has no UR trophies to be earned even though logically, it should not count at all on account of having no UR trophies to be earned, thus breaking the "at least one UR trophy remaining" rule.

Assuming I haven't misunderstood the rules myself, the best way I could see to fix this would be to allow an exception for the "one UR trophy remaining" rule for PSN 100% games in the event that they had an UR trophy in the first place (effectively allowing the 100% itself to count as an UR a la the Zuma example assuming no DLC). Alternatively, getting rid of the Zuma exception would also more or less fix the inconsistency since while it would retain the unfair advantage to platinum games, it does at least ensure that in order to use a game for this, someone must always be able to earn an Ultra Rare trophy from it within the event.

Edited by Walt the Dog

2 hours ago, Walt the Dog said:

Since I feel like my point may have been misunderstood (personally, I don't really care about DLC rarity stuff since DLC rarity is a fuck anyway and the way that it works with PSN 100%s makes it effectively impossible to see how many people completed those base lists once one or more DLC show up), I'd like to clarify it: my issue is that given a non-plat game with only non-UR trophies left for 100% (assuming no DLC, so just base trophies) and a platinum game with only non-UR trophies left for plat, the former doesn't count due to the lack of remaining UR trophies, but the latter does count due to the platinum itself being considered the missing UR trophy, something which cannot happen for a PSN 100% by nature (outside of weird cases like The Playroom that have pseudo-plats).

Let's take, for example, Sonic the Hedgehog 2: if I were to, say, do the speedrun of the game before the year ends, but wanted to save the Chaos Emerald and Super Sonic trophies for 2022, this would make the game ineligible for me as I could no longer earn any UR trophies for the game in 2022. Meanwhile, I can use Dragon Ball FighterZ just fine despite having done the only UR non-plat trophy already because the platinum itself is also UR.

This issue becomes even odder considering that the rules are lenient enough to allow something like Zuma that has no UR trophies to be earned even though logically, it should not count at all on account of having no UR trophies to be earned, thus breaking the "at least one UR trophy remaining" rule.

Assuming I haven't misunderstood the rules myself, the best way I could see to fix this would be to allow an exception for the "one UR trophy remaining" rule for PSN 100% games in the event that they had an UR trophy in the first place (effectively allowing the 100% itself to count as an UR a la the Zuma example assuming no DLC). Alternatively, getting rid of the Zuma exception would also more or less fix the inconsistency since while it would retain the unfair advantage to platinum games, it does at least ensure that in order to use a game for this, someone must always be able to earn an Ultra Rare trophy from it within the event.

Well, the point of that UR 100% completion was more of an exception in case there were 2 or 3 users who wanted to play those 2 specific games xD 

But well, I can agree with what you are saying regarding the exceptions, therefore only the main rule will remain:

A game is only eligible it it had at least one unobtained UR trophy, be it in the main game or DLC.  

26 minutes ago, Copanele said:

Well, the point of that UR 100% completion was more of an exception in case there were 2 or 3 users who wanted to play those 2 specific games xD 

But well, I can agree with what you are saying regarding the exceptions, therefore only the main rule will remain:

A game is only eligible it it had at least one unobtained UR trophy, be it in the main game or DLC.  

That is disappointing to me. As someone who plays a lot of plat-less 100% games there are a lot more games that fall under that exception then just Zuma. I was eyeing 2 of them for my Tier 2 list.

I get what @Walt the Dog is saying but it seems like such a small use case I don't expect people to be abusing it to get easy completions. Instead of getting rid of the exception, since so few people are going to use it, just say that those games have to be 100% entirely in 2022. That way options remain open but no one can get an easy completion from it.

• Like 1

@Copanele (I am not quoting the thing because clearing spoiler tags is a bitch on mobile in general and I don't want my quote to ping everyone again)

> You can even do so in the same post (e.g. Swap and platinum x). But you can't complete a game and register it at a later date.

Is there any particular cutoff for this? I ask because I have a pachinko game running at all times that is effectively impossible to prep properly due to horrendous RNG (thus irresponsible to put in my tier at all). Assuming I were to get the plat, it's possible I would be unaware of it for a good 12-18 hours depending on when it popped (it goes in 13-hour shifts and sometimes it ends when I'm asleep or at work). Would it be fine to declare as soon as I'm aware of the plat popping or should I just declare it now to be safe and abuse the infinite swaps to swap it out for something else if/when I get the tier to 9/10 and it still hasn't popped?

Edited by Walt the Dog