Fallout 3 or New Vegas

ProGamerX56

Fallout New Vegas was great, but I didn't really like how you couldn't do everything in one playthrough. Sure it was great to replay the game differently, but I wish they had allowed you to carry you're character over and levels and skills and stuff at least. 

I enjoyed Fallout 3 much more since I could do everything in one playthrough. I've sunk 100+ hours into that game and its one of my favorites of all time. I'd definitely recommend Fallout 3 over New Vegas, but you can't go wrong with either.

I enjoyed New Vegas more, world was much more lively and not so serious that Fallout 3. Fallout 3 was good and solid, but for me something was missing.

But technically i recommend Fallout 3 because I don't remember any serious freezing problems, playing New Vegas in PS3 was quite painful some times, with all that freezing. Thats why i play New Vegas in PC, have over 300 hours gameplay there and still going.

I have played Fallout 3 GOTY Edition on PS3 and Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition on X360.

Both games are very awesome, but not equally awesome.

Both games differ from eachother making it hard to pick a favorite.

FNV improved certain mechanics that I missed in F3.

However some mechanics I loved about F3, didn't make it in FNV.

Example: Fallout 3 offers through Broken Steel (DLC) the ability to continue playing. It's fun to explore how some thing you did, impacted the world of Fallout. Through this DLC you can also end all missions. I really missed this in FNV. There was so much potential in seeing the consequences of which side you took in the end or simply continue to finish the missions.

Example: From the moment I entered the Citadel in F3 wearing Hellfire armor, I found it disturbing that they would start shooting me. FNV introduced us to factions which you could befriend or hate you completly. 

I could write an enitre comparison between these two games with tons of spoilers from which I will refrain myself.

Both games are really awesome and introduced me to the world of RPG's. However I would not recommend one over the other (unless you tell me your personal taste).

I would recommend playing both, starting with 3. Not because 3 is better, but simply because it came out first :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

for me it has to be without a doubt fallout 3 or the goty edition which is a must have... im a big fallout fan and played through the original games, fallout 3 keeps it traditional and respectful to the original devs games although changed from a top down turned based shooter... i was really dissapointed with fallout new vegas, at first when i heard it was planned i thought it was goin to be another dlc pack for f3 but it was announced to be a fully fledged game, unfortunately to me it plays like an elongated dlc pack with all the bugs and glitches thrown in for the ride...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

In terms of graphics and stability, how does the PS3 versions of the Fallout games compare to the 360 and PC versions? I used to play Fallout both on 360 and PC which played just fine, but compared to the PC version of the other Bethesda game Skyrim, the PS3 version is horrible IMO. It really seemed like they didn't optimise their engine for the PS3 at all. I just want to know if the same goes for the Fallout games. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about to have both platted, they're both awesome, I have to go with my west coast bias and say New Vegas though. Much less of a pain in the ass to navigate/fast travel without all those pesky collapsed tunnels in the Capitol. Although the main quest story in 3 is probably superior.... Like I said though, splitting hairs

• 10 months later...

I have finished both F3 GOTY (100%), FNV (platinum on PS3) and FNV Ultimate Edition (almost all achievements on X360).

I think they are both really great games and it's really hard to pick one as "the best".

They both lack something which the other one does have.

For example: it made a lot of sense that armor in FNV was sometimes tied to a faction.

Wearing certain armor with the opposite clan could end your standing reputation.

Because in F3 it made no sense walking with Enclave Hellfire Armor in the Citadel.

For example: Fallout 3 offers a ruined city, which is a lot of fun to explore.

It's filled with super mutants, the underground which connects most of it, pathways, hidden safehavens, ravaged companies, ...

FNV doesn't provide such sense of exploration. The city of New Vegas should have been more of a city and a lot bigger.

I can think of many other examples where one is better (to me) like atmosphere (F3), weapons and gear (FNV), hideouts (FNV), keep playing (F3), companions (FNV), story (F3), choices that really influence the world (F3),a more 'realistic gameplay (FNV hardcore mode) ...

I would like a sequel that combines the best of each game.

Edited by Mr_Freaker

• 1 year later...

I have finished both F3 GOTY (100%), FNV (platinum on PS3) and FNV Ultimate Edition (almost all achievements on X360).

I think they are both really great games and it's really hard to pick one as "the best".

They both lack something which the other one does have.

For example: it made a lot of sense that armor in FNV was sometimes tied to a faction.

Wearing certain armor with the opposite clan could end your standing reputation.

Because in F3 it made no sense walking with Enclave Hellfire Armor in the Citadel.

For example: Fallout 3 offers a ruined city, which is a lot of fun to explore.

It's filled with super mutants, the underground which connects most of it, pathways, hidden safehavens, ravaged companies, ...

FNV doesn't provide such sense of exploration. The city of New Vegas should have been more of a city and a lot bigger.

I can think of many other examples where one is better (to me) like atmosphere (F3), weapons and gear (FNV), hideouts (FNV), keep playing (F3), companions (FNV), story (F3), choices that really influence the world (F3),a more 'realistic gameplay (FNV hardcore mode) ...

I would like a sequel that combines the best of each game.

I come from the future Fallout 4 is here.

I've played them both and finished them both.. ive had/have problems with them both, they crashed all the time idk if its my old ps3 but it seams if you have less save files the less it crashes.

both really good games apart from crashing every 30-60min.

Edited by dHP-G_4816

Both games are fantastic and i still play them  to this day . I can never get bored of them, but i can say i liked F3 more than NV , mostly because i felt that the post apocalyptic Washington was done MUCH better than the Mojave desert . The Mojave just didn't feel like a real wasteland to me .

Was thinking about that as it has ~60 easy trophies related to quests and ~10 related to levelling up.

I've heard the GOTY edition has lag, is that still prominent.

if you have the XB360 version iyou can play it on the XBONE because fallout 3 runs better on the XBONE compared to XB360 or you can just play the PC version

Don't believe the hype like I did.  They are both bad games.  If you really want to play the game, save yourself the headache.  Either get it on PC or load up Youtube and watch a Let's Play Fall Out 3 and New Vegas video.  Can't stress how many times the game will freeze on PS3.

3 dog >>> Mr. New Vegas, so get FO3... First. Then play NV.

One thing to remember, one main quest on 3 can glitch if you have one of the DLCs installed, so I'd finish the game, then install the DLCs.

Fallout New Vegas, for tons of reasons is the better of the two

- Hardcore mode = more realism and survival options

- More branching storylines = player choice

- NPC-Player Factions = you get to choose who to align with

- More unique weapons and armor = player choice

- Ammo variety = player choice

- Player Freedom = only TWO npcs in the whole game can't be killed in New Vegas, compared to Fallout 3 which about 1/5 of the npcs are essential

- Better fleshed out dialougue and characters = 65,000 lines compared to Fallout 3 which had barely over 40,000

- Stronger backstory = game is more of a direct sequel to Fallout 1 and 2, more than Fallout 3 ever was.

Fallout 3. Now im not gonna totally shit all over this game so lets list the only pros it has

- Does a better job at making the game feel post apocalyptic

- More explorable interiors (larger buildings), and a very SLIGHTLY larger map

Overall it comes down to this... Are you wanting to play a Post Apocalyptic RPG? Or are you wanting to play a Post Apocalyptic Sandbox?

Fallout 3 is a better Sandbox game

Fallout NV is a better RPG

Edited by MafiaBrett
  • Like 2

I am an avid fan of the Fallout series and am looking forward to trying to get Platinum on both titles.

Fallout 3 has a much better story in my opinion and a more interesting landscape to explore. Not to mention 3-Dog. The Capital Wasteland is an absolute joy to experience.

Fallout: New Vegas has better DLC and better mechanics. Not to mention I absolutely love Ceasar's Legion. 

In my opinion, you can't go wrong either way, but if it was put to a vote. Fallout: New Vegas would take it. More endings, more customizing, and freaking amazing DLC.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Having finally completed every bit of 3 and started reading about and playing NV it's safe to say Bethesda Game Studios took a few pages out of Obsidian's playbook when they released 4.  Ditching the karma system for the multiple factions then letting your siding with a given faction drive the endings was obviously superior IMHO as I am planning out the 100% trip on NV it feels a whole lot more like 4 than 3. 

Hopefully NV had better/more diverse endings than 4 but I guess I will find out soon enough.

• Like 1