Sony Wants to Repair its Relationship With its Indie Partners

Abby_TheLastofUs

Yeah, I remember the stories about the discoverability part. Namely, how hard it can be to find the game in the PS store even by its name. Well, good to know that Sony is working on improving that.

https://www.psu.com/news/descenders-developer-shows-how-hard-it-is-to-find-new-indie-games-on-the-playstation-store/

https://www.vg247.com/indie-devs-talk-poor-visibility-ps-store-25k-cost-better-placement

Also, not related to the topic, but I just noticed that IGN is finally doing some quality journalism with the help of Rebekah Valentine (formerly GamesIndustry.biz). Haven't seen anything like that from them in a long time until her acrticle about Bungie and this one. Or at least it feels like I haven't.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EverythingOnFire said:

Yes, but that's not what this is about. It's about improving visibility/promotion, and making it easier for Indie devs to put their games on sale when they themselves want to.

Ah, so 100% of the games are indie.... awesome.

Also, yeah.... companies should be allowed to say when their games are on sale. I didn't know that. That's shit on Sony's part.

• Like 1

the indie games have been the best games lately so they should try to fix their relationship.   AAA titles have all been pretty underwhelming or repetitive.  More and more my wishlist of games is filling in with indies and less and less AAA.   I'm completely abandoning certain franchises going forward.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, steel6burgh said:

the indie games have been the best games lately so they should try to fix their relationship.   AAA titles have all been pretty underwhelming or repetitive.  More and more my wishlist of games is filling in with indies and less and less AAA.   I'm completely abandoning certain franchises going forward.  

The only stuff that really appeals to me is games like Elden Ring. Looking at Ubisoft, EA, and Activision, their library just feels meh.

10 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

The only stuff that really appeals to me is games like Elden Ring. Looking at Ubisoft, EA, and Activision, their library just feels meh.

I actually never completed a From software game until about this time last year and i like there games.  They are a step above the Activisions and EA's of the business for sure.  I have to say though, as someone else someplace on this site has already mentioned, if i end up running through a poison swamp in Elden Ring as i have in all the other From software games I've played then I may just be done with them too.  Don't get me wrong a poison swamp themed level is ok from time to time, just not every time!  Having played three of their games so close together It starts to feel like your playing the exact same game over again, much like a Ubisoft title.  Doing the same thing every time is a money grab technique.    they are doing what made them money in the 1st place because that is proven and safe so you end up getting the same thing every time you play one of their titles.  From Software gives you a gothic theme with great musical scores and checkpoints and shortcuts and boss fights.  Ubisoft gives you big open worlds with 1000 tasks to complete.    Neither of them are doing anything original, really.  I would still take From software any day. just saying.

This is pretty important and has imo been one of Sony’s biggest failings in recent memory. The Switch has completely outclassed both the PS4 and 5 in terms of indie library and it didn’t use to be this way. Sony has been sleeping on the indie market extremely hard and the result is that games widely anticipated even by a more casual audience like Hollow Knight 2 are launching on PC and Switch, not on Playstation.

• Like 3

In regards to the problems with Sony’s store, I completely agree that it is difficult to find indie games. But honestly, it’s difficult to find anything. The PSN store, at its best moments, is garbage. At its worst (e.g. when accessing it from your console)? It’s unusable, regardless of if you’re looking for indies or anything else.

One big problem for indies is the lack of QC on the store. How can a game like Salt and Sanctuary move front and center, when weekly releases like Our Church Halloween RPG immediately crowd it out? To fix these issues, someone with know-how needs to be fixing the store, and I’m not convinced that anyone like that exists within Sony. Certainly, none of their decisions have suggested it.

I mean, seriously, when’s the last time you said, “Man - I love shopping on the console store!”?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I mean, seriously, when’s the last time you said, “Man - I love shopping on the console store!”?

I only go through PSprices.com these days. All of the Sony store fronts themselves are garbage now. I haven't even bought a lot at all in the last year. A couple of years ago on the old web store, every sale was fun because you could actually browse the damn games in a variety of ways.

Something I noticed is that for weeks not a single Vita or PS3 game has been on sale in the EU. And by that I mean the cross buy titles with PS4. Nothing for weeks on end when there always used to be something. It's a bit weird.

On 14/12/2021 at 7:29 PM, The_Mighty_Ducks said:

What Sony really needs to do is repair their relationship with their customers. 

1. Stop censoring anything for the U.S. region.. Like whatever Nintendo allows, do the same.. 

2. That attempt to shut down Legacy console stores.. We like to play old games still.. I still buy games and play on my PS3 and Vita. Cause I can't play those console games on the PS4 or PS5, this is where the Xbox is King. 

I have more, but those 2 are my biggest problems with Sony. They were doing great, just going up and up in every aspect. But they've been declining. 

1) That affect every region not only USA and other American countries but is what is.

2) I don't disagree with that,  thankfully the reaction of PS3 users was quick.

5 hours ago, Happy said:

This is pretty important and has imo been one of Sony’s biggest failings in recent memory. The Switch has completely outclassed both the PS4 and 5 in terms of indie library and it didn’t use to be this way. Sony has been sleeping on the indie market extremely hard and the result is that games widely anticipated even by a more casual audience like Hollow Knight 2 are launching on PC and Switch, not on Playstation.

You can add Rogue Legacy 2 to that list. What's sad is I barely managed to see Axiom Verge 2 on here. Completely went under my radar.

Speaking of which, early indie titles on the PS4 like Rogue Legacy and Transistor have a substantially larger game owner count. Unfortunately, sometime after the website overhaul the site owner decided to stop tracking accounts automatically which meant that only people and users that regularly visited this website would be tracked. As a Premium Member I can manually update my profile every minute, but it takes around five or six hours after I gained a trophy on the PS4 for the website to automatically track it.

Turns out, you don't need all too good of specs to run most indie games so the Switch is actually a decent choice, all things considered. Sony in recent times has cared almost solely for the AAA properties, notably Naughty Dog with their Last of Us franchise despite all the backlash the sequel received.

They've turned down a lot of indie games, forced Japanese developers to censor their games and are seemingly out of touch with their player base. When they were still Sony Computer Entertainment before they became Sony Interactive Entertainment, you were certain a few decent indie games would arrive on the PS4. But no more.

There is stuff like Trigger Witch and other indies, but Sony has basically shoved that completely under the rug and barely anybody here seems to care that it is. Meanwhile they're happy to jump on Our Church Halloween RPG, which is absolute garbage and bottom of the barrel, showing Sony's obvious lack of quality control. Something they had during the PS3 and early PS4 era.

On 2021-12-14 at 9:47 AM, VigilantCrow said:

Support the Indies, especially the small teams. They're far better than the AAA garbage that gets pushed out.

You can just feel how much passion, care, and attention to detail gets poured into so many of these indie titles, especially when you compare them to these creatively bankrupt AAA titles that are continually released in broken, buggy states. 

Sony should be doing everything in their power to encourage and support these talented indie studios and help them get their games to market. These high quality indie titles could become one of PlayStation’s greatest strengths if the appropriate care was taken to nurture them and help them grow. 

Also they should be helping them promote their games too so they don’t get buried under the endless stream of shovelware sewage that oversaturates the market. It really does help. There are some indie gems, like Moonlighter for example, that I only discovered because they were being advertised on the PlayStation store as an Editor’s Pick or Hidden Gems or whatever. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

In regards to the problems with Sony’s store, I completely agree that it is difficult to find indie games. But honestly, it’s difficult to find anything. The PSN store, at its best moments, is garbage. At its worst (e.g. when accessing it from your console)? It’s unusable, regardless of if you’re looking for indies or anything else.

One big problem for indies is the lack of QC on the store. How can a game like Salt and Sanctuary move front and center, when weekly releases like Our Church Halloween RPG immediately crowd it out? To fix these issues, someone with know-how needs to be fixing the store, and I’m not convinced that anyone like that exists within Sony. Certainly, none of their decisions have suggested it.

It really is, and I honestly use another site for searching because it's amazing how you can't even search by dev or publisher.  At least platprices.com lets me search by publisher, but they can't do anything for dev since it's no longer on the store.  Also, why did they stop showing who the dev is for a game on the store?  Not all games have the same dev and publisher and that definitely hurts the smaller devs who have to rely on a publisher to get their games released.  While publisher can be useful for publishers like Kemco and Artifex Mundi who tend to release similar games, it's unhelpful for a publisher like Ratalaika who publish all sorts of games and the only trait they have in common is the tendency towards easy trophies.  On top of that, it shows a lack of respect for those devs with the implication that the publisher is the only one deserving of credit for the game when the dev is the one who did the most work.